Start by marking “Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead” as Want to Read:
Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead

Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead

In the myths, legends, and folklore of many peoples, the returning, physical dead play a significant role, whether they are the zombies of Haiti or the draugr of Scandinavia. But what are the origins of an actual bodily return from the grave? Does it come from something deep within our psyche, or is there some truth to it?

In Zombies, Bob Curran explores how some of these b
Published April 24th 2012 by New Page Books (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Zombies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zombies

Icy Sedgwick
I'll warn you in advance the sub-title of the book is something of a misnomer. A "field guide to the walking dead" would imply some sort of encyclopedia of zombies, whereas the book is more of a discussion of differing forms of the walking dead throughout history. Medieval folklore sits alongside Far Eastern mythology, while a whole section is devoted to Biblical examples of the dead rising from their graves. In addition, Curran seems less concerned with zombies and more interested in the differ ...more
Yvonne
Feb 12, 2017 Yvonne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I need to admit, while I was disappointed with Dr. Bob Curran's lack of sources in his book about vampires; thus made me question his credentials as 'Dr.' I had to buy this book for curiosity's sake. Dr. Curran presents a lot of varied zombie lore within this book from a variety of cultures around the globe and this time, he included a bibliography! I also felt inspired to research this author a little further and discovered he was born in Northern Ireland and he does indeed, hold a doctorate de ...more
Rick
Bob Curran gives you a crash-course in mythology related to the dead returning from the grave, either as the undead or back to life -- including a certain Mr. Christ. And he gives an overview of ye olde graverobbers, from the days when surgery students had to buy corpses from disreputable cads. All of this is supposed to inform and underlie the modern zombie archtype -- the flesh-eating corpse returned from the grave.

And yet, it doesn't.

Don't get me wrong, the book was interesting enough and I e
Patrick D'Orazio
Dr. Bob Curran presents an eminently readable, indepth, and fascinating tome on the history of the walking dead. The title of this book is "Zombies" but to limit it to that specific term and its origins also limits the impact of this comprehensive history of many cultures perception of the corporeal forms of the undead that have come back for varied reasons, both fair and foul, since nearly the dawn of time.
This book does explore the origin of the classic Haiti zombie but goes much deeper than
Doug Lewis
Jul 09, 2009 Doug Lewis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I gave this book one star because everything about the title is a misnomer.

There is very little "zombie" about this book, and even less "field guide"

While it is somewhat well researched - it is simply that. A research paper. Basically, a really long essay about the history of folklore surrounding resurrection myths. NOT zombies as we know them. In fact, the "zombies" we all know and love are summed up in about a page and a half that mentions george romero and his movies ... and kind of messes th
Melissa
Jun 02, 2011 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
For starters, I think it's a misleading title. For a "field guide" I expected one of those humorous writings on how to fight off zombies and win the apocalypse. However, this turned out to be simply a world history on how zombie stories have come about. While this was not what I was expecting, it was fascinating and I learned a lot! But, I only gave it three stars because of the writing and grammar (the author apparently has never heard of the word "whom" and there were other typos as well), and ...more
Ross Bussell
Dec 16, 2008 Ross Bussell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, zombies
I didn't really research this book before I picked it up from the local public library. I just added it to my list because it said "Zombies" in the title, and started reading.

At first, it was somewhat interesting, hearing about the actual historical folklore surrounding zombie stories. But then this book basically repeated the same information over and over again.

It read very much like a poorly written textbook about zombie folklore, which is actually what it was. I can't honestly say I enjoyed
Josh
Sep 25, 2008 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Once again this author is more of a gateway into folk lore, giving an average depth look into the zombie folklore from around the world. However, some of the things in this book are indeed incredable and it was alot of fun reading it.
Once again the art was also amazing!

The publishing company isnt that great though. There were something like fifty typeos.
Rawannie
If you can put aside the title of the book, which is a complete misnomer, and all of the many editorial issues, which are hugely annoying, this becomes a great collection of myth-legend-folklore regarding the reanimated dead. Curran obviously did some research into many different regional beliefs. Daniels is a great artist but his stylised drawings seem slightly out of place here.
Jenny B.
Dec 07, 2012 Jenny B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very interesting. The author's thorough research in diverse cultural beliefs in the dead rising (from various voodoo practices to the Baltic strigoi) was magnificent. Some of the accounts including actual historical individuals were very intriguing. I would certainly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in history, cultural superstitions, and indeed, the walking dead.
Michael Hermann
Good little read on how the myth of the zombie or walking dead came about. Very interesting to read about the beginnings of the belief in the walking dead and how it changed over time and in different cultures. If you are interested in zombies at all, I would recommend this book.
Kyaw Zin Thant
quite nice !!!
Miss Kelly
Just paged through this book to help with my Teen Zombie Program. Not so great
THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GUIDE was helpful though[Nick F. (teen) recommend that book]
Nessa Stubblefield
It had a few interesting facts, but mostly, it was a bunch of common since things for us zombie fans.
Aracely gonzalez
good and awesome book
Adam
Jan 29, 2010 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I only read some of it, and it was very informative, but some of the religous stuff I didnt agree with the author.
Carly Chameleon
Carly Chameleon rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Brian Callahan
Brian Callahan rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2010
ALISON MOORHEAD
ALISON MOORHEAD rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2015
Gustavo Garnero
Gustavo Garnero rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2017
Barbara Wilkans
Barbara Wilkans rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2014
jeremy pollard
jeremy pollard rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
carmie
carmie rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2009
Astri
Astri rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2009
Chayce
Chayce rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2016
alicia croy
alicia croy rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2015
Branwynne
Branwynne rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2010
Austin Bertke
Austin Bertke rated it did not like it
Mar 15, 2015
Veronica
Veronica rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2014
  • The Zen of Zombie: Better Living Through the Undead
  • The Undead and Philosophy: Chicken Soup for the Soulless
  • Lady Mechanika, Vol.1: the Mystery of Mechanical Corpse
119378
BOB CURRAN is an educational psychologist in Coleraine University. His interests are broad-ranging but are focused especially on history and story. He has written several books, including The Field Guide to Irish Fairies, The Wolfhound Guide to the Shamrock, Creatures of Celtic Myth, The Truth about the Leprechaun.
More about Bob Curran...