Start by marking “Honey the Hero” as Want to Read:
Honey the Hero

Honey the Hero (Bird Brain )

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  113 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Honey, an inquisitive young parakeet living in the Australian Outback, decides to become a superhero after she spies a human family watching Superman. Since she already has the power of flight, all she needs to do is create a costume to conceal her true identity and then fly off in search of animals that need rescuing.

Unfortunately, every time she tries to help, Honey only
Published April 24th 2012 by Evolved Publishing (first published April 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Honey the Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honey the Hero

Michelle Cornwell-Jordan
Apr 21, 2012 Michelle Cornwell-Jordan rated it it was amazing
Honey the Hero was a fun read and I found myself caught up in the adventures of this small hero with the BIG heart:)

The story follows the small bird, who one day arrives upon the home of a human family, Hero watches through the window as the family seemingly enjoys and loves the heroic character on a television program they were watching. Hero, decides that she could also be a hero and thus well loved!

So with ample amounts of confidence, she fashions herself a super hero's outfit:) Namely a shap
Jane
Apr 20, 2012 Jane rated it it was amazing
A charming story about a young parakeet who wants to be a superhero and help other animals in the Australian outback where she lives. She makes herself a mask out of grass and a cape from a leaf before setting off in search of animals in need of help. Unfortunately things don’t quite go according to plan and in the beginning everything she does seems to make things worse.

Written in simple easy to read words with beautiful illustrations Honey the Hero is an ideal book to share with young readers
Rita
Apr 22, 2012 Rita rated it it was amazing
I received this book as an advanced copy from the author and so glad I did. What a cute story to share with kids. Charming and warm a nice lesson for kids to learn that no matter how small, how often you feel you mess things up, and that you are not helpful everyone has there time. Everyone has their moment when the shine and are superheros and are needed to preform tasks that not all people can do.
Barbara Ann
Oct 20, 2015 Barbara Ann rated it it was amazing
Part of the bird brain book series, this adventure teaches readers there is more than one way to be a hero. Honey, the parakeet, is curious. She constantly explores her Australian environment. One day she watches a TV show about a superhero through a window and decides she would like to be like that. Honey finds a large leaf, makes herself a cape, and sets out to find someone to rescue. On her travels over the Outback, Honey finds a kangaroo stuck in the mud, an anteater who can't find ants, and ...more
Nai
Apr 22, 2012 Nai rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all kids everywheres, and nostalgic adults
Recommended to Nai by: Novel Publicly, Emlyn Chand
his post was inspired by "How to write like 'The Stig' drives" on M J Wright's blog. I read his blog specifically because I'm never sure what he's going to write about next. He's always got a different point of view, and can write from many different angles. His writing allows one to view different scenarios and possibilities rather than predictable ones. How to write like 'The Stig' drives centered around influential writers, and why they're writing 'Stig's'

If all you do is read his bio at the
Jill Cooper
Apr 20, 2012 Jill Cooper rated it it was amazing
From the very first words Honey the Parakeet comes across as sweet, and charming. She’s a very curious bird and likes to watch everything she comes across as she flies around the Australian Outback. She is especially interested in people and this is when she first sees a superhero.

Honey thinks it would be great to help out people in trouble. And she can already fly…hmmm….So she gets to work fashioning her super hero disguise with the help of some grass and a leaf.

Things however soon get more com
Vikas Singh
honey the hero.... is a nice read for children of single digit age groups.. d most imp. thing about this illustrated kids' story is that it presents them wid simple yet moral understanding about this world.. I liked it.. bt one thing I found missing was the 'lesson' -- don't put urslf in others' troubles without their request/permission/suggestion// rather help those who seem to be really in trouble (only after making a proper questionnaire) and those who ask for ur help, whether bigger or small ...more
Marilyn
Sep 08, 2015 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
This charming tale is about a curious little bird named Honey who lives in Australia. She loves to people watch as they scurry to and fro leading very exciting lives (or so she thinks). One day Honey lands on a window sill, peers through the window and sees a family cuddling together on a couch watching a super hero fight crime and help people in trouble. Right then and there she decides that's exactly what she wants to do because everyone loves a hero. She creates a costume for herself and says ...more
Jean Smith
Nov 28, 2015 Jean Smith rated it it was amazing
A hero with her heart in the right place

Honey kept trying to be a hero but every time she did she messed up things for the animals she tried to help. This made her very upset and she wanted to quit, but her mama told her, her heart was in the right place and one day she would find someone to help. Later she found a lost baby dingo and he was very scared and sad. Honey helped him find his mom, brothers, and sisters. I learned that you should always try to help others but only if they want your he
Apr 20, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
Sometimes, especially when we're very young, our intentions are excellent but our attempts to help aren't so helpful. But we can learn to get better about telling what's a help and what's a hindrance.

That's what Honey the Hero learns in this lovely book. The illustrations are as charming as the story. Young readers will enjoy this book, and older readers will enjoy reading it to them!

Niki Driscoll
Dec 05, 2015 Niki Driscoll rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
Honey is a sweet young bird with a big heart. After seeing a TV program of a superhero who helped people she decided that was what she wanted to do also. Having good intentions she sets off to find someone to help but it doesn't end as she imagined. Feeling sad she decides she is not a hero after all. This was a quick cute story filled with great pictures and easy to read storyline. Young children will be amused by Honeys attempts to be a hero and will easily relate to her quest. As with all bir ...more
Jasmine
Aug 24, 2015 Jasmine rated it it was amazing
Another super cute Bird Brain story. My 6 1/2 month old son loves when I read him these books.

Honey the Hero is about an Australian parakeet who decides to become a superhero and help her fellow animal friends. Unfortunately for Honey, her assistance doesn't exactly go as planned. Dejected, she decides to give up...until she discovers a baby dingo in need of help. Will Honey become the superhero she's always dreamed of being?

The story is short, cute, and definitely a must-read for kids, and bir
Hannah
Dec 19, 2015 Hannah added it
Honey the Hero was my favorite Bird Brain book so far. This was absolutely adorable!
Honey just wants to be a super hero and help others out, but her efforts at first just make things worse. She becomes very sad and goes to her mom and tells her she's too small and what all happened. Momma bird tells her that she is not too small and someone will need help that only she can give.

I love this book and it's great for kids who often think they are too small to be of any help. This shows that everyo
Carol
Jan 25, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing
Honey the Hero takes you on an adventurous time with a
small parakeet. Honey see a super character on screen
While watching a family gathered around the television.
Honey decides to become a superhero. Using her
imagination Honey makes a superhero outfit then is off
to be a hero. Will a small bird be able to be a hero?
This book while aimed for younger reader about
pre-school thru first and second grades presents a message
that will be beneficial to everyone.
The engaging , fun illustrations and cap
Barbara
Aug 22, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful children’s story teaching them that you don’t have to be a so called hero to be able to help others. When Honey the bird put on a hero’s outfit she thought should could fly around and be the hero and help everyone. But not everyone needed her help and she made mistakes instead of helping them. After taking off the hero outfit and being herself, you may be in the right place at the right time to help someone. It’s a great message to children that the outfit doesn’t make the pe ...more
Niyati Em
Mar 02, 2016 Niyati Em rated it it was amazing
Hahahaha!! What a cute story!

Oh those innocent childhood days. Wow, this was a great book. I love reading such books which make me take a trip down memory lane.

I used to read a lot and I definitely read quite a lot of books when I was small. And this reminded me of myself.

This was one of the cutest books I have read. I didn’t think I would get to read a children’s book. I read the ones at home fairly often and then enjoy the trip back to my childhood and this one was just like that.

I got the opp
Maria
Jan 02, 2013 Maria rated it really liked it
I received a complimentary copy of this book as a part of a book tour in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Honey the Hero by Emlyn Chand is an sweet, enchanting tale which encourages children to help each other. Set in Australia, with well drawn illustrations of animals native to the region, Ms. Chand's tale is an inspiration to be the best we can be and look beyond ourselves. While written for the 4-6 year old age group, I found the story cute and entertaining.

Inspired by something she sees
Pam
Jul 16, 2012 Pam rated it really liked it
As you know, I love kids' books. I also love books about animals. A perfect combination is a book for kids about animals! Know what's even more perfect? Animals who talk and have feelings. I love it. Can't get enough of it.

So I was thrilled when my bestie Emlyn Chand of Novel Publicity begged asked me to review her kids' book Honey the Hero. Honey is a little birdie who wants to be a superhero. What's not to love about that?Here's what the buzz is saying:

Let me tell you about Honey. She’s a cur
Lynn Worton
Aug 13, 2013 Lynn Worton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honey is an inquisitive young parakeet living in the Australian Outback. She decides to become a hero after spying a human family watching Superman. As she already has the power of flight, she just needs to create a costume to conceal her identity and find animals that need help.
Unfortunately, every time she tries to help, she only manages to make matters worse. But what happens when someone really needs her help. Will Honey rise to the challenge?

Honey is a charming character that is sweetly inn
If you remember I had the chance to review Emlyn’s other book, Poppy the Proud in December and while I had concerns at first about it not being Christian those concerns were quickly laid to rest – which is exactly what has happened with Honey the Hero. Honey is a cute little parakeet who lives in the adventurous Outback and runs into animals that seem to need her help but her wanting to be a hero soon becomes a thing of the past when she messes up several ‘rescues’ – so what is a bird to do that ...more
Farmers Wife
Apr 23, 2012 Farmers Wife rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I received an ARC of this cute little children's book about a little parakeet with a zest for fun and excitement. Having previously read a YA book by this author, Farsighted, I was excited and curious to see how her children's book would come about. Honey is a curious little parakeet that goes out each day looking for adventure. One day Honey decides she wants to be a super hero. Unfortunately, it seems she tends to cause trouble rather than preventing it.

But, in the end Honey finds a way that e
Sharon
Jul 03, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing
The book up for review is “Honey the Hero” by Emlyn Chand.

This book is geared for the age group of 5-7.

Honey the main character is a little young birdie from Australia. She is also curious as she flies all over her home talking and meeting new friends. One day as she is observing some humans she saw on their tv a hero who had a cape.

Seeing the hero fly through the air fighting crime she gets in her head why not her? Flying came naturally to her, she could be a hero also.

Going back home she cre
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
In the Outback of Australia Honey the parakeet was restless and wanted out of the nest so she could fly and explore. She was especially interested in people. As she looked in the window of someones home the people were watching a super hero on television. How exciting Honey thought. She wanted to be a super hero. She could already fly do all she needed was the costume. Out of a large leaf she made a cape and with a blade of grass she fashioned a mask.

Now all she needed to do was find someone to
Jaideep Khanduja
Mar 14, 2013 Jaideep Khanduja rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013

Book Review: Honey The Hero By Emlyn Chand: A Must Read Book For The Kid Within Every Person

39 reviews on amazon.com with an average rating of 4.7 say it all. To prove that what is on Amazon is not by chance, the same can be seen on GoodReads where this book has been rated by 54 readers and the average rating is 4.5. Honey The Hero A Bird Brain Book by Emlyn Chand is a fantastic children book and for all adults who have a child within them. As a child, I r
Lissette
Jul 06, 2012 Lissette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Living in the Australian Outback, Honey has a thirst for life and knowledge that circumvents everything she's ever known. She loves her family, her friends, and dreams of doing more for them whenever possible. When she comes across a family watching a Superman movie one day, she decides that's what she wants to do with her life. She wants to be a superhero in order to help those in need.

Taking a shine to the idea, she soon sets off to create her costume. Everything she needs in order to mask her
Angela
Sep 12, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing
Kindle Version (free via author for honest review)

I read this book and I also read it with my son. I thought it was an extremely cute story with a very lovable main character. All Honey wants to do is help people like the super hero she saw on the human TV, but she just can't seem to get it quite right. She tries too hard and ends up making some mistakes. I thought it was a cute story with a nice lesson mixed in too. Now, my son is ten years old, so a bit old for children's books per say, but I
Alicia Marietta
Dec 31, 2012 Alicia Marietta rated it really liked it
This is actually my second review of a book written by Emlyn Chand, and another book in her Bird Brain Series.

My 7 year old and I read Honey the Hero! together and she loved it. She has actually asked me to read it to her each night!!

Honey reminds me of toddler, always wanting to help but sometimes being to much help. Sometimes we don't realize it but our "help" is actually the opposite. It doesn't mean that our intentions are not from the heart, or that there isn't a "job" out there for us. We
Melanie
Jan 06, 2016 Melanie rated it it was amazing
I thought that this was a really cute book with a good moral to the story. My daughter always wants to help but sometimes it is not help at all. I think seeing this in a book helped her realize what I try to tell her. The pictures in this book are so cute as well. I love that Emlyn Chand used a bird for the main characters as well. Something new and different for the kids!! Very cute read!
Evelyn Nathalia
Oct 25, 2015 Evelyn Nathalia rated it really liked it
This is a really cute and educational story. This is like an everyday story which is wrap into a story book. Sometimes, we try to help people when they don't need help. This book is perfect for children who are learning to understand their environment. I like the way Honey try to judge the situation even though she made some mistakes, but afterall she got to learn from the experience.
Frederick Brooke
Jul 07, 2012 Frederick Brooke rated it it was amazing
I just read Honey the Hero, and this is another winner from author Emlyn Chand and illustrator Sarah Shaw. It's the story of a parkeet in Australia who desperately wants to be a superhero and fight crime while helping people. So she dons a big leaf for a cape and ties a piece of grass with two holes poked in it over her eyes for a mask, and sets off to help all her animal friends in the outback.

Only problem is, as it happens so often in a child's life, the best intentions go awry and her friends
  • Circles
  • Thomas and the Tiger-Turtle
  • Millicent Marie Is Not My Name
  • Hannah's Voice
  • Valentina and the Haunted Mansion (Valentina's Spooky Adventures, #1)
  • Lexie World (The Three Lost Kids, #1)
  • LETTUCE!
  • Hot Sinatra
  • Jellybeans Morning, Noon & Night
  • Man vs Cat (The Feline Central Books, #1)
  • The SockKids Meet Lincoln
  • Derrick the Dog (A Derrick and Max Story, #1)
  • Escucha Means Listen
  • Henry! You're Hungry Again?
  • A Path of Petals
  • Chocolate-Covered Baloney (Confessions of April Grace #3)
  • Atticus for the Undead
  • Desert Flower

Melissa Storm is a mother first, and everything else second. She used to write under the pseudonym Emlyn Chand, but finally had the confidence to come out as herself to the world. Her fiction is highly personal and often based on true stories. Writing is Melissa'sway of showing her daughter just how beautiful life can be, when you pay attention to the everyday wonders that surround us.

Melissa love

More about Emlyn Chand...

Bird Brain (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Davey the Detective
  • Poppy the Proud
  • Tommy Goes Trick-or-Treating (Bird Brain Books)
  • Courtney Saves Christmas
  • Vicky Finds a Valentine
  • Izzy the Inventor (A Bird Brain Book)
  • Ricky the Runt (A Bird Brain Book)
  • Larry the Lonely (a Bird Brain Book)
  • Sammy Steals the Show (a Bird Brain Book)
  • Polly wants to be a Pirate (A Bird Brain Book)

“You are not too small. No one is ever too small to offer help.” 9 likes
“Wait," Honey said to herself, as she realized something amazing. "I’m already an excellent flyer. Maybe I can fight crime too.” 5 likes