Start by marking “Empire and Honor (Honor Bound, #7)” as Want to Read:
Empire and Honor (Honor Bound, #7)

Empire and Honor (Honor Bound #7)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  1,153 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
October 1945: The Germans and Japanese have surrendered. For Cletus Frade and his colleagues in the OSS, it should be time to pack up, but they have far more important things to do.

Chief among them is the protection of their assets, especially the human ones. In the closing months of the war, the United States made a secret deal with the head of German intelligence’s Sovie
Published December 31st 2012 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Empire and Honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empire and Honor

Stuart Fujisaki
Jan 15, 2013 Stuart Fujisaki rated it did not like it
The WEB Griffin empire jumped the shark and having a 500+ page volume #7 proves it. I’d say 175 pages max for the amount of new material provided in the latest offering of the Argentina series. The author and co-author, I.e. the co-author succeeded in converting once interesting characters into parodies of themselves, while slogging them through a totally uninteresting, often confusing tale. You'd think the father would instruct the son to just stick to the time tested formula (stick to the scri ...more
Christopher Taylor
Jun 06, 2016 Christopher Taylor rated it liked it
This book is set at the end of WW2, when the allies were trying to clean up and capture all the Nazis and their equipment. Submarines containing riches, equipment, and art were sent out to help powerful Nazi leaders escape and set up for a "phoenix" rebirth of the reich, primarily to Argentina.

This is a book in a long series of stories involving established fictional characters interweaving with real ones, and as such drops the reader in the middle of a saga, but not uncomfortably. There is, per
Joseph
Pure entertainment, fiction loosely based on history. Good research, but dialogue doesn't ring true and is sometimes anachronistic. Still good fun, light read and entertaining. And, the bad guys are really bad, the good guys are funny and heroic to the point that they stretch your imagination. All the good guys are incredible marksmen, pilots and speak three to four languages. Did I mention they are also appreciative of things liquid, especially scotch and wine. Women have chick books, men have ...more
Brett Sorge
May 03, 2013 Brett Sorge rated it really liked it
This is really much better then the reviews. I suspect the others that rated this book poorly did not read the preliminary books in order. Otherwise I can see that you might be missing a lot and did not get the character development. Overall the story is pretty good and some nice dialogue.
Stan
Jan 18, 2013 Stan rated it it was amazing
Lt. Col. Frade has some interesting post WWII intel operations with his "little brother." Good stuff.
Scott Vanzandt
Feb 10, 2013 Scott Vanzandt rated it it was amazing
W.E.B Griffins latest. Just a continuation of the story. You should read this series from the start!
Kevin R.
Jul 23, 2012 Kevin R. rated it it was ok
TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING?

With this being (as of this writing) the final installment of the Honor Bound series, I thought I should chuck in my two cents, but I'll break it into two parts - Books I-III and Books IV-VII:

Books I-III are outstanding reads. The characters are compelling, the story is well-paced and developed. All in all, THIS was the series that turned me on initially to Mr. Griffin's books. Had the series ended at a trilogy, it would rank alongside Deighton's Bernard Samson trilogies
Matt aka
Nov 16, 2014 Matt aka rated it really liked it
Empire and Honor is a new genre of Action & Adventure for my book reviews but not an unfamiliar plot. This is the seventh book in the Honor Bound series but I didn't have any problem understanding the story. The book is about a few men trying to stop the Nazis, who are trying to flee to Argentina, from selling nuclear materials to the Russians.
I enjoyed this book but did not find it extremely memorable. The beginning of the book is interesting with a young American soldier being put in charg
Paul
Dec 25, 2012 Paul rated it it was amazing
This series has now moved beyond the end of World War II and introduces new characters, which have kept it fresh and interesting as Cletus Frade and his friends – some from his hometown of Midland, Texas, and others from Germany, all now residing in Argentina – battle with Juan Domingo Peron and his ilk.
But it’s also important for Cletus to keep his “Tio Juan” alive to prevent Argentina from falling into civil war, and Cletus and his friends and colleagues in from the now-dissolved OSS have to j
Sherry Wilson
Feb 07, 2014 Sherry Wilson rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy all of W.E.B. Griffin's series. My favorites being this series, Honor Bound, and the Presidential Agent series. What was a nice surprise with this book was the introduction of a new character, James D. Cronley. Jr. who will have his own series, Clandestine Operations.

I especially like these novels because there is a lot of actual history mixed in with the action and adventure. I hope this is not the last book in the Honor Bound series because I really like Cetus Frade and his crew
Fredrick Danysh
Jan 31, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
LtCol. Cletus Frade, USMCR, has adapted well to his life in Argentina as an OSS agent. With the end of the war, the OSS is disbanded but the remnants are smuggling "good" Germans into the country to save them from the Russians. At the same time, former SS officers and troops are smuggled into Argentina in order to start the Fourth Reich and land 600 pounds of uranium that was bound for Japan. The SS try to sell the uranium to the Russians and assassinate Frade and others. A good read that leaves ...more
Combatvet
Apr 28, 2013 Combatvet rated it it was ok
I am a huge fan of the "Men at War" series and a friend of mine thought this would be a good one to read along those lines. I was very disappointed, although a good story in and of itself, I found this book to be particularly difficult to follow. It was especially difficult to keep track of who what talking to whom and where they were know from, I found myself going back in the book more times just to refresh on who a particular person was which is not something that I am used to doing with most ...more
Dan Sibbet
I read the audio book, in no small part because Scott Brick is the reader here. Like the really great readers, he can use his voice to clearly portray the characters distinctly. And in this case there are lots of characters, most of them with German or Spanish accents. I did not know that this book is one of a series (learned that from the other reviewers) but is was a good read, alone. The story, with lots of period "color" was good, if incredible. Too many coincidences, too many pieces just fe ...more
Brian
Aug 28, 2014 Brian rated it it was amazing
The last of the Honor Bound series (to be succeeded by the Clandestine Operations series).

I can understand some of the criticism from some of the reviews about the authors' tendency towards anachronistic dialogue and soap opera-ish (I think I have created a new word there...) drama in the characters' personal lives, but if you can get beyond that, Griffin masterfully weaves history with fiction into a highly entertaining tale.
Lauren
Mar 12, 2013 Lauren rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this, whereas the previous books #5 &6 were slower. This one was an enjoyable read. We got some new characters, a great plot, and a cliffhanger. I love this series. At times, the writing does get tedious, (when recapping previous books), or in the German vernacular, but this was a well written story that kept my attention. I am eager for the next in the series. Hope it comes soon!!
Meakin
Apr 30, 2014 Meakin rated it really liked it
Shelves: w-e-b-griffin
The last book in a very good series. While some will object this is really soap operas for men. The ending was a letdown and this happens frequently in long series. The young lieutenant
becomes a hero kills the Nazi. All the other characters seem to disappear and we never get to understand what happened to them. This is a major flaw with a lot of authors including this wonderful Arthur Griffin.
Will
Protecting the Gehlen Deal and the Cold War Beginnings. Frade and company find themselves ferrying Abwher Ost members and their families from Germany to Argentina, and find some old buddies who survived the Nazis and Russians and fold them in. Of particular note is a U boat carrying uranium oxide that has arrived in southern Argentina and Frade and company must find and seize it before the Russians can buy the uranium for their weapons program.
Malani
Feb 13, 2015 Malani rated it liked it
I read this book as a "blind date" with a book program at my local library. I chose this book based upon knowing one factor -it's a historical fiction. I honestly enjoyed portions of the book. it was so realistic at times I had to remind myself it was historical fiction. If you enjoy books that draw you into history deeply & have you reminding yourself it's fiction plus WWII events , then this is for you.
Eileen Conner
I enjoyed this book. It has a lot of action, and returning to this series is like reuniting with old friends. One ot those book series I read purely for the fun. This book picks up after WW2, right about the time Peron is starting his coup in Argentina. Clete Frade is involved in this as well as the rescue of German spies that know about the Soviets. It has the remarkable "luck" and right place at the right time that always seems to bless Griffin's characters. Altogether a fun read.
George
Oct 21, 2012 George rated it it was ok
Shelves: military-fiction
I have read every Griffin and in order.

His style has always bugged me, the repetition of the major story plots and the characters full names and ranks over and over and over again drives me crazy. I have surmised long ago he is paid by the word.

This 700 page ( large print) volume 7 in the Honor Bound series could have been done in 200 pages. I am wondering if he even has an editor.

I think I read these books now more out of habit
Andy
Mar 03, 2013 Andy rated it liked it
Nothing much new here. Frade and company are in Argentina hunting down Nazis. His cousins and grandfather are in the country for a visit and, of course grandpa isn't all that he seems to be. He's keeping an eye on Frade for President Truman. A lot of build up and the payoff is over quickly. Not a surprise, just a constant disappointment.
Jack Laschenski
Jun 02, 2015 Jack Laschenski rated it it was amazing
Griffin at his best!

Argentina in 1946.

Nazis are pouring in with money and evil intent - to resurrect the nazi empire.

The OSS has been disbanded by President Truman.

"Good" Germans are trading information to the US in return for being allowed to live in Argentina.

Top secret. Lots of heros.

Fantastic read

Christian D.  Orr
Apr 12, 2014 Christian D. Orr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book of W.E.B. Griffin's that I've read (I know, took me long enough, right?). Fast-paced, eminently readable, entertaining, with a fascinating look at life in Argentina in the immediate aftermath of WWII. Some of the "family squabbling" (for lack of a better phrase) dialogue gets pretty silly toward the end, but eh, what the heck.
Barry
Jan 26, 2013 Barry rated it liked it
Another enjoyable book by Griffin. But, I really do Not like cliffhanger endings and this one terminated very abruptly. Another thing with Griffin which is both good and bad is that all major characterizations are the same from series to series. In this book he adds a new character who again fits into the mold.
David Freeman
Feb 16, 2013 David Freeman rated it did not like it
There were several subplots introduced that went nowhere. Many of the pages were filled with needless background information. The major plot wasn't really developed at the level of expertise of the father. And, to add insult to injury, there was no closure! I turned the last page expecting more and discovered that was it.
Liam
May 09, 2012 Liam rated it liked it
Apparently, the younger Mr. Butterworth is profiting from his close cooperation with his father. Unless I am very much mistaken, the various W.E.B. Griffin series, particularly this particular example, are no longer deteriorating in quality with every new book released. This is far from the best volume in the 'Honor Bound' series, but certainly not the worst.
Bonnie
Jun 19, 2013 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this series was done and was happy to see another book as it is a very interesting story. It is full of colorful characters and situations. I am not so crazy about some of the language. Also the way so-called nice girls are ready to jump into bed - this is definitely written for guys. Were it not for the good features of this series I'd have quit midway through the first book.
Glenn Wright
Feb 17, 2013 Glenn Wright rated it really liked it
I totally enjoy this series of books, and manage to ignore the German spelling and grammar errors. I've found, though, that I'm going to have to discontinue listening to the audiobook versions between reading sessions. Somehow, the mispronunciations rub me the wrong way.
Bill
Jan 05, 2013 Bill rated it liked it
Thought I was tired of reading these but was surprised to find I still enjoyed it. Had to write the web site contact though as they referred to the University of the South as Suwanee which is a river instead of Sewanee, the correct spelling. I'm sure they love us readers to do that.
Tim
Feb 26, 2013 Tim rated it liked it
2/3 of this novel is interesting and well written. As for the other third, it's so trite that I couldn't wait to get through it. This is no more than an average story for Mr. Griffin and is a bit of a letdown. 6 of 10 stars
  • Shattered Trident (Jerry Mitchell, #4)
  • Silent Enemy (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold #2)
  • Wahoo: The Patrols of America's Most Famous World War II Submarine
  • War Beneath The Sea
  • In the Company of Women
  • Hunt the Jackal (SEAL Team Six, #4)
  • Fall from Grace
  • The Hornet's Sting: The Amazing Untold Story Of Second World War Spy Thomas Sneum
  • A Devil Is Waiting (Sean Dillon #19)
  • Fort Pillow
  • Sentinels of Fire (World War 2 Navy)
  • Storm Force to Narvik: The Nicholas Everard World War II Saga
  • Heroes Proved (Peter Newman, #4)
  • Himmler's War
  • The Only Suspect
  • Sea of Shadows
  • Capitol Offense (Ben Kencaid, #17)
  • Shadow Flight
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including Heb
More about W.E.B. Griffin...

Honor Bound (7 books)
  • Honor Bound (Honor Bound, #1)
  • Blood and Honor (Honor Bound, #2)
  • Secret Honor (Honor Bound, #3)
  • Death and Honor (Honor Bound, #4)
  • The Honor of Spies (Honor Bound, #5)
  • Victory and Honor (Honor Bound, #6)

“ambassador, but knew nothing beyond that. The first impression Frade had of Ambassador” 0 likes