Start by marking “The Vault” as Want to Read:
The Vault

The Vault

From award-winning British novelist Huw Thomas, a story of hidden secrets, childhood drama and murder...

THE VAULT

Adam Strong has two main problems in life: how to escape a gang of yobs who are out for his blood and how to get the new girl at school to notice that he exists.

But the ancient woods next to Compton Fosse contain more dangers than just the risk of a beating from
Published March 8th 2012 by Engine House Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Vault, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vault

Katy
Aug 24, 2013 Katy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who like to solve puzzles
Shelves: ebook
Book Info: Genre: Suspense
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: People who like an intricate tale
Trigger Warnings: murder, bullying, pedophile
Non-PCness: n-word, gay-bashing, children calling Vietnamese girl “Chinky”

My Thoughts: This book was chosen as my random read in mid-July. I also discovered that a portion of proceeds from this book go to Shelterbox. You can read more about this by following this link.

This is a very strange book. There are at least three stories going on. I can't decided if
Jessica Lave
So I read another of Huw Thomas's books, The Tale of Findo Gask, a while back and I liked it, but I didn't love it. This one was much more my speed! It had a good pace to it, and the multiple storylines blended and overlapped in a really fun and interesting way.

The story focuses on a few different storylines: one is Adam Strong's, a young boy who likes to explore the woods near his town; another is Clay's, an American living in England who is contending with a home burglary; another is an ex-co
David King
May 04, 2012 David King rated it really liked it
"The Vault" by Huw Thomas is a rather interesting mystery novel that I wasn't too sure about initially. The synopsis itself just didn't really grab me and if it wasn't for the fact that the author was giving away half the royalties to a charity known as ShelterBox I may not have even read it. However, I am glad that I did as I found it to be an engaging and thoughtful read that I struggled to put down at the end of each day.

The story follows several different plotlines that are seemingly unrelat
David Brown
Oct 23, 2012 David Brown rated it really liked it
Huw Thomas’ novel combines four threads and weaves them into a mysterious and complex tale set in and around Compton Fosse. At the heart of the story is Adam Strong, a schoolboy with many problems. He fancies the sister of one of his friends and also has the problem of a notorious gang on the council estate. Adam has found refuge in the Hobthrush woodland but his tormentors have begun infiltrating his sanctuary intent on harming him. Adam isn’t the only one with problems though. Three bodies ...more
Cheryl M-M
Oct 06, 2012 Cheryl M-M rated it liked it
The timeline was often confusing and I wasn't sure whether the sub-plots were taking place at the same time as the others or in the past. In regards to Adam and Clay that does become more evident deeper into the book.
What was the whole point of Lester?
Was that just a way of bringing the dangers of sexual predators in our midst, to the forefront of peoples minds? It didn't seem to add anything to the story.
Adam's storyline was strong and interesting. It focused on facing your fears, whilst creati
ReadandRated
Oct 01, 2013 ReadandRated rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea what to expect from The Vault but soon found myself greatly enjoying this multi stranded tale which brings you into the life of school boy Adam Strong and very real feeling account of being at school and dealing with friends, bullies and girls!

Adam’s interactions with his mum, his friends and the girl of his dreams are all very well constructed and believable; he is a character that it is easy to empathise with.

Hobthrush Wood sounds like a wonderful place, I can see why he is so dr
Elke
Jun 10, 2015 Elke rated it really liked it
Another surprise read. When I decided to read The Vault, I did not remember the summary which made me "buy it" or any other information about the story. I simply chose by cover from my growing list of kindle freebies (collecting kindle freebies can really become addictive).

The Vault consists of four different story lines as mentioned in the summary, which eventually get intertwined and meet up at the end. This intriguing concept alone had me hooked and was one of the reasons I downloaded the boo
Linda Parkinson-Hardman
Oct 24, 2013 Linda Parkinson-Hardman rated it really liked it
The Vault is a rich novel that has many different layers across three story strands and all beautifully woven together into a seamless whole. We meet a variety of characters along the way including Adam, the key protagonist. Huw’s characters come to life in the story he weaves, and I found it easy to visualise all of them and the situations they found themselves in.

The story is set in an archetypal English town and the plot weaves together petty rivalries, bullying and first love against a backg
Paddy Greenleaf
Aug 07, 2012 Paddy Greenleaf rated it really liked it
Good read and as hard to put down a any big name writer I've read! Well done Huw and cheers mate! I was cheering Adam on all the way, but confess I too would have liked to know what Adam did next. My kindle version still said I was on 95% when the end suddenly came... The last 5% was in fact the opening chapters of another book! Still, am proud to say I know you Huw after reading this, and may go onto Fido soon, once I finished Alice in Wonderland!!
Candice Mckinney
Jan 15, 2015 Candice Mckinney rated it really liked it
The Vault tells several stories at the same time. Some of the story takes place in the present while another part of the story is in the past. At the end of the book everything comes together. This is a well written mystery
Cecilia Peartree
Cecilia Peartree rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2012
Diane Dickson
Diane Dickson rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Annette
Annette rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2012
Diane Stavrum
good boy book.
Shaun
Shaun rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Amelia
Amelia rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2014
Tony Duckers
Tony Duckers marked it as to-read
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Brian Deegan
Brian Deegan marked it as to-read
Charm
Charm marked it as to-read
TeresaFL
TeresaFL marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2012
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2012
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2012
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2013
John   (JMW)
John (JMW) marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2013
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
May 12, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2013
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Tasha Turner
Tasha Turner marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Audrey Brown-williams
Audrey Brown-williams marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Betty Macy
Betty Macy marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Coreen
Coreen marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Jolie Bonnette
Jolie Bonnette marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Hoss
Hoss marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2016
Daydreaming and thinking up imaginary situations and conversations have been among my favourite occupations for as long as I can remember.

Books have always played a big part in my life - reading them by the dozen and writing them.

I wrote my first 'novel' when I was still at primary school and a few decades on I'm still going.

Writing has always been my first love. I'm not sure that I could stop eve
More about Huw Thomas...