Start by marking “Vanished (Maggie McKenzie Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vanished (Maggie McKenzie Mystery, #1)

Vanished (Maggie McKenzie Mystery #1)

There is a saying that everyone has a double. In Maggie McKenzie's case, the saying is not only true, but the starting point for a troubling--and deadly--mystery.
Maggie has just begun her first job as a full-fledged newspaper reporter. It’s a dream come true. But soon the young journalist finds she is captivated by what should be old news – a girl who vanished years ago –
Hardcover
Published January 1st 2004 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Vanished, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vanished

Marsha
May 07, 2008 Marsha rated it it was ok
To be fair, I have a difficult time with LDS fiction and this book was no exception. I did think the characters were fine, even though Maggie (the main character) is a little too perfect as is her family. The biggest problem with this book, however, was not the LDS angle, it was the story. Maggie solves a mystery that neither the police nor private detectives could figure out. Not that it was very surprising that Maggie could figure it out...she just had to follow very obvious clues. What was su ...more
Joni
Sep 04, 2009 Joni rated it really liked it
Lynn Gardner is one of my guilty pleasures. Action, adventure, gratuitous information about Stockholm Syndrome...who could pass that up? She has a captivating writing style that sucks you in. And I feel it has been an educational experience - now I know exactly what to do if my previously-unknown identical twin sister, from whom I was separated at birth, begins controlling my mind so I will rescue from the man who has held her hostage for years.
Ann
Jul 30, 2009 Ann rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book, it was exciting, heartbreaking, funny. I really liked the historic tidbits woven into the story, it was really fun to learn about Lewis and Clark. I really couldn't put this book down. The typos were a bit distracting (one of my pet peeves) but still a good story that made me want to scream NOOOOOO when it left me hanging at the end. I guess I will have to dive into the next one to get the rest of the story.
Hollie Robb
Jan 05, 2010 Hollie Robb rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, mysteries
I guess it was mystery. Well a lot of it was just a little too out their for me. The whole mind projection thing was too radical for me to believe that could happen; but again I am not a twin, so maybe it could happen??? A twin taking over the other twin's mind, or communicating with the mind??? That is the thing you see in Xmen, other kind of cartoons, and things.

All in all I did thought that the story was a little slow, maybe because I had a hard time believing some the content.
Jenny
Sep 01, 2009 Jenny rated it it was ok
Even though I rated this a "2" I did stay up until 2 am, just so I could finish it and not have it take up any more time. (Really, the logic makes sense!)
It was a quick, fun, not terribly predictable mystery.
Colleen
Jul 21, 2009 Colleen rated it it was ok
Sep
Dec 22, 2016 Sep rated it liked it
Aapree
Oct 30, 2008 Aapree rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers, Certain Romance Enthusiasts.
This is a good winter mystery. I finished on a day that was incredibly snowy and wintery ... very fitting for the book. It takes place in the winter and she makes reference to the biting wind and cold often, so it helps when you can relate. :)

Anyway, back to the book. It was a really good mystery. I would have given it four stars, but I felt at times that it was a little slow, and towards the end it seemed as if the author was dragging the ending out a little bit. But it did leave you wanting mo
Amy
Jun 08, 2016 Amy rated it liked it
Well, that was different. Mormon psychic is kind of an oxymoron in the culture and was off-putting for me. Reminded me very much of Stranger with My Face by Lois Duncan, but with a stronger Christian/Mormon overtone. Also there was a whole bunch of Lewis and Clark trail travelogue that sort of filled in the story but also felt kind of forced to fit into the gaps. What was up with leaving the scenes of violent tragic deaths with a 'you'ge-got-to-try-the-seafood-at-the-next-stop' attitude? Grab th ...more
Swhe641200
Sep 13, 2010 Swhe641200 rated it really liked it
OTHSB Good Book. 12/2010 i cannot find this book So I checked it out of the library. It is about a girl Maggie who goes for her dream job in California and Lila thinks she is someone else. Alysa her bosses daughter who was kidnapped seven years earlier. Shse is given assignemnt to go and right articles on the Lewis and Clark adventures and goes looking for Alysa. She goes where they have recieved letter from people that thougth they had seen Alysa. They think maggie is here but call her Katie. S ...more
Casey
Jun 25, 2009 Casey rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, mystery, fiction
Mar 20, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I would call this a chic book, but I loved it. It was exciting, and it took me away from the everyday. It has a little bit of romance, a lot of suspense, and the main character is LDS so I loved it. It is a little bit educational as well. There are a few facts on Lewis and Clark and some information about psychology and twin studies which I found interesting. I wished the ending was a bit different because it kind of leaves you to decide for yourself what happens, but it isn't like a huge cliffh ...more
Susan
Aug 28, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
The beginning of another Lynn Gardner series I hope. She certainly did her research on this one. I wasn't prepared for the ending, but you can feel the happiness between Maggie and Alyssa when they are finally together. My heart ached for Flynn and I'm hopeful that he'll become Maggie's future. I love that she won't compromise her church standards and dream of a Temple marriage even for a man she loves.
Oct 22, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: LDS women
Really enjoyed the book. It was interesting and fun, and the characters were well developed. Only thing... I think there is supposed to be a sequel which is yet to be written.

I think I like this book better than Gardner's "Emeralds and Espionage" series with Allison and Bart. I really enjoy those, but this wasn't nearly so cheesy romance-wise. At least, the hero isn't calling the heroine "Princess"...
Gkeller123
May 31, 2009 Gkeller123 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe that I have had this book on my shelf since it first came out, and hadn't read it until now. A great, fun read that I finally started only because a sequel is out and I heard that it was good. I needed to read the first book first. Once I started it, I could hardly put it down. Now I want to go buy the second to pick up where the first book ends. I wonder how many books there will be in the series?
Julie
May 16, 2012 Julie rated it liked it
Since I've been reading a few Christian fiction items lately, I thought I'd try an LDS author again. I really liked the mystery aspect of this one & the whole ESP twin communication thing. Although kind of farfetched as a theory, I tried to think of it as a Harry Potter/Voldemort thing. :) A fun summer afternoon read.
Kristen
Jul 21, 2010 Kristen rated it it was ok
As exciting as this mystery sounded reading the cover, it is not worth the read. Very trite and predictable. With too many "coincidences". Newbie reporter Maggie is handed a plum assignment that takes her out to explore the trail of Lewis and Clark's historical journey and puts her on the path of a missing woman.
Nadine
Mar 27, 2012 Nadine rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book about a young journalist who discovers that she has a twin and goes on a search for her. I liked the way she very naturally used her gospel principles as a guideline when making choices--the book was not "preachy". I'll definitely look for more in the Maggie McKenzie series!
Ann Marie
Oct 06, 2009 Ann Marie rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I read the end 3 times. I was about 1/4 of the way through when I read the end the first time. (I don't do well with suspense anymore.) Then I read it again when I was about 1/2 through and then I read it again when I got to the end. It was a page turner. This morning I thought of a plot hole but I still loved the book.
Hilary Roberts
Mar 30, 2011 Hilary Roberts rated it liked it
I just noticed this book in my to-read section. I actually read it before Melissa was born. I don't remember specific details, but I remember I really enjoyed the book. In fact, I think it was one of my favorite Lynn Gardner books. Man, with a memory like this I might as well just start over reading all the books I've already read... :)
Dawn
Apr 02, 2012 Dawn rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012-books, mystery
This book was slow and weighed down my too much inner thought and no action. I kept thinking, just get on with the story. If you want to make a mystery, just get to it without all the pre-story that is distracting and unnecessary. The most exciting part was the title.
Kamicarlson
Mar 11, 2008 Kamicarlson rated it it was amazing
REALLY REALLY GOOD MYSTERY...one problem though...the end leaves you hanging. I think there was supposed to be a sequel to the book but it wasn't ever written. Maybe we should email Lynn Garnder and get her to write the sequel.
Alyson
Sep 11, 2009 Alyson rated it liked it
Shelves: religious
There were times reading this book that I actually got a little bit nervous for the main character. It was a fun action story. The romance in the story never went anywhere for me. It just didn't feel real.
Amber
Jan 25, 2011 Amber rated it really liked it
This was a fun and fast read. My Grandma recently passed away and this was one of her favorite authors and books. If you want a mystery romance/LDS written novel, this is the book you are looking for.
Kelli
Jan 02, 2011 Kelli rated it really liked it
I liked this book so much, I read it again as soon as I finished it. It was a little creepy as some points, which is actually what probably kept me hooked. I'm excited to read other Maggie McKenzie Mystery's
Candace
Aug 18, 2008 Candace rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! It helps that I picture the leading male as extremely attractive. Grrr. Anyhow, it is left wide open for a sequel (which, by the way, is scheduled to be released in Spring 2009) and I am anxiously awaiting it!
Kori
Nov 08, 2008 Kori rated it it was amazing
I love Lynn Gardner's books! I've read all of her "Jewel" books and this one was just as good. I stayed up until one o'clock in the morning because I just COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN! This is supposed to be a series - if you find out when the next book is coming out, let me know!
Sheila
May 14, 2009 Sheila rated it really liked it
I had to reread this book before reading the sequel "Pursued" that just came out. It has been many years since "Vanished" came out and since I read it. I had forgotten how good of a mystery it was and am anxious to go on to the sequel.
Jodee Clark
Jan 06, 2009 Jodee Clark rated it it was amazing
Loved this the second time through. This is one of my favorite authors. Having not read LDS fiction for a while it can seem a bit preachy but Lynn keeps it to a minimum. Instead the belief defines the character instead of the other way around.

Angela
Listened to 1 1/2 CDs of the audiobook before stopping. The reader was so fast! She read fast and didn't pause for breath or impact. It was really hard to listen to, even though that's probably how I read in my head when I'm really cruising through a book.
  • I'll Find You
  • Above Suspicion (Haggerty Mystery, #3)
  • Ripple Effect (Undercurrents, #2)
  • Breaking Point
  • Ghost of a Chance
  • House of Secrets (A Shandra Covington Mystery, #1)

Maggie McKenzie Mystery (2 books)
  • Pursued (Maggie McKenzie Mystery, #2)