Start by marking “Claymore, Vol. 02: Darkness in Paradise (Claymore, #2)” as Want to Read:
Claymore, Vol. 02: Darkness in Paradise (Claymore, #2)

Claymore, Vol. 02: Darkness in Paradise (Claymore #2)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  1,310 ratings  ·  45 reviews
A Claymore - a female warrior named for the sword she carries - travels from medieval village to village to destroy Yoma, monsters who disguise themselves as humans and who are almost impossible to kill. Claymores are half-humans, half-demons who willingly transformed themselves by mixing their blood with monster's blood. Claire, nicknamed silver-eyed killer, is such a pow ...more
Published June 6th 2006 by VIZ Media LLC (first published May 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Claymore, Vol. 02, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claymore, Vol. 02

Rebecca
I liked the second volume of Claymore better than the first. Here we got some actual plot, in the sense that Claire and Raki were put on a stealth mission to the holy city of Rabona. In order to defy the city rules that nothing impure can enter the city, including half-youma, Claire suppresses her powers and uses Raki as a decoy. No one would suspect a Claymore to have a kid brother, after all. Unfortunately, things get bad and Claire is hounded by both the city guards and the youma she's fighti ...more
Mike
Aug 22, 2013 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
This volume starts the first multi-chapter storyline of Claymore right with the first chapter collected and as such is a fine starting point. That said, volume 1 is a good introduction to the main characters and concepts and it really is better to begin there.

A Yoma is terrorizing and preying on the citizens of the holy town of Rabona, and Clare is sent to deal with it. It won't be a simple hunt this time though, as all supernatural creatures are forbidden in Rabona, including Claymores.

Volume 2
The Flooze
Volume 2 of Claymore is much more intense, with a cliffhanger ending that makes me want the next book now.

Clare and Raki enter a holy town where the Claymore is forced to work with diminished senses. Trying to remain undercover while hunting a Yoma is made even more difficult by the elite soldiers who hope to contain the threat themselves.

I like the direction this is taking with Clare and Raki's relationship. It humanizes a warrior who could have otherwise seemed flat. It also serves as a good j
Séverine
Nous retrouvons le jeune Raki en compagnie de Claire, la claymore qu'il accompagne, en mission dans la ville sainte. En effet, un démon sévit depuis trop longtemps, toujours au même endroit, s'attaquant au même type de personnes, mais personne n'arrivent à mettre la main dessus... Un des prêtres a décidé de faire appel aux claymores dans le dos de tout le monde, car faire appel à une de ces sorcières aux yeux d'argents est interdit dans cette ville...

La tâche ne sera pas aisée pour Claire, qui d
Karissa
This was another fantastic installment in the Claymore series. This book is only the first half of a story arc that continues in volume 3 of the Claymore series (Teresa of the Faint Smile). This is an action packed fantasy manga with excellent characterization and great world-building. I have watched all of the Claymore amine and have been eager to read the Manga in order to get more of the story.

This installment picks up shortly after where the first book left off. Clare is asked to hunt down a
machinaheart
Four to five stars for Claymore in general because ... SO MUCH! I guess individual volumes range from three to five, but at the moment I can't properly rate them individually because I ploughed through the manga re-reading a lot and just inhaling the newer volumes. I couldn't stop.
Super intriguing dystopia, mysteries over mysteries without getting less interesting, extremely creative body horror (ranging from beautifully other to horribly disgusting), carving your own path (sometimes, most often
Sarah ~Sehrenity~
Still not digging the art style... all round heads and google eyes... but I am LOVING the story. What a cliffhanger!
Amy
Funny thing: When I started Claymore, this was the volume I picked up first, which, by the way, is something I recommend you never ever do, especially in this medium. The first volume may have been an introductory volume (as most first volumes are) but it did contain important details concerning the Claymores. Details which become major plot and character points.

The setup for this volume is brilliant. Clare's next job takes her to the holy city of Rabona, where the priesthood is being stalked by
MissAnnThrope
17 February 2013

Claymore: Darkness in Paradise, Vol. 2 sends Clare on an undercover operation to the holy city of Rabona. Unfortunately, Claymores are feared and loathed in this holy land and their presence is forbidden. With some handy dandy tricks and using Raki in a ruse, Clare blends in to get her job done.

As I mentioned in my review for the first volume, I really enjoy the relationship with Clare and Raki. This icy Claymore warrior seems softened by the awe-struck Raki. I'm curious to see h
Ana Mardoll
Claymore, Vol. 2 / 9781421506197

I've actually watched the complete Claymore anime first before getting into the manga; when I started deconstructing the incredible anime series on my blog, a kind reader was nice enough to mail me the first five manga volumes as supplemental material. I wasn't sure how closely the anime followed the source material, but so far it's been a very close match, with some extra (and delightful) details available in the manga.

I really love the artwork in this volume --
Susan
The art style in this is - strange. Not bad, just - strange. That's really all I remember about it. The art style was strange, I loved the little kid with... Jean was it? I've forgotton her name, it's been that long. I liked the mystery and the skulking and how the people in the city were idiotic enough to keep up the prejudice of NO CLAYMORES ALLOWED even when they were being picked off one by one. I also think I shipped the knight and the knife-throwing bastard. I have no excuse. I picked it u ...more
Kereesa
As much as I love Claymore, this last volume was kind of boring-ish. Mostly because I knew what was going to happen (though I did forget the main twist which was nice), and because I just can't wait to get down to the fun-killing-bigger-bad-guys plotlines. I love Clare, and I tolerate Raki, but I really miss the funner Claymores that appear later on in the series.

[The awkward relationship between Raki and Clare just isn't doing it for me right now. It didn't do much for me in the anime either,
Federiken Masters
Nov 05, 2011 Federiken Masters rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Manguistas pacientes
Recommended to Federiken by: Que estaba a mano
Cuando leí el tomo 1 me quejaba de que me parecía un buen manga pero de esos que se toman demasiado tiempo para todo. Este tomo no me parece peor que el anterior pero como vuelve a caer en el mismo estiramiento, al punto de ni siquiera terminar la historia que da título al tomo en el mismo libro, lo promedio para abajo. Pero no es un mal manga, sigue estando bien narrado, bien dibujado (pese a MUCHAS pifiadas anatómicas de lo más notables) y dan ganas de seguir leyendo un poco más. Lástima que s ...more
Jihad
First time reading mangas, and I love it! I'm just worried that after this series I won't find another like it :( but overall strong storyline and great connection with the main characters.
Sianeka
This second Claymore volume continues chronicalling the adventures of the Claymore Clare who is still traveling with Raki, a human boy whom she has saved from death by yoma monsters. This volume introduces more of Clare's abilities as she is challenged by a new type of yoma, and also demonstrates Raki's loyalty and love for Clare.

I am still enjoying this series, which is a decent hero vs monster adventure series. The backstory involving Clare and the creation of the Claymores is innovative enoug
Dylan Murphy
A solid follow up to the first volume, this one sees Clare and Raki taking a trip to the Holy City, where Claymore's are not allowed to enter.

The story thus far was great. Lots of action, suspense, and furthering Clare and Raki's personal story a bit as they get closer. The artwork for the Holy City(Rubona?) is phenomenal. The place looks amazing, you can literally pick out every single brick the detail is so good.
I really liked this one because we got to see that Clare isn't quite the best as
Hannah Givens
Mostly filler violence, but still interesting like the first volume.
Ned Gray
Sep 15, 2012 Wickedshizuku rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Manga fans, Anime fans
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: Anime-planet.com
Shelves: manga, reviewed
Volume starts off with Chapter 5: Darkness in Paradise Part 1.
Receiving a new mission Clare and Raki travels to the Holy city of Rabona disguised as siblings selling their late father's antiques. Clare is forced to take Yoma suppressing pills to enter the city, and it automatically effects her abilities to hunt the rogue as well as lower her power. Will she find the rouge before it's to late, and consumes all the priests? Read for yourself in this exciting volume.
Nick
After setting up the premise in Vol 1, Vol 2 starts to hash out the adventures of Claire and her human companion. As usual, the artwork is fairly good although at times a bit weird looking, and the tale with Claire infiltrating a monastery to find monsters isn't bad. Only downer really is that it's still very much all a stereotype- the series still feels like a sidequest in some RPG and needs more. Worth reading for entertainment value- but lacks depth so far.
Vivianr014
The Claymore named Claire went to the the royal city with her cook Raki she is to face a verasi eater and slay it. It was not easy because she can't sent a yoma because of the pills she is taking. The pills she is taking change the color of her eyes so she dosen't look like a claymore you see claymores are not aloud in royal city. As she fights the big yoma she gets hurt really bad will she ever awake from her sleep?
Dexter
I did like it more than the first volume, so I probably will be continuing the series. But I'm still not wild about the art -- all the characters look the same and it's very difficult to tell them apart. The plot of this volume is also more interesting than that of the first, but it's still not quite captivating. But if the series keeps getting better, it could get pretty cool.
*Queen Diva*
Actual rating: 2.5

Sigh... I really, really want to like this series. And it's not that I don't. It really is just an okay series. I'm not entirely bored while I read the volumes, but I'm also not excited.

The artwork is still blah.

I will read at least up until volume 5 for the August read in the Manga Book Club, but I'm not sure if I will continue after that.
Jane
Gripping and beautifully drawn story

Called to the holy city where demon and Claymore alike are loathed. Clare is asked to the cathedral itself to where the Yoma is hiding. The problem is that to infiltrate the city Claire must lose her silver eyes but the drugs that enable this also effect her ability to sense Yoma...
Sara
Clare and Raki are sent to a town where a Yoma has been targeting the inhabitants of the cathedral. She has had to suppress her abilities to sense Yomas, so she finds some difficulty. This volume ends in a cliffhanger and I'm desperate to find out what happens next.
Joy
Even as far as sidekicks go, Raki is impossibly dull. And Yagi's art is so stiff that Clare looks more like a doll than a warrior in a lo of panels. I think it's the odd contrast being the heavy lines used to outline figures and the finer lines used for details.
Ali Alawi
Whaak Yaag GAAAAAAh Splash Sigh GAGA!
LOL most of the things i've read in this manga r the above. I mean comon, i understand that this is manga, but have some decency! LOL GAGAGA!? really?! y iz she everywhere D:
Lauren
What a dramatic series! Claire is such a strong female character and I loved to see how much she grew throughout the series. Her story was so tragic and heartbreaking along with everyone else's.
  • Berserk, Vol. 02
  • Hellsing, Vol. 05 (Hellsing, #5)
  • Bleach Volume 16: Night of Wijnruit (Bleach #16)
  • Black Cat: Cerberus Strikes, Vol. 8 (Black Cat, #8)
Norihiro Yagi (八木 教広 Yagi Norihiro) is a Japanese manga writer and artist from Okinawa Prefecture. He started making manga in 1990.

Norihiro Yagi is a successful manga artist, having won the 32nd Akatsuka Award for his very first work, Undeadman. Undeadman appeared in Monthly Shōnen Jump and has had two sequels. Yagi's first serialized manga was his comedy-genre Angel Densetsu, which appeared in Mo
More about Norihiro Yagi...

Claymore (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Claymore, Vol. 01: Silver-eyed Slayer (Claymore, #1)
  • Claymore, Vol. 03: Teresa of the Faint Smile (Claymore, #3)
  • Claymore, Vol. 04: Marked for the Death (Claymore, #4)
  • Claymore, Vol. 05: The Slashers (Claymore, #5)
  • Claymore, Vol. 06: The Endless Gravestones (Claymore, #6)
  • Claymore, Vol. 07: Fit for Battle (Claymore, #7)
  • Claymore, Vol. 08: The Witch´s Maw (Claymore, #8)
  • Claymore, Vol. 09: The Deep Abyss of Purgatory (Claymore, #9)
  • Claymore, Vol. 10: The Battle of the North (Claymore, #10)
  • Claymore, Vol. 11: Kindred of Paradise (Claymore, #11)
Claymore, Vol. 01: Silver-eyed Slayer (Claymore, #1) Claymore, Vol. 03: Teresa of the Faint Smile (Claymore, #3) Claymore, Vol. 08: The Witch´s Maw (Claymore, #8) Claymore, Vol. 05: The Slashers (Claymore, #5) Claymore, Vol. 04: Marked for the Death (Claymore, #4)