Start by marking “The World's Creepiest Places” as Want to Read:
The World's Creepiest Places

The World's Creepiest Places

There are some places in the world where humans quite simply should not go. Not just haunted places, but sites where ancient forces still hold sway. We can recognize such locations by the responses they evoke within us—that feeling we call "the creeps." But just where are these places, and why do they terrify us?

In The World's Creepiest Places, Dr. Curran visits some of th
Published April 24th 2012 by New Page Books (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The World's Creepiest Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World's Creepiest Places

Jessica
Oct 15, 2014 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF at page 166. SO. BORING. This was 99% droning, boring, history of menial buildings, and 1% "hey one person said they thought they saw a shadow!". Even the history portion I can usually appreciate, but this was completely blah. I just couldn't finish.
Kari
May 28, 2014 Kari rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skimmed
This was just an OK read for me. Not what I was expecting.
Kristi Bernard
Dec 08, 2011 Kristi Bernard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When we think of creepy places like graveyards, decrepit churches and abandoned castles, we often feel a chill run down our spines. We ask ourselves if ghosts, goblins, vampires and demons really exist. Do people that visit these places really see these things or is it just a figment of their imagination? Dr. Bob Curran traveled all around the world to find places where hauntings and tales of the night are told from one generation to the next. Readers are enlightened by his tales of discovery.

Ba
Diayll
Jun 16, 2012 Diayll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally Reviewed at: Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating:4.5 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source:NetGalley
Reviewer:Heather

The World’s Creepiest Places is a rather fun, and interesting compilation of, you guessed it, the world’s creepiest places. This has been rather exciting for me to read, because I love both the paranormal as well as history. Even if you’re not a heavy reader, each place is about a chapter long, so you can read up at your own pace.

What I really enjoyed was the perspective the author to
Ashley
Interesting stories, written in a somewhat meandering way. Marred by the lax editing common for books of this type, with missing commas changing the meaning of sentences, information repeated twice in the same paragraph, and other errors and sloppy stylistic choices that result in a book that is much harder to read than it needs to be.
Some editing errors cause serious doubts about the author's credibility: how can I trust that he is relating the actual legends about a place when he makes claims
Donna
Jun 03, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who does not like to be frightened? Why do we all stand in line to ride the 'thrill' rides at amusement parks?
This book does not disappoint. Bob Curran delivers a wonderful compilation of the 'creepiest places' around the world. He explains the folklore of each place in an objective manner.

He begins the book with a story of a decrepit home near his apartment. It is a worn down old house. He is led to believe a murder may have taken place there. After this information, the author explains that
Kat
May 04, 2012 Kat rated it it was ok
The book contains 25 scary destinations in 25 chapters. Out of those 25, only 5 take place in the USA. Now, I get it the book is titled “WORLD’s” Creepiest Places. But I assumed there would be more taking place in the USA. Why is this a big deal to me? Well, in my experience, when a scary story takes place in another country it usually takes place anywhere between the 1500’s - 1900 and includes in depth history lessons with tons of names of people and places I just cannot retain.

Out of the 25 s
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/mini-rev...

Intriguing book about, well, as the title suggests, the creepiest places in the world. The author goes into great detail, offering history and background story for each of the locations. I liked that the book didn’t limited itself to the USA, but instead focused on creepy places all over the world.
Susan Jo Grassi
Mar 08, 2015 Susan Jo Grassi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my bedtime book. I read a chapter a night, when I could. I had heard of many of the places mentioned but some were totally new to me. I love books like this. You may not want to read this at bedtime but I encourage to give it a try. There are some very interesting, creepy stories in here.
Matthew Holman
It's an alright book. The only real issue I had was that the author, at times, spent more time and detail talking about the history and background of each haunted site instead of talking about the haunting and ghosts themselves.
Abbey
Aug 03, 2013 Abbey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of fascinating stories - fun to read if only for the history.
Mary
Aug 01, 2012 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover and the title do not do this book justice.
Michele
Jul 16, 2013 Michele rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghosts
I don't know why I didn't love this book - it's usually the kind of thing I love. It just didn't keep my interest.
Jen Fish
Very interesting! Focused on the history and folklore of the locations. The book itself was not creepy...
Cynthia Egbert
Nothing overwhelmingly great but a fun book to read about areas of the world that I am curious about.
Naomi
Oct 30, 2012 Naomi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this read was OK...sort of your typical "haunted" book. Again, just a dime a dozen read. At least the writing was good on this one though.
Lily
Lily rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2014
Siri
Siri rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2013
John Reed
John Reed rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2014
Brian Joynt
Brian Joynt rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2017
Karolis
Karolis rated it did not like it
Mar 24, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2012
Janie
Janie rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was ok
May 19, 2015
Sydney Squidney
Sydney Squidney rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2012
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2011
Kaylyn Ragland
Kaylyn Ragland rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2015
Rheeanne75
Rheeanne75 rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2014
Angie
Angie rated it it was ok
Oct 03, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
119378
BOB CURRAN is an educational psychologist in Coleraine University. His interests are broad-ranging but are focused especially on history and story. He has written several books, including The Field Guide to Irish Fairies, The Wolfhound Guide to the Shamrock, Creatures of Celtic Myth, The Truth about the Leprechaun.
More about Bob Curran...