Start by marking “Prom Night and Other Man-made Disasters” as Want to Read:
Prom Night and Other Man-made Disasters

Prom Night and Other Man-made Disasters

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  13 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
If Mark Coggins's life were a supermarket, the stories from Prom Night and other Man-made Disasters would be the aisle markers. Meander through the nostalgic, riotous, and sometimes cringe-inducing wares Coggins offers up in his version of Whole Fool. Whether he's staking out the house of his two-timing, belly-dancing girlfriend, deep sea diving with equipment fashioned fr ...more
Published April 2nd 2012 by Philodox Press

To ask other readers questions about Prom Night and Other Man-made Disasters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prom Night and Other Man-made Disasters

John
Jul 28, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: IT personnel, people over 50, humorists
Recommended to John by: Amazon Kindle
Shelves: humor
How does one write a review about a book when one is still laughing?

Mark Coggins' Prom Night and Other Man-made Disasters has been described as "Deliciously quirky ... panache to spare." I'll pull no punches and say this: it's funny, yet it's real life for some of us. Climbing the Boy Scout ladder to the exalted rank of Tenderfoot? I can relate to that. Working model rockets with batteries that were "somehow involved in their ignition" to fly? I still laugh remembering that. Rug burns? I still
Daniel
Dec 30, 2012 Daniel rated it it was ok
I guess I get to be the sourpuss reviewer...

I'll start off by saying, the book isn't awful; the stories are nothing if not genuine. However, I found them to be a bit superficial. There wasn't much depth. Writing what happened isn't enough, especially in a book such as this. I now know about Coggins' various past relationships and jobs, but unlike the superior Sedaris or Burroughs, I'm not changed by reading it. There is a lack of significance in the writing, and along with that, a lack of impact
Glen
May 18, 2012 Glen rated it it was amazing
I won this book, Prom Night by Mark Coggins, in the Goodreads giveaway. Although I don't usually read a book that isn't full of action, crime ,mystery, etc., I am really glad that I took the time to open up the book. I found myself relating to a lot of situations, while growing up, that Mark wrote about. The book was very enjoyable, very funny and I couldn't stop smiling or laughing through the whole book.
Marty Cagan
May 30, 2012 Marty Cagan rated it it was amazing
could not put it down - I have read all of the mystery books by this author but this book is a step in a totally different direction. I think this is his best writing yet. Most of the stories are extremely funny. Some stories are poignant. It's all woven together into a whole that brought back so many of my own memories. I really didn't want the book to end.
Dawn Betts-Green (Dinosaur in the Library)
Yet another awesome find thanks to GoodReads giveaways. Coggins writes like the awkward geek I am, and I love him for it. I especially loved the Westboro essay, though I'm not sure I could have handled it as he did. I likely would have gone to jail. In any case, great read.
Jane
May 01, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it
Prom Night and Other Man-Made Disasters is a major must-read. His book is quirky and laugh-out-loud funny. Its hard to get into at first, but once i made it to the second chapter i was instantly hooked.
Mar 03, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
I won this thru Library Things member giveaways. I really liked this book and loved the author’s sense of humor. I would recommend this to anybody who needs a good laugh. I am so fortunate to win one of these books.
Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Charlie Archer
Charlie Archer marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Mike Campbell
Mike Campbell marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Rhiannon
Rhiannon marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Kareemah
Kareemah marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Nancy Sher malone
Nancy Sher malone marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Yomainbitch
Yomainbitch marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Lori
Lori rated it it was ok
Jun 11, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Andrea Visser
Andrea Visser marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Eddy Smith
Eddy Smith marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Zephyr
Zephyr rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2015
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2014
mizqueenie
mizqueenie marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Becca Strassberg
Becca Strassberg marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Jen Leboeuf
Jen Leboeuf marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Julia Legian
Julia Legian marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Jaec
Jaec marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Leah Juarez
Leah Juarez marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Liana Polimeni
Liana Polimeni marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mark Coggins’ work has been nominated for the Shamus and the Barry crime fiction awards and selected for best of the year lists compiled by the San Francisco Chronicle, the Detroit Free Press and Amazon.com, among others. His novels Runoff and The Big Wake-Up won the Next Generation Indie Book Award and the Independent Publisher Book Award (IPPY) respectively, both in the crime fiction category.

H
More about Mark Coggins...