The Naturals (The Naturals, #1)

The Naturals (The Naturals #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  5,369 ratings  ·  976 reviews
Seventeen-year-old Cassie is a natural at reading people. Piecing together the tiniest details, she can tell you who you are and what you want. But it’s not a skill that she’s ever taken seriously. That is, until the FBI come knocking: they’ve begun a classified program that uses exceptional teenagers to crack infamous cold cases, and they need Cassie.

What Cassie doesn’t r...more
Published November 5th 2013 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Naturals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Naturals

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
247th out of 1,498 books — 10,196 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothThe House of Hades by Rick RiordanChampion by Marie LuThe Dream Thieves by Maggie StiefvaterWorld After by Susan Ee
Fall 2013 Young Adult Fantasy Books
8th out of 79 books — 151 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (Kittens, Rainbows, and Sunshine)

This book is Criminal Minds fanfiction, for the under-15 crowd. It takes a great deal of suspension of disbelief to read this book; and I'm not talking about the preposterousness of the idea that children---teenagers, can be FBI criminal investigators. The necessary suspension of disbelief from the reader's part is required in order to swallow the fact that a bunch of utterly incompetent, petty teenagers are capable of looking beyond their egotistical, self-centered noses.

There's this show I lov...more
Faye, la Patata

Man, this was such a huge letdown.

I was really looking forward to this book because I thought I'd finally get to read something like Criminal Minds or Lie To Me or, heck, even CSI. I loved those shows; I gobbled them all up when I first learned about their existence. The Naturals promised me that, but unfortunately, it was a disappointment all around.

These are what The Naturals consists of:

* 50% drama from an unnecessary love triangle;
* 20% of Cassie overthinking things, apart from being dull a...more
Giselle
The Naturals is a hit or miss for me and very hard to review. Some parts of the book I really enjoyed, while others I found lacking. To give you an example - I'm not even sure if this book is part paranormal or not. As a serial killer mystery, however, it has its fair share of appealing qualities.

This novel starts by introducing us to our protagonist, Cassie, who's always been good at reading people with only the tiniest of details. She quickly meets with an FBI team who takes her on to train a...more
Julia
It was a freaking mega fantastic book. I simply couldn't stop reading it. It was mind-blowing and thrilling at the same time.
I haven't been on such emotional roller coaster for a long time. I loved one characters, I hated another but after some pages everything became vice versa.
It was especially interesting to read the profiler's job - all their I-You-UNSUB thing. It gives you a lot to think and a lot to analize (and believe me I've seen all the episodes of CSI LOL).
Sometimes you just forget th...more
Krista (Nawanda Files)
The Naturalsis the third Jennifer Lynn Barnes book that I've dived into. The first,Raised By Wolves:I loved most of the characters but didn't like how the plot panned out. The second,Nobody:was written in a stream of consiousness kind of writing style that wasn't my cup of tea. So entering into The Naturals, I knew I could either love the book or hate it. And I'm pleased to say that The Naturals is my favorite of Barnes' books so far. To honor this occasion we will pause to dance...

...and back...more
Mimi Valentine
WOW! This was really, REALLY good -- a million times better than I expected, and a million times more original than ninety percent of YA books that come out nowadays. The whole mystery aspect? The cool Natural abilities? I'm literally reeling from how cool it was!

(The romance was admittedly not the most original -- so sue me, because I still absolutely LOVED it! I have to admit that I'm partial to troubled boys with troubled pasts like Dean, but I still loved Michael and his sweet, evasive, quir...more
AH
The Naturals has a really neat premise. Imagine Criminal Minds for young adults. The Naturals are a crack team of teenagers with special abilities who are being trained by the FBI to solve cold cases. Each of these teens has some kind of talent in reading crime scenes: the ability to profile, analyse, or use the powers of deception.

The story revolves around this group trying to solve the case of a serial killer. The reader gets a glimpse inside the killer's demented mind and it is rather creepy...more
Katy
Oct 11, 2013 Katy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those looking for suspense of a police procedural type in YA fiction
Recommended to Katy by: NetGalley
Book Info: Genre: Suspense
Reading Level: Young Adult
Recommended for: fans of suspense novels
Book Available: November 5, 2013 in Kindle and Hardcover formats and November 12, 2013 in Audio CD format
Trigger Warnings: murder, torture, mutilation

My Thoughts: Shortly after I added this to my bookshelves on a social media site, I received a comment from someone telling me they were going to turn this into a TV series. I can really see that. It has all the elements that a good TV series needs: suspense...more
Louize
Thoughts from The Page Walker

YA Criminal Minds

I have to let the gushing out first… I totally love this book. This here is my favorite YA mystery/ thriller/ crime story of the year. Don't worry, that surprised me too. As you know I love a good mystery thriller- after reading a lot in that genre, and watching plenty of CSI, The Mentalist, Criminal Minds and Sherlock -I have to say that this just took me by surprise.

The surprise wasn’t just the twist at the end, it was the characters foremost....more
Sarah ~Sehrenity~
**This review is of an ARC**
Expected publication November 2013
ISBN-10: 1423168232
ISBN-13: 978-1423168232

In a nutshell, I’d say—Holy cow! This book is fabulous! I read it in two days, and probably would have finished earlier if it weren’t for pesky things like life and sleep. This is hands-down one of the best teen procedural novels I’ve read in… well, ever. Highly recommended for fans of hard-nosed criminal procedurals.

The plot follows 17-year old Cassie, a “natural” profiler, as she is recruit...more
Amy
A great start to a cool new series! Ally Carter's blurb on the front says it perfectly, "THE NATURALS is CRIMINAL MINDS for the YA world...". These kids are "natural" profilers, and I really liked that their ability was portrayed as just that: natural. It wasn't a super power or the result of some government experiment. It was so refreshing! I was REALLY disturbed on the parts that were from the serial killer's perspective. They were after every chapter! But I ended up skimming those and underst...more
Sue (YAHollywood)
It’s been so long since I’ve read a YA book that I finished in one sitting down. The Naturals is mind-blowing and thrilling. Mini review to come.
Christian
"This is a game. I hear Dean's voice echoing through my memory. It's always a game. That was what he'd told Michael, and at the time, I'd agreed. To the killer, this was a game-and suddenly, I couldn't help thinking that the good guys might not win this one.
We might lose.
I might lose."

This book was AMAZING! Jennifer Lynn Barnes has been one of the greatest authors that I have come across and she always weaves a tale of intrigue and complexity . "The Naturals" was no exception. The book was full

Another case of: Is this a series? The blurb on netgalley led me to believe so, but all I can say is, if it's a standalone, I will be angry for the rest of my life.

So let me quickly set the scene for you. Cassandra 'Cassie' Hobbes is a young girl living with the Italian side of her family as her father is in the Air Force, and her mother was murdered when she was young. Cassie feels odd and out of place in this family, as she looks so much like her red-headed mother, and finds it hard...more
Louisa
Serial killers: hate 'em or hate 'em, they're fascinating. I've always been into crime suspense and the brilliant show Criminal Minds. I even have a mammoth book of unsolved serial killer cases, numerous true crime books lying around - hell, someone who looks at my bookshelf might think me a fanatic. Perhaps that's why I found The Naturals just... boring.

There's plenty of dumbing down of shit. Throw in a completely unnecessary love triangle, characters straight out of a "how to write an ensemble...more
Lauren
UPDATE: Finished reading it! Gosh, was this amazing. It was a mixture of Hannibal/Sherlock all in one is what it reminded me of! Great criminal minds thriller. I would love to read more like this.

----------

Got this at TLA, won't come out till the end of this year! Can't wait to get a taste of it. :) Jennifer Lynn Barnes is such a nice person. I met with her in person and even chatted alone for 20 minutes or so. We talked about wolves and being writers together.
♥ Sarah
As the first book in the series, this book was refreshingly entertaining. Despite the somber and dark subject matter of the book (which deals with teens stepping into the minds of serial killers), this book was not as dark as you'd expect.

It's painfully obvious that The Naturals is geared for Young Adults (in all aspects). Cue the obligatory love triangle, the quirky and sassy heroine, the semi-witty dialogue, and the diverse side characters in all their Natural glory – and voila! Even the over...more
A Canadian Girl
The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes was kind of an interesting read in that I really enjoyed the parts that I liked and hated the parts that I didn’t. I figured a pros and cons list therefore would probably serve best as a review for this book.

Pros:
- My favourite thing about The Naturals was the mystery. My suspicions about who the serial killer was turned out to be completely off base, and I was very surprised by who it turned out to be!
- I’m not sure what this says about me, but I also loved...more
Alice in Readerland
This review was originally posted on aliceinreaderland.com: I’ve been a fan of Jennifer Lynn Barne’s The Squad series (two words: cheerleader spies), so when I heard that she was coming out with a new book that had to do with a mystery/profiling, I was so excited! This book kind of made me think of it as this: description
meets
description The Mentalist meets Mean Girls (believe me, both of them use a ton of psychology). Or, you know, just think of The Mentalist lead as a teenage girl.

Jennifer has such a great talent...more
Chrissy
I was definitely excited to receive a review copy of THE NATURALS by Jennifer Lynn Barnes, both because I tend to enjoy titles from the Disney-Hyperion label and also because I genuinely enjoyed EVERY OTHER DAY, the first work I read from this author. And, I mean, just look at the cover art -- it is FABULOUS, is it not? (You KNOW you judge a book by it's cover ... don't deny it!)

In THE NATURALS we get the opportunity to meet seventeen year old Cassie, the daughter of a self-proclaimed psychic wh...more
Janita
I was so excited when I received a copy of this book from Netgalley. The premise of the novel intrigued me: these were teenagers with pseudo-superpowers, except their superpowers were much more realistic and interesting than the normal super-strength, invulnerability, and flight. Add their abilities to crime solving, and I was sold. However, I was worried because Jennifer Lynn Barnes’ previous books didn’t really seem like they were up my alley. I needn’t have worried, because The Naturals was s...more
Veronica
Well.... The premise of this story is good, but in certain areas it fell short. For example, the Michal-Cassie-Dean love triangle felt like she put it in there because it was expected. The boys were both stereotypes. First the cold stand-offish person, a sad past, cocky, arrogant, really talented at their skill, and attractive. In most YA novels you can find this. Next you spend over half of the book world building, it is important, but when the crime was the focus the story felt rushed.

A cool...more
MissOddball (Shadowraith's Apprentice)
Really really good!! :D i dunno why there are so many negative reviews x(
Cassie was a little annoying and frustrating (and a bit flat in character around the middle part) but it was overall sooooo good!!
I might be watching crime shows from now on XD I wasn't really ever interested in TV, but hey..first time for everything :D

**If you catch me staring at you..it's probably my feeble attempt at profiling you. Please don't get freaked out and run away...I'm a nice person...XD

GO read it now.

...ple...more
Glenajo
Interesting, interesting premise! These kids, because of their situations growing up, learned how to read others in much the same manner as FBI’s profilers. As a person who works with kids, I can definitely see that some kids learn at a very young age skills they need to survive in their situation. In this book, the FBI takes advantage of those skills. This book has so many twists and turns in it; anyone who enjoys psychological thrillers will enjoy it. This is a “must” purchase for all YA secti...more
Anastasia
Знаете, это действительно хорошая книга. Не лучшая в этом жанре, конечно, но она хороша. Написана в стиле сериала Менталист, меня она зацепила с первых глав. Умная героиня, интереснейшие персонажи и хорошая задумка - то что нужно чтобы провести хороший вечер с такой книгой.
Главная интрига - убийца. Честно, я ожидала подобного конца, но все-таки прописан он там вполне нормально, а не как бывает: тяп ляп лишь бы закончить. Ненавижу писателей за подобное, честное слово.
А вообще - стиль повествове...more
Jess
Criminal Minds, catered for your YA demographic

I've yet to read a thing by Jennifer Lynn Barnes, but now I'm definitely intrigued. The Naturals is exactly what my summation above proclaims it to be-- Criminal Minds, in a written form. Is it perhaps as good as Criminal Minds? For now, no. The objective two words being for now. That, I suppose, is up to the sequels--whether or not the author can tap into, and bring forth the character depth and development that the advantageous years have bequeath...more
Dayse Dantas
I. LOVED. IT.
LOVED.
IT.
ABSOLUTELY. LOVED.
IT.

(Giudice, talvez, de uma ceeeerta forma, acho que temos um novo Secret Society Girl em nossas mãos) (tipo, uma história não tem NADA a ver com a outra) (mas sabe aqueles FEELINGS??? Sabe......?????)
Joy (joyous reads)
Much of the reviews for this book have touched on it being highly implausible. It's hard to believe that a group of teenagers could potentially be FBI agents solving cold-case crimes. I've encountered certain reviews for fiction that questions exactly what drugs an author was when he or she wrote the book they just read. I may, in the past, have fielded the same question. However, nowadays, I'm becoming more generous. Truthfully, this now irritates me. I found myself saying, if you want to read...more
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
A copy of this novel was received in exchange for an honest review, but this review is for a library copy of the audiobook.

This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

Serial killer books are rather hit or miss for me, what with the mystery often falling flat or the gore being over-the-top, but I'd read a couple of Barnes' books before and enjoyed them, so I thought I'd give her attempt at a serial killer mystery a try. And I wasn't disappointed. This might actually be my favorite JLB...more
  • Palace of Spies (Palace of Spies, #1)
  • This Wicked Game
  • Hereafter (Shadowlands, #2)
  • How to Lead a Life of Crime
  • Another Little Piece of My Heart
  • Twinmaker (Twinmaker, #1)
  • After Eden (After Eden, #1)
  • The F- It List
  • Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)
  • Hostage Three
  • Olivia Twisted
  • Relativity
  • Find Me (Find Me, #1)
  • Going Rogue (Also Known As, #2)
  • Impostor (Variants, #1)
  • Prep School Confidential (Prep School Confidential, #1)
  • Spies and Prejudice
  • The Rules for Disappearing (The Rules for Disappearing, #1)
Jennifer Lynn Barnes (who mostly goes by Jen) was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma. She has been, in turn, a competitive cheerleader, a volleyball player, a dancer, a debutante, a primate cognition researcher, a teen model, a comic book geek, and a lemur aficionado. She's been writing for as long as she can remember, finished her first full book (which she now refers to as a "practice book" and which none...more
More about Jennifer Lynn Barnes...
Raised by Wolves (Raised by Wolves, #1) Trial by Fire (Raised by Wolves, #2) Taken by Storm (Raised by Wolves, #3) Perfect Cover (The Squad, #1) Every Other Day

“Sloane slipped an arm around my waist. "There are fourteen varieties of hugs," she said. "This is one of them.” 5 likes
“You feel stupid. Doesn't mean you are.” 1 likes