Classical Turkish Cooking: Traditional Turkish Food for the American Kitchen

Classical Turkish Cooking: Traditional Turkish Food for the American Kitchen

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Turkish food is one of the world's great cuisines. Its taste and depth place it with French and Chinese; its simplicity and healthfulness rank it number one. Turkish-born Ayla Algar offers 175 recipes for this vibrant and tasty food, presented against the rich and fascinating backdrop of Turkish history and culture. Tempting recipes for kebabs, pilafs, meze (appetizers), d...more
Published April 7th 1999 by William Morrow Cookbooks (first published October 9th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Classical Turkish Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Classical Turkish Cooking

okyrhoe
One of the best cookbooks on Eastern Mediterranean cooking I happen to own. I just wish I could find as sensible a cookbook for Greek cuisine as this one is.
There are good explanations of techniques and ingredients for the "Western" cook who may not be familiar with many of the Middle Eastern staples, such as tahini, vine leaves, bulgur, clarified butter, etc. There's also a simple recipe for making natural yogurt that I have prepared many times.
Many of the recipes here are very similar to Gree...more
Jill
Not knowing much about Turkish cuisine, I bought this book in order to surprise and delight my new Turkish boyfriend. Between Ayla Hanim's delicious and authentic recipies and my cooking, something must have gone right...because that Turkish boyfriend is now my Turkish husband, and happily fed, at that!
Eipsita Chakraborty
Eipsita Chakraborty marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Kenneth
Kenneth marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Aslı
Aslı added it
Jun 08, 2014
Larina
Larina added it
May 03, 2014
Braden
Braden marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Jason
Jason added it
Mar 13, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Brendan Ferry
Brendan Ferry marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Phuong Vu
Phuong Vu marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
Jeremy
Jeremy added it
Jun 18, 2013
Marie
Marie added it
Mar 30, 2013
Sreevidhya
Sreevidhya marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2013
Rlp
Rlp added it
Nov 25, 2012
Torri
Torri marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2012
Simona
Simona added it
Oct 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Mediterranean, the Beautiful Cookbook: Authentic Recipes from the Mediterranean Lands The Complete Book of Turkish Cooking