Start by marking “Fun House” as Want to Read:
Fun House

Fun House (John Ceepak Mystery #7)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  479 ratings  ·  83 reviews
The latest novel in the award-winning John Ceepak mystery series, set on the Jersey Shore

What if a reality TV show like Jersey Shore set up production in the fictional seaside resort Sea Haven? What if hitting the gym, tanning, and doing a little laundry aren’t the only things the contestants get into?By-the-book officer John Ceepak and his wisecracking young partner, Dann
Published May 1st 2012 by Pegasus Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fun House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fun House

Elizabeth
I got home from work at 4:30 and began reading at 4:31 and started to have fun in minutes. What do politicians and reality TV show actors have in common? They live in fantasy land! And this is certainly the case for the typical denizens of a house in a New Jersey beach resort who are being manipulated in every way possible by a TV crew for a reality show called Fun House. This is done to bring out out the worst characteristics of these young people and to engage the emotions of the viewing audie ...more
Jackie
I am a huge fan of Chris Grabenstein’s “John Ceepak” mystery series. Since the very beginning in TILT A WHIRL, I have been following Danny Boyle, your average 20-Something working a summer gig as an auxiliary cop, and his honest, dignified and unshakeable military trained mentor/partner, John Ceepak.

With each book in the series, we return to Sea Haven, New Jersey: the place to be when summer rolls around. Sea Haven has it all: the beach, the restaurants, the amusement park and of course, murder
Chris
Apr 20, 2012 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Here's what some critics wrote...

"'Sunny, funderful' Sea Haven, New Jersey, is having a great season, thanks in large part to Fun House, a reality TV show that borrows the worst parts of Jersey Shore and Survivor. Police officers John Ceepak and Danny Boyle have become accidental TV stars by arresting a drunken Paulie "The Thing" Braciole, a self-identified "Guido" from Staten Island whose signature move is twitching his massive, steroid- enhanced pecs. But then Paulie is murdered. Ceepak and Bo
Katie
Kind of a let down in the department of the normally fantastic, winding, original stories of Ceepak and Boyle by Grabenstein. I've always liked all of the Ceepak books, but this one is.. different.
I've gotta say- though the allusion to the real life, hyped up media of Jersey Shore was entertaining, I didn't like the loss of character originality that Grabenstein can normally so well craft. I'm sure it was all too tempting to tie in a famous show called "Jersey Shore" to the set in the books of t
Kevintipple
The last thing police officers Danny Boyle and his partner wanted to be were some kind of celebrity jokes. However, thanks to the alcoholic fueled antics of contestants in a The Jersey Shore type reality show that is what they have become. Thanks to a recent widely publicized incident Ceepak and Boyle have not only been on television, but now also have the T-shirts to prove it.

It has also brought them to the attention of the show’s producer Marty Mandrake. Seeking to make his version of good TV
Patty
I love all of the various series that Chris Grabenstein writes but have to admit that my favorite is the Ceepak and Boyle series.

In this episode a "Reality Show" has invaded the Jersey Shore. Ceepak and Danny are assigned to manage local security for the crazies who star on this wacky show. The cast consists of a bunch of 20-somethings who drink lots of beer, throw up said beer, and run around having sex with each other or anyone else they can get their hooks into. When one of the stars is found
Melissa
I really like this series...wise-cracking local boy Danny and his by the book serious partner John Ceepak are a perfect combination. But his book was just too much of a rip-off of Jersey Shore for me to enjoy.

"What if a reality TV show like Jersey Shore set up production in the fictional seaside resort Sea Haven? What if hitting the gym, tanning, and doing a little laundry aren't the only things the contestants get into? By-the-book officer John Ceepak and his wisecracking young partner, Danny B
Alicia Rasley
I listened to the audiobook, and the narrator was good-- young, Jersey-accented but very subtly.

I enjoyed this because I love to see reality TV as a plotting device. The contrast between the fake and the real is explored here, where murder is appreciated as leading to higher ratings.

I especially liked how the final scene (in a Fun House, of course) was set up throughout the book, so that when it happens, it's clearly just the right place, and the motif of "fake/reality" is enhanced by the fun h
Susan
I love this book. I am very happy to say I have never seen "Jersey Shore", so I don't have the same criticisms as many of the other reviewers. I just know this book was very funny, I actually laughed out-loud quite a few times. Danny is just the right combination of youthful exuberance and snarky commentator. His views and editorial comments about the "reality show" contestants are not only right-on, but funny and illuminating too. This was a fun read, and I'm very glad I took the time to read i ...more
Marsha
This was fun. It was one of the John Ceepak mysteries loosely based on carnival rides and features. I've read (listened to) the other 6, and I get a true kick out of them. I don't know how to indicate a book that I've message to (unabridged, of course :-)) versus 1 that I am actually reading (The Good Lawyer). It being that I can only actually read about one book a month (I read slowly, and after about an hour, my eyes don't focus anymore). Anyway, I recommend the John Ceepak books by Chris Grab ...more
judy
It was inevitable that Jersey Shore would mar our funtastic days. No way could the author avoid it. Thankfully, he didn't subject us to lengthy contacts with the characters--still it was not quite as delightful as the previous Ceepak mysteries. My favorite part of these books is Ceepak being Ceepak. He was Ceepak in this, of course, but I felt we were a tad short on Ceepakian moments. Note to author: we will gladly forgive you if Hurricane Sandy completely skips our beloved Sea Haven.
Linda
Chris Grabenstein has created a remarkably fun series with John Ceepak patrolling the Jersey shore. This is the seventh book in the series and while each of them stand alone quite well, I recommend reading them from book one (Tilt-A-Whirl) all the way through for more enjoyment and the pleasure of watching the characters develop. In the current installment a reality television show is being filmed in the little beach town of Sea Haven and pandemonium (and murder) ensues. Highly recommended.
Susan
May 04, 2012 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Janet Ingraham-Dwyer
Although this may not be as suspenseful--or as violent--as some of the earlier novels about John Ceepak, it's still an enjoyable trip back to Sea Haven, a summer resort which is currently hosting a reality television show (sound familiar?) with obnoxious young people being filmed virtually 24/7 in a rented house. When Ceepak arrests one of the men for a few minor offenses, the producer decides there's ratings gold in adding a police element to the show. But death intervenes.
Dorie
John Ceepak and his partner Danny Boyle take on the stars of a reality show set in their town of Sea Haven. This book was a fun read and as expected the stars of the reality show were self-centered and egotistical, making me want to give them a good smack most of the time. It was funny watching "by-the-book" Ceepak trying to communicate with the reality stars and their producer. Danny has come a long way since the first book in this series.
Terri
As always, Chris Grabenstein delivers. While this book moved a bit slower than the others, it is still very enjoyable, and you like the good guys. To have a very straight-laced detective paired with a young smart-alec (who is willing to learn) was a great idea. Here's hoping there's more to come.
Brian
San Francisco has Dashell Hammet; Los Angeles Raymond Chandler, and now the Jersey Shore Chris Grabenstein. While Sea Haven may lack the noir charm of 40's LA and John Ceepak's moral compass is truer than Sam Spade's, Grabenstein's latest effort is a welcome addition to the John Ceepak series.
Victoria
At first I was let down by this latest John Ceepak novel because it was so JERSEY SHORE-ish, but then, these books are set at the Jersey shore. And by the end, it was another satisfying tale of John Ceepak and Danny Boyle. (So glad I discovered this series through NOOK books!)
Andrew Reinhertz
Love the ceepak character and his honor code. Grabenstein does it again with fun house. Just when I thought I had it figured out, I read that I was wrong lol. Only downside is having to wait so long for the next ceepak book. Well done!
Cynthia Rielley
Sorry folks but I have a horrible literary crush on John Ceepak. Another great story, lots of fun.Characters that I feel are friends and a great plot, ripped from reality tv!! Sometimes it feels good to watch 'em squirm.
Dmehringer
Another wonderful book from Chris Grabenstein. Ceepak and Boyle are faced with a "Jersey Shore" type show being filmed in Sea Haven. Great timing and pacing, believable characters, and lots of shots at reality TV. Great read!
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: John Ceepak; a TV reality show is going on in Sea Haven, and when a contestant is murdered Ceepak and Boyle are on the case and battling TV fame
Joanne Kilroy
I love John Ceepak and Danny Boyle! The reality show angle was well done and extremely entertaining. I can't wait to read book #8.
Karen
I really enjoy the way that Chris Grabenstein writes - an easy read with humor. Gotta love Ceepak!
Leslie Angel
old friends Danny and Ceepak and dawnashore (New Jersey). Fun.
Patricia
An interesting addition to the series an hoping for more.

Carrie
Best use of stuffed Batman doll in a mystery
Tom
Fun read! Reality TV meets a mystery series!
EC
I've enjoyed all of this series.
Gloria Feit
The return, after a short hiatus, of John Ceepak and Danny Boyle, the odd couple cops in Sea Haven, NJ,, combines satire and murder mystery. Ceepak, of course, is the straight arrow, do-it-by-the book character, while Boyle serves as his junior partner, asking questions and narrating the tale. And what a story it is.

It seems a TV production company chooses that fictional seaside town to house its reality show, “Fun House,” in which six contestants vie for a quarter of million dollar prize. Unfor
Elizabeth A.
The seaside resort of Sea Haven, NJ has seen more than its fair share of murder and mayhem over the course of author Chris Grabenstein’s John Ceepak mystery series, but nothing officer John Ceepak and his partner Danny Boyle have experienced in their careers could have prepared them for the horror they must confront in Fun House… babysitting the contestants of a Jersey Shore style reality show.

Indeed, when “Fun House” (“Think Jersey Shore meets Big Brother meets Survivor.”) sets up shop in sunny
  • One Perfect Shot (Bill Gastner Mystery, #.05)
  • Empty Ever After (Moe Prager, #5)
  • Shoot to Thrill (Monkeewrench, #5)
  • The Rabbit Factory (Lomax & Biggs, #1)
  • On the Line (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #10)
  • Mangrove Squeeze
  • Rizzo's War (Joe Rizzo, #1)
  • Shadow Woman (Jane Whitefield, #3)
  • Death Without Company (Walt Longmire, #2)
  • Dirty Laundry (Sofie Metropolis, #2)
  • City of Lost Girls (Ed Loy, #5)
  • Baby Doll Games
  • Compound Murder: A Dan Rhodes Mystery (Dan Rhodes Mystery #20)
  • Child's Play (Dalziel & Pascoe, #9)
  • The Verge Practice (Brock & Kolla, #7)
  • A Deeper Darkness (Dr. Samantha Owens #1)
  • Cry Me a River
  • The Trail to Buddha's Mirror (Neal Carey, #2)
Chris Grabenstein is an award-winning author of books for children and adults, a playwright, screenwriter, and former advertising executive and improvisational comedian.

Winner of two Anthony and four Agatha Awards, he is also the co-author with James Patterson of The #1 New York Times bestseller I FUNNY.

A former writer for Jim Henson's Muppets and past president of the New York Chapter of the
More about Chris Grabenstein...

John Ceepak Mystery (8 books)
  • Tilt-a-Whirl (John Ceepak Mystery, #1)
  • Mad Mouse (John Ceepak Mystery, #2)
  • Whack A Mole (John Ceepak Mystery, #3)
  • Hell Hole (John Ceepak Mystery, #4)
  • Mind Scrambler (John Ceepak Mystery, #5)
  • Rolling Thunder (John Ceepak Mystery, #6)
  • Free Fall (John Ceepak Mystery #8)
Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library Tilt-a-Whirl (John Ceepak Mystery, #1) The Crossroads (Haunted Mystery, #1) Mad Mouse (John Ceepak Mystery, #2) Whack A Mole (John Ceepak Mystery, #3)