Simeon's Gift [With CD (Audio)]

Simeon's Gift [With CD (Audio)]

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  13 reviews
CD included with a reading by Julie Andrews Edwards In a faraway time and place, a humble musician named Simeon sets out on a quest. Thirsting for knowledge and eager to improve his craft, he risks losing all that is important to him, including the love of his beautiful Sorrel.

The journey brings many discoveries, and though he tries hard to absorb the vast new tapestry of...more
Published September 30th 2003 by HarperCollins (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Simeon's Gift [With CD (Audio)], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simeon's Gift [With CD (Audio)]

Kathryn
A nice story, but somehow it didn't really grab me. It seemed a bit long and several of the words will be beyond young readers (cacophony, for example). Not that there is anything wrong with introducing new vocab, but it does impede the telling if there is too much. The illustrations, while lovely representations of Renaissance art, were a bit repetative at times (i.e., using the same borders for several pages) and not especially "warm." The CD is a nice touch, though I wasn't really WOWED--the...more
Rachel
Honestly I gave this book five stars because of the amazing Renaissance-like illustrations, that were so detailed and absolutely gorgeous. Definitely going to have to find more books illustrated by Gennady Spirin. The book comes with an audio CD of actress/singer Julie Andrews Edwards performing the book, which was created by her daughter Emma and herself.

The story is about a young lute-playing minstrel named Simeon who is in love with a noble lady named Sorrel. He thinks his meager income won'...more
Dolly
Jul 12, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I really wanted to like this book a lot. The illustrations are beautiful and the narrative is written by Julie Andrews Edwards and her daughter. So we sat down to listen to the CD narrated by Dame Julie and followed along with the book. The narrative was dramatically read and the story was inspirational, encouraging the reader to find the art and music within ourselves and be true to our own nature. The illustrations are reminiscent of classic Rennaissance artwork. So why didn't we adore it? It...more
Anajoy-rusticgirl
The wording in the story is beautiful and the illustrations are magnificent (I always love Gennady Spirin's illustrations.) I also really love the audio version.
Sara
Lovely idea, gorgeous illustration and interesting story. The Julie Andrews narration is, of course, beautiful. The story is not quite as compelling as I had hoped but the moral is nice. The book is worth every cent just for the high art in the illustration.
Esther
Apr 07, 2008 Esther rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Amy Kyle
I reaqlly liked to read this book. It's about the magic of love and how it ca influence us in our search for happiness/to bring happiness to the people we truely love. It is also a great book if you're music-lover because it teaches children that music is the expression of life and love. I really liked it and wood definitely recommend it to all grown-ups/children who love music. And the illustrations are awesome too!! Very artistic.
Lisa
Jul 24, 2008 Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Julie Andrews
Shelves: childrens-lit
I saw the Hollywood Bowl orchestra perform a symphonic version--live music, singers, and a few spare props. It was beautiful. The book encourages in a very direct and didactic way. The message is clear and inspirational--follow your dreams. Find your gift. Share it. And I'm sharing the book with you...

But I didn't know Julie Andrews was an author and had a collection of books. What a lovely find.
Holly Tracy
The premise and story are sweet and gentle...and it's a great story. But I don't know that it's one to grab a child's attention. I saw it performed by Julie Andrews and a small cast of four at a concert she did last year. The story just seems a bit long for kids with some vocabulary that may be over the top. But overall, a wonderful book!
polly
The illustrations in this book are gorgeous and inspiring. The prose is laborious; I appreciate the use of larger words for a young audience and approve of rich language, but the book as a whole could have benefited greatly from some sharp editing.
Shawn Bird
Lovely illustrations and listening to Julie Andrews read the accompanying CD is sweet. The story is a little awkward, and my students were irritated by some inconsistencies in plot development, which I found quite interesting!
Mary Dunkap
Simeon's Gift is first totally charming. I lived the way it encourages people to use a gift they have been given but not know how to use it, go out and learn how their gift is speacial and then use it to it's full potential.
Heidi
The story is cute, but it's really too long for a picture book. There's so much text on each page, that I can't imagine a young child would actually sit still for the story.
Claudia
It was a cute story...but if I remember right, we didn't care much for the ending.
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Boys
Boys marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Miranda Freeman
Miranda Freeman marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Janelle Phinney
Janelle Phinney marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Suzy
Suzy marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Savannah
Savannah marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dame Julie Elizabeth Andrews Edwards, DBE is an award-winning English actress, singer, author and cultural icon. She is the recipient of Golden Globe, Emmy, Grammy, BAFTA, People's Choice Award, Theatre World Award, Screen Actors Guild and Academy Award honours. Andrews rose to prominence after starring in Broadway musicals such as My Fair Lady and Camelot, as well as musical films like Mary Poppi...more
More about Julie Andrews Edwards...
Mandy Home: A Memoir of My Early Years The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles The Very Fairy Princess Dragon: Hound of Honor