Start by marking “Murder of Crows (The Pillars of Dawn)” as Want to Read:
Murder of Crows (The Pillars of Dawn)

Murder of Crows (The Pillars of Dawn)

Fable Montgomery is the Muse of Story.

Fourteen years ago she gave up her home, her memories, and the man she loved, to prevent a new Dark Age. Yet when her beloved aunt is murdered, the fate of two worlds rests on Fable’s ability to recover the memories she worked so hard to destroy.

Fable returns to the land of myth and magic, a place called Aria. A world that has been w
Published April 8th 2012 by BlissQuest Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Murder of Crows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder of Crows

Larissa
Mar 02, 2013 Larissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars.

I received this book from the author – who’s real name is actually Athena - at the Wordstock Festival a few months ago. The cover and synopsis struck me right away. I have read intriguing summaries that didn’t live up to my expectations, but this book really did. I read Murder of Crows in record time. I couldn’t put it down! I loved the writing, the world-building was great, the characters were fully fleshed out, and my first thought when I finished it is “when is the sequel coming out
cEe beE
Wow. This book was amazing, confusing, sometimes frustrating, sensual but always fantastic. I've never read anything quite like it before. I don't think I can write a review for now that will do it justice. Murder of Crows will definitely stay in my mind for a long, long time.

I only hope the sequel will come out soon, because this was so beautiful.
Ripley Patton
Dec 19, 2013 Ripley Patton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-love
I am fan girling so hard right now over Athena and this book. If I could give it ten stars, I would.

If you love fantasy or urban fantasy, or just love an excellent story well-told, you HAVE to read this.

Why did I love it?

The characters: This book is jam-packed with strong, awesome, powerful, female characters of all varieties and ages. Yes, there are men, but the women rock this book (such a wonderful change from the norm) and that made me love it all the more.

The setting: It doesn't hurt tha
Jason (RawBlurb)
Attacked by a cloud of crows intent on tearing holes in her and removing a prophetic manuscript pages from her person – Fable is tossed into a cross dimensional struggle that could throw two universes into a dark age at best, or apocalypse at worst.

Huh, hold on.. Lets roll this back a second…

Nondescript Fable is a mess. Her Aunt has been murdered, Her Fiance is kaput. Her job sent her packing. She crosses the country, leaving her life in New York City for rainy and dismal Portland Oregon in an e
Fantayssia
May 25, 2012 Fantayssia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed Murder of Crows (The Pillars of Dawn) and I can't wait for the next book in the series. I had a hard time putting down the Kindle once I started reading this book (but it was well worth the lack of sleep). The characters are well-developed, the storyline is engaging, and it flows smoothly. I will definitely be reading and re-reading this book and I'm excited to have a great new fantasy author to read.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fantasy novels, and especi
Adam Copeland
Dec 06, 2015 Adam Copeland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just like the heroine of Murder of Crows, this story has a duality to it. Two stories in one.

Fable Montgomery has always felt out of place. Not in the sense that she was raised by her aunt and gaggle of “Nana’s” in their Portland, Oregon home, or that her mother died tragically when she was young, or even that her estranged archaeologist father has not figured prominently in her life. But in the sense she doesn’t belong to this world.

She doesn’t know just how right she is until the FBI call her
Shannen
Oct 29, 2014 Shannen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read Murder of Crows twice since it published. The first time I finished reading it, I remember thinking 'No! It can't be over already! I love Fable, Liam and the Na Na's too much!' I just read it again last week - for the second time - and now I am missing the characters and their quirks and wit all over again. I am still eagerly waiting for the rest of the series to publish!
The first time I read it, I really didn't know what to expect regarding content, style, or genre for that matter.
Kelli
I received this book free from the Goodreads First-Reads program.

Fable Montgomery is a Muse. She lives in two worlds, ours and a place called Aria, although the latter comes as a shock even to her. Aria is comprised of fantastical creatures, most an interesting combination of human and animal.

Fable writes a story while in a trance. As soon as she finishes writing it, the events of the story start to take place in the real world, beginning with the loss of the story with the exception of thirteen
Megan Cutler
Apr 11, 2013 Megan Cutler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder of Crows is a beautiful, interesting story set in a rich, well-developed world. There's a little touch of everything fantasy in the story and the author has set it artfully alongside modern-day Earth. The characters are interesting and the story is well-paced; an overall satisfying read.

This is obviously the beginning of a series. The book works well on its own until the last few chapters which almost seem to be a preview for the next book (though are still cleverly connected with the res
Steve
Nov 08, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. I do like a good urban fantasy novel and this book did not disappoint. Murder of Crows reminded me somewhat of Charles de Lint which is a good thing in my view. Athena, however, speaks with her own voice and imagination. I thoroughly enjoyed the settings and characters. Fable Montgomery is the protagonist and narrator of the story. This is Fable's story but her story affects and encompasses the stories of two worlds because she is a mu ...more
Sondra
Jul 20, 2012 Sondra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book written by my good friend Athena! Other people have summarized the story better than I can, so I will skip that part.

I have been trying to write this review for some time, but struggling because it’s difficult to be at all objective. It’s impossible to categorize the book into “fantasy” or “action” or “romance”, because it IS all that - and so much more.
The “more” part is where I have a hard time with the objectivity: in addition to the fact that the book evokes
Jamie Welch
Aug 04, 2012 Jamie Welch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book sorta found me as I find books tend to do and I wholly loved it so much I was sad that I was coming to an end finishing it but couldn't stop myself. I love the way that Athena writes and creates her story. Her writing is beautiful, you can see this magical world she created, smell the forest and feel the breeze running through your hair. The characters she creates are real people that you care for, feeling their pain and rejoicing in their triumphs.
The story of Fable, finding her life
Leah Webber
Jan 01, 2013 Leah Webber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up at Wordstock 2012 in Portland. Woo for local authors!

A really fun romp through the imagined world of Aria. Fable Mongomery has had kind of a crappy year. Her aunt was murdered, her fiance doesn't love her, and she can't write the novel she's always wanted. Her aunt left her a quirky house in Portland, so Fable decides to take up residence and reexamine her life. That's when things start getting a little...weird. Why does the fairy figurine keep moving? Who's is that weird old ma
Prina k
Apr 24, 2015 Prina k rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book, it is one of my favourites by far,i couldn't put it down. Can't wait for the next book in the series
C.I. DeMann
May 11, 2015 C.I. DeMann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable mix of fantasy and witchcraft and interplanetary politics, with a dash of steamy romance. This story is perfectly set up for either a sequel or a prequel. I'd look forward to reading either one.
S.
Wow. The universe in this book is complex. It was nothing I expected it to be, but that's okay--I didn't expect much. I certainly didn't expect a world that flourished with seas of characters (and imagery!) I'd know and love by the end. Its very nature--a story about a muse--inspires. I hope there is more soon.

A full review of Murder of Crows can be found at Caps Lock Thinks along with many others.
Chelsie Hinds
Oh my goodness. This was such an awesome book. I really didn't want it to end. But you know what they say about all good things. Now I'm dying for the sequel!! This book was so romantic and beautifully written!! The artistry and the description and the dialogue were all just perfect!

Get the book! You won't regret it, I swear! It's only 3.99 on Kindle!
Kimberly
Aug 29, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fable comes back to Portland because her Aunt Celeste has been murdered. And things get worse......and stranger from there. Magic. Muses. Mythical creatures that only existed in her imaginary forest playland.

I loved this book. I'm not sure why I chose it out of the 200+ books on my Kindle but now I can't wait for the next one!!!!!
Stella_splendens
A wonderful book, but i really hate it. Book one and i habe to wait for the other ones. I really love the story about all the mystical creatures, about muses, two different worlds, love and war. This book has everything to forget your own world and travel through Aria. Thanks for this amazing story.
Steph
Dec 27, 2012 Steph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been awhile since I read this book, and I don't entirely remember all my thoughts. Internet connection out at sea is sketchy at best.
Loved the book obviously, but it doesn't look like there is more to follow from this author. Too bad.
Nina Morgan
Oct 31, 2012 Nina Morgan rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing book and I am excitedly awaiting the next one!
Nina Morgan
Oct 31, 2012 Nina Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book and and excitedly awaiting the next book!
Phaedra Nielson
Oct 31, 2012 Phaedra Nielson rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book!
Sarah Arabi-Katbi
Sarah Arabi-Katbi marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Neda Anjum
Neda Anjum marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
M Larsen
M Larsen rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2016
Geralyn
Geralyn marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Maria Pop
Maria Pop marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Leanne
Leanne marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
  • The Demon Bride (The Witching Pen series, #3)
  • Lost Boys
  • Loveless, Volume 11
  • The Demon's Apprentice (The Demon's Apprentice, #1)
  • The Reckoning (The Fahllen, #2)
  • Shadow Bound (Wraith #2)
  • The Shadow of Black Wings (The Year of the Dragon, #1)
  • Final Stand (The Transhuman Chronicles, #2)
  • When Silver Moons Rise (Lost Immortals, #2)
  • Cemetery Tours (Cemetery Tours, #1)
  • Bayou Myth
  • The Treeman (The Hanningdon Magic Series, #1)
  • Blood+, Vol. 03 (Blood+, #3)
  • Song of the Fairy Queen
  • A Time to Reap (The Legend of Carter Gabel, #1)
  • Blood Brothers
  • Solace
  • The Eyes of the Desert Sand (Chrysalis Chronicles #1)

“Life rarely works out the way you imagine...It plots when you're not looking.” 7 likes