Start by marking “The Knitting Circle Rapist Annihilation Squad” as Want to Read:
The Knitting Circle Rapist Annihilation Squad

The Knitting Circle Rapist Annihilation Squad

3.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  171 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
In this darkly comic novel, the six women of the Knitting Circle meet every week to talk, eat cake, and make fabulous sweaters. The easy-going circle undergoes a drastic change when the members realize they are all the survivors of rape—worse still, that none of their attackers suffered consequences—and the group becomes the vengeful Knitting Circle Rapist Annihilation Squ ...more
Published October 5th 2012 by PM Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Knitting Circle Rapist Annihilation Squad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knitting Circle Rapist Annihilation Squad

Dan Schwent
Jan 09, 2014 Dan Schwent rated it liked it
Shelves: great-titles, 2014
After six women in a weekly knitting circle find that they are all rape survivors and none of their attackers were ever brought to justice, the go on a rapist-killing spree. Soon, other people, both men and women, join their cause. Will the hapless police be able to stop them before their revolution goes out of control?

Sometimes, a book title will be so amazing that I simply must read the book. Too bad a lot of awesome titles are attached to books that are only average.

First off, rape is bad.

Sec
Mark
Dec 11, 2013 Mark rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Madame Defarge
Recommended to Mark by: Dan Schwent
Shelves: bizarre, comic-work
It was the title which grabbed me first. One of Dan's finest suggestions. How could anyone fail to want to take a look?

It is funny and weird and thought provoking and unsettling all knitted together with very few stitches being dropped.

It is funny because the humour is on the laugh out loud level.

Very early on n the book I knew I was going to enjoy the silliness of it all. The first 'victim' of the squad is a lecherous and arrogant dance master who tricks the founding mother of the squad, Brigit
MrsJoseph
Mar 13, 2015 MrsJoseph rated it did not like it

Updated to include link to a recent article: An 11-year-old reported being raped twice, wound up with a conviction
This article is SO disturbing that I could not finish it all. The way this child was treated after being brutally raped is horrifying.

The Knitting Circle Rapist Annihilation Squad is a book I picked to read during my Scribd trial but I couldn't get into it. DNF at 60%.

The plot idea and the blurb all sounded extremely interesting so I decided
Ayla-Monic
Mar 17, 2013 Ayla-Monic rated it it was amazing
Not everyone will "get" this book. It's not fantastically written - my inner editor cringed pretty often, to be perfectly honest. But, if that is what stops you from finishing or liking this book, you are sorely missing the point. This book is not about knitting. It's about knitters who are radical feminists.

This book is a treatise against passively standing back while the patriarchy controls our lives and men and women alike police and abuse other women.

This is a book about empowerment and reco
Candis
Jan 25, 2013 Candis rated it really liked it
A lightening-fast, almost stream-of-consciousness read, this piece of satire rides a politic and holds little back. Fun, silly, yet completely clear on its ultimate aim, this was really pretty satisfying all around. The no-bullshit, take-no-prisoners approach to rape and our rape culture (as well as the media and other institutions that work to perpetuate and maintain it) featuring interesting women of all ages and in a range of relationships was a refreshing change from my reading norm. Not onc ...more
Melody (A Charles)
Dec 05, 2012 Melody (A Charles) rated it did not like it
Shelves: borrowed
so, the rape culture is over the top, and this is an attempt at over-the-top satire, but it's really poorly written. even if i'm on board with quite a few of the political rants, there's no story stringing them together. i couldn't suspend my disbelief long enough to appreciate an unapologetic "fuck you!" to rapists. there is no such thing as a cheese factory that makes a different cheese every week, for starters. gaperon and roquefort are made in FRANCE. blah blah, the attempt to make fun of mi ...more
Samrat
Jul 13, 2015 Samrat rated it it was ok
Good concept, awful execution. If you're already a feminist, you know this stuff and probably won't be tickled pink by the boring walking stereotypes and broad humor. If you're not, it all seems so over the top that the startling frequency of rape and awful responses to victims and defense of rapists might seem like part of the satire. I wanted a clever dark comedy to find gleeful pleasure in literary revenge. This is not that.
Rosalie
Sep 04, 2013 Rosalie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
I reviewed this book in the latest (September 2013) issue of the literary journal Stirring. Here's the link.

Years ago I attended a women writers conference where a woman in our fiction-writing workshop read aloud to us from a novel she had started. As I recall, the plot involved members of a book group, all women and all survivors of domestic violence, who agreed to a revenge pact. Each one, they decided, would kill a man who had abused someone else, a man with whom she had no connection.

It was
Poor as Folk
Oct 02, 2014 Poor as Folk rated it it was ok
If half stars were a thing on good reads, I'd give it a half star. I almost liked it. I admit that I'm probably being influenced by what I know of the author and his work with Deep Green Resistance. Deep Green Resistance is an organization I wish I could get behind 100% but their policies that exclude transgender people keep me from being a supporter. No sign of transphobia in this particular book but DGR is also fond of using the words "slavery" and "enslavement" to talk about income inequality ...more
Michelle
Nov 17, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it
The writing is dreadful, though campy, with a bit of Hothead Paisan to the spirit of the thing. Sometimes that's enough -- in just the right mood, it can be enough. Reading this has the feeling of lounging in a dorm room with the punkish inheritors of the consciousness raising circle, noisily passing around a notebook in which a collective story is being written -- one which isn't necessarily meant to be good so much as it's meant to be cathartic, yet political, yet also darkly fun.

Still, there
FabulousRaye
A rape-revenge novel that somehow manages to be cute, funny, and feminist. That was very unexpected.
Nini
Jan 13, 2015 Nini rated it liked it
A book I bought on a whim. Great cover by Stephanie McMillan, by the way. A book I bought for its intriguing contents: six women, mixed ages same sex same cause, i.e. putting an end to rape.

At first I read the book as I had expected, as a novel, as a fictive wannabe solution to this hideous crime too often aggravated by the far too often absence of consequence for the perpetrator. But the more satire-like the novel turned out to be, the more I realized that my belief of "everyone", except rapis
Kylie
Nov 27, 2012 Kylie rated it did not like it
It starts out as a fun way of presenting a serious issue, then once you're hooked, turns into a ridiculous anti-capitalist diatribe with no plot.
I really like capitalism.
Wendle
Apr 06, 2016 Wendle rated it liked it
Generally, this book reads like it’s written for 9-13 year olds. At several points i considered giving this book to my 9-year-old niece, the only thing that stopped me was the fact that she wouldn’t understand a lot of the references. Generally, the humour is trying too hard. It’s past funny and into cringe-worthy slapstick territory. It’s not clever humour, it’s not even well done humour, it’s loud and poorly written humour.

Purely on quality, this book is really only worth two stars, but i felt
Joanne
May 19, 2013 Joanne rated it it was ok
What a bizarre little book. While I can appreciate an attack upon the rape culture, this book often left me feeling like I was reading it on the boat in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. I wavered between amused, bemused, nonplussed, avenged, impressed, horrified, insulted...

***spoilers ahead***

Things I heartily pondered while reading this:

Must one slaughter people to stop rape?

Would fear of murder actually stop rape from happening?

How easily could someone die from a simple stab wound made by a
Amy Lawton
Sep 10, 2014 Amy Lawton rated it really liked it
Wow, what can possibly be said about this book?

Primarily, you have to be in a good mental place to enjoy it. The satire is over the top but it still strikes at the heart of the truth, as all good satire does. If you are feeling totally bummed out about living in a rape culture, this is probably not the book you should read; it won't improve your mood. But if you are feeling fired up about American culture's endemic sexual violence and want to entertain fantastical daydreams about how it would be
Amity
Jun 01, 2013 Amity rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women, feminist
This is a fantastic book. A group of women who knit realize they've all been raped & decide to do something about because no one else did. A commentary on how we treat rape and women now--women are usually 'asking' for it, women shouldn't dress slutty or go out after dark by themselves, it may start out as rape but then a woman will like it-and what the future could be.

It's sort of an AU; if we actually reacted to all the ridiculous bullshit we tell ourselves about rape instead of just acce
Cherie
Jun 20, 2014 Cherie rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, feminism
B- Light read about a world where rape doesn't exist, looking back at how it was stopped - when a group of women took their knitting needles to murder all the rapists. I like Jensen's other stuff better.
Ana Barahona
Aug 14, 2014 Ana Barahona rated it liked it
Very satirical, and very over-the-top. however the times it is the most over the top, the most like reality it becomes, and then it makes you laugh out loud. recommended.
Audrey
Mar 15, 2013 Audrey rated it it was amazing
A feminist comedy, Jensen is a master of parody and verbose sociopolitical humor. It is sure to offend many, as a love it or hate it novel. Not for the misogynists, conservatives, Christians, or douche bags of the world, but definitely a great read for those who love and appreciate women, equality, and comedy at it's finest. While knitting has become increasingly popular in the US, the place for it in feminism has been a question of art versus social place and gendered occupation. Without reserv ...more
Deianaera
Dec 14, 2014 Deianaera rated it liked it
I added this to my wish list a year or so ago on a recommendation whose source I don't even recall. I got it for Christmas and devoured it that day. This is not a story to be read for its own sake. It is a socialistic morality play couched as a feminist screed masquerading as chick lit fiction. Peopled with stock characters and featuring trite scenarios painted with broad strokes, on its own merits as fiction it fails utterly. For all that, it's an amazing thought exercise and well worth the tim ...more
Alan Vedge
Apr 06, 2014 Alan Vedge rated it really liked it
A fun read but don't go into it with high expectations. As a knitter and someone who likes a lot of Jensen's work and dislikes rape culture I couldn't NOT read this. It's pretty poorly written, really cheesy, and does have a few problematic parts BUT if you treat it like the ridiculous quick-read novel it really is it's a fun read.
Leigh
May 20, 2015 Leigh rated it liked it
As I was reading this I had a really easy time thinking of it as a novelization of a John Waters treatment. Absurd but aware. The writing style leaves something to be desired, though.
 Brittany
Apr 12, 2016 Brittany rated it did not like it
The idea of this book is hilarious and amazing and empowering. However, it is so poorly executed that it becomes none of these things. I can honestly say this is the worst written book I have ever read. But I still LOVE the idea of it.
Nicole
Oct 25, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!

I couldn't recommend this book more!! It is so hilarious and hopeful. I giggled the whole way thru. Loved it!
Vianney Trujillo
Dec 10, 2015 Vianney Trujillo rated it it was ok
It had so much potential and it just wasn't excuted as well as it could have been
Lauren
Sep 05, 2015 Lauren rated it liked it
Kind of like the book version of the movie Teeth. Campy and even dumb at times, but I enjoyed indulging in it.
Marna
May 05, 2015 Marna rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this! Dark, humorous, well written with many pertinent, current issues included along with the elimination of rape.
Jarod
Sep 20, 2015 Jarod rated it did not like it
Trivial, narrow-minded and poorly written. It makes sweeping generalisations about a lot of things and is full of 'mile wide, inch deep' knowledge of feminism and related ideologies. In many parts of the book it could be said that the content is damaging to some women (did anyone else feel this book trivialised rape?). Overall the title gives the book potential it did not live up to. Had a woman written this book, it probably would have turned out a lot better and less offensive.
Cambria
Sep 13, 2015 Cambria rated it it was amazing
*fist pump*
  • The Audre Lorde Compendium: Essays, Speeches, And Journals
  • Rape: Sex, Violence, History
  • We, the Children of Cats
  • Don't Leave Your Friends Behind: Concrete Ways to Support Families in Social Justice Movements and Communities
  • Shoot the Dog  (Virgil Cain Mysteries #3)
  • Sweetening the Pill: Or How We Got Hooked on Hormonal Birth Control
  • Spit and Passion
  • The Primal Screamer
  • Tango: My Childhood, Backwards and in High Heels
  • The Wild Girls
  • Heir of the Dog (Dog Walker Mysteries, #2)
  • Sock Innovation: Knitting Techniques & Patterns for One-Of-A-Kind Socks
  • Grimms' Bad Girls And Bold Boys: The Moral And Social Vision Of The Tales
Derrick Jensen is an American author and environmental activist living in Crescent City, California. He has published several books questioning and critiquing contemporary society and its values, including A Language Older Than Words, The Culture of Make Believe, and Endgame. He holds a B.S. in Mineral Engineering Physics from the Colorado School of Mines and an M.F.A. in Creative Writing from Eas ...more
More about Derrick Jensen...