After The Darkness: Episode One

After The Darkness: Episode One (After The Darkness #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Even in a world of never-ending winters and permanent darkness, fourteen-year-old Nadia Comani has everything she could ever want: power, privilege, a loving family and most importantly warmth. But her family’s refusal to compromise their values changes everything. Nadia is cast down from her pedestal of power onto the trash heap of the lower classes. No longer guaranteed...more
Published April 2nd 2012 by Dark Tales Great Lives, LLC

Kelly
Feels Incomplete

(Full disclosure: I received a free electronic copy of this book for review through Library Thing's Member Giveaways program.)

I'm not quite sure how to review After The Darkness: Episode One. The first piece in a serial, Episode One feels very much like the opening two chapters of a larger book. Which it is, in a way. Unlike other serials I've read, though (and I admit that my experience here is limited; heck, I sometimes avoid reading duologies and trilogies until all the novels...more
Maggiemay1992
After the Darkness: Episode One by SunHi Mistwalker is a promising beginning to the After the Darkness serial.

Authorities have broken into the home of Nadia and her sister Mila to take them. Nadia is separated from her sister and sold by the corrupt officers. She is taken to an arena with many other girls on the Day of Service and told to collect as many tokens as possible. The girls fight each other in an attempt to collect them.

After the Darkness: Episode One starts off slowly, but I am lookin...more
Desiree reilly
The story start off with 2 little girls one is 14 and the other her sister.Nadia tell Milia to leave and hide under her bed but she said no they are there .Who is they? The men who kidnapped them are paid to get some young girls and then bring them to the lady in white.

They are paid good money and then they left, Nadia is brought into a room and then she groom and her hair is cut and then she is put in the room with some other girls and then take a bunk and then go to bed.

The lady in white bring...more
Kelly
1.5 stars.

After The Darkness: Episode One is the first instalment of a serialized novel by SunHi Mistwalker.

As I started reading this, what jumped out the most at me was how the author attempted to use language. I say attempted, because rather than coming off atmospheric and moody, it came off as overly pedantic and like Mistwalker made heavy use of the thesaurus. While this did let up a bit after the first 10 or so pages, it is still extremely persistent, so much so that it completely overshado...more
Rob Slaven
In a new variation on an old theme, I received this book in a LibraryThing drawing as did the other 100 people who requested it.

This teaser novelette of 40 pages is the story of a dystopian future in which the rich and privileged have grown very rich and very privileged while the rest live out hard-scrabble lives at the bottom trying to stay alive.

The setting here is interesting though very much like a lot of other dystopian futures with large populations. The haves and the have-nots are at eac...more
Jennie
This is a short dystopian novella that is fast paced and ends in a cliff hanger, as described. The book is hard to describe without really spoiling anything. The basic story is Nadia being separated from her sister and attempting to get out of her current situation so they can be reunited. It is set in the future of a privileged society and everyone else is scrapping to get their tiny piece of it. It doesn’t give a lot of back story so you don’t really know how she came to be in this situation o...more
Netanella
The first part of a serialized novel, "After the Darkness: Episode One" holds lots of promise for what appears to be a gritty, dystopian tale of a once privileged young girl who's cast down into the belly of the underclass. So far, the writing is spot on, and the character development moving along at pace.

I am interested.
I received this book as part of a giveaway. As the first of an episodic novel, this book started off somewhat slowly. The first few pages were somewhat trying and overly descriptive, however the story picks up quickly after that as the author seems to get more comfortable.

We don't see any examples of Nadia's life of privilege in this first episode, instead we see what remains of her life come apart. The concept and plot are interesting so far. I am interested to keep reading the story but will...more
Lizzy Lessard
This dystopian short short is descriptive to the point where the metaphors and imagery does slow the pacing of the story. I would recommend that you read this story without distractions and truly let yourself be absorbed by the world the author paints with her images. Not much is known about Nadia's "normal" life in the beginning of the story, as she is abducted along with her sister within the first couple of pages. The situation is bleak for Nadia and the people treat her more like a slave tha...more
Jan
In this first episode a young woman and her are captured by picked up by the “Ministry of Retrieval:The Fallen and Errant Special Division. After their arrest the girls are separated.
I enjoyed this first episode but unfortunately feel like I came in after the movie had started. I would have liked to have had a back story providing details on how the world came to be this way and what exactly was considered to be a crime.
That being said, the book was intriguing. One girls struggle to survive in a...more
Bill Thibadeau
I remember the serials at the movies when i was a kid. Now, I have come across a written serial. I like that I don't have to wait a week for the next installment.

The author has created an entertaining story and character set that makes me want to quickly grab the next installment. I enjoy the characters and the future setting. I found myself wanting to jump ahead to see what happens.

Fortunately, I have four episodes in my ereader. Unfortunately, I don't know how many episodes there will be or ho...more
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Calcane City is not a friendly place to live yet it's all fourteen year old Nadia's got. Nadia knows that any time soon they will be coming for her. Yet she doesn't have anywhere else to go either. Thomas Thumb and Percy Bright are sent out to retrieve dead or alive. Thomas isn't afraid of pocketing more money amongst other things. Percy doesn't want any part of this yet doesn't stop it either. Who would believe him any way. Percy's wife demands more and more which means collecting more and more...more
Lauren
Nadia Comani is cast down from a life of privilege and comfort to leading a life of servitude because her family stood up for what they believed in. In a world surrounded by permanent darkness and cold, warmth is something to be highly valued.

Even though I realize this is an episodic series, for being such a short first book the beginning started off relatively slow and descriptive. The plot and concept of the work is pretty interesting. I would recommend this book if you like post-apocalyptic...more
Margaret
I feel like some explanation or background information is missing in this episode. Maybe more will be explained in future sections. This is a fast paced, thriller style of writing, but there should have been more development of the plot, setting, and characters before the action started. However, the style of writing is good (excluding some editing errors) and the cliffhanger is effective.
Raven
May 16, 2013 Raven rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: lt
After The Darkness: Episode One is a Sci-fi, futuristic story that is revolving around a new world. There is quite a bit of set up to figuring out this world and you can tell there is more going on that what is described. In this book you meet Nadia, who is captured. She must participate in a "game" that isn't' quite a game when your life hangs in the balance.
Nora Black
Calcane City is a harsh, dispirited place; it is also the setting for a tense and interesting start to what looks to be an engaging read. The idea of making a serial out of the story should keep readers coming back for more, I for one, will continue to read it as it kinda grabs you by the shirt tails and drags you
Erin BookNut
I read this for the LT Member Giveaway. This first part of the serial has both very good and not so good elements. It definitely gets better as it gains momentum. It does sometimes feel like the author is trying to hard with the language but it's not too distracting.
Denielle
I liked the story, I will be looking for the rest. But I would have liked to have the complete book instead of one episodes at a time.
Deborah
Rather interesting must sign up for newsletter in order to keep up with series
Janna
Janna marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Kim Hamacher
Kim Hamacher marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Jennifer Arnold
Jennifer Arnold marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Samm.
Samm. marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Michelle Potter
Michelle Potter marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Mariliis
Mariliis marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
lewis king
lewis king marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
After The Darkness #4 Now Available 1 1 Mar 01, 2013 06:54AM
Future Survivors,...: *Free Today* Post-Apocalyptic Book 2 27 Jun 28, 2012 11:52AM
Author of dystopian and post-apocalyptic fiction. Mistwalker enjoys writing books about how societal collapse can change individuals and families. She specifically explores class, economics, environmentalism and state sponsored oppression within post-apocalyptic and dystopian futures.
More about SunHi Mistwalker...
The Shelter After The Darkness: Episode Two New Hope City After The Darkness: Episode Three After The Darkness: Episode Four