Start by marking “The Naturals (The Naturals, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Naturals (The Naturals, #1)

The Naturals (The Naturals #1)

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  13,416 Ratings  ·  2,077 Reviews
Seventeen-year-old Cassie is a natural at reading people. Piecing together the tiniest details, she can tell you who you are and what you want. But it’s not a skill that she’s ever taken seriously. That is, until the FBI come knocking: they’ve begun a classified program that uses exceptional teenagers to crack infamous cold cases, and they need Cassie.

What Cassie doesn’t r
Published November 5th 2013 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Naturals, please sign up.

Dreamingintherain I absolutely loved The Naturals, but couldn't stand Nobody, I almost didn't even finish it. I'm not sure what happened with that book, it's almost…moreI absolutely loved The Naturals, but couldn't stand Nobody, I almost didn't even finish it. I'm not sure what happened with that book, it's almost like a completely different person wrote it, since I've really enjoyed her other books. The Naturals is much more reader friendly, makes more sense, and is a super quick read. I was hooked on it and read it in 2-3 days. You should definitely give The Naturals a try!(less)
Kyleigh I wasn't sure when I started reading if it was going to be, since the first case had such a personal connection to Cassie and I wasn't sure Barnes…moreI wasn't sure when I started reading if it was going to be, since the first case had such a personal connection to Cassie and I wasn't sure Barnes would be able to follow that up with something that would wow me yet again. But I have to admit that she did. While the first book had the big reveal at the end, this one kind of revealed stuff along the way (sorry, I'm trying not to give stuff away). So naturally (haha) the second book didn't have the same effect, but the tension was REAL. Loved them both(less)
The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn BarnesLiars, Inc. by Paula StokesThe Diviners by Libba BrayPretty Little Liars by Sara ShepardThe Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
Young Adult Crime/Murder Mysteries
1st out of 196 books — 237 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Elite by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2013
230th out of 1,520 books — 10,843 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (the Grinch)

This book is Criminal Minds fanfiction, for the under-15 crowd. It takes a great deal of suspension of disbelief to read this book; and I'm not talking about the preposterousness of the idea that children---teenagers, can be FBI criminal investigators. The necessary suspension of disbelief from the reader's part is required in order to swallow the fact that a bunch of utterly incompetent, petty teenagers are capable of looking beyond their egotistical, self-centered noses.

There's this show I lov
April
*4.5 STARS*
WOW. What a way to start off my reading year! This literally is a YA version of Criminal Minds with a tiny paranormal twist. The FBI has found and recruited some teenagers who are 'naturals' at certain abilities that the FBI want to trial in a new program that could help to solve some cold cases. The main character Cassie is a natural profiler and ever since she stumbled across the scene of her mother's murder (although her body was never found), she's felt like something in her life
Lola  Reviewer
Who says teenagers can’t be FBI agents?

Definitely not Cassandra Hobbes, a profiler recruited by the FBI to be part of their program.

She analyzes people. She can find the slightest details about someone and use them to solve puzzles. However, the training part of the program isn’t enough for her. She wants to help find real murderers and not play repetitive games that agents believe will prepare her to become the perfect profiler.

Suddenly, an opportunity strikes.

The main problem with this story i
Faye, la Patata

Man, this was such a huge letdown.

I was really looking forward to this book because I thought I'd finally get to read something like Criminal Minds or Lie To Me or, heck, even CSI. I loved those shows; I gobbled them all up when I first learned about their existence. The Naturals promised me that, but unfortunately, it was a disappointment all around.

These are what The Naturals consists of:

* 50% drama from an unnecessary love triangle;
* 20% of Cassie overthinking things, apart from being dull a
Veronica Morfi
Dec 23, 2014 Veronica Morfi rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5/5

The Naturals is a great book for fans of Criminal Minds, CSI and shows like them. I am a fan of all those kind of shows and when I read the blurb of this book I was dying to get my hands on it. And I am really glad I did. This had mystery, murder, serieal killers, kids with powers (not exactly supernatural powers bu still...), romance, fighting. It was just perfect. Exactly what I was looking for.

The Naturals are a group of teenagers that are trained by the FBI to solve mostly cold
Giselle
Oct 20, 2013 Giselle rated it liked it
The Naturals is a hit or miss for me and very hard to review. Some parts of the book I really enjoyed, while others I found lacking. To give you an example - I'm not even sure if this book is part paranormal or not. As a serial killer mystery, however, it has its fair share of appealing qualities.

This novel starts by introducing us to our protagonist, Cassie, who's always been good at reading people with only the tiniest of details. She quickly meets with an FBI team who takes her on to train a
Julia
Dec 12, 2013 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
It was a freaking mega fantastic book. I simply couldn't stop reading it. It was mind-blowing and thrilling at the same time.
I haven't been on such emotional roller coaster for a long time. I loved one characters, I hated another but after some pages everything became vice versa.
It was especially interesting to read the profiler's job - all their I-You-UNSUB thing. It gives you a lot to think and a lot to analize (and believe me I've seen all the episodes of CSI LOL).
Sometimes you just forget th
Cait Grace
Muuuuuurder. That's all that needs be said, peoples. Go read this book because there's serial killers and murders and bone-chilling plot twists. I love reading these kind of books, but am I ever frightened? Um, nope. I always feel like it's definitely a book and not reality. BUT THIS WAS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! I was soooo sucked in, I actually felt my stomach churning. It's so incredibly well written it just blows my mind.

description

The only reason it's not getting 5-stars is I felt a bit detached. A few ti
Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
WOAH. This was AMAZING! I really didn't expect to love it this much, but you can't argue with Xavier's Institute vibes and serial killer mysteries! It had my favourite gender balance of characters, three girls and two boys, was blurbed by Ally Carter and was all about teens training to be part of the FBI...literally all the best things combined into one book.

Sidenote: Although there may be a love triangle, it's VERY RESPECTFUL of everyone's feelings. I'll give an example: (to set the scene, thi
Miriam
Dec 10, 2015 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, mystery
This book is a built-in negation of its own premise.

Cassandra and her fellow teens are supposed to be "naturals" at reading people and deducing clue to their behavior (eg. knowing what motivates serial killers, telling when people are lying, etc) but this only ever happens in controlled testing situations. Throughout the book they are ridiculously oblivious and naive.

The book seemed even weaker after I noticed that the author has a graduate degree in psychology -- I had been guessing that it w
Wanderlust
I loved the book, the reasons it is not a 5 star are as followed;
* It was too YA to really hook me all the way.
* The ending was slightly predictable, I didn't guess it exactly, but almost.
* The "natural thing" kinda bugged me as I thought, honestly if some people could do this, then they all would of been rounded up years ago and working for the fbi/cia/etc already, it wouldn't of been a new thing.
* A love triangle.. jeez... how many times can this be done.. seriously.

Apart from those issues m
Praiz Sophyronja
Duuuuude. This was surprisingly dark considering it's genre. I was not expecting this to be as good as it is. I even lost a little sleep so, kudos Ms. Barnes, kudos. This was supposed to be a filler book that was kinda just there and I don't know how to NOT read... But damn. I'm mentally shooting myself for not having picked it up sooner! I adore finding little treasures like this hiding in the unpredictable abyss of literature that is YA. Will definitely explore more of this series in the futur ...more
Vilda
This book was such a pleasant surprise! Having issues finding a book I was in the mood for, I suddenly came across this gem already in my shelves and it sounded fantastic. I love profiler stories, and mix in teenagers with natural abilities to read people and situations? Yes, please.

I loved the characters; they were all so interesting getting to know and trying to figure out. While I enjoyed the crime solving aspect as well, I think the group of youths were my favorite part. I wish we'd gotten
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

I have no idea why it took me so long to read The Naturals. But I’m so glad I finally did, because I really enjoyed the FBI angle.

The Naturals is about a group of teens who help the FBI solve crimes with their ‘abilities’. This is genius, I mean FBI and YA, why hasn’t this been done before (or why hasn’t anyone told me about it)?

It’s these abilities that I found really fascinating. Cassie is a profiler, who can deduce who an
AH
The Naturals has a really neat premise. Imagine Criminal Minds for young adults. The Naturals are a crack team of teenagers with special abilities who are being trained by the FBI to solve cold cases. Each of these teens has some kind of talent in reading crime scenes: the ability to profile, analyse, or use the powers of deception.

The story revolves around this group trying to solve the case of a serial killer. The reader gets a glimpse inside the killer's demented mind and it is rather creepy
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
May 24, 2016 Bee (Heart Full of Books) rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
For fans of Ally Carter, for sure! I really loved this book; it was fast-paced and the cliff-hangers were excruciating. I TORE through this book, wanting to know how it was all going to end, and I was not disappointed! I think the only cringey bit (that meant I couldn't give it 5 stars) was the necessary love triangle.
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
It’s been so long since I’ve read a YA book that I finished in one sitting down. The Naturals is mind-blowing and thrilling. Mini review to come.
Glory
Apr 09, 2016 Glory rated it liked it
Не могла пройти мимо сочетания своих любимых элементов: YA, маньячный триллер, расследования и сверхспособности.
И в целом очень довольна прочитанным.

Главный плюс: то, как показаны те самые способности. Не что-то волшебное и таинственное, а именно естественные таланты людей, просто донельзя развитые. Героиня не читает мысли, лишь анализирует все мелкие детали и составляет портрет. Да, чего-то она объяснить не может и "просто знает", но это ближе к интуиции, или скорее мозг уже обработал увиденн
Dark Faerie Tales
Mar 10, 2015 Dark Faerie Tales rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Amazing young adult mystery that was full of wonderful characters, sweet romance, and a very intriguing plot! This is one of the best mysteries I have read in a really long time and I would highly recommend it!

Opening Sentence: You’ve chosen and chosen well.

The Review:

Cassie has always been good at reading people. It was a trait Cassie’s mother taught her at a very young age so Cassie could help her mother with her physic business. But 5 ye
Jamie
Apr 03, 2016 Jamie rated it really liked it
If you like the shows like Criminal Minds, Homeland, CSI or Coldcase and want to mix it up with some teen drama, you will probably enjoy this book. Cassie is very good at reading people. She can tell you a bit about ones tastes, lifestyle, etc just by looking at you. When given the chance to prove herself working with the FBI, she jumps at the chance. But for her, it is also to try to catch her mother's killer.

She is teamed up in a safe house wit a couple guardians and other teens with special
Michael
Cassie's mother taught her a lot of things -- including how to read people. But Cassie's ability is far more than just figuring out clues about a person in order to give them a psychic reading. She has a natural ability as a profiler -- something the FBI is aware of and wants to take advantage of.

Recruited to a team of fellow teens with natural abilities (Dean can profile, Lea can read if you're lying, Sloane is gifted in reciting facts and figures and Michael can really, really read people), Ca
Iris
Jun 03, 2015 Iris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
“No expectations, no disappointments.”

I really enjoyed this book. I didn't think much of it, but once I read the first chapter I was hooked.

The blurb compares this book to the TV show Criminal Minds (which is my FAVORITE tv show), so I was very excited to read it. But while I was reading, I found it more similar to Scorpion (also a good Tv show).

The characters were OK, not well developed. They were a pretty standard group of teenagers (the "bitchy-girl", the "nerd", the "broody", the "smartass
Sandy
Apr 13, 2016 Sandy rated it really liked it
3.75

Reading this book makes me miss watching Criminal Minds. I really enjoy watching that show. I haven't seen any of the episodes of the current season but I'm caught up with the episodes on Netflix.

The premise of this book was definitely super interesting to read about. I really enjoyed Cassie as a main character and being in her head when she's profiling people. I loved the fast pacing and the suspense that it had.

Something that really surprised me was that serial killers are referred to as "
Kyla Harris
Jan 27, 2016 Kyla Harris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, favorites
I really, really, REALLY liked this book.
I started it and instantly fell in love all the way down to the last page. I'm surprised not that many people have read it! The Naturals definitely needs more attenteds then it's getting! Hopefully when the third book come out that'll happen. (Or at least it better!) ;)

This book reminds me of the Gallagher Girls series, which is one of my favorite series by the way, so getting to read a story that's similar was real awesome!

Ships:
Dean is who I'm rooting
Mimi Valentine
WOW! This was really, REALLY good -- a million times better than I expected, and a million times more original than ninety percent of YA books that come out nowadays. The whole mystery aspect? The cool Natural abilities? I'm literally reeling from how cool it was!

(The romance was admittedly not the most original -- so sue me, because I still absolutely LOVED it! I have to admit that I'm partial to troubled boys with troubled pasts like Dean, but I still loved Michael and his sweet, evasive, quir
Brittany
Samantha got me this for Christmas, and I can honestly say that if she hadn't I probably would have never picked it up. Which sucks, but thanks Sam. This is totally a YA version of Criminal Minds; which I love. There was a super cool paranormal like element to the story that made it fun. I am totally into getting into the psyche of a killer. It's interesting. And The Naturals does a good job exploring the complexities that drive someone to murder. The love triangle was a little off putting only ...more
Michael
Oct 31, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
4.5

Really close to a 5 star! A quick, pretty intense read with a mystery that's no easy solve. Could have definitely been a standalone but I think I'm gonna check out the sequel to see where this story goes.
C (Knightingale Reviews)
"This is a game. I hear Dean's voice echoing through my memory. It's always a game. That was what he'd told Michael, and at the time, I'd agreed. To the killer, this was a game-and suddenly, I couldn't help thinking that the good guys might not win this one.
We might lose.
I might lose."

This book was AMAZING! Jennifer Lynn Barnes has been one of the greatest authors that I have come across and she always weaves a tale of intrigue and complexity . "The Naturals" was no exception. The book was full
Noella
Feb 28, 2014 Noella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy smokes! There was a lot to like about this book. Cassie is a Natural, she has the ability to read people, paint a picture of them, profile them. She's contacted by the FBI and discovers there's a program for kids like her who are Naturals. We're introduced to Michael the emotion reader, Sloane the information bank, Lia the human lie detector and Dean, another profiler.

The best thing about this book was no doubt the mystery and suspense. We are constantly reminded through Cassie's nightmare
NO FREAKING WAY! 7 147 May 17, 2016 05:54PM
TV show???? 1 6 May 17, 2016 05:51PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Naturals (The Naturals #1) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes - Restarting February 11th 2016 114 74 Feb 29, 2016 09:28PM
Around the Year i...: The Naturals, by Jennifer Lynn Barnes 2 19 Jan 13, 2016 08:09PM
  • Olivia Twisted (Olivia Twisted, #1)
  • Palace of Spies (Palace of Spies, #1)
  • This Wicked Game
  • Prep School Confidential (Prep School Confidential, #1)
  • Spirit and Dust (Goodnight Family #2)
  • Another Little Piece of My Heart
  • Boy Nobody (The Unknown Assassin, #1)
  • Going Rogue (Also Known As, #2)
  • Impostor (Variants, #1)
  • Moonset (Legacy of Moonset, #1)
  • Hereafter (Shadowlands, #2)
  • Hostage Three
  • How to Lead a Life of Crime
  • Game (Jasper Dent, #2)
  • Don't Turn Around (PERSEF0NE, #1)
  • The Rules for Disappearing (The Rules for Disappearing, #1)
  • Every Breath (Every, #1)
  • Man Made Boy (Man Made Boy #1)
Jennifer Lynn Barnes (who mostly goes by Jen) was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma. She has been, in turn, a competitive cheerleader, a volleyball player, a dancer, a debutante, a primate cognition researcher, a teen model, a comic book geek, and a lemur aficionado. She's been writing for as long as she can remember, finished her first full book (which she now refers to as a "practice book" and which none ...more
More about Jennifer Lynn Barnes...

The Naturals (4 books)
  • Killer Instinct (The Naturals, #2)
  • All In (The Naturals, #3)
  • Bad Blood  (The Naturals, #4)

“Sloane slipped an arm around my waist. "There are fourteen varieties of hugs," she said. "This is one of them.” 36 likes
“You feel stupid. Doesn't mean you are.” 28 likes