Start by marking “The Uncrowned Queen” as Want to Read:
The Uncrowned Queen

The Uncrowned Queen

Short story prequel to The King's Concubine.

1330. Philippa of Hainault may be married to King Edward III but she is kept penniless and powerless. England grimaces in the clutches of the Dowager Queen Isabella and her ruthlessly ambitious lover Lord Mortimer, while Edward’s father rots in illegal confinement, a prisoner at Mortimer’s hand.

It will take a courageous young man
Published April 2012 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about The Uncrowned Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Uncrowned Queen

Sarah u
The Uncrowned Queen is a short story written by Anne O’Brien. It covers a period early in the reign of Edward III- he is a teenage King, his father has been overthrown by Roger Mortimer, and both he and his Queen Philippa of Hainault are living under his and the Dowager Queen Isabella’s rule.

The story is told from Philippa’s point of view. We open at her coronation ceremony, as she is heavily pregnant with her first child. Edward gathers his friends as plots against Mortimer are being made; his
Amanda
May 07, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Amanda by: Im a fan of the author
This prequel to the King's Concubine sets the scene perfectly. I loved the way this young queen (albeit heavily pregnant) is trapped in so much intrigue and plotting thanks to the king's mother and her 'Lover'.

Again, Anne captures the era spot on and as a short story, it was definately to the point, keeping me captivated page after page.

As a historical buff, I love these books, and in print would make a very welcome addition to my shelf.

An excellent introduction to King Edward and Queen Phillip
Jo Barton
Apr 20, 2012 Jo Barton rated it it was amazing
This short story prequel to the soon to be published The King's Concubine, sets the scene for the early years of the reign of Edward III, and his marriage to Philippa of Hainault.There's also some useful background information to the feud between Edward and his mother's lover, Lord Mortimer.
This is a period of medieval history I know very little about, so it was very useful to have a bit of background information, in readiness for The King's Concubine.
Bec Waterhouse
May 22, 2012 Bec Waterhouse rated it it was ok
I was a little underwhelmed by the ending.
Jo Wright
Oct 29, 2016 Jo Wright rated it liked it
Only got 3 1/2 here because it was so short would of love to have read their story in full as I enjoyed the writing
M.L. Sparrow
May 16, 2016 M.L. Sparrow rated it liked it
I loved the sequel to this story, The King's Concubine, so when I heard there was a short story about Edward and Philippa I just had to read it, but I have to say I was very disappointed. The scene was set perfectly and the writing was good, but it was just too short. No sooner had you got into it and it was over. Also, despite the whispers of an uprising, we never see any action because it's all told from Philippa's point of view and she's heavily pregnant at the time and is, therefore, hidden ...more
Elisabeth
Apr 25, 2015 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
This is a prequel to “The Kings Concubine” and is the story surrounding the early days of marriage of King Edward III and Philippa of Hainault. Although Edward is King, the Dowager Queen Isabella and her ruthless love Lord Mortimer still hold the purse strings and make Philippa beg for every penny that she needs.
The story begins with Philippa heavily pregnant with their first son (who would become Edward the black prince). Unhappy as to how his mother and Lord Mortimer are taking control of the
Cynthia Mcarthur
Jul 05, 2012 Cynthia Mcarthur rated it really liked it
I read The King's Concubine before I read this short story. I have read quite a lot about Edward and Phillipa, but never from Phillipa's point of view. This was indeed a short story, but it was very dynamic. You could feel the loyalty, love and hope that Edward and Phillipa felt for each other, and England. I could have read this as a full-length novel. For a short story there was excellent character development and imagery.
I really liked it.
And it really does make an excellent lead-in to The Ki
Sara
Nov 03, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
I have read a few of Anne O'Brien's books before and I liked them so when I was having a bit of a dry spell reading wise I trusted that this would be enjoyable. It was. It painted a short but pleasant picture of Edward the II (III?) and his wife and the challenges they endured while under the thumb of his mother and her lover. I don't know too much about that period so it was a good start to that time and I look forward to reading more of that period and more from this author.
Claire
May 05, 2012 Claire rated it really liked it
This is a short story prequel to The King's Concubine. It sets the scene for the early years of the reign of Edward III, and his marriage to Philippa of Hainault. Enjoyable and has captured my imagination enough to download and start reading The King's Concubine.
Naomi
Jul 06, 2012 Naomi rated it liked it
I must say that I was pretty impressed with this short story which was written as a prequel to an upcoming full novel release. It was concise with and excellent introduction to the character. This will def. be a full length novel that I will read.
Carol Moore
Apr 11, 2016 Carol Moore rated it liked it
A fast quick read

This was !much shorter than I had thought. The story is quickly told rather as a summary than an actual story. However it is a good read with an interesting subject.
Becky
short and to the point how Philippa of Hainault became Edward the 3rds queen
Samantha
Aug 17, 2012 Samantha rated it liked it
Shelves: read-ebook
I was a bit disappointed by the ending but did enjoy the book
Leighah
Aug 20, 2016 Leighah rated it really liked it
it was over before I knew it.
Carol
Jun 11, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing
Loved it.
lynne peters
lynne peters rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Dawn Ormandy
Dawn Ormandy rated it liked it
May 27, 2013
Katie Horsfield
Katie Horsfield rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2013
Alana
Alana rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2013
Diane Cummings
Diane Cummings rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2017
Emma
Emma rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Pauline C
Pauline C rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2013
Terri Trim
Terri Trim rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Vicky
Vicky rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Natasha
Natasha rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2014
Ceri Roberts
Ceri Roberts rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2013
Laura Yumar
Laura Yumar rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2015
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Sarah Clements
Sarah Clements rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 27, 2015 11:32AM
  • London Calling (Susanna and the Spy, #2)
  • The Passionate Brood
  • I Serve: A Novel of the Black Prince
  • The Master of Verona (Star-Cross'd #1)
  • The Hostage Queen
  • Thwarted Queen (Thwarted Queen Book 3)
  • The Queen's Favourite
  • Before the Storm
  • Hugh and Bess: A Love Story
  • The Star of Lancaster (Plantagenet Saga, #11)
  • His Last Mistress
  • The Rose of York: Love & War (The Rose of York Trilogy, #1)
  • Treason
  • Queen of Bedlam (Georgian Queens #1)
  • The Queen's Pawn
  • Fortune Made His Sword
  • The Marigold Chain
  • Unholy Awakening (Hanno Stiffeniis, #4)

My home is in the Welsh Marches, although much of my early life was spent in Yorkshire, most recently in the East Riding.Ann O'Brien The Marches is a remote region of England, surrounded by echoes from the past. Hereford is close with its famous Mappa Mundi and chained libr
More about Anne O'Brien...