Magic Mansion

Magic Mansion

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  340 ratings  ·  85 reviews
Professor Topaz is tired of fending off advice that he should retire in Vegas where magicians his age have an easier time finding work.

Ricardo Hart's career has sunk so low, he's resorted to shaking his moneymaker at bachelorette parties.

But there's a casting call for a new reality show called Magic Mansion that could change everything for these two gay stage magicians, on...more
Published April 10th 2012 by JCP Books, LLC (first published April 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Magic Mansion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic Mansion

Val Kovalin
This book is a pleasure to read for the following reasons. First, it's long. We're talking days of escapism. With this book, you can draw it out as a reward for doing your day-to-day life while looking forward to reading the next chapter at night before bed.

Second, it doesn't drag anywhere and a LOT happens. So you look down at your Kindle, fearing you might be more than halfway through and realize to your delight that you're only 23% done.

Third, the supporting characters are an absolute deligh...more
Jordan Castillo Price
Apr 12, 2012 Jordan Castillo Price marked it as wrote  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm stunned this massive novel has come to fruition so quickly, but here it is: Magic Mansion, the reality show where the serial readers actually got to vote magicians out of the Mansion!

Not only is the novel action-packed and fun, but the emotional notes hit some surprising depths. I feel like it's the most romantic story I've ever written.
Cole Riann
Alrighty, I'm finally getting around to reviewing this one. I'm not sure why I waited... I know that part of it, for sure, is the fact that I read up into the wee hours finishing this one because I couldn't put it down. Also, I think I needed to sit with this story a while before I let it go by writing the review. So I decided that, no matter, I'm definitely buying the paperback when it is released so that I can continue to enjoy it.

There are so many wonderful aspects of this story that I just c...more
Lady*M

This book is so full of win that I can hardly find the words. Well, I can say that, to the extent of my knowledge, nothing similar was ever written in this genre.

A social commentary, a story about identity and images we project, about magic of living, a love story... rich and detailed... with 15 - 16 major characters... 117,000 words long and never gets boring or drags... this is something only this author can do. Absolutely stunning.

It took me a while to get into a story, considering t...more
Kaje Harper
When I pick up a new JCP book I always get just a little shiver of anticipation, because I know it will have great characters, a real plot, and a satisfying ending. Magic Mansion is no exception. From the opening scene, John captured my heart with his class, his compassion, and his calm stoic approach to life. He is a wonderful character, an older man with resilience and the courage to go after a second chance at love. Ricardo is sweet as the Professor-Topaz-fanboy whose enthusiasm becomes more...more
Chris
4.5 stars. Very good paranormal m/m romance about two magicians who briefly connect during auditions for a reality television show about magicians in which they both end up as participants (along with ten others). Who will take home the glory... and the $250,000 prize? Wonderfully written and with bonus points for a completely unique story concept!
Jason Huffman-black
even with some editing errors, this was perfect.

First I want to say how much I hate TV and reality shows. lol! Yet, this book still pulled me in and made me it's slave. All the characters were amazingly vibrant. I will read everything this woman writes!
ttg
This book is DELICIOUS.

That's what I kept thinking as I read--I would come up for air occasionally, and feel filled with giddy awe. This is a wonderfully addicting, suspenseful, hilarious, and romantic story about a very diverse group of magicians, "picked to live in a mansion and have their lives taped" as they perform in a Top Chef-like reality show to see who will win the big prize and be named the Grandmaster Magician.

Will the winner be one of our two main POVs? Professor Topaz, a regal "o...more
Jess Candela

I loved it and stayed up waaay too late to finish it because I couldn't put it down. Although I enjoyed the romance aspect of it, that was really a secondary or tertiary focus for me. Mostly I was just caught up in the characters and the intrigue around how the whole Magic Mansion thing would play out, and I loved how threads of the supernatural were woven into the everyday world.

I don't watch much TV and have only ever watched a couple of reality shows, but I thought it made for a gre...more
Sandra
A lot of people commented that the style of this book was nice because you could easily drag it out and read it bit by bit... but I guess I'm just not a patient person. I blew through this, as I usually do with JCP's work. If I had to sum it up in one word; "enjoyable." It was just freakin' enjoyable. Sweet and funny and interesting and cute and sweet... did I mention sweet? There was really nothing to hate about Ricardo or John, but not in an obnoxious way, just in a they-are-genuinly-good-peop...more
oceankitty
5+ stars

I'm biased. I freely admit it. Along with Josh Lanyon , Jordan Castillo Price was very much my first “mentor” when it came to reading M/M romance. First I devored everything I could get my hands on of Josh's, then I drooled my way through Jordan's web store http://jcpbooks.com/

Now everything she writes is insta-buy, and nothing of hers can have any flaws. Yes, I'm totally the fan girl. Which means I probably shouldn't write this review, but I'm still gonna do it.

I'm uswually way too impa...more
Reggie
WOW, AMAZING!

What can I say that hasn't been said....The writing was fabulous. The first time I picked up this book I put it back down. I had been reading a lot of character driven books and wasn't quite in the mood for this adventure. The second time I picked it up, I was ready to be entertained. It was a great experience. We are so lucky to have writers like this among us. When you're in the mood to enter a new world and be taken for a ride.... don't miss out...this is an extraordinary experie...more
Tam
Not sure why I didn't have this as read. I read it in serial format when it was in that format and LOVED it. I loved all the background about how a reality show is so "unreal" :-) and I really got caught up in all the characters. That whole freak-out by the ventriloquist will go down in my memory as a truly memorable, if disturbing, scene.
SueM
This novel was born out a short story JCP was going to enter in a contest, yet it ended up being initially published via her newsletter, with a new chapter being published with each newsletter. And while the format of the novel reflects those beginnings, it also rather echoes the episode format of a reality television show, which is what Magic Mansion is all about.

John Topaz, an aging magician who is facing financial difficulty, is struggling to find work. At 63, no one is willing to take him on...more
Goesta
4+ stars

EDIT 29.Mar.13: POSSIBLE SLIGHT SPOILERS as to some of the themes.

Flashes of genius, especially in the on- and backstage rendering of the Big Brother type fare of manipulated reality ( to which I am frequently subjected because of my hubby's fascination therewith,) married to my passion for illusionists, and my secret suspicion (or hope) that some of them do hide their more profound gifts in plain sight, and featuring the first truly hypnotic and sexy gay character (for me) in his sixtie...more
Jessica
Dec 24, 2012 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
The first half was fun, but by the second half I'd grown tired of the reality show gimmick and was starting to pay more attention to what was missing from the story than what was there.

I wanted to know more about John and Ricardo (without the This Was Your Life moment). In addition to wanting to know more about John and Ricardo, the True magic that they both have seems really inconsistent -- who has it, how it works, the side-effects. Even if that was intentional, it was confusing.

Also, I find...more
Lala
3.5 stars.

This was enjoyable in a slow, more-story-than-romance way.. I found some parts dragging, but the magic and reality show stuff were interesting enough. Despite some UF elements - there is little paranormal in this book..I would have liked to learn more about the True Magic thing.
Julia ♥Duncan♥
May 17, 2014 Julia ♥Duncan♥ rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julia ♥Duncan♥ by: Tj
This book is exactly like watching a reality TV show except better because it is in book form! I loved the cast of characters and the ridiculous challenges and the viewer (aka reader) votes. I really liked the camaraderie or lack thereof between the team members and I thought the book perfectly captured the feeling of futility experienced by the contestants. Loved Sue, loved to hate Kevin. Also really liked Bev and Muriel. It was really fun to read about such a diverse group of characters in an...more
Mel
Magic Mansion was initially published in the author's newsletter. The story about magicians entering a reality tv show appeared in each issue. In true reality tv-style, readers could vote for the characters they wanted eliminated. All this led to one of JCP's more elaborate works.
With Magic Mansion being as big a project as it is, I had very high expectations. To my surprise, the book wasn't as engrossing and captivating as JCP's usual stories.

Judging by the raving reviews, I'm the odd one out....more
Francesca
It was a fun read: two magicians, and main characters, decide to enter a talent show and during the challenges they fell in love.
Reading the introduction I knew I would have liked it: I love magicians, and I love how the Price write her characters. But I had some problems reading this story: in the beginning I found the descriptions of the challenges long and a bit boring too and the choice to set everything in a reality show was a bit turnoff for me. Because reality shows are anything but magic...more
Teagan
Nancy L
Im not one for reality TV but Jordan made this story hard to put down. She did a fab job incorporating 12+ personalities into the story without it becoming messy. I got quite a few laughs out of it - thinking it was a cross between Wipe Out and one of the MTv reality shows - hard to resist even when there's characters you don't like and want to vote them off the show! The challenges they face are true to reality TV too lol

(view spoiler)...more
Barb ~rede-2-read~
I just finished this story and all I can say is Wow, just Wow! It was totally different from anything I've read previously.

I'm not a fan of reality TV and magic is only ho-hum to me. But this book? It just exploded. I was not looking forward to reading it, but I thought it might be pretty decent for the BOM challenge so I started it with low expectations.

I was totally swept away with the pace of the story. I had trouble putting it down and since I have so many other things going on in my life...more
April
(Originally posted @ CSI:Librarian.)

This book mostly just makes me want to flail and make incoherant sounds of delight. I loved it for so many reasons though so let me try and articulate a few of them.

The first is that it's just a darn good book with a lot of romance, magic, sweetness, humor, and charm. From opening line to ending sentence, Magic Mansion basically owned my eyes. I literally could not sleep until I finished it, and even then I sort of wanted to forgo sleep in order to read it aga...more
Matthew
This was quite well put together and I would be interested in checking out more of Jordan Castillo Price's work. I thought the magic system was intriguing and well-presented. But I wasn't inspired to much passion at the end of it.

I think part of it may be the format as a serial with voting on the eliminations. But the emotions and sex were well done, but not quite sufficient to make me excited. The magic and world-building were also well done, but also didn't make me eager to find the end. And I...more
Fangtasia
As usual from Ms. Castillo-Price, this is a wonderful example of character and plot development, and a sweet, expected, and totally deserved HEA.

Even though I don't watch TV and, when I do, avoid reality TV like the plague, this story was intersting and engaging from the start. What really pulled me in, just like in all her other books, is the characters. So many, so very distinct without becoming caricatures, perfectly meshing and clashing when and how they needed to in order to grow and move t...more
Nicole
WOOOOOW!

I have watched just enough reality TV (a few seasons of Project Runway (in marathons, of course), one season of So You Think You Can Dance, a few episodes of Top Chef) to know that I don't much enjoy them, but that I can't resist great talent. Also, I hate the format of them. So why did I read this? JCP.

And boy did she not disappoint. Holy cow!

Her mastery of the form is just mind-boggling. And what she was able to do with the reality show format is just…incomprehensible. I can't believe...more
Tamela
It was magic. Abracadabra... I loved it!!! I wish I had started it when it was a posting, but then I wouldn't have been able to stand waiting between each "show" to find out what was going to happen. I loved John and Ricardo and Kevin was just the right type of arrogant a-hole you love to hate.

Great teams and good ending. Highly recommended!!

1st read July 3, 2012
2nd read Sept 27, 2013
Adriana
It was a really interesting book.
The way it was written, as a reality show, keep me from reading it at first, then the age-gap was to much, but I keep reading and I realized that this was about magic, about showbiz, about TV... and yes, a little M/M romance, but the sex was no the main issue here, and I really like it.
J.L. Merrow
There are books you race through, desperate to find out what's going to happen in the end. And then there are books you find yourself reading more and more slowly, because you never want them to end.

This was definitely one of the latter kind. Classic JCP.
Jordan Castillo P...: Magic Mansion 5 20 Jul 13, 2014 03:45PM
Q&A with Josh...: June 2012: Magic Mansion 65 120 Sep 03, 2012 03:33AM
  • Don't Let Go (Tyack & Frayne, #3)
  • Irregulars
  • Just Desserts (Petit Morts, #14)
  • Dance in the Dark (Dance with the Devil, #2)
  • Spirit Sanguine (Sanguine, #1)
  • King Perry (The Lost and Founds, #1)
  • Hell Cop 2
  • The Druid Stone (Layers of the Otherworld, #1)
  • Mongrel (Mongrel, #1)
  • Marlowe's Ghost
  • The Holy Road (Rifter #5)
  • Inheritance (Dominion #1)
  • Beloved Son (Aisling, #3)
Author and artist Jordan Castillo Price is the owner of JCP Books LLC. Her paranormal thrillers are colored by her time in the midwest, from inner city Chicago, to small town Wisconsin, to liberal Madison.

Jordan is best known as the author of the PsyCop series, an unfolding tale of paranormal mystery and suspense starring Victor Bayne, a gay medium who's plagued by ghostly visitations. Also check...more
More about Jordan Castillo Price...
Among the Living (PsyCop, #1) Criss Cross (PsyCop, #2) Camp Hell (PsyCop, #5) Secrets (PsyCop, #4) GhosTV (PsyCop, #6)