Start by marking “Mille notti d'amore” as Want to Read:
Mille notti d'amore

Mille notti d'amore

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,018 Ratings  ·  170 Reviews
Saba ha ventitré anni e sogna di diventare una cantante famosa, ma durante la seconda guerra mondiale la sua vita è destinata a cambiare improvvisamente. Quando le viene proposto di esibirsi per le truppe inglesi stanziate in Nord Africa, Saba accetta con entusiasmo e abbandona la sua famiglia che vive in Galles. Entra così a far parte di una compagnia e insieme a una ball ...more
Published April 19th 2012 by Newton Compton Editore (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Mille notti d'amore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mille notti d'amore

Mitch
Jun 09, 2012 Mitch rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how I can be disappointed with Jasmine Nights when the book delivers exactly what the summary promises, but I am. There are a couple of good moments, great scenes, but it just feels like book's too long and missing things at the same time, even though when I reread the summary it is an accurate description of what Gregson has written. Maybe my expectations were just too high.

My biggest problem's the lack of magic. I don't know how else to describe it, but between the scenes and sett
MAP
I picked up this book because it explores two things often overlooked about WWII: the war on the North African continent, and the role of British entertainers (especially in their roles as spies and special agents.)

Unfortunately, this book was a disappointment. Most of the book is way too fluffy and romancy feeling for a book set in World War II. Then all of the sudden the book takes a very dark turn, which is more appropriate to the gritty reality of WWII, but is a complete tone shift for this
Margarida
Este livro aborda a temática da II Guerra Mundial pelos olhos de uma jovem rapariga galesa, que começa a cantar para soldados em hospitais militares em Inglaterra e depressa tem o convite para partir para as frentes de combate para animar os soldados longe de casa. Essa missão leva-a para o Egipto, onde se reencontra com um soldado aviador que tinha conhecido no hospital onde cantou e onde ele estava a recuperar de ferimentos. A história de amor entre os dois começa a desenrolar-se em paralelo c ...more
Tara Chevrestt
This had a great start full of humor, drama, fear, guilt, and the introduction of some interesting characters.

Dom is a pilot who crashed and now has his buttock grafted onto his cheek. As morbid as it sounds, that's where the humor comes in, when she kisses him, and he makes a cute and funny comment about where that skin came from. I had high hopes for this book as I laughed with them.

Saba's house is full of drama. Her father is abusive and cruel and against her singing. So when she runs off to
Patrice Hoffman
*I recieved this advanced readers copy through goodreads giveaway!

This is the first book I've read by Julia I'm really happy I had the oppurtunity to read this. The story is about a young singer asked to spy during the war efforts of World War II. The setting is very colorful and whimsical while trekking North Africa with Saba Tarcan. And Dom, the soldier she's smitten with is a real class act. It's easy to forget that the world was at war while reading.

There's really not much action in this bo
Darcy
Jun 14, 2014 Darcy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I feel cheated by this novel! The premise sounded so entertaining: a spirited young Welsh woman escapes her prosaic and cloistered life in order to travel to North Africa during World War II, where she experiences danger, love, and espionage. And the story did begin rather well, but just like one of Dom Benson’s airplanes, it went into a tailspin around page 150 and ended up in a smoldering heap of irrelevance and mooning.
There was too much sap and not enough development. The attraction between
Stephen
not normally a type of book I would read the story was okay
June Seghni
May 27, 2012 June Seghni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-ii, romance
I thoroughly enjoyed this wartime story of a half turkish girl singer working to entertain the troops in Egypt whilst carrying out secret missions to help the war effort.Add a romance with a heroic fighter pilot and you have a perfect summer read..
Natalie
Aug 16, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sent to me to review by newbooks magazine!

Jasmine Nights is, at its heart a love story, set against the backdrop of the Second World War.
Saba Tarcan, half Turkish and raised in Cardiff’s Tiger Bay, goes against her strict father’s wishes and enlists with ENSA (Entertainments National Service Association) however, her role in the war effort is not as simple as entertaining the troops, as she is drafted as a spy.
Dom Benson, a pilot for the Desert Air Force meets Saba whilst recovering in hospital
Eric Wright
Gregson narrates a tale focusing on two characters during the North Africa campaign of the Second World War. It is a well-written love story with some historical background on England during the period and especially Cairo and Alexandra during the desert push by Rommel. Not usually one who reads romance, the time and setting peeked my interest.

Saba, a beautiful but headstrong singer from Wales defies her Turkish father and Welsh mother to strike out on her own. Her father, very traditional, for
Christina
Julia Gregson's "East of the Sun" was one of the most satisfying books I've ever read. That makes it all the more frustrating to read anything else by her; catching glimmers of the things that made "East of the Sun" so special while reading a decidedly mediocre work. That sums up "Jasmine Nights" for me in a nutshell. But you know I'm going to keep going anyway.
Gregson does female-female relationships well; I think they're her greatest strength in both her good book and her not-so-good books. Th
Andrea
May 06, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I am honest, after reading the first few chapters of this book, I wasn’t sure if I was going to like it, but as the story evolved a bit more, I became absolutely hooked! Then as the suspense started to build I couldn’t put the book down! The story set in the war years is about a singer and a fighter pilot, although it is a tale of romance and love, it is also a story about living life to the full. The adventurous spirit of the characters is evident as knowing that they may not have many days ...more
Jaclyn
I really wanted to like this one, the premise sounded great - a young girl recruited to spy in Egypt with a love story thrown in! I thought I would be guaranteed to like it, but I didn't end up finishing it. It was one of the books that is put downable. The pacing was incredibly slow, I got to the halfway point and Saba was just starting to get into the spying and falling in love with the pilot, Dom (who goes to extreme lengths to track her down, I might add). I put the book down to read somethi ...more
Jane
This story takes place in the exotic cities of Cairo and Istanbul, during the height of WWII. The title refers to the smell of Jasmine that was noticeable in the evening. Saba Tarcan is a 23 yr old singer from Britain, who auditions and becomes part of a travelling group to entertain the troops in the Middle East during WWII. She accepts the secretive mission to assist the British Secret Service. In the meantime, she meets and falls in love with an American fighter pilot, Dom. The plot takes the ...more
Πάνος Τουρλής
1942. Σαμπά Ταρκάν. Μεγαλώνει στο Κάρντιφ, μέλος μιας αυστηρής και καθώς πρέπει οικογένειας. Το όνειρό της; Να τραγουδήσει! Η θετική απάντηση της ΕΝΣΑ ( υπηρεσία ψυχαγωγίας στους στρατευμένους) στην αίτησή της να περάσει από οντισιόν στο Λονδίνο τη γεμίζει αισιοδοξία! Επιτέλους θα ανοίξουν τα φτερά της. Δυστυχώς σε αυτό είναι αντίθετος ο πατέρας της αλλά τον αγνοεί επιδεικτικά και ταξιδεύει στο Λονδίνο, για να του δείξει πως θα τα καταφέρει και πως οι επιλογές της θα φέρουν μόνο θετικά σχόλια στ ...more
Tracy Terry
Daring, devilishly handsome World War II fighter pilot has near miss and ends up in a burns hospital where he falls in love with an exotic beauty. OK, so said exotic beauty isn't a nurse or indeed the fiancee/wife of one of his fellow patients as they usually are in these novels but in almost every other way Jasmine Nights is fairly typical of the whole 'wartime romance' genre.

A slow, extremely slow, starter it wasn't until some one hundred or so pages from the end of this 422 page long novel th
Fab Librarian
Jun 15, 2015 Fab Librarian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first time that Dom sees Saba it is 1942, he is recovering in a hospital after a horrific accident and plastic surgery. Flying his Spitfire at 20,000 feet he had been forced to eject after the petrol tank in front of the instrument panel exploded.

As Saba sings to the wounded men on the ward, Dom feels her beauty and wonderful singing voice penetrate his carefully built defences, cultivated to stop him feeling too much emotion.

When he leaves hospital Dom is determined to find her again, eve
Elizabeth Moffat
Feb 05, 2013 Elizabeth Moffat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a three and a half star book for me but have rounded it up to a generous four as I thought it was a great story. The characters are wonderful, I really warmed to Saba and Arleta, and the writing is so evocative when describing Egypt and Istanbul. Looking forward to more from this author.

Please see my full review at http://bibliobeth.wordpress.com
Margo Lalli
Jan 14, 2016 Margo Lalli rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was really disappointed in this book. Usually when I get into books, I can read them really quickly. This book took me forever! (Ok, two weeks.) I could only read 3-4 chapters at a time and had to take breaks from it.

The plot potential of this book was great and sounded really interesting. It took more than half the book for the main characters, Dom and Saba, to start their love affair in the middle east. They met in England once and then went their separate ways, but yet somehow found each o
Lyssa
I considered this book an average read. I was not impressed enough to ever read another book by this author. The romance was to coincidental; as the lovers kept meeting up in very convenient ways. Also, the spy storyline was very weak. I'm not really sure how well researched this historical novel was.
Julia
Jun 09, 2016 Julia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved "East of Eden" but Julia Gregson has failed to repeat the magic here in "Jasmine Nights." I liked this book for the first 100 pages or so but then I got bored. I wasn't compelled by the love story, especially since Saba and Dom spend most of the book apart. Overall, I was disappointed.
Karen Wolff
Jun 15, 2016 Karen Wolff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war
A wartime love story with a different angle. It is seen through the eyes of a singer for the troops and a fighter pilot. Added interest comes with the singer's background. She has Turkish family, so learns more about her culture, her father's attitude and the language through song.

One thing I really disliked about this novel is the way the writer uses an ugly similie. She likens the moon to a toenail. What a totally uninspiring image that creates. She then later likens an airstrip to a toenail.
Etna Royal
Oct 07, 2014 Etna Royal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prelepa knjiga o devojci koja je pratila svoje snove iako opasne po život. Pevanje je bilo njena strast, muzika njen život. Suprostavila je se svome ocu, hrabro je to učinila i na kraju krajeva pametno. Jer da nije tako bilo ona bi uvenula poput biljke, u ništavilu. Upoznala je dobre prijatelje u kojima je videla oslonac i svi su bili tako isti a opet posebni svako na svoj način. Našla je ljubav svog života i to baš onda kada je ceo svet tražio ruku spasa u tim vremenima. Pustoliovina koja vas v ...more
Dana
Aug 19, 2015 Dana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was attracted to Jasmine Nights because of the historical component of singers acting as spies during World War II. So, I was beyond disappointed when about 20 pages of the more than 400 of this novel focused on Sada acting as a spy. That development didn't happen for well over 100 pages, and it came out of nowhere. Putting aside that let down, the book was a pretty good historical romance. However, it started off a bit slow and the romance between Sada and her lover didn't have much of a basi ...more
Indira
Jun 12, 2014 Indira rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liz
Aug 08, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a Goodreads First Read in exchange for my honest review.

I would give this book 4.5 stars if I could. The writing is absolutely beautiful---amazing imagery and powerful descriptions. I really did not want the book to end. The main character Saba Tarcan is immediately likeable, and her perspective of World War II through the eyes of a performer is unique and engrossing. The juxtaposition of Dom's perspective, as a pilot in the war, keeps the story grounded and adds to the i
Sharon
Aug 05, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's the height of WWII, and singer Saba Tarcan longs to break free of the restrictive world in which she lives. Her Turkish father is abroad with the shipping line and her very traditional Welsh mother doesn't want her making a spectacle of herself.

Well, Saba decides to go sing for a burn unit at the hospital, where she meets fighter pilot Dom Benson. This is the beginning of her second serious romance, and one of which her mother fully disapproves.

The disapproval worsens when Saba is offered
Sheila
Feb 02, 2013 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WWII fiction buffs, historical fiction fans
Recommended to Sheila by: Saw it in the library's "new" section
This is a novel of World War II as experienced by two British young people: Saba Tarcan, a half-Welsh half-Turkish singer recruited to sing for the troops, and Dominic Benson, an English RAF pilot. The two meet when Saba sings for a hospital burn ward in which Dom is recovering; the story continues when Saba defies her father to accept an invitation to audition for ENSA in London and Dom and Saba meet again. As Saba is sent to Cairo to begin her performance tour through the desert, Dom arranges ...more
Jayne Charles
Sep 08, 2012 Jayne Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a significant step up from ‘East of the Sun’, good as that novel was. The quality of the writing and the story was consistently high throughout, and it had a good blend of adventure and romance. This is writing that’s interesting to read even when there is not much going on plot-wise, rich in detail, and even characters and events on the periphery of the plot are given an impressive depth. The section where Barney is on leave and “bored shitless, reduced to playing bridge with some briga ...more
Vera Marie
Julia Gregson specializes in chick-hist-lit. I invented that to mean historical novels featuring adventurous and strong-willed female characters in romantic situations in exotic locations. And she bases their adventures on true stories. In 2009, I reviewed her best seller, East of the Sun and so I was happy to take a look at her new Jasmine Nights.

In a nutshell, the heroine Saba Tarcan, whose father is a strict old-fashioned man from Turkey, leaves her native Wales to follow her dream of singin
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 22, 2015 08:48AM
Another wartime story? 3 10 Jun 14, 2012 08:55AM
  • The Alhambra
  • Spices: A Global History
  • The Humanistic Tradition: Prehistory to the Early Modern World (The Humanistic Tradition, #1)
  • Year of the Elephant: A Moroccan Woman's Journey Toward Independence
  • Harem: The World Behind the Veil
  • Amandine
  • Villa Triste
  • The 5-Minute Iliad and Other Instant Classics: Great Books For The Short Attention Span
  • The Making of the West: Peoples and Cultures, a Concise History: Volume I: To 1740
  • The White Pearl
  • The Lavender Keeper
  • The Memory Garden
  • Tea: A Global History (The Edible Series)
  • God Dies By The Nile
  • Jubilee
  • World Religions: The Great Faiths Explored & Explained
  • Abdication
  • My Name is Chellis and I'm in Recovery from Western Civilization
My father was in the Air Force, so after thirteen schools I left early longing to travel and have adventures. I worked as a jillaroo in the Australian outback, a girl groom, a shearer’s cook, a secretary, a hospital cleaner, and later, back in England, as a house model for Hardy Amies in London.

In the seventies, and back in Australia again, love of horses led to riding out with Mick Jagger on the
More about Julia Gregson...