Start by marking “Contemplations: An Anthology of Short Fiction & Poetry” as Want to Read:
Contemplations: An Anthology of Short Fiction & Poetry

Contemplations: An Anthology of Short Fiction & Poetry

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  22 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
ebook
Published April 14th 2012 by Black Kettle Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Contemplations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Contemplations

••ari
Mar 31, 2016 ••ari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 heartbreaking stars

This book is such a beautiful collection of some really heartbreaking thoughts. Wildly poetic, and hauntingly gripping, Lisa M. Gott has woven soul into her words. I loved every single placement of the words.

So many emotions, so many dark days, and just so many tears. Contemplations is a perfect meld of poetry and prose and stories that is sure to send shivers into your minds.

I was given a reader copy by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

..and now tarnished
Saarah N
Apr 22, 2016 Saarah N rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Astonishing!

It was amazing how so many different emotions can be provoked through short tales, this book is one of the sweetest. A valuable treasure, I especially loved the story of the grieving widow. As saddening and wistful as some of the stories were, there were others that were equally hopeful. I can promise that you will find a valuable tale in this book.
Jess
Deep reflective thoughts is an understatement of major proportions. Mainly of the poems or stories made me feel a range of emotions from acceptance to soul shattering heartbreak to happiness all over again. The last story was the only one I wasn't as thrilled with; however, I really enjoyed this collection.
Maria
Jun 25, 2013 Maria rated it it was amazing
There are writers who stand out from the crowd. L.M. Stull is one of those writers. I read a lot of books, but not many of them are able to keep me interested and make me feel compelled to read in this way. Not only that, but I was totally engrossed in the stories and really sensing the characters' emotions, and understanding them. L.M. Stull takes the reader to some dark places with this collection of short stories and poems. Reading the collection was almost like reading someone's private diar ...more
Michelle Olms
Mar 28, 2016 Michelle Olms rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book
Pamela Scott
Apr 24, 2016 Pamela Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, netgalley
Professional Reader

Contemplations is a great little collection of poems and stories. There is more fiction than poetry in the collection. I thought the stories were excellent but I did prefer the poems. I could happily have read dozens more poems. Gott writes the sort of poems I love to read. Every poem was striking and memorable. I was very impressed by the quality of the stories as well. They were beautiful, disturbing and haunting. My jaw hit the floor page after page. My favourite poems and stories are Broken,
Francisco Rapalo
Thanks to NetGalley for the copy.
First: I really like Lisa's writing style, is simple and fresh. I appreciate the hard work on words, is difficult find a simple but meaningful prose that SPEAK right to the senses, and this is one.
However, I found the title, the subtitle and (in general) the treatment of the subjects of the book, very cheesy, a childlike attempt of "Contemplations and deep thoughts". The subjects (a broken heart, bad childhood, friendship, traumas, sexual violence, etc) are so bi
Michael Ronn
Nov 20, 2014 Michael Ronn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a highly enjoyable collection of stories and poems. What really impressed me about them was the breadth of characters and emotion. There are happy stories, sad stories, disturbing stories, and stories that fall somewhere in between. I enjoy that sort of diversity in collections. The most memorable stories were "The Things You Keep to Yourself" (wow), "I Must Go", "A Lifetime of One Night Stands," and "My Vintage Rose". The last one, the longest in the collection was the most beautiful a ...more
Andy Mascola
Aug 07, 2014 Andy Mascola rated it really liked it
Contemplations is a charming mix of expressive poetry and character portraits. L.M. Stull's collection reads from beginning to end like a journey from the darkness into the light. The poetry presented within lovingly expresses relatable feelings of loss, longing, and alienation. The prose portions of this compilation provide mostly first-person narratives involving men and women, young and old, rich and poor, from all walks of life. This is where Stull shows her strengths most.

While slipping in
Alex Laybourne
Sep 08, 2012 Alex Laybourne rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection of short stories and poems. Each one filled with emotion, from thought-provoking to heart breaking, happy and sad, author LM Stull captures the full breadth of human emotion and expresses it perfectly throughout.

It is a testament to the writing that the short page or two stories and short poems carry the same weight and emotion as the longest, multi chapter story that comes at the end of the collection.

Having read A Thirty something Girl by the same author, I knew that I w
Elena
Jun 22, 2012 Elena rated it it was amazing
Contemplations

When I got Contemplations I didn’t have any before hand presumption – yes I knew it was a collection of poetry and short fiction but I didn’t know anything beyond that and well I’m not going to reveal any spoilers to all those reading this review because reading without knowing is really a great experience!

L.M. Stull doesn’t shy way from emotion and isn’t afraid to show the darkness that exists in everyday life. Don’t get the impression that this is a pessimistic book because it
Jennifer Jennings
May 09, 2012 Jennifer Jennings rated it it was amazing
L.M. Stull has a knack for conveying raw emotions into elegant prose. This collection of short stories and poems will enlighten and frighten you to feel all the sensations life has to offer; pain, joy and everything in between. My favorite story in this collection is "Come to Terms". I appreciate the lessons of this piece;"to ponder and enjoy even the most mundane happenings of everyday life." It is something I feel we all need to consider and live by.
Eden Baylee
Jul 09, 2012 Eden Baylee rated it it was amazing
I've been a fan of LM Stull's writing since reading her blog and A Thirty-Something Girl. This collection of flash and poetry is just another example of how beautifully she writes. I eagerly await her new book this fall.

eden
Valerie
Valerie is currently reading it
May 21, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Paula Fulkerson
Paula Fulkerson marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Elise Vazquez
Elise Vazquez rated it it was ok
Apr 26, 2016
Leah Labbe
Leah Labbe marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Astria
Astria added it
Apr 22, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Amy Linquist
Amy Linquist marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jody
Jody marked it as to-read
Kay
Kay marked it as to-read
Redshoes924
Redshoes924 marked it as to-read
Brenda Benoit
Brenda Benoit marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
K
  • Awake
  • Other People's Comfort Keeps Me up at Night
  • Lisa Robertson's Magenta Soul Whip
  • She Of Thorn: Poems and Rhyme of a Heart Unkind
Lisa M. Gott was born in Washington, DC, but found home in the heart of her husband. When she’s not weaving words, you’ll find her listening to the whispers of the wind, dancing in the rain, or curled up with a stack of books and a rich, intoxicating cup of coffee.

Her stories tell of the human spirit – sometimes sad, sometimes not – most can relate to them on some level or another.

Lisa is also the
More about Lisa M. Gott...