Start by marking “Mea Culpa (Requiem, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Mea Culpa (Requiem, #1.5)
read book

Mea Culpa (Requiem #1.5)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  33 reviews
**Note from the Author: This is an Out of Print edition. Check out the Second Edition of Libera Me in digital and print formats for the new edition of this Requiem novella, Mea Culpa.**

Everything has a price, especially duty. And love.

Azza's attacks are always deadly...ALWAYS. But that was before Nesy. And before Mikayel and Zane. Now, death has a new enemy. But, what's t...more
ebook
Published June 11th 2012 by Compass Press

To ask other readers questions about Mea Culpa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mea Culpa

Remembrance by Michelle MadowIncarnate by Jodi MeadowsEverneath by Brodi AshtonTangled Tides by Karen Amanda HooperGrave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
CoverLust
93rd out of 267 books — 136 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareDivergent by Veronica Roth
Characters That Make Your Heart Ache
66th out of 278 books — 207 voters

More lists with this book...

Christine Fonseca
Nov 11, 2012 Christine Fonseca rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
This story is told from Zane's POV and explores his relationship with Nesy and the council. Like Dies Irae, writing it deepened my love of this character so much. I hope it does the same for you.
Erin
Huge thanks to Christine for allowing us to see this pre-release!!

Oh, in my list of 'books I can't wait for', the sequel to Lacrimosa is definitely with my tops, so when I saw Mea Culpa I was very anxious to get my hands on this !!! We were lucky enough to get an early copy from Christine, and OMG now the wait is going to be even harder!! I loved Zane in Lacrimosa, and seeing what he gave up for Nesy just broke my heart!! I'm so glad we got to see 'behind the scenes' of what happened to bring N...more
Sylvia
Oh Zane what have you done? My heart is breaking for you! You gave up everything so Nesy can live and your sacrifice I hope is not lost. I am very curious to know what evil is spawned by this action and if it affects Nesy in any way. It's so sad to think that Zane has pretty much lost it all for a love he never confessed. I love this novella and Christine's words haunt me they are so poetic. I need the next book please you really teased me on this one Christine LOL.
Jen*The Geeky Book Gal*
This novelette picks up where Lacrimosa leaves off. Nesy is severely injured about to die when Zane is told that he can save her, but he will have to give up something very dear to him. How this affects everyone's lives in Libera Me is yet to be seen. He is told there will be "consequences"..

I enjoyed reading the continuation of the story from Zane's point of view. I knew he cared for Nesy, but I didn't know the scope and breadth of his love. Wow. Nesy is one lucky girl to have two such loves in...more
Naomi
This was a fantastic short story!! It was great to see another side to Zane. He has to decide if he can make some sacrifices to save his best friend and I didn't realise how close his connection was to Nesy. In LACRIMOSA, Nesy tries to keep him at a distance, but seeing things from Zane’s POV, he definitely sees her differently.

This short story answers some questions that I had at the end of LACRIMOSA, and I am hanging for more!! I am starting to fall in love with the characters and I can't wai...more
Tom
If you haven't read Lacrimosa, just move on nothing to see here.

I really kinda thought the end of Lacrimosa was an end and was wondering how the series was going to continue with the way the first main book of the series ended.

This is a short novella about Zane. When I read the synopsis, I was hesitant because Zane was my least favorite character of the bunch from Lacrimosa. This story is more of an explanation to how Nessy ends up at school with Aydan. I really enjoyed it but it was soooo short...more
Nickle Love (Night Owl Reads)
Also found in my blog.

When reading Lacrimosa, I wasn't sure how I felt about Zane. He was Nesy's friend and although she get annoyed by his concern, she knows he means well. But is there more it than just being friends?

Mea Culpa depicts the events that happened after Nesayel was dying in Celestium and after Aydan was sent back to Earth to live his life as a mortal. It tells the story of what Zane did in hopes to save his best friends' life.

It's a nice short story to get to know Zane a little bet...more
Kwinn
OMG !!! Cliffhanger
i want morrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeee !hahaha

i wonder if there will be 3
pov's in the second book ?
because nessy is still alive
yes ! xD

in this short novel.
zane sacrifice everything for
nessy to be able to live again .
and in return nessy will not be able
to feel or remember who zane is .

OH MY SWEET GOODNESS .
i can't wait for the next installment
of the requiem series :)
im looking forward to it .
Heather McCorkle
Since book one I've been partial to Zane. Something about him just drew me in and wouldn't let me go. This novella is all about Zane and I loved every moment of it! We get a glimpse into a tortured soul who would do anything for a friend that he loves dearly. And what a glimpse! I highly recommend this novella~which is a bridge between the full-length novels Lacrimosa and Libera Me~for fans of the Requiem series.
Sara
I love this series!! There has been no disappointment for me in any of the books. This was a great little story of Zane and his feelings and how Nesy was saved. Fall cannot come fast enough for more of the story! Christine, you are an awesome writer!
Ari
I had told myself to wait until just before LIBERA ME was released, but this is told from Zane's point of view, so I couldn't resist the temptation of taking a little peek which led to me reading the whole story.

Review:

Living with a guilty conscience is a terrible thing. It sometimes leads people to make decisions they would never have otherwise because they think they owe something to the other person they feel has been wronged by their actions. Zane lived with that kind of guilt, even if he...more
Tiffany Mahaffy
I was super excited to get an early copy of this book. Especially when Christine had told me that it was about Zane!! I am all about Zane he has a personality that just makes him so memorable and his devotion is a most admirable trait. This novella being a bridge between LACRIMOSA and DIES IRAE is brief but it makes up for it with intense emotion and information!

There was so much that I didn't see about Zane. He always seemed like the rock and this novella made me love him so much more than I d...more
Samantha
AHHHH THAT WAS TOO SHORT!!

In this novella, the writing continues to be beautiful. The phrasing really emphasizes the emotion and anguish of the characters (or in this case, character as there was really only 1 haha). It was so satisfying to have this piece of the puzzle answered after the preview of what was to come in Lacrimosa. I have to admit, I had NO idea Zane felt this way about Nesy! He really cares about what is best for Nesy and what will make her happy, even if that meant pushing her c...more
Darlene
Jun 14, 2012 Darlene rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
Recommended to Darlene by: Christine Fonseca
What would you give up for love? Your memories of the loved one? To know that you might not even have these precious memories? But to save her life? Would you?

These are some of the questions that Zane must work out. It plays on your emotions while giving you insight into this character, Zane.

Thank you, Christine Fonseca, for allowing me to read this character study. Love Zane! I look forward to the next in your Angelic series.
Amy (BW)
TOO SHORT! I WANT MORE!

After having read Dies Irae, Lacrimosa and now Mea Culpa...I am fully vested in all of these characters. I have to honestly say that I did not know the full extent of Zane's feelings until today. I'm really looking forward to continuing the series the Christine Fonseca has so beautifully written for us.
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Short and to the point. We learn what Zane did to ensure that Nesy doesn't die. I don't remember ever suspecting he had such feelings for her. It looks like he gave up quite a lot in order to save her. Can't wait to see what happens next now that he has found her and Aydan.
Shelly Smith
I love these quick, short stories that bring more depth to your characters and keep me excited for the rest of the series. Also, I like that it's short... it's nice to be able to sit down and read the whole thing at once.
Soumi
Apr 16, 2012 Soumi marked it as to-read
Wow..this is Azza's Zane's story..Gosh, I want to read now and I never thought he can be this hot.........
Michelle McLean
loved it! perfect transition between books one and two and makes me want book 2 soooo much more.
Debdatta D. Sahay (b00k r3vi3ws)
I had received this novella quite some time back from the author but had been putting off reading it as I was afraid that it might not live upto my expectations. But I had nothing to worry about -- Ms.Fonseca has done it again!

To be frank, I did not give Zane much importance in Lacrimosa since I was in half minds about whether I liked him or not. He did show a side that had me believe in him, yet most of the times I didn’t really like him that much. Since this novella is written in Zane’s POV a...more
Nereid
So there is life after death for angels even if it means becoming mortal. Nesy gets the chance to start her life over as a mortal and although she looks a little different, it is still her. Zane and Mikayel, desperate to save her and out of options do the unthinkable and make a deal with the demon smoke. In exchange for Nesy being reborn, Zane will give up all his memories of her and he believes it is the only way to keep her alive. Who knew that he had unresolved feelings of love towards Nesy a...more
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
I would like to thank the author, Christine Fonseca, for providing me with an ARC of this story.
What can I say, as with Lacrimosa, Fonseca has done it again. She brings all your emotions to the surface, and this time in just five short chapters!
This story is told from Zane's point of view. It is the story of what happens after Nesy is injured and is on the verge of dying. It is the story of how Mykail and Zane save her.
I knew there was more to Zane's love of Nesy than just friendship. I could te...more
Zuleeza
Okay, to be honest at first I wanted to skip this novella because Zane is not among my favourite characters from the Requiem series. But then when I tried to read Libera Me, I couldn't get into the story. Luckily, I followed Christine's advice to read Me Culpa first because now, everything makes more sense! Hehe.

Well, Christine's writing is spectacular as always but with only five chapters, there was barely enough time to really feel for the characters. Not that it should be written longer, I ju...more
Leigh Moore
LOVED this! I'd just finished LACRIMOSA, the novel it follows, and I have to confess, I was all "I KNEW it!" reading MEA CULPA. (In the best way, of course.)

What a great, tense story of sacrifice and love and realization. I really liked getting to know Zane better... And that ending!

now I HAVE to read LIBERA ME--Stat!!!

Awesome setup. Highly recommend!
Angela Brown
What is there to say about Zane? When I read Lacrimosa, I often wondered what was going through Zane's mind. I'm glad Christine gave us this tidbit to see what it was like to delve into the mind of the angel who was supposed to be the epitome of controlled emotions. And with my penchant for emotional rollercoasters, this certainly satisfied.
Amanda (mandy)
Oh Zane! I knew there was more to your story. I loved reading what Zane and Mikayel would do to save Nesy. Zane's guilt and heartbreak over what happened to Nesy is so touching. I was so frustrated with him in Lacrimosa but my heart hurt for him in Mea Culpa. I am so looking forward to book 2 to see where his actions lead.
Kelly Hashway
This is a really quick read that gives insight into the series. It's kind of the back story that you don't get to see in the books themselves. It cleared up some mystery very nicely and left me wanting more.
Tiana411
It's too short!!! I want more. I love what a loyal friend Zane is. I like getting to know him more in this story.
Sorry short review but its worth reading.
Kel (Bookworm)
MMM... nice teaser for the next book.
Amy Softa
Another Novella that I have cleaned off my Nook that was sitting there for a while. Was a free download and I like Angels so I thought I would give it a try to see if I liked the series. I enjoyed the short story, it felt like a prequel so I don't think I spoiled anything. Sound fairly familiar to a couple of other YA angel/paranormal stories that I have read, but enjoyed, so I might give this one a try too when I start looking for a new series to try. For other download it and see if you like t...more
  • Between (Heven and Hell, #1.5)
  • When Silver Moons Rise (Lost Immortals, #2)
  • Demon Evolution (The Evolution Trilogy, #2)
  • Sacred Bloodlines (The Sacred Guardians, #1)
  • Nephilim (Academy of the Fallen, #2)
  • Desolate (Desolation, #2)
  • Forever Dark (Starfire Angels: Dark Angel Chronicles #4)
  • Caged in Spirit (Caged, #3)
  • Revelation (The Guardians, #3)
  • Valefar Vol. 1: Demon Kissed Novella (Demon Kissed)
  • Dark Light of Mine (Overworld Chronicles, #2)
  • Guardian of Time (Shardwell, #2)
  • Don't Call Me Angel
  • Human
  • Echo of an Earth Angel (Earth Angel Trilogy, #1)
  • At First Sight  (Timber Wolves, #3.5)
Critically acclaimed nonfiction and YA author Christine Fonseca is dedicated to helping children of all ages find their voice in the world. Drawing on her expertise as an educational psychologist, her nonfiction titles address issues of emotional intensity, resiliency and giftedness. In fiction, she explores the darker aspects of humanity and delivers gothic thrillers that take you on a rollercoas...more
More about Christine Fonseca...
Lacrimosa (Requiem, #1) Transcend Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students: Helping Kids Cope with Explosive Feelings Dies Irae (Requiem, #0.5) Libera Me (Requiem, #2)

“Each memory rips through me, and although I stow myself against the emotions, I can’t prevent the pain that accompanies each image. Pain for a love never acknowledged, pain for a friendship now gone. Pain for a loss I can’t possibly endure.” 27 likes
“Nesy. At last.
It has to be her. Who else can make Aydan smile? Make me smile.”
6 likes