Start by marking “Knife Sworn (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Knife Sworn (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #2)

Knife Sworn (Tower and Knife Trilogy #2)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  233 ratings  ·  33 reviews
After spending most of his life in captivity, Sarmin now sits upon the Throne of Cerana. But his reign is an uneasy one. And the emperor’s own heart is torn between two very different women: Mesema, a Windreader princess, and Grada, a lowborn untouchable with whom Sarmin shares a unique bond. In times past, a royal assassin known as the Emperor’s Knife served to defend the ...more
Published November 13th 2012 by Night Shade Books (first published October 24th 2012)

Win a Copy of This Book

• Knife Sworn by Mazarkis Williams
    Knife Sworn (The Tower and Knife Trilogy, #2)
    Emperors clash with gods and war erupts over the Petal Throne in the second book of this Persian Empire-flavored epic fantasy series.

After a lifetime…more
    Giveaway dates: Apr 23 - May 22, 2015
    2 copies available, 287 people requesting
    Countries available: US
  • Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Knife Sworn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knife Sworn

The Republic of Thieves by Scott LynchA Memory of Light by Robert JordanEmperor of Thorns by Mark  LawrenceThe Daylight War by Peter V. BrettThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
    Can't Wait Sci-Fi/Fantasy of 2013
    65th out of 617 books — 3,225 voters
    Cold Days by Jim ButcherKing of Thorns by Mark  LawrenceA Perfect Blood by Kim HarrisonFair Game by Patricia BriggsTricked by Kevin Hearne
    Science Fiction & Fantasy Titles for 2012!
    227th out of 652 books — 1,490 voters

More lists with this book...

Ranting Dragon

One of my favorite reads of last year was Mazarkis Williams’s epic debut The Emperor’s Knife. Needless to say, when I was offered a review copy of Knife Sworn, I jumped at the opportunity. Knife Sworn continues the story of Sarmin, who had been locked up in a tower by his brother, the Emperor, for most of his life, and of Mesema, once a young foreign girl, brought to Nooria to marry Sarmin against her will. Like Williams’s writing, these characters have ma
    Mogsy (MMOGC)
    4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

The Tower and Knife series continues with Knife Sworn, and the second book is as full of magic, intrigue and beauty as the first -- if not even more so! One might be tempted to stop with The Emperor's Knife, its story having wrapped up so nicely at the end after all, with Sarmin coming into his own and the Pattern Master vanquished forever. But trust me, you won't want to miss this.

The events at the end of The Emperor's Bl
    Jessica Strider
    Pros: tight storytelling, several interesting viewpoints, complex characters

Cons: no book one synopsis/reminders

A year as Emperor hasn't brought Sarmin or his empire peace. His army, under General Arigu at the command of the previous emperor, has attacked Fryth. In an attept to mitigate the army's evils, Sarmin invites a Fryth envoy to discuss peace between their nations.

Cuious about the gifts of concubines he has received, Sarmin sends the untouchable Grada to follow the slave caravans that tra
    Dragana
    Nov 13, 2012 Dragana rated it 4 of 5 stars
    Recommends it for: lovers of high fantasy or fantasy in middle-eastern setting
    Shelves: fantasy, magic, arabian
    I read 'The Emperor's Knife' (first book in this trilogy) last week. If you have read my review, you probably noticed that although some concepts and ideas were very original, when you calculate all the flaws the book was just an average read to me.
    So I tentatively started reading 'Knife Sworn'. After all this book would be a deal-breaker to me, it will decide if I will continue to read this series or give up.

I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised by the 'Knife Sworn'. It's surprising to s
    Neida
    Wow!! As good or better than the first . I really enjoy this world setting. The magic system is original, characters old and new are engaging and the story is tight and fast paced. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for the third book. A joy of a read!!!

Stretch's Books
    It has been at least a year since I read "The Emperor's Knife", and I found it a little difficult to catch up with what was going on in "Knife Sworn". However, after around 50 pages or so things begin to come back to me, and I found that I had become really immersed in Mazarkis Williams' world again. Believe me when I say this is not a bad thing. Not a bad thing at all.

While I was disappointed that some of the character viewpoints from the "The Emperor's Knife" did not make into "Knife" sworn,
    Shaheen
    It was great to get back into the world that Mazarkis Williams has so skilfully created, and I am pleased to say that I thoroughly enjoyed Knife Sworn. This book is a lot more polished than its predecessor and the story flows more smoothly. The return of many of our favourite characters, and the introduction of some intriguing new ones, make Knife Sworn an interesting and engaging read.

It’s been a long time since I read Knife Sworn, and I dearly wish I’d had the time to re-read it. Williams begi
    Milo (Bane of Kings)
    ”A fantastic, original and character-focused follow up that will satisfy readers of The Emperor’s Knife.” ~The Founding Fields

Warning! There are spoilers for the first novel in the trilogy, The Emperor’s Knife, which I strongly recommend that you read before reading this one.

The Emperor’s Knife, Mazarkis Williams’ debut, was an awesome read, so when I found out that Knife Sworn, the sequel – was available on NetGalley with some decent cover art, I jumped at the opportunity, and thankfully, I ha
    PopcornReads
    We reviewed The Emperor’s Knife, Book #1 in the Tower and Knife series by Mazarkis Williams, when it was published late last year. I’ve been anxiously awaiting Book #2 and it’s finally here. Knife Sworn picks up fairly soon after The Emperor’s Knife ended. For those of you who haven’t read Book #1, this series blends court intrigue, political conspiracy, thriller and fantasy into a world that’s absolutely fascinating. Read the rest of my review at http://popcornreads.com/?p=4942.
    Jasper
    originally posted at: http://thebookplank.blogspot.com/2014...

Last year when I got introduced to the line up of books from Jo Fletcher many titles had caught my attention and one of them was The Emperor's Knife by Mazarkis Williams. I am always a sucker when it comes down to an epic fantasy story that features magic, sword fighting, political intrigues and of course assassins. The story and the world that Mazarkis Williams started to build had some very cool idea's and the influences, middle eas
    Nathan Washor
    Mazarkis evokes an original tale in Knife Sworn. Characters are deep and complex. The world is filled with mysterious arcana that must be understood to save it from nullification. The writing is enchanting. Buy this book and enjoy!

More review to come, but I am on a deadline at work...
    Jude Morrissey
    Wow! Like the first of the series, Knife Sworn was good fantasy, laced with political intrigue. I wondered how Williams would make the stories flow together, as the first novel wrapped up so nicely - she made it not only work, but work beautifully. I can't wait to read the third novel!
    Mieneke
    Knife Sworn is the second book in the Tower & Knife series and the middle book of a trilogy. As such it had a tall order in front of it; it had to live up to the first book and keep the narrative going so there will be a strong draw back for the third book. And of course, it has to avoid middle-book-syndrome. And people wonder why writing that second book is harder than writing the first! So you'll be glad to know that Knife Sworn did the first and the second and was relatively successful at ...more
    T.O. Munro
    Not just the first book I've finished in 2014, but the first fantasy book I've finished in a while.

I had been struggling my way through books by two different writers. Such towering figures within the genre that my travails of readership left me wondering "is it me?" So I turned at last to Knife Sworn book two in Mazarkis William's trilogy and found at last a book that could have me turning the pages in eagerness to see what happened next, yet still determined to make sure I caught every word.

I
    Michelle
    Jul 22, 2012 Michelle marked it as to-read
    Shelves: crits, 2012, owned
    This will be great.

That is my evaluation from the ~1/4 I read.

I'm excited and can't wait to read it. :)
    Holly
    The Pattern-Master has been defeated. Sarmin now reigns as emperor of Cerana, with Mesema by his side. Together they will raise Mesema's son, secretly fathered by Beyon, Sarmin's brother. But all is not well in Cerana. The Many, now free of the Puzzle-Master's taint, are feeling lost, and the Longing drives some to suicide and others to a foreign religion. Sarmin himself has taken on a great burden: some former souls, freed of the Many but with nowhere else to go, have taken up residence within ...more
    Eli Adelholm (Dragonsworn)
    Once again, I find myself having divided opinions.

The Emperor’s Knife could easily have been a stand-alone novel. In some ways, it might even have been better if it had been. But alas, the author decided to make a trilogy of the story begun in that first book.

While I am beyond excited at getter to know the amazing universe better, I do think that this sequel starts rather heavily dealing with the aftermaths of a finished story. It makes it a little tough to really get into it.

But once you are i
    Cindy
    (There may be some minor spoilers in here)
    Williams writes with the same magnificent prose as in The Emperor’s Knife. I really love her writing, it’s so complex, so deep, intimate and lyrical. For both The Emperor’s Knife and Knife-Sworn this is a big plus. But this isn’t a book you can read easily, due to the complexity Williams puts in her writing, you really have to keep your head in the game ‘cause otherwise a lot of information will get lost on you.

The book got off to a rather slow start, wi
    Josh
    Review from Fixed on Fantasy.

Knife Sworn is the second installment in the Tower and Knife Trilogy after The Emperor's Knife (see my review - with spoilers - here).

What was frustrating earlier on quickly became a highlight for me in this novel - it was confusing as all hell. There's a lot to say about reading a story through the experience and perception of protagonists that are probably a little unhinged. As readers we take their word as gospel truth, especially after being privy to their intern
    Libby Lanser
    Dec 06, 2012 Libby Lanser rated it 5 of 5 stars
    Recommends it for: Medieval fantasy fans, multicultural interests
    Recommended to Libby by: Mazarkis Williams
    Marius
    Why do i continue reading this?
    To say this series is twisted is an understatement.
    The primary character is a weak ass emperor who can barely walk.
    There is not one character in the book that doesn't have several screws loose, ok that's a lie, there is not one character that even comes close to sanity.
    After the first book i was expecting that at least Sarmin would climb the stairs half way to sanity.
    Nope, sure he doesn't talk with the paintings anymore(well he tries, but they don't answer).
    And the
    Bibliotropic
    (Full review here: http://bibliotropic.net/2013/12/13/kn...)

While definitely a strong novel with intelligent themes and masterful characterization, I didn’t enjoy this book as much as I enjoyed the previous one in the series. It has a great deal of potential and I’m looking forward to seeing where the rest of the story goes, though I think after my experience with Knife Sworn, I’ll make a point of rereading the series once more before picking up any future books, just to make sure that the autho
    Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
    Τελείωσα και το δεύτερο βιβλίο, το Knife Sworn.

Ο Γουίλλιαμς, φάνηκε να παίρνει στα σοβαρά τα σχόλια των αναγνωστών του και να προσαρμόζεται, γράφοντας το δεύτερο βιβλίο. Ένα από τα θέματα που είχε προκύψει ήταν ότι ενώ υπήρχαν σταθερά τέσσερις οπτικές γωνίες στην αφήγηση (για το πρώτο βιβλίο μιλάω) αυτές εναλλάσσονταν μέσα σε ένα κεφάλαιο, και μάλιστα κάποιες φορές με πολύ μικρές σκηνές, μισής σελίδας. Αυτό καταντούσε κουραστικό.

Στο δεύτερο βιβλίο, ακολουθώντας τις συμβουλές που του δόθηκαν (δεί
    Brian
    loved it.. can't wait for the final novel.
    Phil
    Here's a extract from my review, full link: http://afantasyreader.blogspot.ca/2014/04/knife-sworn-review.html

When I finished The Emperor's Knife, I thought that it would have been complete as a standalone but I was confident enough in the author's skills with what I discovered in his debut to expect an intrigue worthy of a trilogy. I mention the intrigue specifically since it was the prime factor for which I enjoyed Williams' debut. The characters were not in rest though, Sarmin the young brothe
    Nora
    This book was less wonderful than the first of the series. I mean, still well-written, and the central conflict was good, but overall I felt much less invested for several reasons:

1) The pacing was flat-out wonky. I couldn't tell the order of events between perspectives -- one character will be doing something, then it'll cut to a second character over several days, and then when we return to the first they're just finishing that thing they were doing. And then when they meet up they've each jus
    LaSibila
    Tenemos a un principe encerrado en una cárcel desde los 5 años, el relato de la noche en que es separado de sus hermanos y la muerte de los mismos en manos de asesinos. Su madre tuvo que tomar la decision se rescatar a uno de sus hijos -solo a uno- para conservar el lineaje. Cuando cumple los 20 años, la madre le informa que es hora de conseguirle una esposa.
    El relato es oscuro, monótono, repetitivo, y es difícil hasta seguir los nombres de los personajes. Lo siento. No pude terminarlo.
    Ruth
    Nov 06, 2013 Ruth rated it 1 of 5 stars
    Shelves: dnf
    c2012: FWFTB: emperor, curse, plots, Many, assassin. I remember really enjoying the first book in this series. This one.......perhaps it was because I couldn't remember the finer details of the plot or the world and there was no synopsis or introduction to help with jumping into the same world. I made a good effort with it only giving up on P273 out of 385 but I just could not cope with all the oblique references to things that I just could not remember. I am sure that if this book was read stra ...more
    Angela
    It was a decent continuation of the story but I liked the first book more.
    Alisanne
    Aug 29, 2014 Alisanne marked it as abandoned
    This book isn't for me. It has a lot of Philosophizing about religion which doesn't interest me.
    • The Tainted City (Shattered Sigil, #2)
    • The Book of the Crowman (Black Dawn #2)
    • Shelf Life: Fantastic Stories Celebrating Bookstores
    • One Great Year
    • The Broken Isles (Legends of the Red Sun, # 4)
    • The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel, Volume Four
    • Any Other Name (The Split Worlds, #2)
    • The Gift of Battle (The Sorcerer's Ring #17)
    • The Corpse-Rat King
    • The Night of the Swarm (Chathrand Voyages #4)
    • Angel City (The Angelus Trilogy #2)
    • Portlandtown: A Tale of the Oregon Wyldes
    • Quintessence
    • She Returns From War
    • Tomorrow The Killing (Low Town, #2)
    • Skulk
    • The Straits of Galahesh (Lays of Anuskaya, #2)
    • Blood's Pride (Shattered Kingdoms, #1)
    Mazarkis Williams is a writer with roots in both the US and the UK, having worked in and been educated in both countries. Each year is divided between Boston and Bristol and a teleport booth is always top of the Christmas wish-list.

Mazarkis has degrees in history and physics, and a diverse set of interests accumulated while mispending a hectic youth. Cooking has always been a passion, and in addit
    More about Mazarkis Williams...

Tower and Knife Trilogy (3 books)
    • The Emperor's Knife (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #1)
    • The Tower Broken (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #3)
    The Emperor's Knife (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #1) The Tower Broken (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #3) The Tower and Knife Trilogy: Omnibus Unbound