Start by marking “None of This Is Real” as Want to Read:
None of This Is Real

None of This Is Real

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  7 reviews
NONE OF THIS IS REAL imagines a not-too-alternate reality of philosophical children, reincarnating chimeras, mutant matriarchies, and kind seers adapting to affliction. These five fictions question what is knowable and what actions can be taken in the face of loss — of family, heritage, ecosystems, agency, and power. A face incapable of masking its sneering rebellions; you ...more
Published 2012 by Sidebrow

To ask other readers questions about None of This Is Real, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about None of This Is Real

A really remarkable book that pairs a couple of longer narratives with some slightly shorter narratives. The stories themselves are kind of what I've taken to calling "sidescroller naratives," that is, stories where things happen and then other things happen, followed by other things, but rarely with an overwhelming sense that things are going anyplace in particular. Along the way, though, is all the fun, as increasingly wonderful and strange things happen, along with often very witty asides, li ...more
These stories are delightful. I feel like they were written just for me, for my interests and sadnesses and neuroses. Maybe this is why they seem uncanny.

Here are a few bits from "The Coffee Jockey," in which a barista's back goes out while she's making coffee, causing an extraordinarily long line to form, the line becoming a sort of institution:

"The coffee jockey bent over to get some lids and her back went out. She couldn't move, nor could she speak. People in line just waited and sighed and l
“Truly, a person may become an abyss: I felt it happening to me…” says the narrator of “Face,” the opening story in Miranda Mellis’s None of This is Real, a collection that like the line itself invites the reader to enter identity as shape shifter and narrative as potentially infinite transformation—to fall into the groundlessness of the world. ...

See my review at

Lighthearted and dark. Kind of absurdist, kind of intense innervision, these stories are really enjoyable. There are two longer pieces which are naturally denser though still taking part in a fanciful modern world that are the bulk of the book. The shorter pieces are quick reads (even in 2012) yet still carry a good punch.
This is an awesomely bizarre adventure of almost-true stories that happen in a reality just outside our own. They make one laugh, sigh, and endear you to characters you recognize, but just barely. Think of it as the world on the other side of the mirror, but with an Alice In Wonderland twist. Good good stuff.
Steve Owen
It's like this book was written for me.
Babak marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Cherise marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Nathan marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Jakob Goltiani
Jakob Goltiani marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Leia Penina
Leia Penina marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Kyle marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Android Sheep
Android Sheep marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Brandi is currently reading it
Nov 11, 2014
Jennifer is currently reading it
Oct 03, 2014
Arielle marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Carly Giles
Carly Giles marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Abby marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Rosie49 marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Ariel marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Candace marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Amy added it
Mar 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The Revisionist The Spokes Materialisms Xylor Jane: 19991 Encyclopedia Volume 1, A-E