Frogs!: Strange and Wonderful

Frogs!: Strange and Wonderful

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Are kids going to love this book? Is a frog waterproof? The latest title in the popular Strange and Wonderful series delivers the awe-inspiring variety of the world’s hoppiest amphibians. The goliath frog is more than a foot long. The tiny gold frog could sit on a dime. Some frogs have camouflage. Others wear bold colors warning their enemies that they are poisonous. Some...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Boyd Mill Press

To ask other readers questions about Frogs!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frogs!

Jim Erekson
The best thing about this book is Henderson's illustration. The photo-realism is among the best I've seen in the trompe-l'oeil tradition. This is because at first glance and from a distance it looks like photography, but when I stopped and actually looked and started to read, it was easy to see the watercolor technique. So it doesn't have the saturated or airbrushed feel the photorealism of the 1980s had.

As differentiated text, this book brings up some interesting feature issues. In words, the...more
Maggie
In only 32 pages this book presents a great quantity of fascinating information and illustrations featuring frogs and toads, which are also frogs. The author takes an unusual approach by beginning the narrative with, “Make a sound like a frog. Go ahead. Pretend you are a frog and make its sound.” Then he explains that frogs from many parts in the world make a great variety of sounds, even some that resemble quacking and barking.
By reading along a student learns the meaning of the terms amphibian...more
Dolly
This is a terrific nonfiction book about frog that is just filled with fascinating facts, but is not overwhelming in its detail. We learned so much from reading this book - I had no concept about the diversity of the frog population around the world.

We discovered that there's a paradoxical frog in South America whose tadpole is more than three times larger than the adult frog. We learned that of the more than six thousand kinds of frogs in the world, only the Pacific tree frog of the western Un...more
Mackenzie Beals
This book does a great job of informing readers about how all frogs are not the same. All frogs vary in their size, color, sounds, mating, and the ways they live. There are labeled illustrations in this book that show how many different types of frogs there are-and that’s not even all of them! Readers will enjoy learning about different types of frogs as well as their life cycle. It is a very informative book that encourages readers to examine what makes frogs strange and wonderful.
Amy Walters
This book is definitely intended for an older audience, which when I read the description, I was under the impression that it was suitable for younger readers. If I were to use this in an Early Childhood class, I would only use it to introduce frogs, and have a discussion on them. I would never expect them to read it on their own. I know they would not be able to understand it on their own. I do really think I would buy this book, only something I would get from the library, and use it for somet...more
Karla Talbot
Starts by introducing the basic characteristics of amphibians. Continues with information detailing the adaptations that enable frogs to survive in various ecosystems. Use with primary animal units or intermediate units on animal adaptations.
Helen
I thought this was a really good nonfiction book and would work well on the WAW list. I didn't know much about frogs but sure learned a lot, especially about the variety of frogs out there. Some frogs actually have live births! But the text flowed easily and was well-supported by the clear pictures. A yes vote for me.
Kelli Dana
Apr 18, 2012 Kelli Dana added it
Shelves: science
Science Content:
This book is a wonderful book to use when teach students about frogs or when teaching students about the different animal classifications.It would also be great for teaching about the life cycle of frogs or endanger species facts.
This book would be best for 3-5th graders.
John Moore
Frogs: Strange and Wonderful!, Laurence Pringle
Grades: K-5
Topic: Frogs
Description: This book lists different types of frogs (the Goliath frog, tiny gold frog, tree frogs, etc) and lists facts and descriptions incluiding their habitats, their defense mechanisms like camoflauge, and more.
Inna Nako
Grade 3-5, Life cycles of animals, Types of animals/Classifying animals

-this is a great book that shares information on many different types of frogs
-mentions endangered and extinct frogs
-describes basic characteristics of frogs (ex: habitiat, what they do, foos, etc...)
Helen Kumpel
This book is for: PreK-5
Topic: Frogs
Reflection: This book is a wonderful content book about frogs. This would be a great book to introduce to your class when beginning units about life cycles, endangered species, or even talking about textures, colors, etc.
Becca Calvin
I learned a lot about frogs from reading this book. For example all frogs have long back legs. This book would be good to have each child pick a frog from the book and research it and then tell everybody else about it. There are many kinds of frogs too!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Interested in frogs? Pringle does a pretty thorough job with this nonfiction picture book about frogs, their habits, habitats, life cycle, etc. Cool illustrations and lots of details.
Stephanie Watson
This book is a good science book for younger students. It talks about different facts about frogs. The book goes through the life cycle of the frog, and talks about where they live.
Tracy Yamamoto
J597.89P Interesting and informative although a bit detailed for K-1st grade. Nice illustrations.
Kifflie
Very nicely illustrated, informative book about frogs.
Lisa Yi

Megan Zimmerman
1- Characteristics of Living Things
Dubovoyalena
K-3, amphibians
Billions of Years, Amazing Changes: The Story of Evolution Ice!: The Amazing History of the Ice Business An Extraordinary Life Dog of Discovery: A Newfoundland's Adventures with Lewis and Clark The Secret Life of the Woolly Bear Caterpillar