Start by marking “Goblinheart” as Want to Read:
Goblinheart

Goblinheart

Using "fairy" and "goblin" in lieu of female and male, the author has created a timely allegorical fairy tale. A youngster named Julep, who lives in a forest tribe, insists on growing up to be a goblin rather than a fairy. The tribe learns to accept that Julep is a goblin at heart, eventually coming around to support the physical transition that must be made for Julep to l ...more
Hardcover, First, 40 pages
Published April 28th 2012 by East Waterfront Press

Brett Axel
May 24, 2012 Brett Axel rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
yes, i rated my own book. i am very proud of it.
Ami
Apr 16, 2012 Ami rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
At first glance, Goblinheart is just a fairy tale, albeit with fairies and goblins. In the book's fantasy world, the fairies have a certain set of physical characteristics and roles in the community, and the goblins have a different but complimentary set of characteristics and roles. Perhaps that sounds familiar, or perhaps not. Like The Story of Ferdinand, part of Goblinheart's brilliance is that it can be discussed as an allegory or simply appreciated as a fairy tale. As such, it is an ideal t ...more
Danny Wright
Dec 10, 2012 Danny Wright rated it it was amazing
I've never read a book before that didn't have gender pronouns in it. You can't apply your preconceived notions about gender to characters if you don't know what gender the characters are.

Its really a wonderful story even without that. One of my favorite books ever.
Terran Drake
Jan 21, 2013 Terran Drake rated it it was amazing
My dad wrote this book. He read it to me several times while he was writing it and made changes until I thought it was perfect.
Suzanne
Aug 07, 2012 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book...my grandson and I both loved it...met Brett at the NY Fairy Festival...very nice :-)
Transient Poet
Apr 18, 2014 Transient Poet rated it it was amazing
By chance, I happened to go to a poetry reading at Greenfield Community College where Brett Axel was the featured poet. I was surprized and delighted to discover that as well as several books of poetry he had a children's book that dealt with gender identity and transgender issues simply and not contraversially, for five and six year olds. I read it and it is truly great.

I can't say how great it would have been if the kids I had gone to school with had read this book before they met me. I think
Jennifer Pym
Feb 19, 2014 Jennifer Pym rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for helping children to accept and include people who are different from themselves. Because it is about goblins and fairies rather than boys and girls it doesn't ruffle any feathers, but the allagory is obvious even for a small child.

The book is beautifully done and amazingly tactful, making what might otherwise be a contraversial and complex subject plain and simple. There would be a lot less bullying and alienation of non-gender conforming children if every child read thi
Sweet
Jul 18, 2012 Sweet rated it it was amazing
Just a delightful story to read to a child.
David Bales
Apr 18, 2012 David Bales rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
A poignant and somewhat subversive look at transgenderism using "fairies" and "goblins" in place of male and female; cleverly arranged without any gender-specific pronouns, with a look at an interesting hidden world where goblins and fairies have "species-specific" tasks. Written for children but good for adults, as well.
Cheekyglitter Lilly
Nov 29, 2012 Cheekyglitter Lilly rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. Very cute and as a Kid i would have really needed books like that.
Ira
Feb 05, 2013 Ira rated it it was amazing
I am so glad this book exists. I think every 6 year old should read it.
Marthese Formosa
Jul 29, 2013 Marthese Formosa rated it it was amazing
For a kids' book, this book is superb. It makes you wish for more. The artwork is amazing although black and white. The story premiss is excellent and a good message for the kids- they can be whatever they like. If on the inside they feel like someone else, it's ok and they should trust that feeling.Also important to note that it was printed in an exploitation free place.

preview here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymHIUL...
Aleph Bet
Mar 03, 2014 Aleph Bet rated it it was amazing
I found this gem at the Augusta Lit6erary Arts Festival and brought it home to my children (6 and 8) they devoured it! They both loved it so much that I took a moment to read it myself and was really impressed. I hope the characters continue in future adventures, even a tv series.
Amy
Jun 11, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
Wonderful illustrations and a terrific story. There's no doubt in my mind that it will be an enduring classic. Reading it so soon after it was released and discovering it before it is huge feels like being a part of history.
Florence
Jan 24, 2014 Florence rated it it was amazing
I loved "Goblinheart," by Brett Axel. I thought this story was beautifully written. The illustrations were beautiful, and they were relevant to the storyline. What a wonderful and moving story for old and young alike to share. I love this book and plan to share it with friends.
Nov 23, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book for people from 2-100. My kids adore it, heck, our whole family loves it. The message that you can be who you feel you are inside even if those around you tell you that you must be something else because of how you look is beautifully done.
Aaron Dembrowski
Jul 16, 2012 Aaron Dembrowski rated it it was amazing
This has been Sandy's most beloved book since the day we brought it home from Fairy Fest. She asks us to read it at least once a week.
Aurthur
Sep 05, 2013 Aurthur rated it it was amazing
Best book I've ever seen for instilling good values at an early age: tolerance, acceptance of oneself and others, freedom to be who you are at heart regardless of what people expect of you.
Brian
Oct 23, 2013 Brian rated it it was amazing
My 8 year old is Julep from this book for halloween.
Wine and Cheese
Aug 31, 2013 Wine and Cheese rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet, delightful book for boys or girls.
Ybgenny
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for a fair review.

I loved it. It so gently explains the feeling of knowing your something else on the inside. The fear of making yourself standout and what others will think. And shows that life can be like.

Everyone I've share this book with loved it as much as I have.
One person maybe a bit more.She had been dealing with not "feeling right" in her body and the story seemed to have given her a bit of strength.

I really hope that this isnt the last we h
Dana Smith
Jun 13, 2012 Dana Smith rated it it was amazing
I read this and just cried. I want to hug the author, the artist, the publisher and owner of every store that carries it.
Brian Mccoy
Nov 04, 2013 Brian Mccoy rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly my new favorite children's book. A story about a young elf named Julep who grew up feeling like he/she was meant to be a goblin, is great for teaching children to accept people for who they are, not who they "should" be. Highly recommended for any parent that wants to raise empathetic children. I will be purchasing multiple copies of this book to distribute to friends and family.

In compliance with FTC guidelines, I must disclose that I received this book for free through Goodreads
Ashley Hartley
I chose to include this story in my text set because it depicts a community that not only respects the Julep’s feelings and manner of self-expression, they accept them. The community demonstrates the importance of providing individuals with respect and support.
Dill Gilley
Mar 10, 2015 Dill Gilley rated it it was amazing
a favorite of my 6 year old's library. a timeless modern classic
MaRia
Feb 24, 2014 MaRia rated it really liked it
Simply endearing.
Lauren Hotchkiss
Jun 27, 2016 Lauren Hotchkiss rated it it was amazing
I'd heard the book told from memory and was so impressed by it that I borrowed a copy of it to to use during Children's Time at a church I was serving. I just heard it told again at a Pride service I was leading and decided to order my own copy directly from the author on ebay. It will be a valuable resource and a good friend for many years to come.
Amanda Bowen
Nov 26, 2013 Amanda Bowen rated it it was ok
A bit of a tongue twister because of repetitive usage of names instead of a well placed pronoun. Story line is great for kids- don't let others tell you who you should be. Kind of choppy transitioning between pages toward the end and it ended sort of abruptly in my opinion. Fairies and goblins though- what kid wouldn't be interested in that?!
Julie Suzanne
Jun 28, 2012 Julie Suzanne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Julie by: the author
Loved the story and appreciate the tolerance, acceptance, and encouragement that it will bring to people (all ages). Couldn't get over the fact that it hasn't been edited (I'm an English teacher, sorry). I look forward to even owning another copy after it's MUGS errors are addressed and a final, polished copy is available. I do think it's an important book!
Dirk Century
Nov 12, 2012 Dirk Century rated it it was amazing
I would like to own my own copy of this book but can't find it. My local bookstore says they will have it next August when it comes out in paperback. It used to be on bn.com and amazon but there aren't even used copies now.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Sissy Duckling
  • The Boy Who Cried Fabulous
  • Oliver Button Is a Sissy
  • King and King
  • Los Mejores Colores/Best Colors (Anti-Bias Books for Kids)
  • What Makes a Baby
  • Free to Be...You and Me (The Original Classic Edition)
  • The Family Book
  • Kicked Out
  • Molly's Family
  • Roland Humphrey is Wearing a WHAT?
  • Awake
  • William's Doll
Brett Axel's poetry, fiction, and book reviews have appeared in over 100 literary journals and magazines.

He has three collections of poetry in print, edited the poetry anthology Will Work For Peace, and two children's books, Goblinheart: a Fairy Tale and the upcoming Friendship of Millicent and Tandy.
More about Brett Axel...