Encyclopedia of the Undead: A Field Guide to the Creatures that Cannot Rest in Peace

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  14 reviews
What lurks out there in the fog? What was that eerie sound in the dead of night? What flitted by at the end of the street, just beyond the farthest street lamp? From earliest times, tales of the restless dead and their fellow travellers have terrified mankind. Whether around a remote campfire or in the middle of a bustling city, the unquiet spirits and attendant creatures...more
Published April 24th 2012 by New Page Books (first published January 20th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Encyclopedia of the Undead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia of the Undead

Jazelle
This is a really informative book on the "Undead" creatures with a specific focus on vampires, zombies, werewolves, golems, and the works of H.P. Lovecraft.

The drawings are phenomenal. The writing style however, was very objective; almost like a thesis, which sometimes makes it boring. There were also several notable grammatical/ spelling mistakes. Other than that, I like this book because of the interesting pieces of trivia that I garnered from it and the memorable stories that are worth mentio...more
Chris
I have always been intrigued by the undead. I love zombie and vampire films and have quite a collection at home. This book is a great companion to those who wish to know more about the history of these mythical creatures (including vampires, zombies, ghouls, werewolves and others) and why perhaps their legends were created in the first place.

One of the most attractive things about the Encyclopedia is that it doesn't, at any point, attempt to convince the reader that these creatures are real. It...more
Alex Dove
While the book had a lot of very interesting information it did not live up to its title or description. When reading an encyclopedia of anything it is expected that there will be some background information and the like, but that's all that this book is. This is never more apparent than in the section about H.P. Lovecraft. Not once are the creatures from the mythology listed out, or described, rather they are casually mentioned while the author describes the influences on Lovecraft's writing. O...more
Sophie Avett
I did enjoy this little book, and I did use to help craft my zombies. HOWEVER, there are parts of this book that simply don't belong grouped with the rest. Frankly, vampires have no business being in this book and the information offered is broad and a little limited because of that. This is definitely a beginners book, but one I recommend none the less. It has been useful for "ghouls" and "zombie" creation. In terms of how it's set up, it is NOT set up encyclopedia style like it claims. It is m...more
Brian Callahan
The chapter on H.P. Lovecraft was especially interesting to me.
Sarai
Jun 26, 2008 Sarai rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: research buffs, paranormal writers
Recommended to Sarai by: amazon
Shelves: howto-research, own
Well I finally worked myself through this book which was very interesting. It took the basic myths surrounding vampires and broke them down into regions. THen explained why the stories were formed and how each country added to each myth. Then in the back of the book it discussed other creatures such as werewolves and demons very interesting in the historical sense. I do recommend it for a different take on vampires *g*
Marlee
Felt like being in a B movie. Not too sure about the information given, went against quite a bit I already knew. Not to mention are Werewolves really undead? I never thought so but they have a section in the book which I didn't even want to read.

Over all it was entertaining but nothing like(?) an encyclopedia, it was about the people who did it not what much history of these "lost" arts or what it was about.
Tracie
Badly mistitled. Since when are werewolves considered undead? There was a lot of incorrect information, especially in the section on zombies and voodoo. Poorly researched and no citation. Someone with a doctorate should know not to produce this sort of drivel. I've had first year students turn in better researched and written papers. There was a lot of filler.
Metagion
I liked this book because they gave you background about things "that go bump in the night" and the different types of these creatures, like vampires, zombies, ghouls, etc. Good read if you want information on these creatures.
Marcus
While it tends to drag a bit at times, the history of various spooks and monsters was pretty interesting overall. I particularly enjoyed the parts about vampires and the HP Lovecraft mythos.
Stu
A fun book in places, but lacks references and any kind of factual rigor. I have the feeling that there are some great "stories behind the stories" here; it's a shame Curran didn't point them out.
Alina
I love reading about all sort of "night creatures" and I also love the artwork from this book!Worth having it among your favourite books!
Mary
This book has some accounts of supernatural events from history. The book is not much of an encyclopedia.
Tina Cousins
Brilliantly written scripts on vampire folklore around the world.
Kara Moore
Kara Moore marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Ginnie Grant
Ginnie Grant marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Andreea Gheghes
Andreea Gheghes is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2014
Samantha Silver
Samantha Silver marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
James Baker
James Baker marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Carol Briseno
Carol Briseno marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Chrissy
Chrissy marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Terri Barker
Terri Barker marked it as to-read
Ghost
Ghost added it
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
  • The Encyclopedia of Vampires, Werewolves, and Other Monsters
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • The Vampire Encyclopedia
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2, 500 Deities of the World
  • Unexplained!: Strange Sightings, Incredible Occurrences & Puzzling Physical Phenomena
  • Encyclopedia of Haunted Places: Ghostly Locales from Around the World
  • Zombie Movies: The Ultimate Guide
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Ghosts & Hauntings : The Ultimate A-Z of Spirits, Mysteries and the Paranormal
  • Vampires and Vampirism
  • Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods & Goddesses
  • Encyclopedia Horrifica: Terrifying Truth About Vampires, Ghosts, Monsters, and More
  • A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels and Other Subversive Spirits
  • Encyclopedia of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, & Other Supernatural Creatures
  • Deathbringer
  • Fantasy Encyclopedia
  • Ghosts Caught on Film: Photographs of the Paranormal
  • The Encyclopedia of Demons and Demonology
  • Book of the Dead: The Complete History of Zombie Movies: The Complete History of Zombie Cinema
BOB CURRAN is an educational psychologist in Coleraine University. His interests are broad-ranging but are focused especially on history and story. He has written several books, including The Field Guide to Irish Fairies, The Wolfhound Guide to the Shamrock, Creatures of Celtic Myth, The Truth about the Leprechaun.
More about Bob Curran...
Vampires: A Field Guide to the Creatures That Stalk the Night Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead Werewolves: A Field Guide to Shapeshifters, Lycanthropes, and Man-Beasts A Field Guide to Irish Fairies Bloody Irish: Great Irish Vampire Stories