The Pearls (Pearls and the Crowns, #1)

The Pearls (Pearls and the Crowns #1)

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Lady Lea-beloved sister of the Emperor Caelan-is gifted with the ability to see into others' hearts and when she is moved to tears, those tears become pearls. When the hardened warrior Lord Shadrael kidnaps her and takes her through the fearsome Hidden Ways of the shadow world, Lea can foresee her destiny in him. For if she is to save Shadrael from his own darkness, she wi...more
Published November 27th 2007 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about The Pearls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pearls

Karina
I forgot what it's like to fall into one of Deborah Chester's novels and worlds: think epic battles of good vs. evil with real heroes and villains, heroines with spunk, and of course a romance thrown in. But the momentum always keeps you guessing and on the edge of your seat.

In this series, we meet Lea, sister to the emperor and beloved of all. In a ploy to dethrone her brother, she is kidnapped by a former army hero who no longer has a soul and fights the madness within him on a daily basis.

I s...more
Catherine
I rather liked this one. It was soon obvious as I was reading that I missed a lot of the world building and magic system from the previous trilogy (I was unaware the books were connected when I bought this one), but I still managed to enjoy it and I even put the previous trilogy on my "to read" list. A quick perusal told me this book has ratings all over the map, and I can understand why. There's not a lot of character development (though I do like Shadrael, Lea, and Thirbe) and the plot is rath...more
Ariestess
This book was actually one I found at Value Village and picked up for like $2 as it sounded interesting. I'm glad I actually bought it, as I really liked it, and can't wait to get the sequel, as well as the other books by this author.
Lucina
1.5 Sterne

Okay, "Die Tränen des Lichts" war eine ziemliche Enttäuschung, besonders wenn man die ganzen positiven Bewertungen bei Amazon betrachtet, die für mich persönlich vollkommen ungerechtfertigt sind. Man kann den Roman recht schnell lesen, da er einfach geschrieben ist, aber viel mehr positives gibt es nicht zu sagen. Aber erst einmal zu den negativen Punkten und davon gibt es recht viele.

Zum einen war der Roman sprachlich eine mittlere bis große Katastrophe. Ich kann mir auch nicht vorste...more
Rachel
This story picks up after the trilogy that introduced us to this world and the central figure's brother. The first time I read the other series, I quite liked it; but as time passed and I revisited it, I liked it less and less.

This book begins with instability in the country, and plots to overthrow the Emperor abound. One of them is fixed on the abduction of his beloved sister, Lea (who is beautiful, sweet, good etc etc). Her abductor is a soulless (literally) captain from the old guard military...more
Kelly
Apr 23, 2014 Kelly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: audio
It was alright for a cheap audiobook, the narrator was a bit too soft voiced for my liking, she didn't set the pace as well as hoped.
Brownbetty
I understand that this is the first book in a series, but that the series is preceded by another series which introduces many of the main characters and sets the background, so perhaps I would have felt differently had I read The Sword, The Ring, and The Chalice trilogy. But I didn´t, and perhaps as a result, I ended up skipping nearly two thirds of the chapters when they switched to the POV and stories of characters I couldn´t care less about.
Joy
Terrific! Very romantic!
Dina
Dec 30, 2011 Dina added it
Shelves: dnf
I couldn't do it. There is nothing wrong with the story. I was liking it but then I realized there wasn't going to be any smex in it, and there is suppose to be a cliffhanger. That's okay in a book I know there will be some eventually. I will wait until the whole series is out, and then I'll give it another try.
Deborah
I didn't really get into this book I think it might have been because it was taken by some many different points of view. This is a style of writing I personally don't really like as it means that I don't connect with any character. So slightly disappointed with this book.
Sandy
The mystical things aren't really my interest but I did enjoy this book. There were several words I didn't understand that were in italics (old words) and to my disappointment there were no definitions in the book.
Lisa
Characters and writing were good though the plot was a bit disjointed as will sometimes happen at the start of a new trilogy. Do look forward to next book.
RegencyEmma
I wanted more interaction between the two main characters. I found the story just...'blah' Pity. It had potential.
Foggygirl
The book was a decent read, enough so that I went and got the second book.
Leah Ketchum
I liked it, interesting characters and development
Roberta
Prequel to The Crown
Rachel
Reviewed for VOYA
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Alisha Mclemore
Alisha Mclemore marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Allison Jackson
Allison Jackson marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
TheStoryMonster
TheStoryMonster marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Chester's The Pearls 1 4 Feb 11, 2009 05:53PM
  • Once Upon a Dreadful Time (Faery Series, #5)
  • Mother Ocean, Daughter Sea
  • The Turning Tide (Crosspointe Chronicles, #3)
  • Broods of Fenrir (Broods of Fenrir, #1)
  • Soul Trade (Black London, #5)
  • Maya's Masters (Viper's Dungeon, #2)
  • Wake of the Bloody Angel (Eddie LaCrosse, #4)
  • Tangled Web (Deizian Empire, #1)
  • The Quarters Novels: Volume I (Omnibus: Sing the Four Quarters / Fifth Quarter)
  • A Lady and Her Magic (Faerie, #1)
  • All Wounds (Stranger Things, #1)
  • The Ascendancy Veil (Braided Path, #3)
  • Lost to the Gray (Shaede Assassin, #2.5)
  • Nutrition for Dummies
  • The Serpent and the Rose (War of the Rose, #1)
  • Shattered Dance (White Magic, #3)
  • Fathom
  • Moonlight, Tiger, and Smoke
The internationally published, award-winning author of over 30 novels, Deborah Chester has written Regency romances, historical romances, young adult, science fiction, and fantasy. She is a tenured professor of professional writing in the Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of Oklahoma, where she teaches novel and short story writing.
She holds a B.A. with Genera...more
More about Deborah Chester...
The Sword (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #1) The Chalice (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #3) The Ring (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #2) The Golden One (LucasFilm's Alien Chronicles, #1) The Crimson Claw (LucasFilm's Alien Chronicles, #2)