Start by marking “The Casual Vacancy” as Want to Read:
The Casual Vacancy

The Casual Vacancy

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  165,842 ratings  ·  23,339 reviews
Grca_badge_winner
A BIG NOVEL ABOUT A SMALL TOWN ...

Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war.

Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at
Published September 27th 2012 by Little Brown

To ask other readers questions about The Casual Vacancy, please sign up.

Andrea After I read this book, I returned it to the library and my kids asked about the author (they recognized JK Rowling). So I started ttelling them about…moreAfter I read this book, I returned it to the library and my kids asked about the author (they recognized JK Rowling). So I started ttelling them about the book and it came to me that my favorite character was Krystal Weedon and my least favorite was Fats. Krystal was put into such a desperate situation from how she was raised. Through no fault of her own, she was left to raise her baby brother and try to keep her mother from using heroin and losing the family. Plus, she had to go to school and deal with the death of Barry Fairbrother, her mentor and only ally. Fats, on the other hand, was a manipulative and calculating jerk. He took advantage of everyone's weaknesses and exploited them for his own enjoyment. I thought this was a great read!(less)
Amani Bey around the 300th page it picks up and moves fast. I was the same way. Rowling does a lot of character development and little plot development, but…morearound the 300th page it picks up and moves fast. I was the same way. Rowling does a lot of character development and little plot development, but when the plot finally unfolds, it is all worth it. The way she grasps human nature... Ahh. It's really worth it, but it does seem slow as hell (less)
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakWinter Garden by Kristin HannahA Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Best Books to Read When the Snow Is Falling
209th out of 1,050 books — 1,502 voters
Insurgent by Veronica RothDivergent by Veronica RothCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareCity of Glass by Cassandra Clare
BOOKS TO TOTALLY DIE FOR!
50th out of 120 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Nataliya
J.K.Rowling gave a whole generation of kids an amazing fantasy to dream about (*).

Then she wrote this book that has many of the same elements, only without the safe haven of magic (**). Basically, this is a real world where a strange man showing up at your family's doorstep at night is less likely to be a magical school groundskeeper but more likely your family's drug dealer who, by the way, may not be adverse to beating and raping you for good measure.(***)

It's the world left for Dudley Dursl
Mith
How (not) to read The Casual Vacancy :

1. DON'T read it just because it's written by JK Rowling.
2. DON'T expect it to be like Harry Potter - i.e, magic stuff. (Read the blurb, nimrod)
3. DON'T expect a murder mystery - it isn't one.
4. DON'T read it if you are not comfortable with the fact that the woman who might have moulded your childhood, is writing about drugs, teen sex, prostitution, rape etc. - this book isn't for you.
5. DON'T compare this with her previous works, for the love of God!

When it
Nina ♥
Aug 21, 2013 Nina ♥ is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
(view spoiler) ...more
Amanda
28 Sept. '12
I have to start by saying, that if you're expecting a (murder-)mystery novel; a plot submerged in conspiracies and political maneuverings, you will be sorely disappointed. If you're hoping to be transported to another magical adventure, you'll receive an even greater plummet back down to earth.

Look. If you're going to read this just because it has JK Rowling's name splattered on there, I strongly advise you to sit back, take a look at your computer screen, and read that book descri
Krys

The Casual Vacancy = Mind Blowing.

There is a quote in J.K. Rowling's newly released book, The Casual Vacancy, that sums up the tone of this novel perfectly.

"The mistake ninety-nine percent of humanity made, as far as Fats could see, was being ashamed of what they were, lying about it, trying to be somebody else. Honesty was Fats' currency, his weapon and defense. It frightened people when you were honest; it shocked them. Other people, Fats had discovered, were mired in embarrassment and preten
Haleema
WOAH. Why didn't I know about this before? Rowling is writing another book?!

Oh my Rowling.
I AM GOING MAD!

Like this...

Then this... (ahem...)

Then this...

And then this...

Then this...

description

This is incredible, considering I'm still experiencing PTPD. (Post Traumatic Potter Disorder). *stuffs her face with chocolate frogs* BUT! Listen, people. I'm not extrememely excited for this book because it's not fantasy. And I don't mean Harry Potter's continuation. Please, as much as I loved HP, I don't need to read
Steph Sinclair

EDIT #2: I'll probably still give this a go out of curiosity. And because I do love our Queen J.K.

EDIT: I am extremely disappointed in that cover. *cringe* It screams "no effort." I was excited, but after reading the synopsis and seeing the cover, not so much.

Words can't express how excited I am about this book!

Oh, yeah and the Dark Lord approves too.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Jon
Find more of my controversial reviews at Scott Reads It

After rereading my review of The Casual Vacancy I realized it sounded sloppy and very unprofessional. I decided to edit my entire review and start from scratch.

I had such high expectations for The Casual Vacancy and I was extremely letdown. I'll admit that the only reason that I read this book is because I adore J.K. Rowling and her Harry Potter series. I was so excited to read a new J.K. Rowling book that I didn't care that The Casual Vaca
Nilesh Kashyap
6.11 A casual vacancy is deemed to have occurred:
(a) when a local councillor fails to make his declaration of acceptance of office within the proper time; or
(b) when his notice of resignation is received; or
(c) on the day of his death …
Charles Arnold-Baker
Local Council Administration,
Seventh Edition

Barry Fairbrother, local councillor of Pagford lay dead on the ground in pool of his own vomit. His death creates a situation called ' casual vacancy '. A lot of people of people are willing to fill Ba
Stephen King
Not since Peyton Place has a writer so enthusiastically stripped the lace covers from small-town life to show the maggots of greed, lust, snobbery, and ambition squirming beneath—only Grace Metalious didn’t have Jo Rowling’s wicked sense of humor. The village of Pagford may be British, but the human foibles there are universal. Like the best social comedies, The Casual Vacancy features wit on top and outrage simmering below.
Anachronist
Synopsis:

When Barry Fairbrother dies suddenly of aneurism in his early forties, leaving his family and a lot of unfinished issues behind, the town of Pagford is in shock. He was a well-known councilor and a coach of the local female rowing team. He was also a man with a mission. Who will fill his shoes? Will his death benefit his allies or his enemies?
Surprisingly there are more than one or two token candidates. Pagford, seemingly an English sleepy town like many others, with a cobbled market sq
Bonnie
Jul 25, 2014 Bonnie marked it as dnf
Shelves: adult, library, mystery
Update 7/3/2012: Well... I can't lie. That is one seriously disappointing cover.

A 2012 release date?!?!?!? SO EXCITED.

Enough said.
Issy
This book is utterly heartbreaking, but real, gritty, and slightly sickening.

I had no idea what this novel was going to be about when I bought it yesterday. Being 17, I have grown up living and breathing Harry Potter. It is correct to assume that this novel is an utter contrast to the Harry Potter series. But I think it is a most naive error to try to compare the two works. It goes to JK Rowlings credit that she can produce such varied pieces, and write them so well!

I love this novel. I find th
Hannah
Oct 04, 2012 Hannah marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I didn't have any giddy expectations for Rowling's first foray into the world of adult fiction, but will admit to being curious as to how she would approach it. Now with 64 pages under my belt, my personal verdict is in: Did not Finish.

It's not a badly written book, but what little I read I found dull and pedestrian, which surprised me more then anything given Rowling's richly imaginative mind. In addition, the crude language seemed more forced then natural, almost as if Rowling needed to drive
Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
***UPDATE APRIL 2014: A BBC/HBO co-production of this book will start filming this summer, and will air in 2015 (most likely). An interesting video talk by Rowling about this book. 35 minutes.

Rating: 3* of five

The Publisher Says: When Barry Fairbrother dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock.

Rich at war with poor, teenagers at
Kara
Gritty, realistic, layered portrait of a small town in crisis. In the fallout of parish councillor Barry Fairbrother's death, the stories of a diverse cast of unhappy people are woven together: some likeable, most not. The upcoming election for Barry's empty council seat fuels a sea of pettiness, gossip, and self-interest, and long-simmering resentments come to a head.

Let me start off by mentioning, as everyone else has, that this is not Harry Potter. Muggles only. In addition to the conspicuou
Gemma
The Casual Vacancy is Rowling deciding in her junior year of high school that she doesn't want to be the quiet good girl anymore, so she goes out and dyes her hair some shade of neon and starts dressing all in black and listening to screamo and leaves her debate club and choir friends for the poetic crowd. She gets a few piercings and smokes about two cigarettes, and her parents are worried, but they don't need to be. It's all experimental, part of her development as a person, her learning who s ...more
Jane
Where I got the book: my local library.

It took me a while to decide to read this book; I had really enjoyed the Harry Potter books but would not go so far as to call myself a fan of JK Rowling, and why would I be interested in her as an adult-novel writer anyway? I'd seen a fair amount of negativity on reader loops; people didn't like the swearing, the book was too different from Harry Potter, there were too many characters so the story was confusing, etc. And then when this novel won the Goodre
Raeleen Lemay
*4.5*
I went into this book expecting to hate it, and I'll admit, it started off pretty slow. However, as the story progressed, each character grew more and more, and I became emotionally attached to a couple of them, Krystal Weedon in particular. This is one of those books that I know I'll fully enjoy the second time I read it, since now I know all the characters it'll be much easier to follow. Overall, amazing book.

I also get sad whenever I listen to Umbrella now, which I keep doing for some re
Janne Varvára
I admit it! I gave up! I've read 20% of this book, and I left it at that. Here's why:

The reason we're all reading this book is because it says "J.K. Rowling" on the cover. Associations: Spellbinding plots, humour, strange characters, action, excitement, magic...
I'm reading it because it's written by J.K. Rowling. And because it's by her, I can't believe I gave up.
I feel bad comparing it to Harry Potter, because it's a totally different novel. It's realistic, and set among ordinary people in a sm
Ta§chima Cullen
The cover is out... When I first laid eyes on it I just couldn't breathe. Is this what the world has come to? Let me go on a rant here.

1.It is plain.

2.What's with those colors?! It's like, yellow, and that weird peach that borders on reddish... It makes my eyes want to drink heavily and then jump off a building just to see which hurts more, the dying or looking at this cover for more than a second.

3.We have come a long way in book covers, this looks like a cover of a book made in the 70s. The co
Mohammed Arabey
Arabic / English Review
مع ان الريفيو الانجليزي للكتاب ده اول ريفيو اكتبه هنا
بس حابب اشارك بريفيو عربي بمناسبه صدور نسخه عربيه من الروايه
description
الروايه دي عشان تستمتع بيها لازم تنسي خالص انها تأليف صاحبه اجمل كتب السحر, الجمال والحب والخير والشجاعه ورسالتها الممتازه
لان المقارنه بين الروايه دي وسلسله هاري بوتر هو سبب تقيماتها الضعيفه بالرغم من حصولها علي جائزه جودريدز 2012

ولكن هل هذا معناه ان الروايه ليست بساحره ولا بها جمال او حتي رساله؟

بالعكس... الروايه ساحره سحر الواقع شديد القبح
بها نفس كميه الحب
Bobbie
I think J K Rowling is a brilliant writer and I would have bought this book if it were $117.99 and written in pencil on toilet paper. It is distressing that readers punish the author for the greed of the publishers. I had no idea what to expect and for some reason I was thinking Agatha Christie or PD James. Truth is, it was more like Salinger or Vonnegut, harsh realism and depressing insight into human weaknesses. The book is gritty, dark, humorous, and too believable. The characters are real, f ...more
Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish)
No title, no synopsis, no publication date, and yet I'm still all:

Edit 4/12/12: Apparently, there's a title and description now!

Regina
Check out this review and others like it at BadAssBookReviews

Casual Vacancy is a beautifully written work of art. Nothing has been missed in the story. No storyline was neglected. Every character and every scene is perfectly orchestrated to completion. Reading Casual Vacancy is like eating that perfect meal. It starts off with an explosion of flavor, akin to a beautifully prepared appetizer and from there Rowling guides the reader through a perfectly told story that is nicely sustained. A good
B0nnie
description
‘Umbrella’: Written by Terius Nash, Christopher ‘Tricky’ Stewart, Shawn Carter and Thaddis Harrell © 2007 by 2082 Music Publishing (ASCAP)/Songs of Peer, Ltd. (ASCAP)/March Ninth Music Publishing (ASCAP)/Carter Boys Music (ASCAP)/EMI Music Publishing Ltd (PRS)/Sony/ATV Music Publishing (PRS). All rights on behalf of WB Music Corp. and 2082 Music Publishing Administered by Warner/Chappell North America Ltd. All Rights on behalf of March Ninth Music Publishing Controlled and Administered by Son
Barry Pierce
I really liked this. I knew I would. The plot seemed long and boring, two things that I love in books. Rowling is clearly a master storyteller, it's evident in this novel. The plot was really captivating, I honestly could not stop reading. The novel overall reminded me of Hardy, you get this overview of a town and its large cast of characters. Obviously this isn't anywhere near the brilliance of Hardy but it echoes him well.

The problems that I had with this was that, at the beginning I felt tha
Manon
February, 23th 2012: I'm totally going to read this, even though it is about a cat learning to fly or a slug eating leaves (even though I'm sure it won't).
If J.K. Rowling writes it, it will be a great book.

April, 12th 2012: WE HAVE ITS NAME!
AND ITS SYNOPSIS!
OH MY GOD.
I AM TOTALLY EXCITED.
That's great, right?

November, 1st 2012: (edited 10/08/2013) Okay hmm this book was clearly not what I was expecting.
It was greatly written as usual, and I did like it, but really, when they said this was for adults I wouldn't have
Choco
Sep 11, 2012 Choco marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Uh, hi, I think I might read this when no one is reading it, so that I can read it without thinking, "Oh, I'm reading a JKR book! Her writing is perfect! OH THIS IS NOT HARRY POTTER!"
I have a feeling I'm going to be biased, because I've always liked Rowling, so I think it's best to wait when not everyone is reading this book, and I don't feel any pressure... and when I can think it's just an ordinary book by whatever author...

AH I DON'T KNOW HOW TO EXPLAIN!

Does anyone understand what I'm trying
Maddison Dru
I'm going to be honest, this doesn't sound like a book I would normally be into. Buttttt since it's from J.K. of course I am going to read it. I am sure it will be brilliant.

Side note: Anyone else think of Hot Fuzz when reading the description? Just a little?

hot fuzz Pictures, Images and Photos
2015 Reading Chal...: The Casual Vacancy by J.K Rowling 7 20 15 hours, 38 min ago
Crazy for Young A...: Pair 13: Trisha and Jessica (January 2015) 33 110 Dec 18, 2014 10:12PM
Do you hate the use of GIFs? 216 1005 Dec 15, 2014 08:56AM
Ask J.K. Rowling a Question About The Casual Vacancy 1792 10043 Nov 29, 2014 01:22PM
The Not-So Austen...: The Casual Vacancy ~ Small Screen News 2 14 Nov 29, 2014 12:52AM
At least one similarity between this and Potter 5 91 Oct 22, 2014 02:49PM
The worst character 37 584 Oct 21, 2014 05:57AM
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth #1)
  • Harry, a History: The True Story of a Boy Wizard, His Fans, and Life Inside the Harry Potter Phenomenon
  • Dear Mr. Potter: Letters of Love, Loss, and Magic
  • Raven Girl
  • Astray
  • Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend
  • Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops
  • Running the Rift
  • Broken Harbour (Dublin Murder Squad, #4)
  • The Horologicon: A Day's Jaunt Through the Lost Words of the English Language
  • The Autistic Brain: Thinking Across the Spectrum
  • The Emperor's Conspiracy
  • Every Day (Every Day #1)
  • Love, Life, and Elephants: An African Love Story
  • The Panopticon
  • Lucid
  • The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls
  • The Gates (Samuel Johnson, #1)