Force Of Nature (Joe Pickett, #12)

Force Of Nature (Joe Pickett #12)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  3,415 ratings  ·  336 reviews
He never wanted to tell Joe Pickett about it, but Nate Romanowski always knew trouble was coming out of his past. Now it's here, and it may not only be the battle of his life-but of Joe's.

In 1995, Nate was in a secret Special Forces unit abroad when a colleague did something terrible. Now high up in the government, the man is determined to eliminate anyone who knows about...more
Audiobook
Published 2012 by Recorded Books

To ask other readers questions about Force Of Nature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Force Of Nature

Kendra
I was kind of afraid to read this. I love the Joe Pickett books so much, and I've always found Nate Romanowski's character fascinating, but did I want to read a whole book about him? Yes, yes I did. It's excellent.

The plots: If you haven't read the entire Joe Pickett series, start at the beginning and linger over my other favorites, Free Fire and Nowhere to Run. Then when you get to this book you will really appreciate the characters, their history together, the complex relationships, etc. that...more
Jacqie
This is the long-awaited revelation about why Nate Romanowski is hiding out in the mountains, off the grid. Which shady government agency did he belong to? Who is hunting him now?

SPOILERS FOLLOW:

I really like Nate, but I'm not sure he carried this book. Maybe it's because Joe Pickett is so well developed during this series. Even Marybeth comes across as a very real, shaded person, and women characters aren't always the strong point of this series. There's a very well-done, chilling scene with he...more
Susan
I am very glad to have come across this series. This was my first book by C.J. Box and in the, Joe Picket, series. This book stood on its own and made me want to read more in this series.

Even though the story is set in Wyoming and follows a game warden, it is not anything like the Walt Longmire series. I enjoyed it very much, it was original, informative and had great characters that I'm looking forward to getting to know better.

David Handler did an excellent job with the narration. I have liste...more
Wesley
I love the Joe Pickett books, C.J. Box has a take on nature that goes in the direction that I have on the matter. Also I love Freedom Arms revolvers, some of the best American made revolvers I’ve ever had the pleasure of shooting.

This book gets 5 stars from me, hands down. After the last couple of Pickett books I complained, well not complained, “hey it would be sweet to get some back-fill on Nate here.” BOOM this is that book. FANFREAKINGTASTIC.

A real breathe of fresh air into the series, exce...more
Rick Fisher
"Force of Nature", the newest Joe Pickett novel from author CJ Box, finally gives us the back story on series regular Nate Romanowski. This one moves at a quick pace, but leaves the reader waiting until nearly the end to hear what Nate has been running from for years. And, although this book is great, as usual, Nate's big reveal really was a little disappointing. Not the huge evil deeds I had expected. That being said, I enjoyed this one very much. Joe and his family are not the main focus here...more
Rex Fuller
The heavy presence of Nate Romanowski makes this my favorite of the Pickett series. The pacing is fast, the action brutal, and the sense of justice perfect. There is nothing more to be said.
Amanda
CJ Box did it again! We finally learn the back story of Nate Romanowski. And it is big! I was a bit disappointed because it took most of the book to learn the secret and for some reason I expected to find out much sooner in the novel. I had not read reviews of the book so I was clueless as to where the story was going and was quite proud of myself when I figured out what Nate's secret was related to, only to find out that the premise of the story was revealed in editorial reviews. At any rate, I...more
Gina Williams
Advanced Reader Copy

This is the twelfth book in the Joe Pickett series and CJ Box once again provides a riveting story with a pace that will have you believing in Wyoming a New York minute is considered slow. Don't expect to put this one down until you turn the last page.

Focusing on Nate Romanowski, falconer, ex-special forces, sworn friend of the Pickett's, and an escaped convict, the authorities quickly conclude Nate's responsible for three dead bodies found in the bottom of a boat floating do...more
Luanne Ollivier
Last year about this time, I picked up the latest C.J. Box novel and reminded myself how much I enjoyed Box's Joe Pickett series. Cold Wind left me wanting to know more about the mysterious Nate Romanowski....

"The secondary storyline involving Joe's friend Nate Romanowski totally grabbed me. Nate is a master falconer and fugitive. He has gone off the grid and underground in the hills of Wyoming. There are those that want him dead. More Nate please! (Fans of Joe Pike and Jack Reacher would like...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Force of Nature is an action packed thrill ride through the mountains of Wyoming and Colorado that finally reveals the secrets of Nate Romanowski's past. Picking up just a few weeks after the events of Cold Wind, Nate is in hiding after confirming the mysterious Five led by the ruthless Nemecek, his former commander and falconry mentor, are hunting him down. He barely survives the first assassination attempt that leaves three locals dead and makes him the prime suspect in a cold blooded murder....more
Robin

One character in this new thriller pulls off the ears of those who cross him. Or he shoots their knees off. Or snaps their fingers back. He doesn’t mind roughing up women too.

And he’s the good guy. Meet Nate Romanowski, a man who is so hard he wasn’t just in the army, or even the special forces, but in a secret elite unit of special forces called The Five. As this rugged thriller gets under way, Nate’s former commanding officer, a badass called Lt John Nemecek, is hunting Nate with a crew of for...more
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Nate Romanowski and Joe Pickett
SETTING: Wyoming and Idaho
SERIES: #12 of 12
RATING: 4.5

Joe Pickett is a game warden in Wyoming who has taken on just about every threat imaginable over the course of twelve books. He is a moral family man who has often been aided by his off-the-grid friend, Nate Romanowski. Nate has been an enigmatic character throughout the series, and FORCE OF NATURE is a book that is dedicated to telling his story.

At one time, Nate was in a Special Forces unit in Cen...more
Barbara
I spend several hours last night reading this book because I couldn't (or, more specifically, didn't want) to put it down. Joe Pickett, being a Game Warden and a lawman has had an uneasy friendship with falconer and fugitive Nate Romanowski. Their friendship is tested when an elite military unit known as The Five come after Nate, leaving a trail of blood in their wake. The head of this unit is Nate's former CO, John Nemecek, himself a master falconer.

Clues are dotted throughout the book like dr...more
Next to Nevada Barr, C.J Box is my most favorite whodunit author. Joe Pickett is the quintessential game warden- he can handle himself in the great outdoors, and he believes wholeheartedly that what he is doing is the right thing, and that it makes a difference. Through the books, he's had to make some tough ethical decisions, and he's paid for some of them as well as incurred the enmity of the local sheriff. His friendship with Nate Romanowski is an ethically difficult one, and Joe does an incr...more
Kevintipple
All Nate Romanowski ever wanted was to be left alone with his secrets and his guilt. He dropped out of society, went off the grid, and vanished into the wilderness. He knew at some point there could be a reckoning. In the last month his good friend, Large Merle, died just after giving him the warning – “The Five. They’ve deployed.”

Now the battle has begun and has come in an unexpected form. Lucky to survive, Nate can’t make any more mistakes. Not only does he have to convince those he loves, suc...more
Ed
#12 in the Joe Pickett series. Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett takes a back seat to his fugitive friend Nate Romanowski in this outing. A follow-up to the attacks on Nate in Cold Wind (2011) that took the life of his lover and that of his trusted friend. We finally get the dark secret that drives Nate as he reluctantly reveals his exploits with a covert operations team that took place while he was an Air Force officer. His rogue ex-team leader is spearheading the attack and the body count become...more
Brenna Hobson
1. I decided to read this book because I was still waiting for my requested books from the library... My mum's really into thriller books, so she recommended this book to me. She said that it's a fairly easy read, with good action, crime and mystery.

2. One of the categories that this book fits is a book recommended to me by a member of my family. Now, I may not use this book for that category, but I am using it as my book for that bingo box for now.

3. The character that I found the most interest...more
Ron
Having won this book, I have not read any of the previous books in this series. As a stand alone book it is pretty good. However, I think if one had a deeper understanding from previous books in the series they might enjoy this book even more. The story is fairly fast paced and the characters are well written. Even without the previous books you are able to get a pretty good idea of who these people are and what drives them. Still I was left with a slight feeling of having stepped into the middl...more
Versel Rush
C.J. Box's Joe Pickett series is one of my favorites and this is another great book.

I have never been to Wyoming but Box makes it seem so real--not overblown nor idealized.

And I love Joe Pickett as a reluctant hero.
Cindy Fisher
This is the first Joe Pickett novel I have read. After the first few pages, I did not expect to like it, but I sure changed my mind. C. J. Box has used a unique setting, created complex characters and put them in unique situations. To some extent I enjoyed those elements more than the actual plot. I will definitely read more of this series.
Harvey
Excellent entry in this consistently interesting series.

Billed as "A Joe Pickett Novel", perhaps properly should be deemed a Nate Romanowski novel (a la Robert Crais' Joe Pike tales).

Essentially, this is the story of why Nate (former Special Forces, elite falconer, survivalist extraordinaire) has been hiding in the Wyoming mountains all these years. His past catches up to him. Will it steamroll him or will he exact revenge for past betrayals?

Realistically fast-paced action. High body count. And...more
Dale
The series continues in its winning ways

Originally published in March of 2011

I am a giant fan of C.J. Box and have been ever since a fan of Robert Crais left a comment on one of my reviews of an Elvis Cole book that told me to check out C.J. Box's Joe Pickett series. I am now happily, but haphazardly, working my way through the series.

Because I am bouncing around, I already knew a lot about Nate Romanowski before I read this book. I don't know if my approach to the series has caused this, but I...more
Mary
Just finished this last night, could not put it down and go to sleep! Good look at the character Nate. Answered a few of our questions about him, also a good look at falconry. Very good bite you nails, while looking over your shoulder novel. I highly recommend C J Box and his Joe Pickett series, even though this was more about his friend Nate, Joe was still there big as life.
Kelly Johnston
This was one of the best from C.J. Box. This is just a murder mystery, but his protagonist is a Wyoming game warden, and the book is full of wildlife facts, mountain geography and outdoor lore. And it is a very fast, captivating read.
Carol
A great read by one of the best writers living... Game Warden Joe Pickett and his friend Nate fighting the evils of man in their own way. Nate's past has come back to haunt him and everyone he cares about.
Jharkey
i love Joe pickett. we get some insight into Nate that was very cool first book i read on my ipad -- while i was in Bali!!!!
Lisa Holbrook
One of my favorites of the series, this book really focuses on Nate Romanowski...if you've read any of the series, you know he's the cool, hard-case who knows how to get things done and seeks justice for the sake of justice, not because it is the law.

This book really delves into Nate's situation and explains a lot of the history that Joe Pickett has actively chosen not to know. As with all the CJ Box Pickett books, and really all of this genre, some of the achievements defy belief and probabili...more
Erix
不喜欢。。。这些角色都略奇葩。看这么多侦探小说总结起来:凡是属女友的都特么神烦、属了老婆都贤惠机智。
Dave
This series has always trod a bit closer to "thriller" than "police procedural" and I'd say this installment is fully over that line, but what a fun ride!

I wouldn't recommend just plucking this one from the middle of the series if you've not been reading along as the back story from previous books plays too important a role, but if you're reading along it's definitely a book to look forward to.

Breakneck speed throughout, and we finally find out what dark deeds have driven Nate to become the ma...more
Jenny
This is another great book by C.J. Box. I have thoroughly enjoyed the previous Joe Pickett novels and this one does not disappoint. (This book can be read without reading the previous books but I would recommend reading at least one other previous Joe Pickett book because it would help the reader understand the gravity of the situation between Joe and Nate.)

After a triple murder, Nate is suspected of committing the crime and is back on the run. Joe has to make the decision about if he wants to k...more
Free Book Giveaway: New giveaway 1 11 Apr 07, 2012 07:45AM
  • Trickster's Point (Cork O'Connor, #12)
  • Die a Stranger (Alex McKnight, #9)
  • As The Crow Flies (Walt Longmire, #8)
  • Poison Flower (Jane Whitefield, #7)
  • The Lost Ones (Quinn Colson, #2)
  • Chasing Midnight (Doc Ford,  #19)
  • Harbor Nocturne
  • The Shadow Dancer (Wind River Reservation, #8)
Edgar Award-winning author C.J. Box is the author of eleven novels including the Joe Pickett series. He's also won the Anthony Award, Prix Calibre 38 (France), the Macavity Award, the Gumshoe Award, and the Barry Award. His short stories have been featured in America's Best Mystery Stories of 2006 and limited-edition printings. 2008 novel BLOOD TRAIL was nominated for the International IMPAC Dubli...more
More about C.J. Box...
Open Season (Joe Pickett, #1) Blue Heaven Savage Run (Joe Pickett, #2) Winterkill (Joe Pickett, #3) Out Of Range (Joe Pickett, #5)