Start by marking “MOMumental: Adventures in the Messy Art of Raising a Family” as Want to Read:
MOMumental: Adventures in the Messy Art of Raising a Family

MOMumental: Adventures in the Messy Art of Raising a Family

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Family life is an adventure in becoming real... Jennifer Grant’s girlhood dream of being the perfect mom withered quickly once she got a real taste of the messy, creative, sometimes hilarious, and often taxing process of raising a family. With MOMumental, she presents a warm, compassionate audio book filled with uncommon and amusing insights about being an intentional pare ...more
Published May 15th 2012 by Oasis Audio (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about MOMumental, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about MOMumental

Caryn Rivadeneira
I found this book fun and true. It's not your typical "parenting book," in that Grant doesn't offer 5 tips for a better this and 7 secrets to a perfect this. But that is exactly what I loved about this. She "teaches" through stories--which is my favorite way to learn.
Great quote: "I may not know the right answers on many parenting issues, but I am convinced that being connected to our children, accepting and loving them as the unique and worthwhile people they are, covers a multitude of parenting sins. Being connected with them sets our kids up - as much as possible - for a life of healthy connection with others and with the God who created them and who is even more smitten with them than we are." Page 230

For every mom who has wondered if she has done things
Nikole Hahn
First of all, I am not a mom. When I agreed to review MOMumental by Jennifer Grant, my husband said, “Well, you can’t review it from the point of view of a mom.” But MOMumental is so much more than what it seems and non-parents can enjoy it as well as new parents.

Jennifer Grant had dreams of becoming the perfect mom. Her broken childhood caused her to work hard towards making sure her children have an unmarred childhood. She spoke about idealizing a mom who lived across the street. Jennifer thou
Motherhood is definitely messy! Being on the Wheww.. side of the younger years I can relate to much of what Jennifer Grant talks about in her book MOMumental.
As soon as we hear that first little blessing's heart beat we are striving to be the 'perfect mom', creating the 'perfect family'. We set up high standards from the start of how we are going to raise him/her and what our family dynamics is going to look like. Doesn't take too long after that first little blessing lets out a cry in the night
Linda Walters
What a charming, warm, human look at Parenthood. If you are looking for the "Follow this Method and have Perfect Children System"- this isn't it. But if you decide to skip over it because its not; what a shame, you will miss out on the real deal of raising families. Coming from a family of divorce she decided early on what her perfect mother role would look like, using what she missed as things her children would not. Then reality began to hit; that no matter how she tried to control it, things ...more
Overall this was an entertaining book about being a mom. The author, Jennifer Grant, uses her personal experiences to reiterate a principle she is trying to get across to moms. From learning when to step in if the kids are fighting to remembering they are just kids and not to expect them to be more mature then they are, each chapter highlights an incident most moms will encounter.

The best principle to take away from this book is to stop judging yourself so harshly. I also liked how she talked ab
I very much enjoyed this book. We live in a culture that puts unfair pressure on moms to do everything exactly right - or we as moms put that pressure on ourselves. We grow up with our own ideas of family and parenthood, how it's supposed to be, how we want ours to be, how our kids and our house is always going to be perfect, etc. And then, when it doesn't happen that way, we think we're failures.

Sharing stories from her own background and family life, Jennifer Grant shows in a very real way tha
K. L.
Jennifer Grant is a gifted, thoughtful writer. Her prose shines, as does her personality in this lovely book. Although she offers wise, gentle advice, it's more a parenting memoir than how-to book. Through well-crafted stories, she shows, rather than tells, what it looks like to parent intentionally.
What is a good parent? We moms often set impossible standards for ourselves, and feel that we can never be “a good mom.” Or at least a good enough mom. Jennifer's suggestion: approach the process wit
Katherine Willis Pershey
A wonderful book of gentle wisdom and humor. It wasn't what I expected it to be from the title and cover, neither of which are quite my aesthetic. I love the way Jennifer Grant tells stories - a little bit wry and self-deprecating, but not in an acerbic way at all. She meanders a bit, but in the best possible way, weaving everything back together again but not with overly tidy edges. I learned far more from this book than the traditional parenting books with chipper advice and impossible promise ...more
Trinity Andersen
I'm not much of a reader, because of challenges with attention and concentration, but I've been enjoying podcasts quite a bit over the past year, and I thought I'd try an audiobook for a little more depth. I'm so glad I did! I had never heard of this book or the author, but I loved it so much that I consumed the whole thing in just over a day.

Jennifer is very inspiring, and hearing it in her own voice was soothing and encouraging, not unlike the voice of the Baby Einstein mom, heard at the end
Margot Starbuck
I love Jennifer Grant's voice. It's warm, wise, observant, funny. If you're a parent, get your hands on this book. You'll find comfort that doing your best is good enough & probably glean some great ideas as well!
Mercedes Cordero
First of all, what's great —no, wonderful— about this book: mothers everywhere will feel in good company. The book begins by confirming the fact that we, as mothers, all go through the same things: the same experiences, the same self-doubts, the same moments of exasperation, tiredness, and loneliness, and the same moments when we all think that we are the only ones who have a child misbehaving, disobeying, waking up at night, talking back... and well, you can fill in the blanks. It is a great bo ...more
Ruth Hill
When I come across a good parenting book, I am instantly mesmerized. Add a Christian perspective to it, and I am definitely hooked. Jennifer Grant has written a book that is definitely all that and more. Over my years as a mother, I have read several "mother" books, but this is probably one of the best I have ever read. It is practical, humorous, and above all, non-condemning!

In the past, I have read mothering books that made me feel like I had to do A, B, and C in order to be a better mom. Oh,
Harold Cameron
"Adventures in the Messy Art of Raising a Family"

"One mom's humorous and candid memoir shows would-be supermoms how to create a realistically balanced family life without losing their minds.

A longtime former writer for the Chicago Sun-Times and now a columnist for the Chicago Tribune, Jennifer Grant is no stranger to the common reader. MOMumental is a foray into the enormously amusing, creative, and taxing process of raising a family and a starkly honest memoir that mothers everywhere can identi
For the most part, I enjoyed this book. There were a few times that I thought the author was a bit over the top and had a "holier than thou' attitude, but mostly, I liked reading it and she gave some great advice (some of which I hope to use). She also told some rather funny stories like when she pretended to be sick so her doctor kids could treat her just so she could have a chance to take a little rest (I believe I'm guilty of that as well ever since Ella got that doctor kit for Christmas).

Despite reading this whole book from cover to cover, I can honestly say that Jennifer Grant has not made me want to be a mother.

Of course, I'm hardly the targeted demographic for this kind of a book. I'm not a parent, not a suburbanite, and not even a chick. Frankly, I'm really the last person you'd expect to read and reviewMOMumental. But, it was free (on the condition that I write a review- not necessarily a good one), and I'm a sucker for free books. So here goes...

Summary: This book is not
Wendy Hines
Being a Mom is probably the hardest and most rewarding job I've ever had. I'm truly blessed to have two children, but as they've crept into their teenage years, it's not gotten any easier. MOMUMENTAL is a refreshing read that had me nodding my head in agreement in the escapes some of these children have gotten into and well as making me take a look at my own life and re-evaluating.

Some of the choices we make for our children we question. Am I a bad mom? If I had done things differently, maybe th
This is a wonderful memoir of family life in all of its (sometimes) messy glory. It's definitely not your normal family/parenting book! It's not about being the perfect parent, its about being a REAL mom. I think that's whats so appealing about this book. The author uses her real experiences(and that of friends etc.) of being a parent, the good, bad, and the ugly. The stories that she uses to illustrate are pretty dog gone funny, and I think most parents have a story or two that's pretty similar ...more
I stumbled across MOMumental and put it on my list to read, but it wasn’t until later that I got my hands on it. Jennifer Grant has a witty and open storyteller voice that will make you chuckle and grin. Through out every page you can hear the reality both good and bad of motherhood. Sometimes you need to hear that you’re not the only one and indeed in this book you get it. It’s like sitting with an old friend. There is a bit in this book for all moms, both seasoned and newbies. There is hope an ...more
Becca Moss
Nothing spectacular. I figured it would at least be funny, unfortunately it wasn't.
The first chapters worried me a little with their discussion of "fledge words." But then the book changed. It is not an advice book. It is simply a book telling moms that they are not alone. They can set aside some of their worry and enjoy their children. And, for moms of young children (like me), she promises that it does get easier. I enjoyed this book. Thank you, Jennifer Grant.
To clarify I give this book 3.5 stars. Jennifer Grant shows the ups and downs of motherhood with a warm and light-hearted narrative that makes this book a real gem. It let's the reader know the trials and tibulations of motherhood while also touching down on its rewards. It let's moms know you can still be Mom of the Year without even striving to be Martha Stewart or June Cleaver :)
This is such a good book. I highly recommend to those in the middle of parenting who need encouragement. It's also probably better for those who have multiple children over 2. This mom/author gives you some perspective as she is past the early stages of parenting. I laughed out loud many times. Really great read and quick!
-As your kids get older let them make their own choices/mistakes and live with the consequences. Say "yes" more.
-Kids are not "mini adults"-who they are now (how they behave) doesn't necessarily mean they will be that way later.
-read more, eat together, watch less TV (duh)
I loved that this book was a positive take on the enormous job of motherhood. Yes, it's stressful and exhausting, but it's also amazing. I found this book to be very uplifting.
Anne Tipton
There were valuable insights in the book but they weren't worth the time it too to read to find them.
Sarah Boonstra
An honest and funny account of what motherhood is like. Very refreshing!
Funny and inspiring, a little more religious than I expected though.
Stephanie Bishop
LOVED this! I would def. recommend to all of my Mommy friends!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jennifer Grant is a writer, speaker, and editor in the Chicago area with particular interests in parenting, family life, and international health and development.

She worked a health and family life columnist for the Chicago Tribune and Sun-Times Media newspaper for more than a decade.

Jennifer is a guest blogger for websites including Fullfill and Sojourner's God's Politics and is a regular contri
More about Jennifer Grant...