Start by marking “Arcadia” as Want to Read:
Arcadia

Arcadia

Populated by rockers, Deadheads, misfits, skinheads, Goths, surfers, preppies, cheerleaders, and jocks, ARCADIA by Mandana Towhidy is a Fast Times at Ridgemont High for the Metal years. It's an honest story of Ronnie and her friends (Ezze, Tess, Ash, and Syd), teen girls in the heart of the Hollywood Metal scene during the late 80s/early 90s, ruling it in their own way, wi ...more
Published July 8th 2012 by maybeparade

Tabitha Vohn
May 06, 2014 Tabitha Vohn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-cool-table
Ever wonder about those girls in 80’s metal music videos? They stood behind chain linked fences in throngs of fierce denim cut-offs with frost-tipped hair and neon eyeshadow. Every now and then, David Lee Roth or Brett Michaels or some other rock god would ram his tongue down one of their throats and toss them on the back of a motorcycle and ride off into the gin-soaked sunset. Or, at least, that was their dream. I always wondered about those girls. What were their lives like after the tour buse ...more
Becky
Jan 03, 2014 Becky rated it really liked it
I received this e book quite a while ago, in fact I received it last year (I’m sorry, I needed to make the joke) and I would first like to apologise to Mandana Towhidy for taking so long to read this. Now, I really do not know much about the 80s and what I do know is purely stereotypical things. You know big hair and occasional good music. So I guess reading ARCADIA has been a slightly educational experience.

Towhidy provides the readers with a unique experience, well one that I have not come ac
Jennifer  Ricketts (Donnie Darko Girl)
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review for my stop on the blog tour at Donnie Darko Girl.

Arcadia took a minute for me to get into with the slang, but once I was in, I was in and there was no going back. This was a fresh and entertaining read that kept me up late because I didn't want the party to end. I grew up in the early to mid-90's grunge era, and at times, I almost wished I had grown up in the metal scene.

I couldn't help but wonder if any school could be the way R
Reem Atallah
Jul 15, 2014 Reem Atallah rated it it was amazing
I came into this story thinking I wasn't going to like it, mainly because I wasn't a huge metal fan but I decided to give it a try.

SO TOTALLY WORTH IT.

This book was beyond my expectations I loved the story, I loved the characters, I freaking ADORED the soundtrack and now I'm a huge metal/rock fan! GAH!

Ronnie was so genuine and fun and sweet it will be so hard not to like her and all her friends are super spunky and fun and DIFFERENT.

This book was so different from any book I've ever read. I
Tanya Searle
Sep 28, 2013 Tanya Searle rated it really liked it
Firstly, thank you to Mandana Towhidy for the chance to read and review this book. It's not a genre I'd generally look for when seeking out new titles to read but... wow. I loved this novel.

I loved the interactive playlist which blasted through my speakers as I immersed myself in Ronnie's world. Mandana has really developed these characters, in a way that was subtle in a completely un-subtle world.

I don't want to accidently reveal spoilers but I love the ending. Nothing about this novel is 'usu
Amy Warren
Apr 29, 2014 Amy Warren rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
The author sent me this book, free of charge, for an honest review.

This book was definitely different. Right off the bat, you can tell its going to be weird because it says that its a "metal" novel.
The novel pretty much follows Ronnie and her friends as they live life through the 80's. And boy, does it scream 80's. I was born in 1992, so I never had the privilege of living in that time, but by reading this book, I got a pretty good idea of what life was like.
Holy crap, some of the things that
Krisy
May 11, 2014 Krisy rated it liked it
I would like to start off giving a big thank you to the author, Mandana Towhidy, for send me this book to review

This book was not like anything I've read before, as well it was not what I expected once I started reading it. I found it interesting to read something from that generation and seeing who different things where then for some people than they are now. I enjoyed getting to see the "wild side" of the younger generation, as well I liked noticing how in somethings from then are still aroun
Carrie
I was given a copy for an honest review!

Arcadia is set in the 80s, it's main character is Ronnie, she's the smart and quite one in the lot. Each section or chapter is focusing on each of her friends. And what party or show they are going to or what guy they like at the time. We have big hair, wet N wild lip gloss, and metal!!

I was kind of looking for more when I started this book because hello it's a book about the 80s and metal. As a lover of 80s metal I jumped at the chance to read this book.
Shannon
Sep 16, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It brought back the flavor of the 1980s/early 1990s. It made me wish that I had been old enough to party with these girls then, but also glad that I was not. The description was so detailed that I felt like I was there with them.
I really enjoyed the fact that there was a playlist of music to go along with the book. It was a fabulously complementary playlist, which I had a great time listening to.
The end did fall a little flat for me, but that might be because I was
Taiyewo
Oct 11, 2013 Taiyewo rated it really liked it
This book surprised me!

I didn't expect this type of writing for this genre. Wow! It's like Clueless marries the 80s! I couldn't put it down! Unfortunately for me I have the 1st Gen Kobo reader so I wasn't able to listen to the music while reading. But I'm sure that the music would have added to the feel of the time period and to the moment it was inserted into the chapters. My only criticism is that I felt it ended a bit abruptly. I wanted to know what was going to happen between Farrah/Ronnie a
Colleen
Dec 10, 2013 Colleen rated it really liked it
I truly enjoyed this book. It took me right back to the 1980s and high school. Mandana has the era down perfectly - what we did. what we wore and most importantly 80s hair! The romantic (or lack there of ) as well as the school pecking order are realistic. The characters stay with you afyer the story is long over.

The concept of including a soundtrack via youtube is fantastic. I enjoyed every song and in fact have saved the playlist to listen to over and over.

I received this book in exchange for
Slawka Grabowska
May 22, 2013 Slawka Grabowska rated it really liked it
/I received a free copy from the author/

I was a bit skeptical before reading: it sounded so promising that I thought it couldn't be true. But I ended up loving it: the soundtrack is great, the descriptions vivid and suggestive. If i had to complain I would say there were a bit too many descriptions of outfits. Some of them were necessary, but some seemed to be too much. I also have to say I loved the ending: I was afraid of it, it would be so easy to make it banal, but it fitted perfectly. It is
Alwaysreadingbooks - Reading Drinking and Relaxing
I received this book for my honest review

Great book, the characters were great and the story line was wonderful. I liked the fact that this was about a group of friends who were all different but had one thing in common. The fact that each character had a story and back story was wonderful. There was nothing like being transported back in time to remember the fashion and what all was going on at that time. This book held me from beginning to end.
Shelby
Oct 06, 2013 Shelby rated it liked it
* I received a free e copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review *

Based solely on the storyline, I would have given this book a 2 but add in it's uniqueness and I thought it was worth a 3.

Arcadia centers around a high school girl named Farrah, aka Ronnie, and her friends. The author treats you to a first hand look at the California party scene of the late 1980s that you wouldn't otherwise see unless you lived it.

I thought the book was really unique in that it included i
Barb
Oct 14, 2013 Barb rated it liked it
I was given a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. Thank you Mandana Towhidy!

Growing up in the 80's, the author did a great job with her descriptive writing making the 80's come alive. I truly enjoyed the how the soundtrack was incorporated into the story, it was something different and unique which tied into the story.

With that being said I found it hard to get into the story because it was overtly descriptive at times and I found myself wondering where the story was going because I
Hannah (Broc's Bookcase)
I received a free copy in return for a review.

I didn't know what to expect with this one but was pleasantly surprised. The soundtrack was good, I'm not really a metal head at all, but it really added to the story. I've always thought that books should have soundtracks and this one worked really well.
The story was we'll written with some interesting characters. A lot of description which was both a good and bad thing: good, because it made me feel like I was there. Bad because sometimes it was ju
Julie
Sep 18, 2013 Julie rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I really liked the music side, all the links were great as I'm something of a metal head myself. I didn't really enjoy the story though, I found it to be slow moving and rather too descriptive (fluffy hair, bangs, hairspray and lipgloss) it was just a bit too much for me.

Ronnie was a sweet thing but I kept losing track of which friend she was with and what party she was at. The Fang was an interesting character too.

I'm really g
Brandi
Oct 08, 2013 Brandi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bad-boy-lead
*I received this book free from the author for an honest review*

This book is about a girl name Ronnie and her friends. It takes place in the late 80s early 90s. It explains their high school life. It includes sex, drugs, and parties. The moral of the story is guys come and go but your friends will always be there for you.

I felt there was too much character development in the story which took away from the experience of the book. I think it should have focused more on Ronnie as a whole rather tha
Oct 14, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
This book was definitely not what I expected. It is about life in the 80's, where a group of teens party, drink smoke dope, party, drink, smoke dope. There is also some fighting and boy drama. It was an interesting read personally not my kind of book. It was well written and i really did love the flashbacks of the eighties I was having when describing clothing and hair and other things associated with this generation. I personally felt there was too much partying and lack of a strong story line, ...more
Cindy
Oct 03, 2013 Cindy rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book for a honest review.

Arcadia is a book that takes place in the late 1980's and what it was like to be in high school and live in the LA area. Big hair, heavy metal, and wild parties are the norm for the main character Ronnie. This book is very descriptive and does a great job making you feel like you stepped back in time.

Arcadia made me feel like I was reliving my high school years but the story fell short for me and ended very abruptly. However I did enjoy the c
Faye
Oct 05, 2013 Faye rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this book. Thank you!

On to the review.

It was actually interesting. What I like about the book was the music that was included. It was fun listening to them. It really makes you feel what is happening in the books. The characters were pretty interesting. I think the only problem would be the description. Some was just a bit too much. Although you could get that feeling like you're really in it. The ending fitted perfectly.
Rebecca A
Nov 06, 2013 Rebecca A rated it did not like it
I have never had a book that I could not finish...until this book. Utterly self-involved and crammed with profanity, I couldn't bring myself past the first fifty pages. Granted, it deals with a scene I'm not familiar with.

I believe every book should be given a chance, but if crass, disrespectful, and arrogant protagonists turn you off? Steer clear.

Otherwise? Go for it.
Ahmad Chaudhary
Ahmad Chaudhary rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2017
Mandana
Apr 11, 2012 Mandana rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: heavy-metal
Vivek
Vivek rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2013
Regan
Regan rated it it was ok
Sep 21, 2013
Cinthia
Cinthia rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2013
Holly
Holly rated it really liked it
May 03, 2014
Mandana Towhidy is a writer and editor whose work was featured in Dazed&Confused, Tokion, Oyster (she was the US Editor for 5 years) as well as numerous other online and print publications. She has also been a trend forecast editor and creative director for brands including Levi's and Nike. Mandana grew up in Los Angeles and loves to go hiking with her little dog Lotte.

2016 UPDATE:
NEW NOVEL T
More about Mandana Towhidy...