Start by marking “Holding on to Hope: A Pathway Through Suffering to the Heart of God” as Want to Read:
Holding on to Hope: A Pathway Through Suffering to the Heart of God

Holding on to Hope: A Pathway Through Suffering to the Heart of God

A healing book for those in the wake of life's devastating storms.
We can never plan for the unexpected turns of this life that sometimes lead to great personal suffering. Sometimes that suffering can overshadow everything and threaten to pull us under. Nancy Guthrie knows what it is to be plunged into life's abyss. Framing her own story of staggering loss and soaring hope
Published January 1st 2007 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published July 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Holding on to Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holding on to Hope

Mystery
Feb 07, 2015 Mystery rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-paperback
This was a fairly quick read, I finished it in a couple of hours. I found myself wishing I could have read this a year ago when struggling with the death of a friend and how much it would have helped me back then.

Nancy speaks very honestly about coping with the death of her child, Hope. She uses the story of Job to relate to and seek comfort from and I really found comfort in her words.

Like I said, it's a very short book so if you're not an avid reader then it shouldn't be too much of a problem
Casey Bradshaw
Jul 23, 2016 Casey Bradshaw rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful book teaching about suffering and how to Trust God through trials. If you are suffering, you will find a friend to relate and come alongside you as Nancie has suffered greatly through loss of her daughter at six months old. If you haven't yet suffered, the teaching in this book will help lay a great foundation to stand upon whenever storms do come.
Hannah
An excellent book about grief and turning towards God during that season!!
Darla
Sep 20, 2016 Darla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This little volume is a thoughtful dissertation on the book of Job and how we can all learn from his example. Nancy Guthrie speaks from experience and I so appreciate her candor and humble approach to this issue. A source of encouragement for folks in all sorts of troubling circumstances.
Clarissa
Feb 20, 2015 Clarissa rated it it was amazing
This book presents a lovely and Biblically sound view of suffering and its purpose in the life of believers. Using the narrative of Job alongside her own story, Nancy Guthrie gives us a first hand look into grief. Her conclusion is not that the Christian faith makes suffering less painful but that it makes it possible to move forward into a deeper relationship with God and enables us to hold on to hope. I highly recommend it. If you are dealing with grief yourself or if you are counseling people ...more
Nov 15, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very well done study of Job, written by a women who lost two infants to serious illness. The book provides great guidance on the importance of trying to make tragedy and illness make some sense by trying to see that God uses times of trial for good and that pain can grow our relationship with God. But the book is not pollyannish and talks about the very real pain and grief that life brings. There is also interesting discussion on how other people sometimes are uncomfortable saying anything to ...more
Gabrielle Daigle
Dec 07, 2015 Gabrielle Daigle rated it it was amazing
In Holding onto Hope, Nancy Guthrie gives a Biblical view of suffering, as seen in the life of Job and as she walked it in her own life when she lost two babies to genetic abnormalities. This book is steeped in the truth of scripture and in a beautifully accurate view of the character of God. You'll walk away from it feeling encouraged, challenged, and you'll want to pass it along to anyone who is suffering. I only wish I had read it sooner.
Beth Anne
Aug 13, 2012 Beth Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
This is a fantastic book. Her story about the hardships they've faced and how God brought them through is tremendous. She asks a lot of great questions throughout the short chapters, and the second half of the book is a 8-week bible study. I'm really looking forward to digging into the questions with our Bible study this fall.
Stacia
Jul 24, 2010 Stacia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book about dealing with grief. I was surprised at how her thoughts and thought process was so similar to things I have thought through dealing with some grief. She also really calls attention to how a person should interact with Christ through pain. I highly recommend this. It can be a quick read or a in-depth study of Job and it will really touch your heart.
Sharmaine Cerez
Mar 15, 2012 Sharmaine Cerez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a good read!
for those facing trials in their life. this will make you feel empowered that, yes, we are facing trials because God knows we can go through it.

And I still believe, he gives only what we can bear because he trusts us. it's only a matter of perspective and how strong is your faith.
Lynnea
Dec 25, 2010 Lynnea rated it it was amazing
Amazing! Nancy Guthrie, through her pain in losing a daughter, named Hope, really shows where (and from whom) her Hope comes. And while writing this book she found herself pregnant again with a child with the same syndrome that took Hope. And yet she still rejoices in God's gift.
Throughout this book the story of Job is told and the reader's faith is strengthened.
Pamela
Feb 07, 2014 Pamela rated it really liked it
This book made me think about the book of Job in a whole new way. What an incredible testament of faith that Nancy portrays having lost two babies to this genetic disease and helping others through their trials. Not only that, but reminding us that when we are faced with these challenges in our lives, that we need to look for the blessings that follow them.
Chola Mukanga
Dec 28, 2014 Chola Mukanga rated it really liked it
This is one of the best books on suffering and pain. It is deeply personal and biblical. She does not say anything that I didn't know. The stuff in it is simple. But it is so direct and so engaging. I need to read this book again and again. Nice and short!
Andrea Beltran
Aug 31, 2011 Andrea Beltran rated it it was amazing
A gift from a friend, this book is a ray of light, one that needs to be shared with others you feel may be in need of it. Clearly and concisely written with a simple yet powerful message: Jesus is coming. Trust in him no matter what may befall you.
Deanna Rinebolt
Dec 19, 2014 Deanna Rinebolt rated it it was amazing
Very good book. Looks at the life of Job to see how he handled adversity in a way that was honoring to God. She lost two children to a genetic abnormality that only allowed them to live about one year and she handled it well.
Keri
May 04, 2014 Keri rated it it was amazing
I think I will be recommending this book to many people. Nancy Guthrie has experienced the loss of two children to a genetic disorder. It's a personal story as well as a good study through the book of Job. I really enjoyed it!
Linda
Dec 05, 2015 Linda rated it liked it
Written for those going through tremendous personal suffering. I found it difficult to relate to this book, but I think it is a book every church library/counselor/pastor should read and have on hand to give to someone in the midst of suffering. Nancy knows her stuff.
Redlanternlady
Sep 28, 2011 Redlanternlady rated it really liked it
This is a really encouraging and hopeful book on suffering. The author writes from her grief over losing two babies at 6 months old from a rare syndrome. It's short, to the point and would be great to give to someone going through the death of someone close or a season of suffering.
Perky Texan
Jan 29, 2016 Perky Texan rated it it was amazing
Outstanding! An excellent resource for those suffering in the throws of grief and anguish. A quick, easy and immensely helpful read. Highly recommend for anyone trying to survive the storms in their journeys.
Liz Udall
Apr 26, 2016 Liz Udall rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. I've experienced a number of deep losses in the past year and this book met me in a deep place. Nancy Guthrie is someone well acquainted with suffering and for that reason is someone my heart had an easy time listening to.
Iya
Aug 28, 2012 Iya rated it it was amazing
This book helped me go through a bad breakup last summer, and it is still helping me survive my current breakup. Hope and faith really go together and with just those 2 elements, you will surely be able to overcome challenges.
Katie
Dec 16, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it
One of the hardest reads in a while. But she is right on point with finding Gods purpose in our suffering. Can not imagine ever going through what she went through but by just reading her words my faith is strengthened.
Erin
Mar 31, 2016 Erin rated it it was amazing
A short but Biblically sound and helpful view of suffering. The author looks at her own immense suffering through the lens of Scripture, specifically the book of Job. I found much encouragement and wisdom here.
Jmhadzima
Oct 17, 2010 Jmhadzima rated it it was amazing
The author parallels her grief over the death of her infant child to the biblcal story of Job. An excellent book if you are facing a life struggle or even just to learn how to better face life's challenges with a Christian perspective.

A very quick but powerful read.
Carrie
Oct 30, 2011 Carrie rated it really liked it
This is a tough read at times but very encouraging. I am currently doing a bible study of Job in conjunction with this book. Gives new meaning to what suffering really is!
Christina
May 24, 2011 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: previous-years
A wonderful book of hope, written by a gifted author and speaker. This is an amazing story which will encourage you to not waste your suffering.
Jill
Jun 14, 2012 Jill rated it it was amazing
Extremely helpful and easy to read. I have referenced her scripture references in the back of the book many times since completing the book.
Kimberly
Sep 10, 2014 Kimberly rated it really liked it
I liked the scripture ties this book has to pain and suffering. It is very eye opening and comforting.
Wenise Bos
Wenise Bos rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2014
Nicole Keck
Nicole Keck rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2012
  • The Biblical View of Self-Esteem, Self-Love, and Self-Image
  • A Lifting Up for the Downcast
  • Rediscovering Holiness
  • Paul for Everyone: The Pastoral Letters: 1 and 2 Timothy, and Titus
  • The Invisible Hand: Do All Things Really Work for Good (Paperback)
  • A Lifetime of Wisdom: Embracing the Way God Heals You
  • The Healing Presence: Curing the Soul Through Union with Christ
  • Children of the Living God
Nancy and her husband, David, and son, Matt, make their home in Nashville, Tennessee, where they attend Christ Presbyterian Church (Presbyterian Church in America). After losing two infant children to a rare genetic disorder, Nancy writes books that reflect her compassion for hurting people and her passion for applying God's Word to real life.

In addition to teaching a weekly Bible class at her ch
More about Nancy Guthrie...

“But because I believe God’s plans for me are better than what I could plan for myself, rather than run away from the path he has set before me, I want to run toward it. I don’t want to try to change God’s mind—his thoughts are perfect. I want to think his thoughts. I don’t want to change God’s timing—his timing is perfect. I want the grace to accept his timing. I don’t want to change God’s plan—his plan is perfect. I want to embrace his plan and see how he is glorified through it. I want to submit.” 4 likes