Start by marking “Horrible Hauntings: An Augmented Reality Collection of Ghosts and Ghouls” as Want to Read:
Horrible Hauntings: An Augmented Reality Collection of Ghosts and Ghouls

Horrible Hauntings: An Augmented Reality Collection of Ghosts and Ghouls

This exciting new book brings to life--quite literally--ten famous hauntings from the annals of history. Using interactive augmented reality to enhance the images on the pages, readers are able to see and interact with 3-D ghosts, which appear to come alive and can be manipulated by the viewer.

Luscious illustrations of famous historical hauntings introduce readers to some
Published October 1st 2012 by Goosebottom Books

To ask other readers questions about Horrible Hauntings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horrible Hauntings

Jim Erekson
Oct 16, 2013 Jim Erekson rated it liked it
Bridges provides a very basic overview of ten specific historical ghost stories. The words begin with a narrative hook, followed by summary of the historical account. Each double has a full-page illustration that seems to be just a blank picture of a setting. But these blank settings are the backdrop for use by a phone app to create an augmented reality. The first one was probably the best, where hovering the app over the book makes a 3-D image of a ghost ship appear.

I haven't seen a lot of Aug
Lu Benke
Oct 19, 2013 Lu Benke rated it it was amazing
An enthusiastic welcome to bridges/Bridges—albeit spooky ones—to the ways technology can lead us to books—and books to technology! I am so glad I got introduced to the use of augmented reality (AR—a positive use of the acronym!) with books through this title rather than one of the few others out there (e.g., one on the movie Ice Age or the one about fairies). I, for one, do not believe technology spells the death of enjoyment of books or reading, any more than popup books do, and this, my book-l ...more
Erin Reilly-Sanders
I had much higher expectations of my first "augmented reality" book but this was a bit of a disappointment. Kids may still enjoy it, especially as the subject is riveting, but I found the ipad ap portion awkward to use and that it didn't seem to add much to the story or the experience. Including an audio recording of the text would have helped mediate some of the discordance between the different media. The actual digital interactions are restricted to one type of interaction per two-page spread ...more
Lauren Grosch
Mar 28, 2016 Lauren Grosch rated it liked it
I thought Horrible Hauntings was a super cool interactive book. You have to have the book and the app separately but if you open the app and put the camera on the pages, the book really does come to life. The story features 10 famous ghosts, The Flying Dutchman, Abraham Lincoln, The Princes in the Tower, Whalley Abbey, The Brown Lady, The Headless Horseman, The Haunted Gallery, Amherst Poltergeist, The Black Dogs and Bloody Mary. I accidentally put the camera on the front of the book while I was ...more
Janice
Dec 04, 2012 Janice rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-non-fiction
The writing itself is nothing special, but what was was how this grabbed the interest of my class as soon as I brought it into the classroom. This is an interactive book in that an app in the Itunes store makes it so.

There are a collection of ghostly stories and an accompanying picture which displays "the ghost" when it is scanned into an Ipad or Iphone (my class preferred the Ipad because of the larger screen)

What I liked about it, was the kids that first were into the pictures, then sat down
Mary Jo
Dec 04, 2012 Mary Jo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-nf
This book was very interesting because I can see the future of books in it. There is a free app on the iTunes store that brings the book to life. There are ten stories in the book, all but two were tales I already knew (I've been reading ghost stories all my life) & the app when held over the facing page displayed a three dimensional ghost. Each ghost had a different way to interact with it as well. It certainly made the stories and the book in general more interesting.
Jenna
Mar 28, 2016 Jenna rated it it was ok
This was an okay interactive story to use. The story has 10 famous ghosts. With each page, there is a different ghost that is there. I thought that this one would be a little more interesting then it was, but for some reason it just didn't intrigue me as much. Some parts of this were a little creepy and kind of cool, but other than that this was my least favorite one.
Ashley Clark
Oct 02, 2014 Ashley Clark rated it really liked it
Loved it!
Dana Vanderpool
Jack's non-fiction book.
Morgan
Dec 10, 2012 Morgan rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Giving this title high stars simply because it is the first of its kind and it is pretty awesome. The Bloody Mary page is by far my favorite.
Sydney
Oct 01, 2015 Sydney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edrd-314
This book is the coolest book I've ever seen. It's really cool because it's so interactive! It's great for kids in 4th or 5th grade!
Lupine
Lupine rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2013
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was amazing
Chrissy King
Chrissy King rated it it was amazing
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2015
Sarah rated it it was ok
Oct 06, 2013
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2013
Miss Melissa
Miss Melissa rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2013
Trish Henry
Trish Henry rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Karen Jensen
Karen Jensen rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2014
Nickie
Nickie rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2016
Madelynn Keeslar
Madelynn Keeslar rated it it was amazing
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2015
Kat Gregory
Kat Gregory rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Ann
Ann rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2017
Katy Pye
Katy Pye rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2014
Sheila Nielson
Sheila Nielson rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2013
Laura Brendle
Laura Brendle rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2016
Rosario
Rosario rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2015
Shirin Yim Bridges comes from a family of writers and artists. Her first book, Ruby's Wish, was named one of the Best Children’s Books of 2002 by Publishers Weekly, and won the Ezra Jack Keats awards for Best Writer and Best Illustrator in 2003. It is on several state reading lists, has been translated into six languages, and is now in its ninth edition.

Shirin’s second book, The Umbrella Queen, ma
More about Shirin Yim Bridges...