Start by marking “Encyclopedia of the Undead: A Field Guide to the Creatures that Cannot Rest in Peace” as Want to Read:

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  15 reviews
What lurks out there in the fog? What was that eerie sound in the dead of night? What flitted by at the end of the street, just beyond the farthest street lamp? From earliest times, tales of the restless dead and their fellow travellers have terrified mankind. Whether around a remote campfire or in the middle of a bustling city, the unquiet spirits and attendant creatures ...more
Published April 24th 2012 by New Page Books (first published January 20th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Encyclopedia of the Undead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia of the Undead

Chris
I have always been intrigued by the undead. I love zombie and vampire films and have quite a collection at home. This book is a great companion to those who wish to know more about the history of these mythical creatures (including vampires, zombies, ghouls, werewolves and others) and why perhaps their legends were created in the first place.

One of the most attractive things about the Encyclopedia is that it doesn't, at any point, attempt to convince the reader that these creatures are real. It
Alex Dove
While the book had a lot of very interesting information it did not live up to its title or description. When reading an encyclopedia of anything it is expected that there will be some background information and the like, but that's all that this book is. This is never more apparent than in the section about H.P. Lovecraft. Not once are the creatures from the mythology listed out, or described, rather they are casually mentioned while the author describes the influences on Lovecraft's writing. O ...more
Sophie Avett
I did enjoy this little book, and I did use to help craft my zombies. HOWEVER, there are parts of this book that simply don't belong grouped with the rest. Frankly, vampires have no business being in this book and the information offered is broad and a little limited because of that. This is definitely a beginners book, but one I recommend none the less. It has been useful for "ghouls" and "zombie" creation. In terms of how it's set up, it is NOT set up encyclopedia style like it claims. It is m ...more
Teresa
Was inspired to write a flash fiction piece, The Grave.
Jazelle
This is a really informative book on the "Undead" creatures with a specific focus on vampires, zombies, werewolves, golems, and the works of H.P. Lovecraft.

The drawings are phenomenal. The writing style however, was very objective; almost like a thesis, which sometimes makes it boring. There were also several notable grammatical/ spelling mistakes. Other than that, I like this book because of the interesting pieces of trivia that I garnered from it and the memorable stories that are worth mentio
Sarai
Jun 26, 2008 Sarai rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: research buffs, paranormal writers
Recommended to Sarai by: amazon
Shelves: howto-research, own
Well I finally worked myself through this book which was very interesting. It took the basic myths surrounding vampires and broke them down into regions. THen explained why the stories were formed and how each country added to each myth. Then in the back of the book it discussed other creatures such as werewolves and demons very interesting in the historical sense. I do recommend it for a different take on vampires *g*
Marlee
Felt like being in a B movie. Not too sure about the information given, went against quite a bit I already knew. Not to mention are Werewolves really undead? I never thought so but they have a section in the book which I didn't even want to read.

Over all it was entertaining but nothing like(?) an encyclopedia, it was about the people who did it not what much history of these "lost" arts or what it was about.
Tracie
Badly mistitled. Since when are werewolves considered undead? There was a lot of incorrect information, especially in the section on zombies and voodoo. Poorly researched and no citation. Someone with a doctorate should know not to produce this sort of drivel. I've had first year students turn in better researched and written papers. There was a lot of filler.
Metagion
I liked this book because they gave you background about things "that go bump in the night" and the different types of these creatures, like vampires, zombies, ghouls, etc. Good read if you want information on these creatures.
Marcus
While it tends to drag a bit at times, the history of various spooks and monsters was pretty interesting overall. I particularly enjoyed the parts about vampires and the HP Lovecraft mythos.
Stu
A fun book in places, but lacks references and any kind of factual rigor. I have the feeling that there are some great "stories behind the stories" here; it's a shame Curran didn't point them out.
Alina
I love reading about all sort of "night creatures" and I also love the artwork from this book!Worth having it among your favourite books!
Mary
This book has some accounts of supernatural events from history. The book is not much of an encyclopedia.
Tina Cousins
Brilliantly written scripts on vampire folklore around the world.
Brian Callahan
The chapter on H.P. Lovecraft was especially interesting to me.
Eddy
Eddy marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Sheri
Sheri marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Rachel Vorster
Rachel Vorster marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Anthony Torres
Anthony Torres marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Tammy Davis
Tammy Davis marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
  • The Encyclopedia of Vampires, Werewolves, and Other Monsters
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Ghosts & Hauntings : The Ultimate A-Z of Spirits, Mysteries and the Paranormal
  • Poltergeist! (Fate Presents)
  • Zombie Movies: The Ultimate Guide
  • Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods & Goddesses
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World
  • Encyclopedia Horrifica: Terrifying Truth About Vampires, Ghosts, Monsters, and More
  • Encyclopedia of Haunted Places: Ghostly Locales from Around the World
  • Unexplained!: Strange Sightings, Incredible Occurrences & Puzzling Physical Phenomena
  • A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels and Other Subversive Spirits
  • The Vampire Encyclopedia
  • A Dictionary of Superstitions
  • Encyclopedia of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, & Other Supernatural Creatures
  • Vampires and Vampirism
  • Your Neighborhood Gives Me the Creeps: True Tales of an Accidental Ghost Hunter
  • The Mythical Creatures Bible: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Mythical Creatures
  • Fantasy Encyclopedia
119378
BOB CURRAN is an educational psychologist in Coleraine University. His interests are broad-ranging but are focused especially on history and story. He has written several books, including The Field Guide to Irish Fairies, The Wolfhound Guide to the Shamrock, Creatures of Celtic Myth, The Truth about the Leprechaun.
More about Bob Curran...
Vampires: A Field Guide to the Creatures That Stalk the Night Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead Werewolves: A Field Guide to Shapeshifters, Lycanthropes, and Man-Beasts Lost Lands, Forgotten Realms: Sunken Continents, Vanished Cities, and the Kingdoms That History Misplaced A Field Guide to Irish Fairies