The Apocalypse Troll

The Apocalypse Troll

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  2,239 ratings  ·  55 reviews
There he was in his sailboat in the middle of the Atlantic, all alone and loving it. Well, there was a US Navy carrier group on his southern horizon, but he was a Navy guy himself, so he didn't mind. Then came the UFOs, hurtling in from the Outer Black to overfly the carriers at Mach 17. Their impossible aerobatics were bad enough—but then they started shooting at each oth...more
Published January 1st 2000 by Baen Books (first published December 1st 1998)

Ron
It can be done. Weber, breaking thead infinitum tendencies exhibited in his Honor Harrington, bolo and 1634 series has written a fully-developed, well nuanced SF techno-thriller in one volume. He even took more time than most authors to deal with the theoretic and practical problems of backwards time travel. (Try to skip the GoodReads blurb, not because it's incorrect, but because it tells you too much.)

While his prognostication of history in the following dozen years from the book's 2011 publis...more
Mike
4.5 stars. A highly entertaining story that I thoroughly enjoyed. A good mix of scifi, military action, adventure with a little romance thrown in.
Jeff
Available at Baen Free Library.
Katy
Apr 18, 2013 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katy by: Dmitry Sozaev
Please note: I wrote this review after reading the book in March of 2006. Just copying it over!

While waiting my turn at the Honor Harrington series, I picked up this book in order to get a taste of David Weber. I was very happy with what I read. This book is a great deal of fun - lots of action, a great work of military science fiction (read: SCIENCE FICTION to those who are going "oh, but this doesn't make sense" - yeah - it's SCIENCE FICTION!! Who knows what might make sense in an alternate re...more
Guy
There are certain books that have a special resonance for me: some because of when I read them, and some because of who I am or would like to be. This is one of the latter.

The story is pretty straightforward (for science fiction), involving implacably hostile aliens, space battles, time travel, and heroic individuals fighting against long odds.

What makes it an excellent book is the quality of David Weber's writing: the characters are complex enough to be believable, their dialog is crisp and w...more
Jim
Amazon.com Review

David Weber, author of the enormously popular Honor Harrington military SF series, takes to deep space and the high seas in the opening chapters of Apocalypse Troll. The fateful space battle and resulting spaceship crash that bring together Colonel Ludmilla Leonova and Captain Richard Aston, U.S. Navy, set the stage for another rip-roaring, guns-blazing science fiction adventure. When Captain Aston finds out Colonel Leonova's secret, he eagerly offers his help, then finds hims

Dan M.
Weber does here what Weber does.
This story is compleatly seperate from his other universes.
It is also fansastic in every way.
When you read this, pretend it is the first Weber you have ever read and have no preconseptions about the story or the technology base.

Fantastic story, as always fantastic story, a must read for any SciFi fan.

Amy
The reasons I am a general fan of David Weber are the same reasons I gave this book 5 stars. I love that Weber is capable of making me care about a character in the two pages it takes to introduce him/her before killing him/her off. Of course this means that I absolutely love the protagonist and main supporting cast by the end of the book. I recognize that many of Weber's characters are larger than life, but I personally find utterly ordinary kind of boring. Also, I think history has taught us t...more
Kyle
This book is about how a fighter pilot from the future helps the humans of the past overcome a severe and powerful threat to the human race called Troll.A powerful story that promotes the equallity of sexes,the effects of racism,and that age does not matter when it comes to love.
I admire the way the author wrote this book.He has multiple character thoughts, opinions ,andobjectives that fluently progresses the story.Each paragraph spacing represents a change in the character being narrated.Asto...more
Dale
A solid sci-fi story saddled with a fantasy genre name

Just seeing the title of this book you would assume that David Weber's first solo novel is all about ogres, witches and elves. The cover shows differently, of course. The Apocalypse Troll is an action-packed bit of sci-fi that includes time travel, a threat to planet earth and a lovely lady.

Rather than ruining the plot by giving you all of the plot details, let me tell you what I think.

It works.

Mind you, this is not "great" literature - bu...more
Steven Vaughan-Nichols
This is an amusing science-fiction adventure that starts as space opera but switches gears as the 21st century world, and one survivor from the future, must cope with a single, but deadly, alien invader. I especially liked the set-battled pieces between the alien's starship and a US carrier group and the final battle in Appalachia. I especially enjoyed the latter since it's set around my home town of Asheville, NC.

Great book? No. Fun, military SF adventure? Yes.
Andreas
In the future, mankind is winning the war against the Kangas. But the enemy attempts to send troops back in time to Earth 2007. Only one Kanga unit, a deadly Troll, remains alive in 2007 after mankind tries to stop the plan. But a human from the future also survives… And so it begins.

The idea of only one “future human” surviving is entertaining, and Weber on a bad day is still better than many authors on a good one. However, I did feel that Mr. Weber was treading water here. The plot is predicta...more
Freyjaw
Had trouble putting it down! This was tense military science fiction with a bit of time travel added. It works.
Tony Calder
David Weber is at his best when he is writing space combat, and those are the parts of this book that really shine. He is somewhat less proficient when he translates the setting to include modern military forces, but those parts are still quite good. What drags this book from 4 stars down to 3, though, are the areas where no action is taking place. Weber, to me anyway, really doesn't have a great grasp when it comes to writing the non-military parts of this book.

But, overall, an enjoyable book....more
Rob
Don't you believe it. Contrary to the description provided, the only "high seas" in this novel is a brief chapter or two near the beginning.

This novel works well as mind-candy. After this third re-read, I again have to wonder why Weber didn't do a sequel or two just to see what finally became of the Kanga's after the alternate time-line had been established. And again, I had to grin at the whole 'Milla and the Kanga's scene.
Scott Stillman
While waiting for the next Honor Harrington release I needed some David Weber so...

I'm glad I picked The Apocalypse Troll up. Single handing a sailboat across the Atlantic Richard Ashton has a hot unconscious space woman crash beside it boat, the only survivor of a task force chasing a xenophobic alien races last ditch effort bent on the destruction of the earth.

Jeremiah Johnson
The story in this book was fun. The writing, however left me angry. Half of the book is rehashing the same thing, and the final confrontation with the Troll seems rushed and not well thought out. I'm also not a military person, nor do I care about military jargon, so the repeated uses of military acronyms was a bit overwhelming and completely unnecessary.
Matt Ball
I am not sure if I was just not paying attention while I read this book, but it mostly did not make sense. There were Kangaroo monsters, invisible badguys, and the worst, most obvious twist at the end delivered in the worst possible way. It is on the line of Raul Julia's delivery of "Mom, my nuts" in Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.
Anya
I enjoyed the concepts David Weber introduced in the symbiotic humans and the trolls. However, the book, particularly the last third, was a bit too "action-movie" for my taste. I also would have liked to have known more about the state of the world after the climax and how mankind would go forward in their new history.
Ea_colon
Meh, the Weber train rolls again. I feel like I can cut and paste parts of all my other David Weber reviews. In short, All good guy plans are perfect and work all the time on the first try with 90% of the text taken up by extraneous self-gratifying exposition.
Daniel
IT's pretty standard stuff for David Weber. The characters are likable, if a bit shallow, the story is fun, if a bit silly, and overall it was a fun read.

How did the editor ever let the book go out the door with this title? The terrible title was almost enough to keep me from picking it up in the first place.
Michael
I am a huge David Weber fan but somehow I had never read this book before even though it's been out for several years. Big Mistake! This book is absolutely great! I encourage all David Weber fans to read this book. Also anyone who likes military science fiction should read it! A grand adventure!
Lech Migdal
Mostly predictable, sometimes even boring, few levels below Honor Harrington series, but a bit better than the Dahak Trilogy. At the end I had a feeling that Weber wanted to write something that could be easily used as the scenario for fast-paced, action packed shallow Hollywood movie.
Eric Troy
This was the first Weber I've read. I gave it three stars because it was entertaining but I waffled between two and three. This is one of those books where the characters exist to drive the circumstances rather than the other way around and for that reason it falls short for me.
Roy
Surprisingly satisfying. Not the deepest read, but fun, and well rounded. I was surprised to find a pulpy sci-fi novel incorporate politics, nationalism, and even race relations in a non-ridiculous way. Very readable too -- I lost some sleep to it.
Jim
It was pretty good, although a bit predictable. Anyone who likes the Honor series will like this, too. The same ideas of upstanding military characters, evil villains & lots of heroism. A fun read, but not as memorable as the Honor series, IMO.
Diane
This was a terrific story! It's an ingenious use of time-travel, not to mention a very clever form of time travel. The plot is compelling, and the characters evolve wonderfully. I don't want to spoil the story, so go read it!
Barry
Oct 06, 2007 Barry rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Probably not
This has a well written story, with good character development and action that holds the reader's attention most of the time. I thought the ending was weak and don't want to spoil it for those who want to read it by elaborating.
Flint
David Weber does it again with another action packed novel, with aliens, spaceships and a strong female character. However if you're new reader to his books, I would recommend starting with, "On Basilisk Station."
Nihonjoe
This was a good book, and unfortunately only a one-shot. I wouldn't mind seeing more in this particular universe if Weber can find the time to squeeze it in and if he can come up with good stories for it.
  • The Road to Damascus
  • The Hub: Dangerous Territory (The Hub)
  • Pandora's Legions
  • The Tyrant (Raj Whitehall, #8)
  • The Far Side of the Stars (Lt. Leary, #3)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name...more
More about David Weber...
On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1) The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2) The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3) Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4) Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)

“Parallel worlds, right?" Aston nodded. "Our sci-fi writers love 'em." "They still do back home," Ludmilla assured him.” 0 likes