Start by marking “Rolling Thunder” as Want to Read:
Rolling Thunder

Rolling Thunder (John Ceepak Mystery #6)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  550 ratings  ·  55 reviews
There’s more fireworks down the Jersey Shore in Chris Grabenstein’s sixth fast-paced John Ceepak mystery.

A prominent citizen suffers a heart attack on the opening day of a brand-new boardwalk roller coaster in the seedy seaside resort town Sea Haven, New Jersey. Initially ruled a tragic accident, it isn’t long before there are suspicious hints of foul play—especially after
Published May 1st 2012 by Pegasus Books (first published May 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Rolling Thunder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rolling Thunder

Nikki
After a summer of audiobooks and a busy fall, I'm beginning to catch up on my reading and to get up to date on some of my favorite fictional characters. These would definitely include Danny Boyle and John Ceepak, local cops in "sunny, funderful" Sea Haven, NJ. Danny, who narrates the books, is a local boy who more or less drifted into police work. Under Ceepak's expert tutelage, Danny is becoming a better detective and a better man with every book in the series.

One thing that sets this series ap
Lesley
Thanks Chris Grabenstein... this was such a roller coaster of a read, lol! I really am glad the boys were back on the job at the Jersey Shore, Danny is funnier than ever and Ceepak is getting so lovable... married life has brought out the best in him! I listened to the audio version and I love the narrator, expecially doing the hip-hop slang of Sean, maybe my favorite side character in this book. This one is a winner!!!
Ralph
Another wonderful adventure with Danny Boyle, John Ceepak, and the rest of the regulars from Sea Haven. I have no idea why I picked my first Ceepak novel (Mind Scrambler) and when I first started reading it, I didn't know what to make of John and Danny. However, the characters and Sea Haven have quickly grown on me and I look forward to each new installment.

As always, the writing in "Rolling Thunder" is crisp and humorous while at the same time maintaining a high degree of suspense and thrills.
Mark Baker
Ceepak and Danny are back on the beat in the resort town of Sea Haven, New Jersey! This go around, a woman dies on the first run of the town's new wooden roller coaster. It seems like nothing suspicious until a definitely murdered woman is found. Is there a connection? I love these characters, so it's always great to spend time with them. The story was entertaining with some nice twists and a nail bitter of an ending.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Ed
#6 in the John Ceepak series. John Ceepak and his partner Danny Boyle bring their unique brand of law enforcement to the New Jersey shore. Some day author Chris Grabenstein will run out of carnival attraction names for his series' titles - but I hope that will not slow down the series.

John Ceepak and Danny Boyle begin to doubt whether Mrs. O'Malley died of natural causes after she suffers a fatal heart attack during the grand opening of her husband's roller coaster. Then the dismembered body of
Janet
Absolutely terrific mystery/crime series for readers who enjoy some twists & turns and equal parts suspense and humor. I picked it up early on, when book 1 (Tilt A Whirl) was just out. The hook for me was the expertly-drawn Jersey Shore setting, but the packed, well-paced stories and - especially - the intriguing protagonists are the real attractions. By book 6 in the series, Grabenstein is definitely working a formula, but it's a really good one. I hope it is good for quite a few more books ...more
Elizabeth A.
“I used to round up shopping carts in the parking lot at Wal-Mart. Then I met Ceepak and life’s been one big roller coaster ride ever since.” – Danny Boyle

Officer Danny Boyle isn’t the only one going for a roller coaster ride in Rolling Thunder, the sixth entry in author Chris Grabenstein’s John Ceepak/Jersey Shore mystery series. Memorial Day weekend in Sea Haven, New Jersey finds Danny and his partner, John Ceepak, working crowd control at the grand opening of the Rolling Thunder roller coaste
Brianne Jaure
Rolling Thunder, by Chris Grabenstein, is a mystery novel that constantly leaves the reader wondering what will happen next. This mystery is full of suspense and has many twists that will often surprise the audience. Rolling Thunder, a John Ceepak mystery, is the sixth book in the series, taking place in Sea Haven, New Jersey. Although the plot revolves around solving the crimes of two possible homicides, the author manages to incorporate the right amount of humor, making the story even more int ...more
Patty
It is so much fun to fall back into the world of Ceepak and Boyle. The Jersey Shore is so vividly drawn that I would swear I've been there, except for the fact that I've never set foot in the state!

This time round Danny and Ceepak are at the grand opening of a new ride on the boardwalk, an old-fashioned wooden roller coaster called, you guessed it, Rolling Thunder. The owner and his family are taking the first ride and have just started into the second hill when the wife suffers a heart attack.
Spuddie
#6 John Ceepak/Danny Boyle mystery set in fictional Sea Haven on the Jersey Shore. Ceepak and Danny are working at the opening of the new boardwalk amusement, the Rolling Thunder, a gigantic wooden roller coaster. Excitement ensues when the wife of the owner has a heart attack during the inaugural ride, and even Ceepak performing CPR after climbing up the roller coaster tracks can't save her. Although some members of the dysfunctional O'Malley family don't seem to be too grief-stricken, there's ...more
Jodi
4.25 Stars. I so enjoy this series. This is another outing with John Ceepak and Danny Boyle, officers with the Sea Haven Police Department, a fictional Jersey shore town. Ceepak is a former marine back from Iraq, who has a moral code, takes his job seriously and quotes Springsteen. Boyle is his partner, who started as a summer auxiliary officer and is now a full-time officer. In this outing, the O'Malley's, who own a good chunk of the shore area, have rebuilt an amusement park which includes the ...more
Sharon
I love Danny Boyle, John Ceepak, and everybody in Sea Haven. Being a long-time vacationer at Sea Isle City, NJ, reading these books during the winter is a little taste of summer. Love this series and look forward to reading more. These always make me laugh out loud as I'm reading.
Viccy
John Ceepak and Danny Boyle are back in Sea Haven, NJ. The Rolling Thunder rollercoaster is opening on Pier 4 in sunny, funderful Sea Haven. But a heart attack mars the opening and soon Danny and Ceepak figure out it might not have been a heart attack, especially after they find the dismembered body of a beautiful young girl at the local party house used by Sea Haven's business elite. And then there's Ceepak's dad, out of jail in Ohio and harassing everyone he can find to annoy. Danny and Ceepak ...more
Mandy
Sheesh, I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again--no one is safe from being knocked off in this series. I enjoyed this one, and I like how Grabenstein tackles weightier matter with a good dose of humor.
Lou
Another great Ceepak mystery/thriller.
Sea Haven, NJ is center stage as a new roller coaster called "Rolling Thunder" opens in the town after a old boardwalk is torn down and rebuilt along with the roller coaster. A huge crowd has gathered for the opening day of the new roller coaster including Sea Haven's mayor and family. As the mayor, his wife, kids, and their friends take the first ride, the mayor's wife has a heart attack. Despite Ceepak'z best efforts, she dies. Although it is initially rul
LeeAnne
These books are just pure fun. This is the sixth in a series of mysteries featuring John Ceepak and his partner in fighting crime, Danny Boyle. Set in a seaside town on the Jersey Shore, you can smell the Coppertone and boardwalk food, and hear the sound of The Boss singing the soundtrack as Ceepak and Danny patrol the beaches and make the town safe for folks seeking fun, sun, and beer. The books are all very funny and I find the relationship between Ceepak and Danny to be quite touching. Don't ...more
Susan
Wisecracking narrator Danny Boyle and his straight-arrow partner John Ceepak try to save a locally prominent person who is dying on a new roller coaster. What a way to start the Memorial Day weekend! But things get worse when a local beauty is found very dead, and some Sea Haven bigwigs are implicated. Ceepak's ex-con father arrives in town, looking for his ex-wife, or more exactly her money, and harassing Ceepak's new family to get the information he wants. Things are going to get scarier befor ...more
Tinav
Possibly the finest entry in the series so far. The growth of young Danny Boyle, as a cop and an adult male, is proceeding with perfect pitch and a genuine understanding of an American boy-man in his early 20s. And the way Grabenstein builds a genuinely interesting murder case while moving along the growth and relationships of his ongoing characters, is just great.

I love the way Seahaven continues to be portrayed; that we see the public front and behind the scenes of our sunny NJ shore town, and
Ben
Okay. Now I've gone and finished the series. Poop!
I love how the books have become better, and better. Plus, getting to know Ceepak and Danny better with each book has been fun... like following along someone's life. Danny has really grown into a good police officer, and Ceepak is on the verge of becoming the department's first detective. I can't wait for the next one to see where they go next! Great series of books, if you like police mystery. A little on the adult side, tho... so be careful wi
Melissa
Back to the Jersey shore and it's boardwalk roller coasters for book #6.

"There’s more fireworks down the Jersey shore in Chris Grabenstein’s sixth fast-paced John Ceepak mystery Rolling Thunder. A prominent citizen suffers a heart attack on opening day of a brand new boardwalk roller coaster in the seedy seaside resort town Sea Haven, New Jersey. Initially ruled a tragic accident, it isn’t long before there are suspicious hints of foul play—especially after another dead body is discovered: a stu
John Kues
I like these Ceepak mysteries, but they follow a formula that I am tiring of, and they have a lot of typos, and other errors, so I think I am done with them for the time being. I tire of the private P I that is always battling the bottle, in this series it is the opposite end of the spectrum, the Johnny do right main character, which is a nice change of pace from the norm, but the villans are stamped out of sameness. I may be reading too many mysteries...
Lynne
This series is always pleasant, one reason being that it's modeled on Long Beach Island, our former summer vacation spot. It's gussied up some, of course, with some fancy amusement parks and even a boardwalk, but the main characters are always easy to take: a young guy who grew up there and knows everyone and has become a cop and his mentor, a straight-arrow cop who cannot tell a lie and is all about honor. These books are always fun--and funny.
Kathy
Listened to this book and it was hilarious. The narrator was great at voicing the characters to the point where I often laughed out loud. It is a tongue in cheek police procedural and a story set on the New Jersey shore at an amusement park resort. The story has the same kind of Carl Haaison twists, though a little milder on the craziness. Really enjoyed listening to it but i cannot be sure I would feel the same way had I read it.
Dorie
Another great entry in an entertaining series. I love Ceepak and Danny (Ceepak Jr.) This case has the two following up on the suspicious death of the wife of the owner of the new roller coaster ride, Rolling Thunder. Her death is determined to be a heart attack, but then the girlfriend of the coaster owner is found dismembered. I love how in these books Danny seems to be everyone's friend or "buddy".
judy
How can you not love a book about cops that begins "The day starts like so many others with John Ceepak. We bust an eight-year-old girl for wearing high heels". This is a Jersey Shore for literate people. The saga of Dudley Do-Right (Ceepak) and his partner, former beach boy and Sea Haven native, Danny is as delightful as ever. Great fun and good mysteries. A favorite.
Ivan
I feel like I'm one of the few that did not really love this story as much as the others in the series. It sometimes felt a little blah at some points, but the last 100 pages were so fast paced and full of action I could not stop reading. The twist in this one was not as shocking though. Still a good addition to Ceepak's adventures and I liked it.
Suzanne
May 26, 2010 Suzanne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes humor and mysteries
Shelves: mysteries
I so love this series and this book just really "hit the spot" for our segue into summer. There were quite a few "gotchas" in the plot, which I always love. The last few chapters were very suspenseful!

Sigh, I'll probably have to wait until next year to read another one of these!
Jen
I love John Ceepak and Danny Boyle. What can I say? Fourth book in a fun little mystery series. WWCD (What would Ceepak do?...seen on the author's website) is my new motto. :-) I only listen to them on audio as the narrator is OUTSTANDING, one of the best I've heard.
Joanne
Ah, Ceepak and Danny are back down the shore. Bad guys beware. So glad this series found a new publisher; I'd hate to not be able to read about their adventures in a fictionalized Long Beach Island. This is the Jersey Shore that deserves attention, not the TV version.
Dawn
I really, really liked this book. About 2 cops, set in Sea Haven, New Jersey. Plot is believable, and yet humor is injected throughout. Will read more of these books, all have ride theme titles - Tilt A Whirl, Mad Mouse, Whack a Mole, Hell Hole and Mind Scrambles.
  • Eyes of the Innocent (Carter Ross Mystery #2)
  • Unknown Means
  • Leader of the Pack
  • Mr. Monk is Cleaned Out (Mr. Monk, #10)
  • Line Of Vision
  • Flipping Out (Lomax & Biggs, #3)
  • Cold Truth (Lou Mason Mystery, #3)
  • For Whom the Minivan Rolls (Aaron Tucker Mystery #1)
  • All My Enemies (Brock & Kolla, #3)
Chris Grabenstein is an award-winning author of books for children and adults, a playwright, screenwriter, and former advertising executive and improvisational comedian.

Winner of two Anthony and four Agatha Awards, he is also the co-author with James Patterson of The #1 New York Times bestseller I FUNNY.

A former writer for Jim Henson's Muppets and past president of the New York Chapter of the
More about Chris Grabenstein...
Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library Tilt-a-Whirl (John Ceepak Mystery, #1) The Crossroads (Haunted Mystery, #1) Mad Mouse (John Ceepak Mystery, #2) Whack A Mole (John Ceepak Mystery, #3)