Joyland (Hard Case Crime #112)

Joyland (Hard Case Crime #112)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  40,370 ratings  ·  6,403 reviews
Set in a small-town North Carolina amusement park in 1973, Joyland tells the story of the summer in which college student Devin Jones comes to work as a carny and confronts the legacy of a vicious murder, the fate of a dying child, and the ways both will change his life forever. Joyland is a brand-new novel and has never previously been published.
Published June 4th 2013 by Hard Case Crime

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
87th out of 2,476 books — 12,485 voters
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil GaimanThe Golem and the Jinni by Helene WeckerLife After Life by Kate AtkinsonA Tale for the Time Being by Ruth OzekiThe Man Who Watched The World End by Chris Dietzel
Interesting Books of 2013
19th out of 303 books — 830 voters

More lists with this book...

Nataliya

You gotta agree - Stephen King can tell a story like few others can.

Maybe it's because he can see the world in the way most of us do not, and then grants us the privilege to experience it through his eyes for a few hundred pages - the world that can be unsettling and scary and fascinating and different in subtle little ways that change the way you view it - at least for a little while.

Add to it that Stephen King also can do nostalgia like no other (well, perhaps excluding Bradbury - and there...more
Kemper
There’s a ghost that appears in the haunted house ride of an amusement park in the 1970s? Jinkies! Is this a Hard Case Crime book or an episode of Scooby-Doo?

Actually, it’s a Stephen King novel. And as we found out the last time Uncle Steve wrote a book for the HCC line, he doesn’t have a problem with blurring the line between crime and supernatural. Since HCC needs all the help it can get, I’m pretty sure nobody bitched too much when he turned this one in.

Devin Jones is a struggling college ki...more
Trudi

Written for the Hard Case Crime line of paperback novels, Stephen King's Joyland may look like a duck -- with its tantalizing pulp cover making promises of sex and violence -- but it definitely doesn't quack. In fact, it's another kind of animal altogether, a coming of age tale tinged with the bittersweet tang of nostalgia and the wistful remembrances of what was and what might have been.

This isn't new territory for King. Anyone who's read him at all knows that this is his stomping ground and w...more
Dan Schwent
On the heels of a breakup, college student Devin Jones takes a summer job at an amusement park, an amusement park haunted by the ghost of a woman murdered on one of the rides. But what does that have to do with a woman and her dying child that Devin meets walking on a beach?

Stephen King throws the Hard Case line another bone with Joyland. Much like The Colorado Kid, it will undoubtedly draw much needed attention to the line despite not being like the other books.

Joyland is the story of Devin Jon...more
Alex Duncan
I've been reading Stephen King since I was a child and this book reminds me of his old stuff. It's really good.
Delee
I am not sure what bubble I was living in that I hadn't heard about Stephen King's new book JOYLAND, so it was just luck that the day it was released, I just happened to in the book store browsing. The cover shouted out "look at meeeee!!!" I quickly grabbed a copy off the shelf, and thought to myself, "Mine, mine, mine!" When I finally got around to reading it, I was not disappointed...

photo 80654a5e-a035-4246-8501-cbce94c39823_zpsc27f9561.jpg

This was one of those Stephen King books that made me feel like I was sitting on the front porch on a warm Summ...more
Cheryl
WORK CLOSE TO HEAVEN! Who would not be attracted to the idea of a summer job at JOYLAND? Maybe the carny rides and cotton candy will salve the broken heart of a twenty-one year old English major and tame the persistent negative thoughts that threaten his very existence.

College student and summer carny Devin Jones hears the story of the ghost-in-the-fun-house, the young girl slaughtered in the dark by her boyfriend, and the apparition that appears only to a few with her arms outstretched and want...more
Stephanie
Now I know how Neil DeGrasse Tyson felt while he watched the movie Gravity.

I give Joyland three stars as far as story goes, and a one star when I take into consideration that Stephen got everything wrong about how amusement parks are run. He obviously did zero research. The most believable thing in this book is the ghost part, but I know the vast majority of you out there did not spend twenty odd years hopping around the United States working in amusement parks like I did, and therefore would no...more
Stacia (out of inspiration)
You can't save everyone.

I was tempted to add some new category shelves for this review because the ones I am using don't quite fit the type of retro-reflective, not-really-coming-of-age-but-more-of-a-late-blooming type of read which I experienced. Maybe I should add crime or murder or something, but if I said this was a crime novel, or even a murder mystery, I'd sort of only be giving you part of the picture here.

Devin (Dev) is on the path to discovering himself in the summer of 1970-whatever...more
Seak (Bryce L.)
I decided this review didn't need to be more than a quick one. I've said enough, why say more. I couldn't put Joyland down. It was a fascinating look at carny life, touching at times, and proves King can still write a wonderful story less than 1000 pages long. The noir, crime-solving aspect was almost an afterthought to this interesting tale of life working at an amusement park.

If you have fond memories of a summer job where you almost spoke a different language with your co-workers and really b...more
Lou
Watch Stephen King Talking about This book on Today show now @ http://more2read.com/review/joyland-by-stephen-king/

image

'Work close to heaven!'
That was the advertisement that Mr Devin Jones one Summer reacted to, and this stand up guy at the age of twenty one was soon to become Howie the Happy Hound suited up in Hound attire doing the Hokey Pokey dance with kids at Joyland, a fun amusement park, a place where fun was lived out in its highs of rides and pitch darkness of the Horror House.
There is unf...more
Angela
If I ever were to meet Stephen King, I imagine that the conversation would go something like this:

A: Mr. King, what a pleasure it is to meet you. I’m glad to have this opportunity because I owe you an apology.

SK: An apology? We don’t even know each other. Why would you need to apologize to me?

A: I’m sorry for avoiding your books all of these years and for thinking that you were a one dimensional author who only wrote horror stories. I’m sorry that it took me so long to discover your wonderful wr...more
Rachel Whitley
I . CANNOT . WAIT!
Finding out there's a new Stephen King book on the horizon is like being seven years old, walking into the living room on Christmas morning, and seeing a pile of presents with your name on them as tall as the Christmas tree!

(edited after reading the novel)

What can you say about a Stephen King book that hasn't already been said?
Even so, "Joyland" moved me in a different way than most King novels. It is a coming-of-age story, much like "Stand by Me,", but it differs in that there...more
Cristina Vega
Algernon

We don't sell furniture. We don't sell cars. We don't sell land or houses or retirement funds. We have no political agenda. We sell fun. Never forget that. [Bradley Easterbrook - owner of the Joyland amusement park]

I would have bought this book based only on the juicy cover and the blurb, regardless of the fame of the author and without checking for positive reviews in advance. The entertainment world has been good a good source of interesting reads for me in the last couple of years (The Circ...more
Arah-Lynda
JoyLand is a slow burn of a book and that was alright by me. I love getting to know King’s characters and Devin Jones is no exception. He’s our young, intelligent narrator, burning with the passion and enthusiasm of youth; he is also healing a broken heart, his first, when he signs up to work at the carnival.

This is a Hard Case Crime file so one would expect a murder or two and there is, except it happened years ago and remains unsolved. While never really taking center stage through most of th...more
Bill
I don't know if it's my middle-age sensitivities ramping up or if King is just resonating with me more and more, but I'm becoming very emotionally involved in most of the things he's written.

Joyland is no exception, and he came very close yesterday to making me bawl my eyes out. Heck, I'll admit it: I'm an absolute wreck when it comes to
(view spoiler)...more
Barks & Bites
Joyland by Stephen King I listened to Joyland as an unabridged audio. I love carny tales and this one was a fantastic blend of carny life, murder mystery and coming of age tale all wrapped up with the quirky dialogue and turn of phrase that only Stephen King can deliver.

Set back in the 1970’s, Devin is a college student who accepts summer work at a struggling independent amusement park called Joyland. Joyland’s goal is to spread happiness and joy to children big and small with their doggie masco...more
Victor
Jun 10, 2013 Victor rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone especially Constant Readers
Shelves: favorites
Joyland is my first King novel that I read right when it was released so I knew absolutely nothing about the book and that's exactly the way you should read this book.

I was a little worried that I wouldn't enjoy this book as much as King's other work like IT and The Shining because I'm not a big fan of crime stories. But Joyland is a coming of age story with a good mystery twist now that I think about it. I guess that when I thought it would be like the shows CSI or Law and Order.

Joyland start...more
Tfitoby
If you ever want to look at storytelling in its purest form you can't go wrong with studying Stephen King. I'm not generally a fan of his content but everything I've read has been solidly written and entertaining, with a strong narrative voice and Joyland is no exception.

I guess with this one early readers will fall in to two categories, those that equate yet another new novel from King as being like Christmas and those that are big fans of the Hard Case Crime line of paperbacks. I am quite unas...more
Brandon
"When it comes to the past everyone writes fiction."

In Joyland, King takes us all the way back to the early 1970s by way of a theme park located in a North Carolina small town. Seeking summer employment, college student Devin Jones joins the cast of carneys as a part-time worker. While it was meant to occupy his time between semesters, Devin doesn't realize just how important this job is and how it will change his life forever.

I may list The Stand as my favorite Stephen King novel but I'm not su...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Devin Jones’ college girlfriend has taken a summer job that will have them spending the break away from each other, so Devin decides to apply for a job at an amusement park called Joyland in North Carolina. Little does Devin know this will be the summer that changes his life forever. He will find lifelong friends, suffer his first heartbreak, discover love in many different forms and be haunted by an unsolved murder that took place on Joyland’s grounds.

If I pretend for one moment I had never hea...more
Sam Quixote
Every Stephen King fan has a wonderful memory of reading one of his books, the experience making you oblivious of all else as you become enveloped in the story, completely consumed with the characters, the plot, the sheer brilliance of the storytelling. For me those memories are clustered around my early teens when I first read King, reading Misery, The Shining, IT, Pet Sematary, Different Seasons, in a massive reading jag – I fell hard for King and there was nothing better than picking up one o...more
T.D. Whittle
I loved this little book (it's about novella length) for it's unapologetic American nostalgia which is beautifully evoked, for its lack of cynicism -- balanced with enough saltiness to keep the sweet in check -- and for it's straightforward excellent storytelling. It is not a typical King novel, in that it is low on blood and horror and high on intrigue and the coming-of-age realisations of its main character, who seems to have a lot in common with King himself, as he presents to the public anyw...more
Jon Recluse
Noir is a flavor I savor, so when I saw that King's latest was a Hard Case Crime release, I did him a favor and bought the book.
What I got wasn't noir. It wasn't neo-noir, or noir lite. It's anti-noir.
Don't get me wrong. King is an excellent writer, with an incredible eye for the foibles of the human condition and a deft hand at creating memorable characters.
His eye for human foibles is in full effect here. There are observations scattered throughout this book that are pure gems, that will break...more
Jo
It is now marked as 'to read'. It should say 'dying to read.'
Four months later: I loved it. It is typically SK--simply written and deeply moving with regards to our 'human condition'. It leaves me hungry for more of SK's written work.
Janie Johnson
This book demonstrates exactly how diverse Stephen King is in his writing. While I was not wowed by this story, I was still sucked in rather quickly. What got me hooked on this story was most definitely the Era, the feel of the atmosphere, and also the characters. They were so rich in vitality and realism. Definitely a great coming of age story if not anything else.

I really enjoyed the setting, the premise of the story, I guess because I remember the old time carnivals and fairs, loved the sight...more
AH
This is a review of the audio book edition of Joyland.

I had stopped reading Stephen King books sometime in the early 90's. I think that the first few books of the Dark Tower series were my last Stephen King read. I'm not sure why I have been avoiding his books - I loved his earlier stuff - The Shining, The Stand, It (clowns still creep me out), and I am enjoying Under the Dome on TV. I must say that this has been one of my favorite Stephen King books so far. It wasn't freaky scary, only just a...more
Kelli Lee
I was originally stoked to read this book because I was under the impression that it was being touted as a hard-boiled mystery set within an amusement park. Murder and mayhem around every shadowy corner. I must say that said genre doesn't seem to mesh with this gem of a novel. Not at all. Sure there's a mystery, but the story is driven by the charming characters. And it's their stories that take center stage. Really, this tale belongs to fresh-out-of-college Dev (I adored this MC and his Wonder...more
Becky
If you know me then you know that I am NOT a carnival or fair or festival fan. In fact I pretty much hate them. But there's something about Stephen King that will make me pick up anything he writes, whether it's a book about an amusement park or his grocery list.

I loved this book. Sure it seems like a simplistic plot line, and in a way it is, but this is Stephen King and he can write characters that I care about, even when those characters are horrible, depraved people.

Oddly enough I actually...more
Questions, thoughts, comments? 107 684 Jul 22, 2014 06:31AM
Has anyone read every Stephen King book? 29 326 Jun 25, 2014 09:30PM
North Carolina Go...: J is for Joyland 1 5 Jun 09, 2014 04:04PM
Fiction Threads (...: Joyland by Stephen King 9 14 May 24, 2014 05:26AM
Cast the movie 3 121 Apr 07, 2014 12:15PM
South African Boo...: Joyland (Spoilers) 8 41 Feb 23, 2014 01:02AM
  • NOS4A2
  • Little Girl Lost (Hard Case Crime #4)
  • A Touch of Death (Hard Case Crime #17)
  • Stephen King Illustrated Companion Manuscripts, Correspondence, Drawings, and Memorabilia from the Master of Modern Horror
  • Grifter's Game (Hard Case Crime #1)
  • Choke Hold (Hard Case Crime, #104)
  • Seduction of the Innocent (Jack & Maggie Starr #3 - Hard Case Crime #110)
  • Double Feature
  • Nobody's Angel (Hard Case Crime, #65)
  • Fifty-to-One (Hard Case Crime #50)
  • Odd Interlude: A Special Odd Thomas Adventure
  • The Cutie (Hard Case Crime #53)
  • The Gutter and the Grave (Hard Case Crime #15)
  • Fright (Hard Case Crime #34)
  • Slide (Max & Angela, #2 - Hard Case Crime, #36)
  • The Confession (Hard Case Crime #6)
  • The Cocktail Waitress (Hard Case Crime #109)
  • Fake I.D.
Stephen Edwin King was born the second son of Donald and Nellie Ruth Pillsbury King. After his father left them when Stephen was two, he and his older brother, David, were raised by his mother. Parts of his childhood were spent in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where his father's family was at the time, and in Stratford, Connecticut. When Stephen was eleven, his mother brought her children back to Durham, M...more
More about Stephen King...
The Shining (The Shining, #1) The Stand It Misery Carrie

4 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“When it comes to the past, everyone writes fiction.” 141 likes
“When you're twenty-one, life is a roadmap. It's only when you get to be twenty-five or so that you begin to suspect that you've been looking at the map upside down, and not until you're forty are you entirely sure. By the time you're sixty, take it from me, you're fucking lost.” 137 likes