Start by marking “The Indie Author's Guide to the Universe” as Want to Read:
The Indie Author's Guide to the Universe

The Indie Author's Guide to the Universe

"The Indies Author's Guide has made a huge impact on my sales. I've only just started incorporating what I've learned and in three days have tripled my sales." ~ Robbi Bryant, author of The Beautiful Evil

"If you are preparing to self-publish, and even if you've already done so, you need this book! Finally, a guide that covers it all... every aspect of book creation from hu
Paperback, 1, 222 pages
Published March 3rd 2012 by Nexgate Press (first published February 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Indie Author's Guide to the Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Indie Author's Guide to the Universe

Ripley Patton
Jan 16, 2013 Ripley Patton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hesitate to call any reference book amazing, but I have to admit, I have read this book twice now and gleaned much from it each time.

There is so much here. It is an encouraging, reality-check, list-of- things-to-do, marketing tool with heart.

Jeff's approach to playing KDP select like his own personal stock market is fascinating, and I hope to try it soon with my own newly published book.

Yeah, this one is a keeper and one I will be recommending to my self-pubbed writer friends.
Marie Harbon
Mar 17, 2012 Marie Harbon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: would be writers, indie authors
Jeff Bennington doesn't claim to be an expert but he's certainly one of the savviest writers on the indie book scene. All his advice is no-nonsense, yet at the same time, it's encouraging and spurs you on. His tips and techniques can be applied by any author and he bases his advice on his own experience, not just simply regurgitating marketing theory. The strategies are all realistic and don't rely on luck - you are shown how to create this yourself. He built a platform and readership from scrat ...more
Wendy Cartmell
Jul 17, 2012 Wendy Cartmell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Indie Author's Guide to the Universe is meant to help any author, whether they are traditionally published or self-published. This book is designed to encourage and inspire authors in their craft, and give creative ideas that can improve sales and grow an author platform. (Author description)

The Indie Author's Guide to the Universe by Jeff Bennington is another `how to' book for self published authors. But instead of flowery padding and buzz words, here is a book that tells it as it is. It i
Stephen Woodfin
Mar 22, 2012 Stephen Woodfin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In THE INDIE AUTHORS GUIDE TO THE UNIVERSE, Jeff Bennington has written a gem of a book for indie writers of all experience levels who want not only to write a good book, but also to sell it.
For those of you who are not familiar with Jeff Bennington, he blogs regularly on The Writing Bomb, is an indie author with several novels under his belt and also is the proprietor of The Kindle Book Review. He is a young lion in the indie world, who, like so many other indie writers I have come to know, wa
C.K. Raggio
May 21, 2012 C.K. Raggio rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-twice
Going Indie? This is a MUST read!

Four months ago I was working towards the traditional publishing route. Three months ago, I started reading blogs from authors talking about Indie Publishing. It peaked my curiosity and I looked further into it and came across Jeff Bennington's: The Indie Author's Guide to the Universe. Wow. I was on a line and this book gave me the information and drive to speed across it.

Bennington starts this guide by talking about the changing of the publishing world. He neve
Libby Broadbent
Apr 01, 2012 Libby Broadbent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my. Oh yes. Oh dear. So much. So much information... thank you Mr Bennington. Very helpful, very practical advice on self-publishing, written in the voice of one who knows, but one who does not leave the reader feeling he is waving obscurely from another planet. A planet the reader can never hope to reach. Mr Bennington freely holds out the rocket booster pack to the reader, so she can join him, if she has an editor and a good cover. Passport to universe... editor and good cover... I quite en ...more
John Jr.
May 31, 2012 John Jr. rated it it was amazing
Jeff Bennington, the bestselling author of REUNION, offers tips for success and encouragement to indie authors in a breezy read that's easy to follow and understand. The book is collected from posts at his blog, "The Writing Bomb." He tells the story of his own failures and successes, using them as examples of what works and what doesn't. If nothing else, this is an honest look at the crazy ride that is the indie publishing journey.

Bennington spends a lot of his time writing encouraging thoughts
Aug 28, 2012 Giacomo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Indie Author's Guide to the Universe (Kindle Edition)
This book is not groundbreaking, and like any book that deals with the publishing business these days, it is almost obsolete before it comes out; however, there is more than enough great stuff in here to make it not only worthwhile, but a mandatory read for authors just starting out, or any author who needs help with promotion. If you find chapters that don't interest you, or you feel like you don't need that area of help, skip over them.
Michael Loring
Jun 22, 2013 Michael Loring rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before starting this review, I want to say I realize this is not my usual type of book to review. My usual books are Fiction novels or short stories, but I felt the need to review and share this book simply because it is AWESOME.

Honestly, I wish I had read this book a year ago. I had downloaded it during one of its free promotions right before publishing my first novel. It had been recommended to me from one of the many publishers that sent me a rejection letter. At the time I was just like, “Al
Lisa Lilly
Sep 22, 2016 Lisa Lilly rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lisa by: Carrie Green
What I liked best about Jeff Bennington's how-to on writing and self-publishing is that he provides specifics about what he did to promote his books and about his results. That includes step-by-step information on how to set up various types of promotions, how to layer them for the best effect, and what options Bennington tried and found less helpful. He also addresses what gets a book on Amazon's various book lists and how that affects sales.

Writing, editing and design also are covered. While I
Karen Baney
Jun 16, 2012 Karen Baney rated it really liked it
Jeff does an excellent job presenting a realistic view of what an indie author needs to know in order to get started. He also makes good recommendations on places to advertise (free and paid). There are several fun illustrations like how Santa became a best-seller.

From soup to nuts, Jeff touches on every aspect of the life of an indie author: the craft of writing, indie as author, indie as publisher, indie as marketer. If you're considering self-publishing a book, this is a must read.

The only ar
Jul 11, 2012 Candace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I'm not looking into publishing my own book just yet, but I've been very curious about it and doing a lot of research about publishing Indie. I also work with Indie authors a lot and try to read as many of their books as I'm able. Learning more about it all is just me, I like to know the ins and outs. And I think if more readers learn about it they may be more open minded to read it. I'm also trying to help open communication so everyone on both sides (readers and authors) know what the other wa
Kirkus MacGowan
Apr 15, 2012 Kirkus MacGowan rated it it was amazing
I've read plenty of how-to Indie author books. Some great, some not so much. Jeff stuffs his with such valuable information; I'm not sure where to start. Even with all this information, the part that really hit me was the motivation and encouragement. His upbeat personality shines through in his writing. He's motivational without sounding preachy, and gives the aspiring author a realistic view of the current Indie field.

To give you an idea of what The Indie Author's Guide to the Universe entails
S.K. Valenzuela
Jan 12, 2013 S.K. Valenzuela rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-how-to
I think this book is very valuable for the indie author, if for no other reason than that it drums into your head that you are a business owner. Being an indie author is not for the faint of heart, and you have to wear more than just your writing hat if you want to succeed. Bennington's book offers a combination of encouragement, kick-in-the-pants style reality talk, and helpful tips to make your venture succeed.

On the negative side, I do think that he spends a bit too much time on the periphery
Jun 09, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
The Indie Author's Guide to the Universe has great advice and helpful tips for both indpendent authors as well as traditionally published authors. Bennington's focus is on Indie authors, but traditionally published authors still have to do a great deal of marketing and work themselves and so much of this is applicable to both. If you are a children's book author like I am, however, you will want to seek many additional sources geared specifically toward picture books because there are a lot of t ...more
Tracy Tucker
Aug 11, 2012 Tracy Tucker rated it really liked it
I really appreciated all of the specific tips the author gave, and he did so in a conversational manner which made for easy, enjoyable reading. The questions he asked near the end of the book were thought-provoking ones which succinctly captured what is involved in being an indie author. The parts of the book that were focused on concrete steps to follow was more helpful to me than when the author would shift into philosophical mode. I plan to implement his advice!
Linda Leon
Jan 12, 2013 Linda Leon rated it it was amazing
This was an extremely comprehensive book for new authors. Bennington took great care to write the book from an indie authors perspective. It contains valuable information that the author can immediately apply and a roadmap for effective book marketing strategies. Would recommend it.
Jun 04, 2012 Brent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, chock full of great advice about today's market for ANY author, regardless of whether they are taking the "indie" road to publishing or if they have secured a deal with one of the so-called Big 6 or "legacy" firms. Kudos!
Jul 26, 2012 Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Indie authors, new authors
Really enjoyed this book. Jeff writes in a particular personal manner in this, sharing a lot of information gleaned from his own success in selling his e-books. Chock full of information.
Susan Griscom
Apr 17, 2012 Susan Griscom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author-tools
A great resource book. I highly recommend this, even if you are not an indie author because it is full of fantastic marketing strategies and techniques to help boost book sales.
Loveless Jenny
Jul 25, 2013 Loveless Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book because it shared many of the emotions of becoming an author. I felt like the book was written just for me. Easy to read and great advice.
Jul 02, 2013 Nicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had some excellent advice! If you're an indie just starting out and you're feeling in over your head, pick this one up!
J.W. Stephens
Jun 18, 2012 J.W. Stephens rated it it was amazing
Excellent tips and encouragement for the first time author going the Indie route!
Richie Earl
Feb 24, 2014 Richie Earl rated it really liked it
This is a must read for new and experienced self-pubbed authors.
Dani marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2016
Boyko Ovcharov
Boyko Ovcharov rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
ShopJewel marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Joy Jensen
Joy Jensen marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
D.L. Lang
D.L. Lang marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I'm the bestselling author of REUNION, Twisted Vengeance, Creepy and The Indie Author's Guide to the Universe.

I live in Central Indiana with my wife, four children and two stray cats. I obsess over details, dream strange dreams and teach a creative writing course for a homeschool co-op. Look for my upcoming paranormal thriller, Act of Vengeance, coming in late 2011.

I grew up in Saginaw Michigan,
More about Jeff Bennington...