Start by marking “My Sanctuary” as Want to Read:
My Sanctuary

My Sanctuary

5.0 of 5 stars 5.00  ·  rating details  ·  9 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Rebecca Dolores Kingsley, better known as Dot, is a precocious young girl with a lot to say. Despite the bleak Catholic orphanage where she resides, the indifference of the adults charged to care for her, and her painful past, Dot is determined to find the sense of safety and belonging that has eluded her since birth. Even if this means taking Kenny, a fellow orphan, under ...more
Published May 2012 by Vagabondage Press

To ask other readers questions about My Sanctuary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Sanctuary

Skyla
A child can’t choose its mother, but maybe a mother can choose her child.

My Sanctuary is the story of Dot, a young teen growing up in a Catholic orphanage in the fifties. It isn’t a nice place to be, but there are bright spots in her life, from her crush on her school teacher Mr. Martin to taking care a fellow orphan named Kenny who she has dubbed her “baby.” Beyond that, though, Dot finds what we all need sometimes: a sanctuary, somewhere to go where a stained-glass angel smiles down on her and
Levian
Dot was a young girl who grew up in a Catholic orphanage. her parents put her in it after discovering that her father sexually abused her. she grew up with plenty to say but no one to say it to. one day, a new orphan joined the orphanage. Kenny was a smart kid. Dot decided to take him under her wings, calling him her baby. she often brought him to her sanctuary, a secret place where she kept to herself and now shared with Kenny. the duo bonded and became family against the cruelty of the orphana ...more
Melissa Hayden
Powerful read, in the life of young Dot.

***Full review***

We meet a lonely young girl, Rebecca Dolores Kingsley, whom everyone calls Dot. She was left, by her mother, at the orphanage the day after she turned eight, in 1952. We see a year in her eyes at the orphanage shortly after turning fourteen when Kenny first shows up, and learns things the hard way at this church orphanage. Dot decides to take him under her wings and nurture him in this rough place and world. Dot cares for Kenny like 'her b
Linda Gallant Potts
"My Sanctuary," is Sarah-Jane Lehoux's compelling story of life in a 50's orphanage. Written in the first person, it reveals a disturbing and unfair world where cruelties were often hidden under a veneer of innocence and benevolence. The protagonist, "Dot," is both believable and memorable. Readers will find themselves rooting for her and wanting more.
Literary  Chanteuse
This story from the beginning had an appealing type of monologue that had me hooked. I could picture the characters in my mind vividly and their voices with accents. An emotional story that shows the human heart and spirit how it holds out for love and hope under difficult circumstances. Excellent short story!
Ruthe Collins
A good story.It takes What Used To Be, adds some might have been. The characters are consistent and well-developed with idiosyncrasies and believable flaws. It handles problems that we like to think belong in the used-to-be, But the new emphasis on bullying leaves the reader wondering:Is it really better now?

Barb Henderson
This very short book is full of emotion and a view of a darker stage in our society. It is an awakening look at the orphanages of the 1950’s. It is definitely worth an hour or two of your time to read this book.
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Diana Fong
Diana Fong marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2013
Bea
Bea marked it as to-read
May 19, 2012
Making Connection...: 608. - MY SANCTUARY by Sarah-Jane Lehoux 7 15 Oct 11, 2014 06:04PM
Creative Reviews: YA Giveaway 1 10 Apr 12, 2012 08:50AM
Book Giveaways: Advanced Review Copies of My Sanctuary 1 5 Apr 12, 2012 08:49AM
You'd think that what with me being an author and all, I'd be able to come up with something witty to put here. Not bloody likely. Writing bios is stupidly stressful, so screw it. You get the Cliff Notes version.

I'm an author, an editor, and a cover artist. I like animals and the paranormal. If I was a braver person, I'd try urban exploration, but because I'm not, I indulge in my curiosity online.
More about Sarah-Jane Lehoux...
Thief (Sevy, #1) Shades of War (Sevy, #2) Masquerade (Sevy, #3) Romancing the Beard To My Demons: an exercise in exorcism