Start by marking “Darcy's Decision (Given Good Principles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Darcy's Decision (Given Good Principles, #1)

Darcy's Decision (Given Good Principles #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Six months after his father's passing, Fitzwilliam Darcy still finds solace in his morning reflections at his parents' graves. Only in the quiet solitude of the churchyard does he indulge his grief. None but his unlikely mentor recognize the heartache and insecurity plaguing him as he shoulders the enormous burden of being Master of Pemberley.

Not all are pleased with his c
Published January 24th 2012 by Good Principles Publishing (first published January 9th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Darcy's Decision, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darcy's Decision

Erlynn (BooksHugBack)
Maria Grace's Darcy's Decision: Given Good Principles is the first in a Pride and Prejudice trilogy. The first volume begins with a look at Darcy coping with the death of his parents, most recently his father and the relationship between him and a Mr. Bradley the new vicar. He guides Darcy in his grief and the process of stepping into the position as Master of Pemberley.

We get to see Mr. Darcy in a different light as he must deal with both the terrible Wickham in rare form and his sister Georgia
Sophia
I chose the read this book because it is a prequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice story. There are many sequels and 'what if' Austenesque stories, but fewer that tell the story that came before.

The story follows the life of Darcy just after his father's death and leads up to the point of his arrival at Netherfield. It opens with Darcy's grief over his father's recent death and his mother's as well. He feels lost and inadequate to fill his father's shoes, but an old family friend comes alo
Sandi Layne
Rating 3.75, rounding up to 4.

Ack. Lost the review I'd already typed. Sigh. Then let me just say that this is an intriguing What if? in the land of Pride and Prejudice. Darcy was given good principles, he says in canon, but not taught how to live them out properly. This story gives him guidance in the form of a family friend/clergyman whom his late father trusted implicitly.

This, along with a few other factors, changes things in the course of the story, even so early on.

Lined with sturdy seconda
Jakki
I love being proved wrong in my appraisal of a book. There are times when I am not sure if I will enjoy a particular book, yet I read it anyway, mainly out of curiosity. Sometimes the book disappoints and affirms my initial misgivings; however, there are also times when a book takes me by surprise and I find it rather enjoyable. Maria Grace has managed to demolish my skepticism with Darcy’s Decision.

Given Good Principles is not simply another Pride and Prejudice retelling from Darcy’s point-of-
Jeffrey
For 200 years, I suspect many enthralled readers of Pride and Prejudice have silently pondered the question “What would Darcy do?” Author Maria Grace endeavors to put her own spin on this with her debut prequel novella Darcy’s Decision in her Given Good Principles trilogy. Spanning a brief but significant moment in time, the main gist of the story deals with Darcy’s rival Mr. Wickham, his demands for a living and his alleged compromising of Georgiana and how young Mr. Darcy finally deals with it ...more
writer...
Maria Grace's debut novella , Darcy's Decision,
{referring to Mr Darcy of Jane Austen fame},
is 1st in the Given Good Principles Series.

Along with offering a deeper and more intimate character investigation, Maria provides
some fascinating insights gained into our Mr Darcy's responsibilities
and occupations, as Master of Pemberley, that would have been understood by society of Ms Austen's day.

I appreciated the wisdom of counsel Darcy pursued from his cleric and the implications on his own decisio
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Novella? Prequel? Variation Series? What designation would I use to describe the first installment in debut author Maria Grace's Give Good Principles series you ask? I'd use all three! Volume One, Darcy's Decision, takes place pre-Pride and Prejudice, is just over a hundred pages, and the plot is already traveling on a different course than the original. The story opens with a grieving Darcy who is trying to cope with the loss of his wise and honorable father while taking his first steps towards ...more
Emily
This was a fun little spin on a prequel to Pride and Prejudice. It was an easy, quick read and a unique twist on Mr. Darcy and his friends and family.
I don't really like when authors change good established stories, so I already knew that I wouldn't likely be reading further in this series. This book was clearly setting up changes that will be made further on. However, it was a pretty good story if you can disconnect it somewhat from the real P&P.
One of the most blatant changes is the fact t
Ceri
There are a lot of different styles of Austenesque novel out there and I wasn't sure at first what this short novel was, whether it was a prequel or a prequel what-if, and if so whether characters and occurrences would be the same as canon or differ. I would say that it's a look at how things could have been prior to Darcy first coming to Hertfordshire if he'd started his character development sooner. He says in Pride and Prejudice that he was given good principles but allowed to follow them in ...more
Sue
This is absolutely one of the best variations I've ever read (or prequel or whatever we want to call it). It is very concise and yet very witty. It was a very believable story which is what I liked the best. Mr. Darcy has a very interesting relationship with the curate as his father did. I loved the allusions to lines in our usual P&P and the scriptural (Biblical) quotations were everywhere tho' to the average eye it was just another line and not overblown or overdone. I loved that Georgiana ...more
Candy
What if Darcy ponders his self worth before he meets Elizabeth? What if he discovers a secret about his father? Ooh, yeah! In this story Maria Grace takes us down a different path in her first book of her Given Good Principles trilogy.

I really enjoyed Darcy's relationship with his curator Mr. Bradley. I found it delightful when Darcy would go to Mr. Bradley for council. Bradley would answer his questions in a way that would keep Darcy examining himself; helping him grow into a wonderful man.

When
Elizabeth West
This is a very short story, but man it's chock full of great story-telling and action. An excellent look at the chapter of Mr. Darcy's life right before he meets Elizabeth Bennet. No, she's not in this story. The story revolves around Mr. Darcy mourning his father and a reimagining of how he handled Wickham showing up, hand extended, looking for money for the living Mr. Darcy gave to a surrogate father figure, Mr. Bradley (the long time curate/cleric for Pemberley proper it appears).

It doesn't
Lola4
I personally feel if an author is going to use another author's character names and settings in writing a prequel or sequel to that deceased author's work, there is some obligation to remain consistent with the original story. The author of this book clearly does not share that opinion, and it thus differs widely in many details from Pride and Prejudice. This might have been a good book, fleshing out the George Wickham/Georgianna Darcy incident, but why the divergences? I can't imagine--they wer ...more
Leslie
With the release of book 4 of this series I was inspired to re-read the previous 3. Inspired is a less apt description than required as that this series goes so far off canon that the changes will confuse and bewilder.

This book is all about Darcy and friends, not a mention of Bennets. The author delves deeply into Darcy and the influences upon his life. Set approximately 2 years followed the death of Mr. Darcy, Georgiana is 15. Bingley and Caroline are there as are Fitzwilliam and Wickham. New c
Kendal
Maria Grace has written a wonderful prequel in Darcy’s Decision. Her insight into Darcy’s personality and character fits right into Jane Austen’s Darcy. Ms. Grace gave the reader answers to so many questions from Pride and Prejudice (P and P). Is Mr. Darcy really so conceited? Who is George Wickham? What happened to Georgina? All these of these questions were answered with great satisfaction.

As I was reading, I truly believed this is Mr. Darcy. I’ve read several Austenesque novels where the char
Megan
Darcy's Decision is a fun story with a twist to the classic tale. The story takes place almost entirely at Pemberley and I loved how because of this I got to see Darcy in such a different light than he is portrayed in the beginning of Pride & Prejudice. He behaves so differently when around people he has known almost his whole life, so kind, friendly and outspoken, that you would barely recognize him. He didn't seem as broody as he did in P&P, which was a nice change.

I loved how the aut
Angie
Have you ever wondered where Fitzwilliam Darcy was 'given good principles?' Maria Grace's first novella in the Given Good Principles series answers just that. Heartbroken after his father's death, Darcy seeks counsel in family friend and vicar, Mr. Bradley, to whom he offers the living at Kympton. But who was supposed to 'get' that living? And why were they promised it in the first place?

What I appreciated most were the characterizations of Georgiana and Caroline in this novel. They ring very tr
Rachel
Nadia
One of the best JAFF written. And I read a lot, trust me :)
I am reading it now for the second time actually. Plot is very good. A lot of interesting original characters. D/E relationship lacks drama, but there are plenty of that in other parts of the story. Darcy & Bennet parents stories are among those parts. I especially like the way author is writing the Bennet story. I like the way girls are becoming more mature and - I am not afraid to say that - more wise. They are blooming into well-b
Katherine
The first in 3 series gives u a perspective into the man is after his father passes away. He must deal with a sister who fancies herself in love with Wickham and who also feels her brother has wronged him. He must also deal with a secret of his fathers and he must deal with Wickham. Well he keep paying off his debts and allow him to be let go? Well he follow the counsel of his new vicar? We also see Bingleys relationship with Darcys relationship grow and see Caroline meeting Darcy for the first ...more
Michele Kallio
Having renewed my acquaintance with Jane Austen by rereading several of her masterworks including Pride and Prejudice in the last year, it was with joyful anticipation I began to read Maria Grace's novella Darcy's Decision. I was not disappointed! Grace's delightful tour de force introduces the reader to Austen's Darcy as he inherits Pemberley. I found myself reading long into the night trying to figure out how Darcey would handle the most delicate matter concerning his young sister, Georgiana. ...more
Pauline
Loved this!

I smiled at the pastor in the book and everyone's favourite Aunt - Aunt Gardiner. I've actually highlighted some of their advice which I found was quite sound and I was moved by their struggles with faith - it wasn't glossed over or neatly packaged but fought and wrestled through.

Lots of goodies in this book - I like that Darcy was challenged by his pastor. I liked the struggle between forgiveness and mercy - very impressive and no shortcuts taken. I liked the references to Darcy's pa
Donna
l think anyone that has read P&P should read this book. Ms Grace has done an excellent job in following the story line and brings the needed background to light in the same writing style as P&P. Darcy learns for himself his father's history and mistakes. Searching for answers for himself in the same man that counseled his father. We learn the true history of Wickham and his part in Darcy's past. If I said any more it would ruin your read. I do recommend this book for anyone who has read ...more
Charlene
WOW!!! Really loved this book. This book is a tease because the writer clearly has more in the wings. The book starts out way before P&P and it does take a different path. Georgiana doesn't get seduced at Ramsgate, though something does happen with Wickham that changes things. We see Darcy in his true nature and I love Him even more. All JAFF fans this is a must read story. Well done Maria, leaving us wanting soooo much more.. Thanks :))
Irene
Even if sometimes it's difficult for me (that I'm Italian) to understand certain words (probably from original Regency English), I really appreciated the chance to look into Darcy and Whickham's stories before Pride and Prajudice. I'm always keen to spend some more time with my favourite characters and this novel, the first in a series, is a very good way to do it.
Can't wait to read the second volume!
Literary  Chanteuse
A very entertaining prequel to Pride & Prejudice. I have often wondered about the history of Darcy, Wickham and Georgiana and this story gives a wonderful and imaginative story of what could have been. The author keeps the essence of each character and the events of their story while creating an intriguing tale that had my attention straight from the beginning. Can't wait for the next book!
Pamela
Begins in a Pre-"Pride and Prejudice" setting, Mr Darcy if faced with the responsibilities placed upon him at the death of his father: overseer of Pemberley, guardianship of Georgiana, protector of his estate and family against Mr. Wickham, mentor to Mr. Bingley and a most eligible/desirable bachelor. The new vicar, John Bradley, serves as Mr. Darcy's ethical and spiritual guide.
Victoria
It was very interesting to read what it would be like if Darcy had to face his pride before meeting Elizabeth. It took a few pages for me to get into the swing of the story, with it's moral aspect superseding any romantic or dramatic plot devices, but it was ultimately captivating. I'm looking forward to continuing the story with the sequel!
Miriam Reeves
I enjoyed this book. It was a very quick read but a fun fan fiction of Darcy's life before meeting Elizabeth. It ends with them thinking about going to look at Netherfield. Then you want to run and read book 2. The series isn't complete yet so only start reading if you are willing to sit on a cliff hanger for a while.
Amanda
This was a really good short read. If you're having a bad week and want a little escape into P&P Regency, this would be a great book for you. It is well written and flows well. The plot explains the Geogiana/Wickham scandal and sets the backdrop for P&P. I really enjoyed it, but it wasn't long enough for me. :)
Jane Austen Sequels: Darcy’s Decision: Given Good Principles Volume 1, by Maria Grace 3 10 Feb 10, 2014 12:21PM
Book Giveaways: Two Book Giveaways 1 9 Apr 15, 2012 08:06PM
Free Books, .99 &...: Two Book Giveaways 1 14 Apr 15, 2012 08:03PM
  • Falling for Mr. Darcy
  • Mr. Darcy’s Noble Connections
  • Pirates and Prejudice
  • One Thread Pulled: The Dance with Mr. Darcy
  • Loving Miss Darcy (Brides of Pemberley, #2)
  • A Walk in the Meadows at Rosings Park
  • The Three Colonels: Jane Austen's Fighting Men
  • He Taught Me to Hope (Darcy and the Young Knight's Quest #1)
  • Chance Encounters
  • Mr. Darcy's Proposal
  • Darcy's Dilemma (A Fair Prospect, #2)
  • The Journey
  • The Unexpected Miss Bennet
Though Maria Grace has been writing fiction since she was ten years old, those early efforts happily reside in a file drawer and are unlikely to see the light of day again, for which many are grateful.

She has one husband, two graduate degrees and two black belts, three sons, four undergraduate majors, five nieces, six cats, seven Regency-era fiction projects and notes for eight more writing projec
More about Maria Grace...
The Future Mrs. Darcy (Given Good Principles, #2) All the Appearance of Goodness (Given Good Principles #3) Remember the Past: ...only as it gives you pleasure Twelfth Night at Longbourn (Given Good Principles #4) Given Good Principles, Boxed Set