Start by marking “Darcy's Decision (Given Good Principles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Darcy's Decision (Given Good Principles, #1)

Darcy's Decision (Given Good Principles #1)

Six months after his father's passing, Fitzwilliam Darcy still finds solace in his morning reflections at his parents' graves. Only in the quiet solitude of the churchyard does he indulge his grief. None but his unlikely mentor recognize the heartache and insecurity plaguing him as he shoulders the enormous burden of being Master of Pemberley.

Not all are pleased with his c
Published January 24th 2012 by Good Principles Publishing (first published January 9th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Darcy's Decision, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darcy's Decision

Sophia
I chose the read this book because it is a prequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice story. There are many sequels and 'what if' Austenesque stories, but fewer that tell the story that came before.

The story follows the life of Darcy just after his father's death and leads up to the point of his arrival at Netherfield. It opens with Darcy's grief over his father's recent death and his mother's as well. He feels lost and inadequate to fill his father's shoes, but an old family friend comes alo
Anna
Feb 29, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: austenesque
Darcy’s Decision is Volume 1 of Maria Grace’s Given Good Principles series of Pride and Prejudice variations. The first book in the series is a prequel to Pride and Prejudice that focuses on Fitzwilliam Darcy. Elizabeth Bennet is nowhere to be found in this book, but she will certainly make an appearance soon, as this novel follows Darcy until just before he and his friend, Charles Bingley, travel to Hertfordshire — where the Bennets live — to check out an estate Bingley wants to lease there.

Gra
Erlynn (BooksHugBack)
Maria Grace's Darcy's Decision: Given Good Principles is the first in a Pride and Prejudice trilogy. The first volume begins with a look at Darcy coping with the death of his parents, most recently his father and the relationship between him and a Mr. Bradley the new vicar. He guides Darcy in his grief and the process of stepping into the position as Master of Pemberley.

We get to see Mr. Darcy in a different light as he must deal with both the terrible Wickham in rare form and his sister Georgia
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Novella? Prequel? Variation Series? What designation would I use to describe the first installment in debut author Maria Grace's Give Good Principles series you ask? I'd use all three! Volume One, Darcy's Decision, takes place pre-Pride and Prejudice, is just over a hundred pages, and the plot is already traveling on a different course than the original. The story opens with a grieving Darcy who is trying to cope with the loss of his wise and honorable father while taking his first steps towards ...more
Talia
Mar 07, 2015 Talia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

Second read through: Still loved it. I think I liked it even better this time. Love the Wickham angle and Darcy's neighbors.
J. W. Garrett
Jun 12, 2016 J. W. Garrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Purchased as a box set: Given Good Principles Vol. 1: Darcy’s Decisions: 5 stars
Will review individually.

Noblesse oblige

This was a most unusual story. I was completely captivated by the inner turmoil, the self-examination or introspection that Darcy went through as he came to grips with his father’s death. The tremendous weight of responsibility of Pemberley and its people set heavy on his young shoulders.

Our story opens with Darcy receiving counsel from John Bradley their curate. He had been fr
Jakki
Mar 15, 2012 Jakki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love being proved wrong in my appraisal of a book. There are times when I am not sure if I will enjoy a particular book, yet I read it anyway, mainly out of curiosity. Sometimes the book disappoints and affirms my initial misgivings; however, there are also times when a book takes me by surprise and I find it rather enjoyable. Maria Grace has managed to demolish my skepticism with Darcy’s Decision.

Given Good Principles is not simply another Pride and Prejudice retelling from Darcy’s point-of-
Ceri
Apr 16, 2013 Ceri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are a lot of different styles of Austenesque novel out there and I wasn't sure at first what this short novel was, whether it was a prequel or a prequel what-if, and if so whether characters and occurrences would be the same as canon or differ. I would say that it's a look at how things could have been prior to Darcy first coming to Hertfordshire if he'd started his character development sooner. He says in Pride and Prejudice that he was given good principles but allowed to follow them in ...more
Sandi Layne
Apr 27, 2013 Sandi Layne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating 3.75, rounding up to 4.

Ack. Lost the review I'd already typed. Sigh. Then let me just say that this is an intriguing What if? in the land of Pride and Prejudice. Darcy was given good principles, he says in canon, but not taught how to live them out properly. This story gives him guidance in the form of a family friend/clergyman whom his late father trusted implicitly.

This, along with a few other factors, changes things in the course of the story, even so early on.

Lined with sturdy seconda
Madenna U
A very different variation as the whole series seems to have to be put together for the complete story. This piece is an alteration of Ramsgate and Wickham and how it influences Darcy before he ever travels to Netherfield. This book has a strong religious aspect to it that is not my favorite. However, it did not overpower the story.
Jeffrey
Jan 12, 2013 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For 200 years, I suspect many enthralled readers of Pride and Prejudice have silently pondered the question “What would Darcy do?” Author Maria Grace endeavors to put her own spin on this with her debut prequel novella Darcy’s Decision in her Given Good Principles trilogy. Spanning a brief but significant moment in time, the main gist of the story deals with Darcy’s rival Mr. Wickham, his demands for a living and his alleged compromising of Georgiana and how young Mr. Darcy finally deals with it ...more
Emily
May 28, 2013 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was a fun little spin on a prequel to Pride and Prejudice. It was an easy, quick read and a unique twist on Mr. Darcy and his friends and family.
I don't really like when authors change good established stories, so I already knew that I wouldn't likely be reading further in this series. This book was clearly setting up changes that will be made further on. However, it was a pretty good story if you can disconnect it somewhat from the real P&P.
One of the most blatant changes is the fact t
Sheila Majczan
I own many paperback and kindle stories, most having to do with P&P in either "What-if" form or as sequels. There are maybe half a dozen having to do with other of JA's stories and several modern versions of her stories. Having read the third of this series by mistake first I then read the other two before posting this review. I found too many footnotes, as did other reviewers, and in being new to Kindle couldn't not find where the meanings are listed. I did like the addition of the spiritua ...more
writer...
Maria Grace's debut novella , Darcy's Decision,
{referring to Mr Darcy of Jane Austen fame},
is 1st in the Given Good Principles Series.

Along with offering a deeper and more intimate character investigation, Maria provides
some fascinating insights gained into our Mr Darcy's responsibilities
and occupations, as Master of Pemberley, that would have been understood by society of Ms Austen's day.

I appreciated the wisdom of counsel Darcy pursued from his cleric and the implications on his own decisio
Charlene
Feb 08, 2012 Charlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW!!! Really loved this book. This book is a tease because the writer clearly has more in the wings. The book starts out way before P&P and it does take a different path. Georgiana doesn't get seduced at Ramsgate, though something does happen with Wickham that changes things. We see Darcy in his true nature and I love Him even more. All JAFF fans this is a must read story. Well done Maria, leaving us wanting soooo much more.. Thanks :))
Victoria
Jan 27, 2013 Victoria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: austen, reviewed
It was very interesting to read what it would be like if Darcy had to face his pride before meeting Elizabeth. It took a few pages for me to get into the swing of the story, with it's moral aspect superseding any romantic or dramatic plot devices, but it was ultimately captivating. I'm looking forward to continuing the story with the sequel!
Erika
Oct 11, 2013 Erika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jane-austen
I loved this book, while reading it, I remembered that I had read a part of it while on one of the JAFF websites, but never finished it. I have read this and the following 2 books all in one day since I couldn't put them down!!! A must read for any JAFF fanatic!!!
Carol Perrin
Apr 01, 2015 Carol Perrin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darcy's Decision (Given Good Principles)

This is Book 1 in a four book series by Maria Grace. Read all four yesterday into today. I didn't want to lose the flow of the story. All four books where a continuation of the author's story. Book 1 begins with Darcy's sadness standing before his parents' graves. He is with Mr. Bradley, Pemberley's curate. His father confided with Bradley, not Fitzwilliam is also using him, too. Fitzwilliam Darcy is afraid he's not good or prepared enough to see to the ru
Rachel
Pat Winter
Mar 08, 2016 Pat Winter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

on March 15 2014

Format: Paperback Verified Purchase
Although the book was more like a novella it contained an abundance of information about Darcy's life before his father's death.
George and Ann Darcy's story was crucial in writing the telling of the tale.
People not in Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice are created to develop a story of Darcy's growth and conflicts after his father's death.
The character of his mentor was incredibly well developed .
Sweet Georgiana has been represented as a typi
Kendal
Maria Grace has written a wonderful prequel in Darcy’s Decision. Her insight into Darcy’s personality and character fits right into Jane Austen’s Darcy. Ms. Grace gave the reader answers to so many questions from Pride and Prejudice (P and P). Is Mr. Darcy really so conceited? Who is George Wickham? What happened to Georgina? All these of these questions were answered with great satisfaction.

As I was reading, I truly believed this is Mr. Darcy. I’ve read several Austenesque novels where the char
Elizabeth West
May 13, 2012 Elizabeth West rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very short story, but man it's chock full of great story-telling and action. An excellent look at the chapter of Mr. Darcy's life right before he meets Elizabeth Bennet. No, she's not in this story. The story revolves around Mr. Darcy mourning his father and a reimagining of how he handled Wickham showing up, hand extended, looking for money for the living Mr. Darcy gave to a surrogate father figure, Mr. Bradley (the long time curate/cleric for Pemberley proper it appears).

It doesn't
Angie
Dec 01, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever wondered where Fitzwilliam Darcy was 'given good principles?' Maria Grace's first novella in the Given Good Principles series answers just that. Heartbroken after his father's death, Darcy seeks counsel in family friend and vicar, Mr. Bradley, to whom he offers the living at Kympton. But who was supposed to 'get' that living? And why were they promised it in the first place?

What I appreciated most were the characterizations of Georgiana and Caroline in this novel. They ring very tr
Leslie
Mar 26, 2013 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: austenesque
With the release of book 4 of this series I was inspired to re-read the previous 3. Inspired is a less apt description than required as that this series goes so far off canon that the changes will confuse and bewilder.

This book is all about Darcy and friends, not a mention of Bennets. The author delves deeply into Darcy and the influences upon his life. Set approximately 2 years followed the death of Mr. Darcy, Georgiana is 15. Bingley and Caroline are there as are Fitzwilliam and Wickham. New c
Candy
May 02, 2012 Candy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: austenesque
What if Darcy ponders his self worth before he meets Elizabeth? What if he discovers a secret about his father? Ooh, yeah! In this story Maria Grace takes us down a different path in her first book of her Given Good Principles trilogy.

I really enjoyed Darcy's relationship with his curator Mr. Bradley. I found it delightful when Darcy would go to Mr. Bradley for council. Bradley would answer his questions in a way that would keep Darcy examining himself; helping him grow into a wonderful man.

When
LadyCalico
I personally feel if an author is going to use another author's character names and settings in writing a prequel or sequel to that deceased author's work, there is some obligation to remain consistent with the original story. The author of this book clearly does not share that opinion, and it thus differs widely in many details from Pride and Prejudice. This might have been a good book, fleshing out the George Wickham/Georgianna Darcy incident, but why the divergences? I can't imagine--they wer ...more
Megan
Darcy's Decision is a fun story with a twist to the classic tale. The story takes place almost entirely at Pemberley and I loved how because of this I got to see Darcy in such a different light than he is portrayed in the beginning of Pride & Prejudice. He behaves so differently when around people he has known almost his whole life, so kind, friendly and outspoken, that you would barely recognize him. He didn't seem as broody as he did in P&P, which was a nice change.

I loved how the aut
Sue
Mar 29, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it
This is absolutely one of the best variations I've ever read (or prequel or whatever we want to call it). It is very concise and yet very witty. It was a very believable story which is what I liked the best. Mr. Darcy has a very interesting relationship with the curate as his father did. I loved the allusions to lines in our usual P&P and the scriptural (Biblical) quotations were everywhere tho' to the average eye it was just another line and not overblown or overdone. I loved that Georgiana ...more
Nadia
Mar 21, 2012 Nadia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, jaff
One of the best JAFF written. And I read a lot, trust me :)
I am reading it now for the second time actually. Plot is very good. A lot of interesting original characters. D/E relationship lacks drama, but there are plenty of that in other parts of the story. Darcy & Bennet parents stories are among those parts. I especially like the way author is writing the Bennet story. I like the way girls are becoming more mature and - I am not afraid to say that - more wise. They are blooming into well-b
Katherine
Oct 12, 2012 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first in 3 series gives u a perspective into the man is after his father passes away. He must deal with a sister who fancies herself in love with Wickham and who also feels her brother has wronged him. He must also deal with a secret of his fathers and he must deal with Wickham. Well he keep paying off his debts and allow him to be let go? Well he follow the counsel of his new vicar? We also see Bingleys relationship with Darcys relationship grow and see Caroline meeting Darcy for the first ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Book Giveaways: Two Book Giveaways 1 9 Apr 15, 2012 08:06PM
Free Books, .99 &...: Two Book Giveaways 1 14 Apr 15, 2012 08:03PM
  • Falling for Mr. Darcy
  • Mr. Darcy’s Noble Connections
  • Loving Miss Darcy (Brides of Pemberley, #2)
  • A Most Civil Proposal
  • He Taught Me to Hope (Darcy and the Young Knight's Quest #1)
  • Mr. Darcy's Proposal
  • Darcy's Dilemma (A Fair Prospect, #2)
  • One Thread Pulled: The Dance with Mr. Darcy
  • Pirates and Prejudice
  • Chance Encounters
  • Miss Darcy Falls in Love
  • The Journey
  • The Disappearance of Georgiana Darcy (Pride and Prejudice Murder Mystery #2)
  • Becoming Elizabeth Darcy
  • Mr. Darcy Came to Dinner
  • Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker
Though Maria Grace has been writing fiction since she was ten years old, those early efforts happily reside in a file drawer and are unlikely to see the light of day again, for which many are grateful. After penning five file-drawer novels in high school, she took a break from writing to pursue college and earn her doctorate in Educational Psychology. After 16 years of university teaching, she ret ...more
More about Maria Grace...

Given Good Principles (5 books)
  • The Future Mrs. Darcy (Given Good Principles, #2)
  • All the Appearance of Goodness (Given Good Principles #3)
  • Twelfth Night at Longbourn (Given Good Principles #4)
  • Given Good Principles, Boxed Set