Start by marking “Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress: Learn to Play the Most Complex Video Game Ever Made” as Want to Read:

Dwarf Fortress may be the most complex video game ever made, but all that detail makes for fascinating game play, as various elements collide in interesting and challenging ways. The trick is getting started. In this guide, Fortress geek Peter Tyson takes you through the basics of this menacing realm, and helps you overcome the formidable learning curve.

The book’s focus is
Published June 7th 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress

Steve Losh
Jun 12, 2012 Steve Losh rated it really liked it
It's the only one of its kind as far as I know, so if you want a book on Dwarf Fortress you don't really have many options.

Luckily, it's also a good book! I never played before, and this book helped be quite a lot.

There seem to be two main "sections" to the book. The first half (roughly) is a hand-holding, step-by-step tutorial that gets you up and running. The second half is more like a bunch of guides on various topics. The setup works really well.

If you're interested in DF after playing Minec
Alex Rogalski
Dec 02, 2014 Alex Rogalski rated it liked it
I don't think I will ever play dwarf fortress - micromanaging is not my idea of fun. But I enjoy roguelikes and I enjoyed reading this book. :)
Roy Klein
Jul 14, 2012 Roy Klein rated it it was amazing
Dwarf Fortress belongs to a class of games that are unapologetically complex in terms of depth and game mechanics. Among these games, it probably has the most steep learning curve of all, so steep it's nearly unimaginable that anyone could learn it without a teacher or a book. It is, however, an incredible fun and rewarding experience, once you've got a grisp of enough of the mechanics.

If you enjoy games like Civilization or Nethack and don't cower from spending a weekend on learning a game that
Kassil
Jun 07, 2012 Kassil rated it it was amazing
A fantastic introduction to the world's most complex game/reality simulation engine, Peter (AKA TinyPirate) does something never done before for Dwarf Fortress: he sits down and explains how to set up a functioning fort, going from generating a world and choosing a site clear through to setting up your industries and military, exploring the caverns, and everything else needed to help ensure that you, too, can understand that Losing Is Fun! Seriously, get this book. After becoming competent at DF ...more
J.R.
Jun 12, 2012 J.R. rated it really liked it
Peter Tyson has authored the definitive Dwarf Fortress tutorials and has been an avid player and contributor to the community for years. His instruction manual breaks Dwarf Fortress into easy-to-understand sections and explains each one with just the right mix of depth and simplicity. The illustrations are hilarious and perfectly convey the grim humor inherent in Dwarf Fortress. If you've been waiting to play Dwarf Fortress, this guide is a must-have.
Odhran
Aug 12, 2012 Odhran rated it really liked it
Interesting guide to playing Dwarf Fortress, interspersed with nice little comics telling DF tales. Could do with a little less how-to guide and a little more exploring the generated stories - Boatmurdered et al get mentioned, but not discussed. Also, 30% of the book is just appendices, mostly tables repeated from the main text. Captures the oddity that is this game pretty well though.
Jwest82
Mar 28, 2013 Jwest82 rated it really liked it
Dwarf Fortress... Seriously one of the most complex games ever coded. This book is a bit outdated now as far as functionality but it does still have some good insight on the basics. Prepare for all of the death umm... vampires umm... Fun you could ever want in a game. I give it four beards.
Brynjólfur Erlingsson
Jul 01, 2012 Brynjólfur Erlingsson rated it it was amazing
This book does what it says and does it very very well. For me Dwarf Fortress was impenetrable but I really wanted to see what it was all about. In around 10-20 hours with this book and the game side by side I was ready to go and do most of the stuff myself. It's well written and humorous to boot.
Joseph
Jun 04, 2012 Joseph rated it it was amazing
Great book to get new players up and running with Dwarf Fortress, as well as some tips and tricks for more experienced players. It is a legendary quality tutorial. It menaces with spikes of plump helmet.
Chris Hamby
Jun 23, 2012 Chris Hamby rated it it was amazing
Got me started playing in no time, and the writing is engaging, funny, and very helpful. If you want to play Dwarf Fortress (and you should) I definitely recommend picking this up.
Lee
Sep 01, 2015 Lee rated it really liked it
Helped me get a small fortress going along with a vast supply of booze & plump helmets for the winter months.
Dmitry
Feb 09, 2015 Dmitry rated it really liked it
Pleasantly written introduction to Dwarf fortress.
Fabian Scherschel
Probably the best way to learn about Dwarf Fortress. A very good guide. Funny and well written. I can recommend it whole-heartedly to anyone interested in the game.
Dave
Jul 08, 2013 Dave rated it really liked it
Probably the best book available to get you started playing Dwarf Fortress.
E
E rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2016
Michael Glenn
Michael Glenn rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2014
Will Douglas
Will Douglas rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2014
Brynn
Brynn rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Marcus
Marcus rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2016
Nathan Wise
Nathan Wise rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Ruth
Ruth rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2016
Kyle Van Den Heuvel
Kyle Van Den Heuvel rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2014
Stirlinghepburn
Stirlinghepburn rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2017
Ilya
Ilya rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2013
Charles
Charles rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2012
Neil
Neil rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Bárbara
Bárbara rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2013
Ned
Ned rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2014
Will Klutch
Will Klutch rated it it was ok
May 30, 2014
Garrett Pinkney
Garrett Pinkney rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2016
  • Programming Scala: Scalability = Functional Programming + Objects
  • CSS3: The Missing Manual
  • R in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • Numenera Corebook
  • The Well-Grounded Java Developer: Vital techniques of Java 7 and polyglot programming

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »