Edge of Light

Edge of Light

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Taken prisoner by a ruthless group of anarchists deep in the Cambodian jungle, anthropologist Jocelyn Hewitt is isolated in a dark prison cell. Without chance of rescue. Or hope. Until the man in the next cell reaches out to let her know she's not as alone as she thinks.

Published May 14th 2012 by Carina Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Edge of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edge of Light

D.C.
ABOUT THE BOOK: Taken prisoner by a ruthless group of anarchists deep in the Cambodian jungle, anthropologist Jocelyn Hewitt is isolated in a dark prison cell. Without chance of rescue. Or hope. Until the man in the next cell reaches out to let her know she’s not as alone as she thinks.

CIA agent Oliver Shaw has been held prisoner for over two years. Forced to witness the brutal torture and slow murder of his entire team, his spirit is not just broken, it’s crushed. He no longer believes in hope....more
Wendy
Jocelyn Hewitt, an anthropologist, joined a team in Cambodia to try and find the remains of her father and the cause of his death. Jocelyn and her team are attacked by a ruthless group of anarchists, in the Cambodian jungle, and she is taken hostage and placed in a dark prison cell.
CIA agent Oliver Shaw is in the next cell and has witnessed the torture and murders of his fellow agents and other prisoners for the past 2 years. A broken man, with no hope, he hears Jocelyn's pain and lets her know...more
Kimberly
Review written for www.books-n-kisses.com

DNF (which is very rare for me)... This is a very intense book with a lot of violence and I found it hard to read. This was not my kind of book. There were too many characters that they began to run together. If you enjoy intense books wrapped around violence and escape then this may be a book you would love to read. However I just could not do it.
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: May 14, 2012
Publisher: Harlequin
Imprint: Carina Press
Author’s Website: http://www.cynthiajustlin.com/
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: No
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Warm

With plenty of action, horror, and even a mystery of a lost treasure, I ended up staying up WAY too late reading because I didn’t want to put it down. While the “steam” wasn’t all that “steamy”, I...more
Lucy Dosch
Wow! Sometimes you pick up a book from a new author and you don’t know what to expect and you a pleasantly surprised how intriguing the story truly is.

This book was pretty dark since the beatings were to the point of brutal and the deaths sustained by Oliver’s co-workers were pretty gruesome, and even the antagonist’s stealing of children and using them to death in his sapphire mines was awful.

My pet peeve of breaking up the story with too many points of view was challenged in this story. We di...more
Heather
Jocelyn is in Cambodia, trying to find out the real story behind what happened to her father, and to hopefully bring her father's remains back with her. While in Cambodia, she and her team are unexpectedly attacked, and Jocelyn is taken hostage. She finds herself in a stark prison cell, frightened and confused, but realizes that she isn't alone, as someone resides in the cell next to her.

Oliver has been held captive for two years, regularly beaten and tortured, and he is half the man he once was...more
Scooper Speaks
3.5
Favorite Lines: "He braced himself for her touch, and when her fingers met his skin he clenched his eyes shut. He couldn't get used to it. Didn't remember what to do. Would he eventually remember how to react, or was he forever doomed to straddle the line between pleasure and agony?" (p. 135-136, e-galley)

Edge of Light is a romantic suspense and my first introduction to Cynthia Justlin's writing. The story started with a bang. The reader is introduced to one man's psychological battle with t...more
_yay_
This ARC was provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Publish date: May 14th, 2012 Fiction – Adult: Romance: Suspense
Carina Press

Nothing will come in anthropologist Jocelyn Hewitt’s way of finding her father’s last resting place – come hell or high water. Her kidnappers have other plans, though. Snatching her wasn’t a problem; now she’s being dumped in a dark cell and is afraid for her life. What do they want from her? Her only ray of hope is a fellow captive. CIA operative Oliver...more
Christi Snow
A- rating

My Review:
Look at that cover up there. This is NOT a light-hearted, floofy romance. This book is gritty and it's harsh, but I thought it was so incredibly good. Half this book is spent with the Hero and heroine in captivity. They never even see each other face to face until right before their escape, so this is not a book about romance and flowers. Their surroundings are minimal. The beatings are harsh. The torture is truly inhumane. This book doesn't spare anything, so be prepared.

Oliv...more
E_bookpushers
Review originally posted at The Bookpushers.

Publisher: Carina Press
Publish Date: Out Now
How I got this book: ARC from the publisher via Netgalley

Christa
I really liked Edge of Light. It had characters that I cared about and a very original storyline. I very quickly became caught up in the plight of Oliver Shaw and Jocelyn Hewitt. I thought that the story was interesting, and it kept my attention. I look forward to more by this author.

Trying to find the remains of her father, anthropologist Jocelyn Hewitt is imprisoned in Cambodia by a group of anarchists. She soon learns that she is not the only prisoner being held by her capturers. Oliver Shaw...more
Lori
I really wanted to enjoy this book.... The writing itself is great, but the story kind of fell flat for me. I didn't exactly feel any kind of connection to the characters... I guess I should say - I didn't really feel their connection to each other either.. and considering what they went through, I really wanted to feel a connection between them. There is also the fact that there were just too many POV changes for my taste... it's nice to be able to get a glimpse at the entire situation but some...more
J.L.
Hard hitting story. (Time to explain the story)

This is not one of the light heart 'girlie romance' books, but a realistic gritty and always deep story of one man's growth after he's hit rock bottom in his own hell. The heroine shows up void of hope as well, but tries to pull Oliver out of his near suicidal time in a nasty Cambodian rogue prison.

Not for those looking for strictly a sex-fling book. Well developed characters are difficult to find in most books, but Justlin shows growth and evolves...more
Lhenry
Lynn Spencer
If you like your romantic suspense dark and gritty, Edge of Light is worth checking out. When I'm thinking of romantic getaways, a dungeon in Cambodia doesn't exactly top my list, so the setting of this book should be the reader's first clue that we're not getting a warm, cozy romp. However, the author manages to keep readers on the edge of their seats with this thriller and, even though the romance is understandably a bit more muted, it still worked and made for an enjoyable read.

This is a part...more
Nicole Luiken
Well-written romantic thriller set in the jungles of Cambodia. A prologue that surprised and plenty of tension and jeopardy. Both main characters, Josie and Oliver, were well-developed AND SO WERE THE VILLAINS. So nice to see.
Jacquie
As hard a subject as this book covered, it was done well and in such a way that I couldn't stop reading. Can't believe how cruel people can be to one another
Elizabeth (Liz)
Dec 21, 2012 Elizabeth (Liz) marked it as in-progress-set-aside
DNF, too gross and intense.
Kaylene Baglee
Kaylene Baglee marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Jana
Jana marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Isobel
Isobel marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Hazel
Hazel marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Savannah
Savannah marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
ci
ci marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
  • The Fallen Queen (The House of Arkhangel'sk, #1)
  • Motor City Mage (Urban Arcana  #4)
  • His Secret Temptation
  • Dark Future
  • Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3)
  • Deadly Pursuit (Blood Hunter, #2)
  • The Shattered Sylph (Sylph, #2)
  • Shades of Temptation (SIG, #2)
  • The Beauty (Bride Quest #5)
  • A Feast of Souls (Araneae Nation, #2)
  • Freefall (Aftershock, #2)
  • Devil In My Arms (The Saint's Devils, #3)
  • The First Victim
  • Altered Destiny
  • Beyond the Darkening
  • Wake to Darkness (Brown and de Luca, #2)
  • Sleep No More
  • Caroselli's Christmas Baby (The Caroselli Inheritance #1)
Cynthia is a former Romance Writers of America Golden Heart® Finalist in Romantic Suspense. She started out writing contemporary romance, but when all her plots began to turn dastardly, she decided to stop fighting the urge to throw explosions, dead bodies, and evil villains into her books.

With her B.S. in the chemical sciences and her love of the periodic table (yes, she’s a geek and proud of it!...more
More about Cynthia Justlin...
Her Own Best Enemy Intrusion Separation Anxiety The Remnants Boxed Set (Books 1-2)