Start by marking “Under the Southern Sun: Stories of the Real Italy and the Americans It Created” as Want to Read:
Under the Southern Sun: Stories of the Real Italy and the Americans It Created

Under the Southern Sun: Stories of the Real Italy and the Americans It Created

Recently there has been a seemingly endless stream of books praising the glories of ancient and modern Rome, fretting over Venice’s rising tides and moldering galleries, celebrating the Tuscan countryside, wines and cuisine. But there have been curiously few writings that deal directly with Italy as the country of origin for the grand and great-grandparents of nearly ...more
Published March 12th 2003 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Under the Southern Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Southern Sun

Becky
Mar 06, 2008 Becky rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people interested in Italian culture
This eminently readable book -- part Italian history, part personal journal -- dissects the economic and social constructs of the Southern part of Italy in an attempt to understand what it truly means to be Southern Italian and why Southern Italians have gotten such a bad rap in Italy and the U.S.

The author is proudly of Southern Italian descent, and it seems he has a bone to pick. I can certainly understand that -- I am of Southern Italian descent myself, and no stranger to the stereotypes that
Valerie Mangual
Jun 27, 2007 Valerie Mangual rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any Italian American
This book answers many questions about why as Italian American descendents we never learned to speak Italian and the pride and shame that came with our heritage. A remarkable tale of the link that still exists between Southern Italians and their American cousins. Paolicelli makes a visit as a son of Italy and journalist to find out answers to many questions he has about his own family and the desendents of the "great immigration" (1870-1920).

This book will make you proud of being a descendent o
Mary
Nov 08, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
Excellent book. I was looking for information about Basilicata province in Italy - it's hard to find and this book explains why. Good background information about the southern italians who immgrated to America and why they came.
Nick Corabi
May 13, 2012 Nick Corabi rated it really liked it
I never knew much about southern Italian culture. I had no idea how much contention there is between Northern and Southern Italians, and while many people think that an Italian is an Italian, the truth is that Northern Italians look with disdain on Southern Italians, similar to how Northern Americans look at Southern Americans with some amount of disdain (usually not deserved). This book traces the historical foundation for the repression of Southern Italy, how that repression led many Southern ...more
Anne
Feb 02, 2009 Anne rated it liked it
This book was a fascinating and really helpful read for me since I'm currently living in Matera, just on the other side of the same little piazza where the author lived. I didn't find Paolicelli's writing style to be terribly gripping since it's a bit too sentimental and not challenging enough, but his subject is wonderful. He pays some overdue attention to a long overlooked area of Italy and to the Italian-American experience, on both sides of the Atlantic. Every time that I walk by what must ...more
Janet
Mar 16, 2015 Janet rated it liked it
Part travelogue of southern Italy and part (lite) social history of the contributions of southern Italians to the United States. This book would have been improved by some careful editing. It's a bit blog-like in places.
Al
Dec 09, 2015 Al rated it liked it
An interesting view of the millions of Italians who emigrated to the US from southern Italy in the latter stages of the 19th century and the early part of the 20th century. I learned a lot about the immigrants themselves as well as the southern part of Italy as it was then and is today.
Melinda
Jul 21, 2012 Melinda rated it it was amazing
Mr Paolicelli writes about a side of Italy that was never taught in school or even talked about. His book has inspired me to
discover my Italian roots, see where my grandparents came from. An amazing people, the Southern Italians.
Elizabeth Andrew
Sep 23, 2013 Elizabeth Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
Many thanks to Paul Paolicelli for providing the perfect reading for my trip to Basilicata to dig up family history. I'm now a proud Lucana descendant.
John St Evola
John St Evola rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2015
Maureen
Apr 02, 2011 Maureen rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it
Great for air chair travelers and those who love Italian Americans.
Grace Riordan
Grace Riordan rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Alberto
Alberto rated it really liked it
May 23, 2012
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2008
Bill
Bill rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2008
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2008
Greg Scully
Greg Scully rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2012
Peg Rogers
Peg Rogers rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Patsy New
Patsy New rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2015
Karen Abosso
Karen Abosso rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2014
Clarine
Clarine rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2011
Luigi Di Mare Volio
Luigi Di Mare Volio rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2012
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Joellen
Joellen rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2010
Gail Lidondici
Gail Lidondici rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2011
Janette
Janette rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2009
Leslie
Leslie rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2009
David
David rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2015