Twilight of the Gods: The Mayan Calendar and the Return of the Extraterrestrials

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  314 ratings  ·  31 reviews
High up in the Bolivian Andes—4,000 meters above sea level—lies Pumapunku, an ancient ruined city that simply could never have been constructed by its Stone Age inhabitants. "Something here really stinks to high heaven," writes Erich von Däniken.

"In Twilight of the Gods," says von Däniken, "I document precisely what it was that left the first visitors breathless as they st...more
Published April 24th 2012 by New Page Books (first published October 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Twilight of the Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twilight of the Gods

Linda  Branham Greenwell
I think I would have enjoyed this more if I hadn't watched all of the Ancient Aliens episodes on History Channel
I found the discussion of the dating of the MAyan Calendar very interesting and informative... it explains why the identified date of 12-21 (or 23) -2012 may NOT be the correct date... the date is based on interpretations and assumptions.
I think Von Daniken makes very good points about the much older age of the earth - and it's people - than mainstream science does. It seems very plaus...more
Justin
Another good book written by Chariots of the Gods author Erich von Däniken. As a fan of the Ancient Alien Theory I find them very interesting and enjoyable. I know there are many that don't believe or can even see its a possibility, but I still enjoy it.

Erich von Däniken had written over two dozen books on the subject of ancient aliens and there possible return. Even if aliens do return as suggested I don't think these books will go down in literary history as wonderful works of literature, but...more
Dana Warren
This book is remarkable. I can't go a day without thinking about it, and all I want to do is find out more information. Erich von Daniken makes all of the science, astronomy, and archeology understandable. Most who see the title will come to the conclusion that this book is about the Mayans predicting the end of the world, but not once in this book did he say the world will end in December 2012. I was surprised at the contents of this book, and I'm sure others who read it will be too. All I can...more
Dale
Enthusiastic but disjointed

Erich von Daniken is most famous for his 1968 book Chariots of the Gods in which he put forth the theory that civilization was brought to earth by alien space travelers that taught some humans their ways and this is the source of the world's major religions and brought mankind from the caveman era to civilization in places such as Egypt. He believes that this truth is documented in the art and writings of the ancient civilizations. The 1970s documentary In Search of A...more
C.C. Thomas
To read Daniken's book, you have to be aware that Daniken not only believes in aliens but propounds that aliens created humans. I have read many of Daniken's books and have always found him to be fascinating.

Yet, this book wasn't one of my favorites. I felt the title mostly capitalized on the upcoming Mayan prophecy without really fully explaining it. I wanted a clear explanation for December 23, 2012 but felt this book didn't do any better of a job than any of the documentaries or articles I've...more
Thomas Walsh
If I read this book ten years ago, I would have tossed it in the corner with his other famous work, "Chariots of the Gods". But, my opinions have changed in ten years. I used to think Mr. von Daniken skipped over our potentials as human beings and fixed our civilization's greatest achievements on Sirius. But, then, I aged and listened and read more about exactly how, for example, the pyrimids were built. How did Egyptians 4000 years ago carve limestone blocks (yes, I know it's soft material) whi...more
Lea
I always forget how much I enjoy Erich Von Daniken's writing -- he's got plenty of facts to bolster his arguments, but his style is very warm & compelling, almost like listening to your favourite professor or learned grandpa. Very enjoyable.

The forward, by Giorgio A. Tsoukslos, starts things off nicely, with a quick introduction to cargo cults (a favourite subject of mine).

Von Daniken focuses here on Mayan culture, Tiwanaku, & Puma Punku, as well as exploring the Mayan calendar & e...more
Madison Meljac-lehmann
Very interesting. I love how he helps you look at the readings in a modern way. This book combined all my favorite subjects: archeology, anthropology, physics, ancient manuscript and theological concepts. I also was impressed that he clearly stated what was fact and what was probable.
Pauline
I like most of Von Daniken's books. Despite his reputation among "professionals", I find a good many of the questions he asks very refreshing. Some of those questions about how early civilizations were supposed to have accomplished particular feats are still unanswered by the academic field, but whatever it is academia think, they would all agree it couldn't possibly be what Von Daniken postulates. That's part of what makes him such a cult figure. He asks very good questions and everyone can use...more
Evan
It was interesting, but to me seemed to be more of a reiteration of Chariots of the Gods than a original work on its own.
Vítek Kalábek
S Dänikenem jsem vyrůstal. O teoriích toho pána v modrém saku si můžete myslet co chcete, ale vlivnější osobu a evangelizátora mimozemských civilizací (a snad i záhad celkově) nenajdete. Ten člověk zkrátka a dobře odvedl obrovský kus práce a nepřestává pokračovat. A to je dobře.

Návrat Bohů 2012 je a není vědeckou knihou. Je postavená na solidních základech, hojně cituje, ale přesto obsahuje převážně spekulace. Zkrátka a dobře klasický Däniken.

Celkově jde spíš o slabší knihu z jeho díla, která sp...more
Aaron Foster
Once you have your baloney detection kit from A Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan, books like this can be difficult to read. He goes on about giants for awhile, and it comes off to me as, "All these religious texts say there were giants, so there were definitely maybe some giants, probably!" He reminds me a lot of Glenn Beck (which, to me, is not a good thing), a man asking perfectly valid questions that should be asked, but falling short of finding answers or tries too hard to find proof of wha...more
Michelle Tempted By Books
Outstanding evidence. I was first introduced to Erich von Daniken's theories by the first Season of Ancient Aliens on the History channel. This book had some excellent pictures, plenty of evidence to back the theories and exceptional research. Though I admit some of the theories are a little too far fetching for me and I tend to discredit the "evidence" of recent contact on sight. I will say, call Fox Moulder because I am now a believer in the Ancient Astronaut theory.
Caitlin Crowder
I don't normally get into non-fiction style books but I couldn't put this one down. It was curiosity mostly, but also Däniken's writing voice and the way his topics flow about like my own thought patterns. This is a must-read for anyone who likes to watch Ancient Aliens or anything similar. I can't wait to dig into Erich von Däniken's other works. :)
Chris
this book was a bit more thoroughly written than chariot of the gods. it's written as an academic text, yet it's still just as whiny as chariot of the gods. how many times is he going to write 'after all, i've written 25 books on the subject, so i know it's true'. srsly.
Inara
I bought this book after a lecture of Erich von Däniken and of course it´s signed ;D
Even at 75 Erich von Däniken is still fascinating to listen to and his passion for his theories is still strong and stirring and you strike for home asking yourself "What if...?"
Greg
A very interesting look at archaeological findings tied to apparent extraterrestrial activity. Chock full of information ranging from history to anthropology, from biology to physics. This book was quite the eye-opener and entertaining as well.
Drew Schmidt
I found his ideas interesting yet a bit to far out for my tastes. While he does a good job bringing different ideas together I couldn't help but think these ideas may have some other basis then the return of extraterrestrials.
John Van Fossen
This is the second book by him I have read. Both have left me wanting more information than what he includes. Erich provides fantastic food for thought but gives little to continue the ideas.
Simone
Great book on this never-ending subject. I was only a little disappointed because I wanted more on the Mayans. Other than that, I definitely recommend it.
Belinda
Great information. Impeccable research albeit a bit hard for me to follow at times. Will definitely read his others tho
Roger McKasson
Excellent read! Erich von Daniken makes the reader think about the possibilities of extraterrestrial contact in the past!
Emilie Masi
You have to be open minded to read this book.
Claudia
Another great "thought book" by Erich Von Daniken. I just can't get enough of this intellectually stimulating author.
Derrick Schultz
Scattered but at least somewhat interesting. The section on memes is particularly cool.
Anthony
Good book. It is much of the same, but thought provoking none the less.
Kristin
Very interesting.... Last chapter was a little slow.
Pat
An interesting read if you're into the ufo type of thing.
Ralph
And interest book as are most of Erich's are.
  • There Were Giants Upon the Earth: Gods, Demigods & Human Ancestry: The Evidence of Alien DNA (Earth Chronicles)
  • The Sirius Mystery: New Scientific Evidence of Alien Contact 5,000 Years Ago
  • The Ancient Alien Question: A New Inquiry Into the Existence, Evidence, and Influence of Ancient Visitors
  • Technology of the Gods: The Incredible Sciences of the Ancients
  • Gods of Eden
  • Keeper of Genesis: A Quest for the Hidden Legacy of Mankind
  • Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings: Evidence of Advanced Civilization in the Ice Age
  • Heaven's Mirror: Quest for the Lost Civilization
  • Serpent in the Sky: The High Wisdom of Ancient Egypt
  • Forbidden History: Prehistoric Technologies, Extraterrestrial Intervention, and the Suppressed Origins of Civilization
  • The Hidden History of the Human Race - The condensed edition of Forbidden Archeology
  • The Stargate Conspiracy
  • The Atlantis Blueprint: Unlocking the Ancient Mysteries of a Long-lost Civilization
  • The Key: A True Encounter
Born on April 14th, 1935, in Zofingen, Switzerland, Erich von Däniken was educated at the College St-Michel in Fribourg, where already as a student he occupied his time with the study of the ancient holy writings. While managing director of a Swiss 5-Star Hotel, he wrote his first book, Chariots of the Gods, which was an immediate bestseller in the United States, Germany, and later in 38 other cou...more
More about Erich von Däniken...
Chariots of the Gods Gods from Outer Space The Gold Of The Gods The Gods Were Astronauts: Evidence of the True Identities of the Old 'Gods' History Is Wrong