Start by marking “Magic Mansion” as Want to Read:
Magic Mansion

Magic Mansion

Professor Topaz is tired of fending off advice that he should retire in Vegas where magicians his age have an easier time finding work.

Ricardo Hart's career has sunk so low, he's resorted to shaking his moneymaker at bachelorette parties.

But there's a casting call for a new reality show called Magic Mansion that could change everything for these two gay stage magicians, on
Published April 10th 2012 by JCP Books, LLC (first published April 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Magic Mansion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic Mansion

Val Kovalin
This book is a pleasure to read for the following reasons. First, it's long. We're talking days of escapism. With this book, you can draw it out as a reward for doing your day-to-day life while looking forward to reading the next chapter at night before bed.

Second, it doesn't drag anywhere and a LOT happens. So you look down at your Kindle, fearing you might be more than halfway through and realize to your delight that you're only 23% done.

Third, the supporting characters are an absolute deligh
Jordan Price
Apr 12, 2012 Jordan Price marked it as wrote  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm stunned this massive novel has come to fruition so quickly, but here it is: Magic Mansion, the reality show where the serial readers actually got to vote magicians out of the Mansion!

Not only is the novel action-packed and fun, but the emotional notes hit some surprising depths. I feel like it's the most romantic story I've ever written.
Jan 29, 2016 Lori rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Oh. Wow. Review soon at bmbr. Just know, I have the HUGEST HUGEST crush on Professor Topaz.

Second read this month. Still love it!

Aaaannnndddd - here's the review, as previously posted at BMBR.

I am having so much trouble writing a review for this book, Not because I didn't like it, as you can see I gave it five hearts and I read it twice within about ten days, but because I want to write an essay on everything I loved about it, which would be impractical and pretty spoilerish! I've highlighted t
Vanessa North
Nov 12, 2014 Vanessa North rated it it was amazing
Shelves: protag-over-40
I just LOVED this. <3
Fenriz Angelo
Oct 14, 2016 Fenriz Angelo rated it it was amazing
Another 5 star to JCP? I know I know but JCP's books are just so good.

Magic Mansion was a very entretaining read i didn't expect to have, considering how busy my days have been lately I'm surprised I devored the book so fast due to my eagerness to know what was going to happen next.

The Reality TV Show setting is amazing, full of diverse characters like any reality show has and the way we see the production of the show is funny, exciting yet heartbreaking at points were Price addresses the probl
Feb 08, 2016 Ellie rated it really liked it
What a lovely and truly magical story that was!

Full review (and I have a giveaway on the blog this week of an ebook copy of Magic mansion -

This was such an expected and pleasant read! I do love magic and though I'm not a fan of reality shows, I'm curious how they can be presented in fiction. I love Ms Price writing - imaginative, great world building and attention to detail and powerful and unforgettable characters, so I decided to give it a try.

Now, rom
Cole Riann
Alrighty, I'm finally getting around to reviewing this one. I'm not sure why I waited... I know that part of it, for sure, is the fact that I read up into the wee hours finishing this one because I couldn't put it down. Also, I think I needed to sit with this story a while before I let it go by writing the review. So I decided that, no matter, I'm definitely buying the paperback when it is released so that I can continue to enjoy it.

There are so many wonderful aspects of this story that I just c
Kaje Harper
Jun 23, 2012 Kaje Harper rated it it was amazing
When I pick up a new JCP book I always get just a little shiver of anticipation, because I know it will have great characters, a real plot, and a satisfying ending. Magic Mansion is no exception. From the opening scene, John captured my heart with his class, his compassion, and his calm stoic approach to life. He is a wonderful character, an older man with resilience and the courage to go after a second chance at love. Ricardo is sweet as the Professor-Topaz-fanboy whose enthusiasm becomes more ...more
Jul 17, 2016 dblue rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m

I am not a fan of reality television programs, but when I read a glowing recommendation for this book by an author I admire, I decided this would be my second JCP book. (I know - I don't know why I haven't read her books before this now. Just seriously glad that I finally did)

Magic Mansion is set within a reality series called Magic Mansion. It begins with us meeting John Topaz or better know as Professor Topaz. He is a wonderful character. A magician in what I imagine as a traditional ma
Dec 02, 2012 Lady*M rated it it was amazing

This book is so full of win that I can hardly find the words. Well, I can say that, to the extent of my knowledge, nothing similar was ever written in this genre.

A social commentary, a story about identity and images we project, about magic of living, a love story... rich and detailed... with 15 - 16 major characters... 117,000 words long and never gets boring or drags... this is something only this author can do. Absolutely stunning.

It took me a while to get into a story, considering t
A lot of people commented that the style of this book was nice because you could easily drag it out and read it bit by bit... but I guess I'm just not a patient person. I blew through this, as I usually do with JCP's work. If I had to sum it up in one word; "enjoyable." It was just freakin' enjoyable. Sweet and funny and interesting and cute and sweet... did I mention sweet? There was really nothing to hate about Ricardo or John, but not in an obnoxious way, just in a they-are-genuinly-good-peop ...more
Apr 13, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. Very good paranormal m/m romance about two magicians who briefly connect during auditions for a reality television show about magicians in which they both end up as participants (along with ten others). Who will take home the glory... and the $250,000 prize? Wonderfully written and with bonus points for a completely unique story concept!
Jason Bradley
Jul 18, 2012 Jason Bradley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, ebook, paranormal, ccr
even with some editing errors, this was perfect.

First I want to say how much I hate TV and reality shows. lol! Yet, this book still pulled me in and made me it's slave. All the characters were amazingly vibrant. I will read everything this woman writes!
Oct 14, 2016 Dreamer rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, magic, humour, m-m
4.5 stars. An amusing m/m romance involving the cast and crew of a reality tv show. A dozen magicians are brought together in order to compete in various challenges to win the big prize. The main characters are 35 year old Ricardo the Magnificent and 62 year old Professor Topaz who share a phenomenon called 'True magic' as well as an overwhelming attraction to each other.
Christy Duke
Sep 16, 2015 Christy Duke rated it it was amazing
I vividly remember, many years ago, a date surprised me with tickets to see David Copperfield. My reaction? "You're taking me to see a magic show?" with about as much enthusiasm as if he'd said we were going on a five-mile hike. I was young and stupid. Sue me. However, no more than twenty minutes in, and I was hooked. Granted, Mr. Copperfield is the crème de la crème of illusionist venues, but I remember being fascinated at how it was done, and absolutely certain that it was real.

"John had disc
Apr 22, 2012 ttg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, favorites, reviews
This book is DELICIOUS.

That's what I kept thinking as I read--I would come up for air occasionally, and feel filled with giddy awe. This is a wonderfully addicting, suspenseful, hilarious, and romantic story about a very diverse group of magicians, "picked to live in a mansion and have their lives taped" as they perform in a Top Chef-like reality show to see who will win the big prize and be named the Grandmaster Magician.

Will the winner be one of our two main POVs? Professor Topaz, a regal "o
Jess Candela
Mar 12, 2013 Jess Candela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, read-in-2013

I loved it and stayed up waaay too late to finish it because I couldn't put it down. Although I enjoyed the romance aspect of it, that was really a secondary or tertiary focus for me. Mostly I was just caught up in the characters and the intrigue around how the whole Magic Mansion thing would play out, and I loved how threads of the supernatural were woven into the everyday world.

I don't watch much TV and have only ever watched a couple of reality shows, but I thought it made for a gre
I apologize, I loved this book & will get all ranty & I have NO way with words.

I was completely captivated by this book. What I loved in this story- the writing flowed so smoothly. The story was fun, sarcastic, funny, and romantic. It so perfectly mimicked the "challenge reality TV" nonsense that for a while was the majority on TV. It captured the shock value and media perception of what is on TV, where at times talent was not the determining factor.

The story, MC's, supporting character
Marc | Rainbow Gold Reviews
4.5 Stars

loved it. romantic and suspenseful. A touch of real magic. Characters I liked and a cool setting.
Kasia B.B.
Jan 19, 2016 Kasia B.B. rated it it was amazing
Da bomb!
Dec 24, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
The first half was fun, but by the second half I'd grown tired of the reality show gimmick and was starting to pay more attention to what was missing from the story than what was there.

I wanted to know more about John and Ricardo (without the This Was Your Life moment). In addition to wanting to know more about John and Ricardo, the True magic that they both have seems really inconsistent -- who has it, how it works, the side-effects. Even if that was intentional, it was confusing.

Also, I find
Sep 02, 2012 Reggie rated it it was amazing

What can I say that hasn't been said....The writing was fabulous. The first time I picked up this book I put it back down. I had been reading a lot of character driven books and wasn't quite in the mood for this adventure. The second time I picked it up, I was ready to be entertained. It was a great experience. We are so lucky to have writers like this among us. When you're in the mood to enter a new world and be taken for a ride.... don't miss out...this is an extraordinary experie
Jan 17, 2013 Tam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, other-paranormal
Not sure why I didn't have this as read. I read it in serial format when it was in that format and LOVED it. I loved all the background about how a reality show is so "unreal" :-) and I really got caught up in all the characters. That whole freak-out by the ventriloquist will go down in my memory as a truly memorable, if disturbing, scene.
3.5 stars.

This was enjoyable in a slow, more-story-than-romance way.. I found some parts dragging, but the magic and reality show stuff were interesting enough. Despite some UF elements - there is little paranormal in this book..I would have liked to learn more about the True Magic thing.
Mar 04, 2013 Goesta rated it it was amazing
4+ stars

EDIT 29.Mar.13: POSSIBLE SLIGHT SPOILERS as to some of the themes.

Flashes of genius, especially in the on- and backstage rendering of the Big Brother type fare of manipulated reality ( to which I am frequently subjected because of my hubby's fascination therewith,) married to my passion for illusionists, and my secret suspicion (or hope) that some of them do hide their more profound gifts in plain sight, and featuring the first truly hypnotic and sexy gay character (for me) in his sixtie
This novel was born out a short story JCP was going to enter in a contest, yet it ended up being initially published via her newsletter, with a new chapter being published with each newsletter. And while the format of the novel reflects those beginnings, it also rather echoes the episode format of a reality television show, which is what Magic Mansion is all about.

John Topaz, an aging magician who is facing financial difficulty, is struggling to find work. At 63, no one is willing to take him on
Sep 07, 2014 Nila rated it liked it
As usual, Jordan Castillo Price succeeded in capturing and holding my interest despite everything. The "everything?" The characters I couldn't keep straight; the subject matter, magic and magicians that hasn't interested me since elementary school; the reality TV show, which has never held my attention for more than one episode. ... There's more: a melancholy, handsome, over 65 magician and his True Magic and the 35 year old, adorable magician who reanimates his heart. There are plenty of other ...more
Jun 05, 2016 Scarletine rated it really liked it
Awww. You would have to have a heart of stone to not get a fuzzy warm feeling from Professor Topaz and Ricardo the Magnificent's romance. They were adorable, and it's really refreshing to have the love interests in their 30's and 60's rather than younglings.
The story is themed around a reality TV show shoot. I hate reality TV and the way they manipulate contestants, words or even a look to follow their own narrative. Jordan captured this perfectly. There were many poignant moments in the book to
Karen Wellsbury
Waiting for my BR to finish before I comment
But I loved this
The Novel Approach Reviews
Jan 29, 2016 The Novel Approach Reviews rated it it was amazing
As a longtime fan of Jordan Castillo Price’s work, I’m not sure why I never managed to squeeze Magic Mansion into my overburdened TBR pile. Whatever the reason, it makes no sense that I waited so long to read this book. Why? Because not only is it an entertaining and well-spun story, but in the realms of the author’s prolific body of work, if there’s ever a book she’s penned that I could label sweet (yes, I said sweet and JCP in the same paragraph), as well as accessible to a wider reading audie ...more
Jordan Castillo P...: Magic Mansion 5 20 Jul 13, 2014 06:45AM
  • The Druid Stone (Layers of the Otherworld, #1)
  • Broken Fortress (Rifter #6)
  • Irregulars
  • Mongrel (Mongrel, #1)
  • Pale as a Ghost (Duncan Andrews Thrillers, #1)
  • Just Desserts (Petit Morts, #14)
  • Liquid Glass
  • Beloved Son (Aisling, #3)
  • Marlowe's Ghost
  • One Less Stiff at the Funeral (Petit Morts, #8)
  • King Perry (The Lost and Founds, #1)
  • Midnight (Dance with the Devil, #3)
  • Dead in L.A. (L.A. Paranormal, #1-2)
  • Hoarfrost (Whyborne & Griffin, #6)
Author and artist Jordan Castillo Price is the owner of JCP Books LLC. Her paranormal thrillers are colored by her time in the midwest, from inner city Chicago, to small town Wisconsin, to liberal Madison.

Jordan is best known as the author of the PsyCop series, an unfolding tale of paranormal mystery and suspense starring Victor Bayne, a gay medium who's plagued by ghostly visitations. Also check
More about Jordan Castillo Price...