Start by marking “Customer Centricity: Focus on the Right Customers for Strategic Advantage” as Want to Read:
Customer Centricity: Focus on the Right Customers for Strategic Advantage

Customer Centricity: Focus on the Right Customers for Strategic Advantage

Not all customers are created equal.

Despite what the tired old adage says, the customer is not always right. Not all customers deserve your best efforts: in the world of customer centricity, there are good customers…and then there is pretty much everybody else.

Upending some of our most fundamental beliefs, renowned behavioral data expert Peter Fader, Co-Director of The Wha
Published May 15th 2012 by Wharton Digital Press (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Customer Centricity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Customer Centricity

Camille Fabre
Dec 28, 2015 Camille Fabre rated it it was ok
Peter, a marketing professor at Wharton, is a specialist of customer analytics and has spent his academic years on research on customer data and statistical models. Unfortunately none of his research is reflected in this book. Peter Fader defines customer centricity as a strategy that aligns a company's development and delivery of its products/services with the current/future needs of a select set of customers. We are more familiar with the product-centric model, the best example of this ...more
Kirsten O
Sep 07, 2016 Kirsten O rated it did not like it
Was immediately turned off when he made a sweeping generalization about my generation backed up by a single anecdote: "I have two teenage children, so I can speak with authority when I say today's kids are spoiled. They are the most demanding generation the world has ever seen.... They have no patience whatsoever, they want what they want immediately. And they don't care how they get what they want, as long as they get it when they want it and in the format they want it."

Pretty sure you just des
Chris Ross
Oct 17, 2016 Chris Ross rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audio book and it is short, sweet, and to the point and it is outstanding and spot-on.

The book starts by the famous or infamous Nordstrom story about a customer in their Fairbanks, Alaska store (I did not know they had a store in Fairbanks and I have been to Fairbanks a dozen times) who returned some used snow tires and they don't sell snow tires. Fader calls this a bad decision on Nordstrom's part and based on Customer Centricity I agree.

The book talks about collecting data a
Jason
Oct 27, 2016 Jason rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the ideas presented in this book - however the book felt more like a sales pitch for the next book that would go more in depth into the ideas presented in the book. There were more case studies of where the ideas hadn't been applied than where it had been successfully applied.
Ethan
Aug 31, 2014 Ethan rated it really liked it
Customer Centricity is written for the executive rather than the daily practitioner. For this audience it succeeds - limited to a few key topics, brief enough to be read on a plane trip, free of academic jargon, supported with numbers just enough to get ideas across.

Fader's key points are provocative and even counter to convention - that customer centricity is different from customer service, that product-centric organizational structures lead to diminished profitability, that traditional Custo
Brian Stricker
Dec 31, 2013 Brian Stricker rated it really liked it
Despite common impression that Nordstrom's is customer centric (based on their quality customer service), Fader argues they're not-- such companies calculate a Customer Lifetime Value, recognizing groups of customers are different, and then provide the best service to those with the highest value.

Good, quick read, and definitely worth your time if considering moving from a product-centric culture. Great that he also identified companies that may NOT be good candidates for customer centricity as
Matt
Oct 13, 2012 Matt rated it liked it
Shelves: biz-reads
I saw Fader speak at an event and grabbed a copy of the book there. It's a slim book that outlines the idea of becoming an organization focused on (the right) customers, pretty much a 10,000 foot overview. Fader mentioned during his talk that he consults, and this book seemed like a long brochure for his consulting work. You won't find much tactical help here, but it will at least get you thinking differently about how you handle customers.
Katharine
I'm the wrong reader for this book

I was hoping that this book would be a practical book for me as an independent author. While it was a fast read, and theoretically sound, I think it was meant for businesses bigger than mine. The bottom line, however, is that our first goal in business is always relationships. Couldn't agree more.
Javier Andrés Montaño Guzmán
Un excelente abre boca para la organización cliente centrista

Excelente redacción y estilo. Muy interesante para el desarrollo de la organización y el diseño de la misma. Sin embargo, no logra ahondar en aspectos técnicos de la teoría que defiende.
Alex Ng W H
Apr 14, 2015 Alex Ng W H rated it really liked it
Read this because came across this author in the Wharton Marketing MOOC on Coursera.
It exposes me what is important to a retailer, as it is not just customer retention or customer acquisition. The concept of customer lifetime value is very useful.
Saurabh Kumar
Jun 29, 2014 Saurabh Kumar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written. It would help if the book included some practical steps to implement the advised strategies.
Cesar Millan
Nov 15, 2015 Cesar Millan rated it did not like it
Real bad book about "Marketing", it is supposed to emphasized in Customer Centricity however it just highlight some point of it. I was a real disapointed book.
Sanketh Koka
The world has moved on since. The examples aren't relevant any more but the logic and theory is still relevant.
Viktoria
Viktoria rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2012
Emily Hsiao
Emily Hsiao rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Limundo
Limundo rated it it was ok
Aug 19, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2013
Ike
Ike rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2015
Shymaa El-deep
Shymaa El-deep rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2016
Ahmed
Ahmed rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2014
Guilherme Silveira
Guilherme Silveira rated it it was ok
Nov 01, 2015
Andrius Kalasinskas
Andrius Kalasinskas rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Joshua
Joshua rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2012
Michael Liu
Michael Liu rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Patricia
Patricia rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Benjamin Snipes
Benjamin Snipes rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2015
Anders Gustafson
Anders Gustafson rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Sundeep Kumar
Sundeep Kumar rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Effyzxw
Effyzxw rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Social State: Thoughts, Stats and Stories about the State of Social Media in 2013
  • Culturematic: How Reality TV, John Cheever, a Pie Lab, Julia Child, Fantasy Football . . . Will Help You Create and Execute Breakthrough Ideas
  • The Power of Impossible Thinking: Transform the Business of Your Life and the Life of Your Business [With CDROM]
  • Launch: How to Quickly Propel Your Business Beyond the Competition
  • Audience: Marketing in the Age of Subscribers, Fans and Followers
  • Weinberg on Writing: The Fieldstone Method
  • The Battle: How the Fight between Free Enterprise and Big Government Will Shape America's Future
  • The Playful Brain: The Surprising Science of How Puzzles Improve Your Mind
  • Make your Idea Matter
  • The Power of Unpopular: A Guide to Building Your Brand for the Audience Who Will Love You (and why no one else matters)
  • The Last Man Who Knew Everything: Thomas Young, the Anonymous Polymath Who Proved Newton Wrong, Explained How We See, Cured the Sick, and Deciphered the Rosetta Stone, Among Other Feats of Genius
  • Lead with a Story: A Guide to Crafting Business Narratives That Captivate, Convince, and Inspire
  • Work Like a Spy: Business Tips from a Former CIA Officer
  • 100 Things Every Presenter Needs to Know About People
  • The King's English: A Guide to Modern Usage
  • Amazing Things Will Happen: A Real-World Guide on Achieving Success and Happiness
  • Social Media ROI: Managing and Measuring Social Media Efforts in Your Organization
  • College: What it Was, Is, and Should Be