Dance of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #2)

Dance of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death #2)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  1,653 ratings  ·  319 reviews
Bethany Griffin continues the journey of Araby Worth in Dance of the Red Death—the sequel to her teen novel Masque of the Red Death.

In Dance of the Red Death, Araby’s world is in shambles—betrayal, death, disease, and evil forces surround her. She has no one to trust. But she finds herself and discovers that she will fight for the people she loves, and for her city.

Her rev...more
Published June 11th 2013 by Greenwillow Books (first published April 4th 2013)

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
87th out of 1,466 books — 10,131 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
156th out of 2,478 books — 12,483 voters

More lists with this book...

Annabelle Marie Veronica
Biggest disappointment I've had in a long time, so much so that I scanned more than read the last 20%. Absolutely worse than book one and the destroyer of my hopes. Review to come.

---

Ohmygod, I'm going all fangirl, but I just love that title! It has the word "dance" in it, after all, and it sounds so hopelessly intriguing!

I am Team Elliott all the way, and can't wait to see more of him and his gorgeousness in this book :)
Nicole
Apr 21, 2013 Nicole marked it as to-read
Really, another year? I have like fifty books I'm waiting for. This is one of the ones I want the most. Come on... AHHHH. I NEED IT.

Wait, does that say CONCLUSION? This is the last book??? WHAT???
UPDATE: ERMAGERD LOOK AT THAT COVER. GORGEOUS. JUST GORGEOUS.

Oh, and I seriously can't pick which guy she should choose. I mean I was totally team Will, but then he had to go and betray her. Even though it was for a good reason. As morbid as this seems, I kind of want one of them to die so she will have...more
Stacia (out of inspiration)

"Isn't it wonderful, being in love?"
"No." It feels like the rope is back around my throat, cutting off my air supply.

I have at least one thing in common with Araby - her love story was choking me also.

What the heck happened with book 2? It was as if everything I found exciting and infectious (pun intended) about Masque of the Red Death was distorted and lacking this time around.

The love triangle didn't bother me before. In fact, I rather enjoyed it - because the story itself was not suffocate...more
Elsa Ehlers
WARNING: MAY CONTAIN ONE TINSY WINSY LITTLE SPOILER

DEARGAWD this book cover sure got on my nerves. Dont get me wrong, i absolutely LOVED the first book. I'm a total Team Elliot, even though he was a little creepy in the beginning. (-_- dont judge.)
Still, he wouldnt sacrafice the girl he loves to a mad man who wanted to kill her *cough cough* WILL *cough*

ok, back to my first point..sorry Elliot *stage whispers* I'll see you in my dreams.

THE COVER PROS AND CONS:

PRO
-you can't see the girls face...more
Lynn ಠ_ಠ
Such a disappointment. When I first read Masque of the Red Death last year I really liked it. It was incredibly atmospheric and the plague-ridden world was depressing and I was very much immersed in the story. It was everything this book was not, except for depressing. I don't know what happened but after 100 pages, barely anything was happening and the I felt that the characters were just going around in circles. Araby was so wishy-washy throughout the book and along with the rest of the cast,...more
Blythe
Actual rating is 3.5 stars -- This review is SPOILER-FREE for Masque of the Red Death.

In retrospect, reading Dance of the Red Death while I was sick may not have been my smartest idea. The wonderfully grotesque and dark atmosphere of the plague-ridden world in Masque of the Red Death was enough to send me a fit of countless chills, and I read Masque in a healthy state that was rather polarizing to the state in which I read Dance of the Red Death. Needless to say, I imagine, the atmosphere develo...more
KT
HEY YOU, BOOK!
description

Definitely my most anticipated book of 2013. I love the fact that this book will begin right where it left off in the first book. I'm usually not a fan of follow up books that fast forwards a couple years, so this is a huge plus.

High expectations for this book. I need this book NOW, April 2013 is too far away :(

Re-reading Masque of the Red Death again and again is no longer doing it for me.

I neeeeed an ARC.
Anushka
I waited for a long time ( almost a whole month ) to read this book
And it turned out to be a HUGE disappointment.

Araby's world is almost destroyed, Her Father is a murderer, her mother is a captive of Prince Prospero and her best-friend April has the contagion which she might not survive

Now this an interesting synopsis and after all Masque Of The Red Death was so awesome, why shouldn't this book be too?

The Red Death is now ravaging the city, With Malcontent's men spreading the contagion th...more
AH
Initial thoughts: 4 stars. What a dreary world - Red Plague, evil villains, airships, and hungry crocodiles. A bit of an annoying love triangle but enjoyable nonetheless.

The Review: The world of Dance of the Red Death is a dark and depressing place. The city has been devastated by the Red Death. The dead are piled up everywhere, blocking the streets and neighborhoods. Those lucky enough to escape the city seek shelter at Prince Prospero’s palace. However, this refuge is subject to the whims of t...more
Koral Polidore
**CONTAINS SPOILERS** (Sorry for venting this book really disappointed me)

I absolutely loved the 1st book and was extremely excited when I heard a 2nd book was coming out but sad to say I was highly disappointed! Before I started the book I read a few reviews and saw that people were disappointed but I still had hope this book wouldn't be dreadful. At the beginning I didn't think it was that bad. A little slow maybe but not bad. As soon as I thought the book might pick up *BAM* it starts going...more
Meagan
4.5 Stars, please don't tell me that's the end because that's a really awful and suspended way to end a book. The last fiftyish pages or so were so rushed that it literally jumped from one action part to the next without really time. Suddenly castle, oh no manor house, what it's a few weeks later? It was easy enough to follow, but still a little jumbled.

The only bad thing that I could think of, is if you're overly familiar with Edgar Allen Poe you knew how this one would end. Especially with Pr...more
Summer
Apr 28, 2012 Summer marked it as to-read
The world better not end, because I need this book.
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Well, now. Dance of the Red Deathpicked up right where Masqueleft off...with little to no review of the previous book's events. I suggest a re-read of Masqueif you've got the time. (I'd do it for the swoons alone...they are far and few in this follow-up novel.) Fighting abounds, escapes and near-misses are aplenty, and even an I love youor two is uttered. And yet, this finale in the Red Death series just wasn't quite what I was hoping for.

Our Heroine : That damned silver syringe makes an appeara...more
the golden witch.
When I heard that there was going to be a sequel to "Masque of the Red Death", I was incredibly excited. Almost indecently so. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. And when I did, most of what I'd been hoping for in terms of a resolution to the duology as a whole was more or less lived up to - though there were a few sticking points that kind of prevented this book from becoming from the five star wonder that I was hoping it would be. Regardless, I think everyone who read "Masque of the Red De...more
Kate Bond
Yikes. 2.5 stars? I guess?

I'm not sure how this happened. I loved Masque of the Red Death. The world building! The characters! The sexual tension! But... I would skip this book, guys. Even if you loved the first one. Especially if you loved the first one.

How to explain without all the spoilers?

First of all, let me just get some dumb personal pet peeves out of the way. These are things that may not bother anyone else and I know I'm a weirdo. OK.

Pet Peeve #1: Spiders are not insects. I was still...more
Emma
I was very impressed by Griffins previous titles; Masque of Red Death and Handcuffs. Dance of the Red Death meanwhile not so much.

I wont go into a whole review because im on a state of disappointment and I want to go jive to some music to drown my emotional sorrows. Of course the girl didn't choose the guy I was barracking for (This tends to be my curse).

But, I will go on to ask, was the duo-logy necessary? Dance of Red Death does nothing but tie up the loose ends that were deliberately put in p...more
Chantelle Jury
Ⓛeah ✿εїз✾
Nov 25, 2012 Ⓛeah ✿εїз✾ marked it as to-read
I have a couple problems with this book already, I'm not saying I didn't love the first one, I did, but where can this go? If anyone else has read the original "Masque of the Red Death" they know death shows up and kills everybody. So is the story going to stick to the original or branch off? And purple mist? You have got to be kidding me :P I just hope the second book surpasses my expectations
Regina
Oct 07, 2012 Regina marked it as to-read
I cannot wait that long for this book to come out! after what happened with Will in the last book i am slightly swinging towards Elliot's side. i dont blame Will though because in his shoes i might have done the same thing and Araby understands that..but it doesnt make it hurt any less..possibly more because she cant even hate him for what happened. Gahh! my heart! i need this book now!
Lindsay Cummings
absolutely breathtaking end to the series. so much adventure and drama....dark, beautiful, and cunning. I adored the masquerade ball scenes, because it really brought Poe's original story to new life. Araby Worth is the best kind of heroine- flawed, but beautifully so.

amazing job, Bethany. you nailed it with this one.
Giselle at BO-OK NERD Canada
A good ending to the dualogy. I never knew Araby would strong both boys along so much. I felt sad for both boys. I really enjoyed the game at the end but the way it was wrapped up felt too abrupt. There were many creepy moments that I felt grossed out by. Overall, it was good but I was expecting it to be better.
Stacee
I struggled with this book. A lot. I kept reading because I was expecting something amazing to happen.

And it did, near the end. I loved the ending game for Araby, it was awesome. But it was too little too late.
Laurel
May 21, 2013 Laurel marked it as to-read
This cover looks like the artist just went "LOLOLOL COLOR REPLACE EVERYTHIIIING."

Looks kinda gross with the purple.
Kandice Dover
Oct 10, 2012 Kandice Dover marked it as to-read
Shelves: want-to-own
HOLY FUCKING CHEEZE-IT'S!!! IT'S SO PRETTY!!!!
Most definitely team Will. :)
Ta§chima Cullen
Oct 17, 2012 Ta§chima Cullen marked it as to-read
Dance of the Purple Death would have made more sense...
Bekka
One of the things readers most look for in a series is character growth. But I think growth of the author is much more important, especially when the first book in a series is the author’s debut. Before I began reading, I knew that Griffin’s sophomore effort, and the second in her Masque duology, Dance of the Red Death, would be the deciding factor in whether I continued to read from this author. In my opinion, Griffin showed now growth in her writing or storytelling from Masque to Dance and tha...more
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: This is a YA Science Fiction book with a hint of Steampunk. It is filled with heartache, love, adventure, and death.

Opening Sentence: MY FATHER IS A MURDERER.

The Review:

Araby’s life has just been turned upside down, and she is on the run for her life. She was betrayed by the boy she loved and her father isn’t the person she thought he was. Araby’s best friend, April, has been infected by the Weeping plague, and there is no known cure. Arab...more
Katy
Props to Bethany Griffin for making this a two-book series. I liked Masque of the Red Death, so I'm glad we can cut out the middle book. However, I struggled with it and ended up thinking it was just okay.

First of all, there was just something about the pacing that was just off. Don't get me wrong, there was plenty of action scenes, but the whole book just sort of dragged. It wasn't that Griffin was overly concerned with imagery and description or that she bogged readers down with any particular...more
April
Review also posted on my blog Dance of the Red Death review

A lot of times when reading a sequel I have a hard time either remember the first book, or understanding where the characters were at. Luckily a friend told me that re-reading the last chapter of Masque would help me when reading this, so I did it. Luckily Dance of the Red Death starts off right where Masque of the Red Death leaves off.

Araby and company are escaping the city by airship while the city is demolished by disease. During the...more
Clare dooley
Dance of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #2) by Bethany Griffin

I was given this book to read and review by Edelweiss.
"THE Dance of the Red Death" by Bethany Griffin is the second book in the "Masque of the Red Death" series. I would consider it in the dystopian genre.

BRIEF SYNOPSIS: after a plague has wrought havoc on a city,the rich,educated,& their family members are left.People are wearing masks that have a filtration system that will help the person wearing it nit to catch the contagion.
With a crumbling city, looting,pillaging and all basic humani...more
Elliot? 4 39 Mar 06, 2014 07:54PM
Crazy for Young A...: Dance of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death #2) → Start Date: December 10th, 2013 34 27 Dec 17, 2013 09:12PM
Missing pages 1 16 Sep 14, 2013 08:17PM
; 1 32 May 03, 2013 03:08PM
  • Thornhill (Hemlock, #2)
  • After Daybreak (Darkness Before Dawn Trilogy, #3)
  • A Darkness Strange and Lovely (Something Strange and Deadly, #2)
  • Naturals (The Lost Souls, #2)
  • The Mirrored Shard (Iron Codex, #3)
  • Shadowlark (Skylark, #2)
  • Phoenix (Black City, #2)
  • Charmed Vengeance (The Aether Chronicles, #2)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Resist (Breathe, #2)
  • Dearly, Beloved (Gone With the Respiration, #2)
  • Deception (Defiance, #2)
  • Belladonna (Secrets of the Eternal Rose, #2)
  • Once We Were (The Hybrid Chronicles, #2)
  • Deep Betrayal (Lies Beneath, #2)
  • A Touch Menacing (A Touch Trilogy, #3)
  • The Life Beyond (The Other Life, #2)
  • Kinslayer (The Lotus War, #2)
Bethany Griffin teaches high school English and creative writing.
More about Bethany Griffin...
Masque of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #1) Glitter & Doom (Masque of the Red Death, #1.5) Handcuffs The Fall Pitch Dark: Dark Days of Summer Sampler

“Sit". I gesture to the chairs.
"I need to tell you something".
"You adore me and are having trouble keeping your hands to yourself?" he suggests.
"No". But my seriousness is lost on him.
He sits and pulls me close. "I'm having trouble keeping my hands to myself”
6 likes
“Thank you for stitching me up" I say.
"I seem to have a talent for it.”
5 likes