The Shadowbearer (Aegis of The Gods, #.5)

The Shadowbearer (Aegis of the Gods #1.5)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Death's always simple. We spend our entire lives dying.

Until now.

Kindle Edition, 2, 230 pages
Published April 12th 2012 by Golden Arm Press (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadowbearer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadowbearer

Wendell Adams
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

The Shadowbearer is a prequel to Terry C. Simpson’s Aegis of the Gods fantasy series, and while it has some shortcomings, it does an excellent job of introducing a reader to this world of Mater (magic) while telling a tale filled with warfare and politics, intrigue and treachery, heroic characters and vile creatures. Throw in a bit of world building and magic system description and you have a story that is well worth a try.

The novella is told through the...more
Sam
The Shadowbearer: Prequel (The Aegis of Gods)

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Knight Commander Stefan Dorn, leader of the Unvanquished, has known only war, death and, victory. All in the name of his loyalty to King Nerian the Lightbearer, a man he idolized. Until now.

Everything he thought he knew about the King, his people, and his world is coming to an end. At a time when there should be peace, he's once again called to war.

Torn between shocking changes at home, his family, loyalty to his men and his King...more
Jackie Miller
The Shadowbearer is a prequel to Terry C. Simpson's Etchings of Power (Aegis of The Gods #1). As far as prequels go, I thought this one made a strong showing. Perfect for those just beginning in this rich, well-thought out world, and fans of the first book will get some extra insight into how the world became what it was in Etchings of Power.

Stefan Dorn is the one we follow in this installment. He's a battle-hardened warrior and immensely loyal to his family and King. His army of The Unvanquishe...more
Mark
Quite simply excellent.

For those who are waiting for the follow-up to Terry C Simpson's Etchings of Power, the first in his Aegis of the Gods series, The Shadowbearer isn't it. Well, not exactly, but as a prequel it sits in the same world and it will more than satisfy anyone who hungers for more of Simpson's writing.

In Etchings of Power, the author set some high standards -- in the quality of the writing, the storytelling, and in the presentation of the ebook. Well, The Shadowbearer shows no re...more
Edward
Terry Simpson has done it again!

I'm VERY picky about the fantasy I read. I get uppity about anything that isn't George R.R. Martin, Patrick Rothfuss, Terry Pratchett, etc...

This is a different sort of book than what authors like that produce, but it appeals to me in a different way. It's fun slash-tastic sword and sorcery. Don't get me wrong, there's an original world, a cool system of magic, and some touching character scenes. But mostly, it's an action movie.

The action starts the story off wi...more
Paul Kater
This book is the prequel to the Aegis of the Gods series. The centre character of the story, King General Stefan Dorn, is put into several difficult positions where decisions are made for him, and he doesn’t like many of those. Still, being who he is he tries to work through everything, even when the King Nerian the Lightbearer (who was as a father to him once) starts making less and less sense.

Terry Simpson wrote a fast-paced book with great imagery, well balanced characters and he shows us the...more
Gerald Black
As in the first book the action is fast and furious lending to an entertaining read
Yannis Karatsioris
Although the Shadowbearer does have an excessive amount of battles, able to satisfy the most bloodthirsty of readers, its characters and plot left me indifferent. I couldn't connect to them or the story for long in order to appreciate the imagery given in the battles. Recommended to readers with a knack for...well, battles.
Alex
I am not too proud to admit I didn't quite get this one.
Bonnie Giacovelli
Bonnie Giacovelli marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Barbi Davis
Barbi Davis marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Yohjideranged
Yohjideranged marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Pam Cooper
Pam Cooper marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Brenda Impson
Brenda Impson marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Twilightwatchers
Twilightwatchers marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
  • The Wand-Maker's Debate
  • The Sable City (Norothian Cycle, #1)
  • As the Crow Flies
  • Dawning (Black Earth, #1)
  • Traphis: A Wizard's Tale
  • A Touch of Magic
  • Shadow of Stone (The Pendragon Chronicles, #2)
  • The Eye of Divinity (Knights, #1)
  • Crossover (The Chosen One Trilogy, #1)
  • Sword Bearer
  • Second Sight (Tales of the Lifesong, #2)
  • Druid's Bane (The Arkaelyon Chronicles, #1)
  • Storm Dancer
  • Protector (Anniversary of the Veil, Book 1)
  • Altdorf (The Forest Knights, #1)
  • The Hungering Saga Complete (The Hungering Saga, #1-3)
  • City of Blaze (The Fireblade Array, #1)
  • Toby Streams the Universe
Talking to the characters I imagine has become an intriguing experience especially when they disagree with me. - Terry Simpson.

Terry grew up on the tiny Caribbean island of Barbados. He always had a love of writing for as long as he can remember.

Somehow, he grew to love fantasy more than any other although his early days were spent reading his father's books from Louis L'amour's westerns to Don P...more
More about Terry C. Simpson...
Etchings of Power (Aegis of the Gods, #1) Game of Souls (The Quintessence Cycle, #1) Ashes and Blood (Aegis of the Gods Book 2) Embers of a Broken Throne (Aegis of the Gods, #3) Soulbreaker (The Quintessence Cycle, #2)