Start by marking “Injecting Dreams Into Cows” as Want to Read:
Injecting Dreams Into Cows

Injecting Dreams Into Cows

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Jessy Randall’s poems are smart, funny, weird, and friendly. She writes about robots, love, friendship, video games, Muppets, motherhood, Pippi Longstocking, and the peculiar seductiveness of old Fisher Price wooden people on Ebay. She’s partial to found poems, prose poems, and short poems—bite-sized mouthfuls of surprising lyricism. Sometimes sexy, often hilarious, strang ...more
Published September 2012 by Red Hen Press

To ask other readers questions about Injecting Dreams Into Cows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Injecting Dreams Into Cows

S.
I love Jessy Randall because she makes me laugh and because everything she says is true, whether it's about children, marriage, libraries or games. I know it because I've felt the same way, as for instance, in "Celie at 4," in which the poet's child is like the cool girl at school rolling her eyes, and mother becomes the younger sister hoping to be liked. Or because I also know someone like the subject of "One Day, the Ass-Talker Stopped Talking Out of His Ass."

With some poems I get the feeling
Amorak Huey
As the title suggests, this is a collection full of whimsy, of delight, of discovery. Fun, in other words. The voice here is engaging and pleasant -- these are poems you'd like to hang out with at the coffee ship, snarking on the other customers, but sweetly, never in a mean-spirited way.

From "Rich People's Umbrellas": "This makes me want to take all the umbrellas / and stick them up the rich people's / umbrellas."

These poems breathe in the same air we breathe, walk the same sidewalks we walk i
Dayna
There are some absolute home runs in this collection. Randall's simplicity reminds me of Collins, and the zany, non sequitur jumps make me think of Zapruder. I especially loved the parenting poems because I can relate to them. "The Usual Forever" will be one of my favorites for, well, ever.
Jen
Dec 30, 2012 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
This 100 page book is a fast and largely entertaining read. It's fast partly because many of the poems are short and they rarely reach for any sort of depth. I would call Randall more of a "to watch" poet rather than one presently in full form. I like when she sees the surreal and the absurd in the everyday. I've been wondering when more of the realities of contemporary life would work their way into the topics and language of poetry. It has certainly arrived with Jessy Randall, who mentions vel ...more
Nan
I have one word for Randall -- quirky. And funny. And fast-paced. Did I say tilted? Twisted? But sometimes she seems to have too much glitter and not enough depth. I feel a little bit like the librarian in "The Library at Night" coming back to the library after the books have all gone wild. I miss the exclamation points, the stutters of words. Randall does seem to be at her best when talking about relationships, kids, and -- yes -- the library. She is certainly a talent to watch.
Lori
Jessy Randall is a girl after my own heart. Her poetry is about robots, muppets, monsters, dreams, video games, and motherhood. It's perfection parading around as paranoia. It makes you giggle, snort, hiccup, and gasp.

I stumbled across her collection just a few weeks ago while flipping through my twitter feed. Her Muppets Suite poem was linked through The Nervous Breakdown and I thought it was absolutely brilliant. The good news is... as awesome as this is.. there are poems within this collectio
Justin
Standard caveat: I don't really understand poetry a lot of the time. But I think this is a book you can enjoy without being a poetry expert. The poems are clever and fun, mostly accessible, and quirky without being TOO quirky, on topics ranging from parenting to libraries to phone sex to the Muppets. Also, I met Jessy Randall and she's totally cool. So if you like words, I recommend giving this a shot.
Elise
Wow! This collection kept me laughing hard! I love humor in poetry, and this definitely hit the mark. She has a one-line poem that was so simple, yet so real. I was lucky enough to meet Jessy at a poetry reading, and she was so down to earth, just like her works. They flowed well with each other, voicing concerns about life in a humorous manner. I am really excited to begin another of her collections. :)
Susan
I’m glad I read Injecting Dreams into Cows. These poems are not only whimsical and disjointed but also darkly humorous and illuminating in an uncanny way. Jessy Randall makes it look so easy!
Kaye Booth
See my review of "Injecting Dreams into Cows", by Jessy Randall here:
Jessy
Apr 22, 2015 Jessy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Green Markos
Green Markos marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Chang
Chang marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Rand
Rand marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Emily Freeman
Emily Freeman marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
R.
R. marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Nancy Freund
Nancy Freund marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Kate Bass
Kate Bass marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
A Day in Boyland The Wandora Unit Because Mona is in the Psychiatric Hospital Interruptions: Collaborative Poems Fainting Couch Idioglossia