Start by marking “ヒカルの碁 17、なつかしい笑顔” as Want to Read:
ヒカルの碁 17、なつかしい笑顔

ヒカルの碁 17、なつかしい笑顔 (Hikaru no Go #17)

佐為が消え、自分の力だけを頼りに棋士の高みへと歩き出したヒカル。一方、その傑出した強さで、歴戦の棋士達を脅かす存在となったアキラ。日本囲碁界の新時代を背負うであろうその二人が、遂に真の初対局を迎える!!
コミック, 205 pages
Published June 2002 by 集英社

To ask other readers questions about ヒカルの碁 17、なつかしい笑顔, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ヒカルの碁 17、なつかしい笑顔

David
The only really important thing that happens in this volume is.. Hikaru finally plays Akira, in a professional match. It's their first real game since they first became obsessed with one another, their first game since Hikaru truly set out on the path of go, and their first real game ever, really, since it was actually Sai playing for most of their first game.

Surrounding this match, there is a lot of fillerchatter from the journalists of Go Weekly talking about the "rising tide" of new go player
Chris Aylott
Jan 21, 2010 Chris Aylott rated it liked it
Hikaru returns to playing go as Hotta explores a theme: "one genius alone isn't enough for a truly great game."

So much character development gets resolved here that I thought at first this was the end of the series. Checking the web, though, it looks like she's setting up one more major storyline before the end. The older go players standing around in wonderment at the new generation gets a little thick at times, but I'm looking forward to seeing where it's all going again.
Patrick Hoecherl
The ending almost made me cry.
Elaine
Jan 20, 2014 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The beginning and ending of this volume always get me. Hikaru's resolve to finally move forward is also great to read. The interaction between Hikaru and Akira has always been one of the central relationships of the series and so seeing them become front and center in this volume was satisfying. I also loved the little banter that Hotta inserts between the two at the end of the volume. They're always so serious about Go that is it easy to forget that they're only in middle school. The easy going ...more
Ben Nealis
Feb 11, 2017 Ben Nealis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
The best book Ive read in a while in this series. A good start, an ok middle, and a FANTASTIC end!
Timothy
Jan 25, 2011 Timothy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
This is probably the point in the series, where the phrase "Too bad it didn't end here" seems to be the most apt.

It's here where all the major threads of this series seem to resolve itself nicely: Sai's disappearance, Shindo's maturity, and Shindo's rivalry with Toya. But I guess, in the end, if a series were to end at their natural potential, then publishers wouldn't be able to sell as many volumes as they'd like.

Unfortunately, it's as if this volume was filled with unnecessary 'padding', that
Melissa
Sep 26, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, z_nihongo
どうしてアニメはこの巻の最終章までにあったかって、今分かりました。いい終わりと思います。もちろん、漫画はまだ6巻があります。楽しみ~

Anime-manga match-up:
2nd half of ep 70 = vol 17 up to pg 25 (第140~140.9局)
ep 71 = vol 17 pgs 26-51 (第140.9~141局)
ep 72 = vol 17 pgs 54-92 (第142~143局)
ep 73 = vol 17 pgs 94-135 (第144~145局)
ep 74 = vol 17 pgs 137-177 (第146~147.9局)
ep 75 = vol 17 pgs 176 to end (第147.9~148局)

Actually, the 2nd half of the final episode contains scenes from the first chapter of volume 19 followed by wrap-up/closure. And that ends the anime. A few more manga
Kirsten
Couldn't find a record for the English language version -- sadly, I do not speak Japanese.

I found this volume of the series genuinely moving, as Hikaru realizes that now that Sai is missing, the closest he can get to him is to play go, and to play go as well as he can. I'm still not sure how Yumi Hotta manages to get me tense over the outcome of a go match, but she's pretty damn good at it.
Ben Nash
This story is comfort food for me. I can't quite put my finger on what keeps me rereading/rewatching this and the anime, but my interest in Go certainly helps. I also like that it's a generally positive story about getting good at something
Sophie
This is getting better and better. And it has everything I could ever want from a series. Gah, watching Hikaru and Akira play was intense, and for Akira to sense who Sai was gave me goosebumps. As did Hikaru's dream in the end. (Actually, that one almost made me cry.) Wonderful stuff.
Lucy
Jan 26, 2010 Lucy rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books, fun, fiction
...read the english version
Thomas Andrikus
Jun 01, 2013 Thomas Andrikus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, the match we've been waiting for has arrived in this volume. It's not as exciting as expected, though...the denouement is somehow kinda lacking.
Ellen
Oct 07, 2016 Ellen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
filler filler filler and ongoing SAD but at least. we're looking up. motivation! in the distance!
Moon
Dec 09, 2009 Moon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!Can't wait for the next book!
Tiffany Walker
Tiffany Walker rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2009
Eve Terathaweedoun
Eve Terathaweedoun rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2015
wolfhunter
wolfhunter rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Carles
Carles rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2015
Evan Bartholomew
Evan Bartholomew rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2011
Anslie
Anslie rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2015
Andrew Wilkerson
Andrew Wilkerson rated it it was ok
Jun 08, 2016
Sasha
Sasha rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2014
Azyla X
Azyla X rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2013
Pinkforink
Pinkforink rated it really liked it
May 14, 2012
Erdbeertee
Erdbeertee rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Brian R. Mcdonald
Brian R. Mcdonald rated it liked it
May 28, 2010
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2013
Jesslynman Pei sze
Jesslynman Pei sze rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2013
Michael Foley
Michael Foley rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2012
  • The Prince of Tennis, Volume 10: Seize the Moment! (The Prince of Tennis, #10)
  • Embracing Love, Vol. 6
  • Crazy Girl Shin Bia Volume 16
  • 跪いて靴にキスを [Hizamazuite Kutsu ni Kiss wo] [Kneel Down and Kiss my Boots] (星の館 [Hoshi no Yakata], #1)
Yumi Hotta (堀田 由美 Hotta Yumi, most often written as ほった ゆみ) is a Japanese mangaka, best known as the author of the best-selling manga and anime series Hikaru no Go, about the game of go that is widely credited for the recent boom of the game in Japan. The idea behind Hikaru no Go began when Yumi Hotta played a pick-up game of go with her father-in-law. She thought that it might be fun to create a ...more
More about Yumi Hotta...

Hikaru no Go (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 1: Descent of the Go Master (Hikaru no Go, #1)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 2: First Battle (Hikaru no Go, #2)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 3: Preliminary Scrimmage (Hikaru no Go, #3)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 4: Divine Illusions (Hikaru no Go, #4)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 5: Start (Hikaru no Go, #5)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 6: The Insei Exam (Hikaru no Go, #6)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 7: The Young Lions Tournament (Hikaru no Go, #7)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 8: The Pro Test Preliminaries: Day Four (Hikaru no Go, #8)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 9: The Pro Test Begins (Hikaru no Go, #9)
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 10: Lifeline (Hikaru no Go, #10)