The Knitting Circle Rapist Annihilation Squad

The Knitting Circle Rapist Annihilation Squad

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  33 reviews
In this darkly comic novel, the six women of the Knitting Circle meet every week to talk, eat cake, and make fabulous sweaters. The easy-going circle undergoes a drastic change when the members realize they are all the survivors of rape—worse still, that none of their attackers suffered consequences—and the group becomes the vengeful Knitting Circle Rapist Annihilation Squ...more
Published October 5th 2012 by PM Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Knitting Circle Rapist Annihilation Squad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knitting Circle Rapist Annihilation Squad

Dan Schwent
After six women in a weekly knitting circle find that they are all rape survivors and none of their attackers were ever brought to justice, the go on a rapist-killing spree. Soon, other people, both men and women, join their cause. Will the hapless police be able to stop them before their revolution goes out of control?

Sometimes, a book title will be so amazing that I simply must read the book. Too bad a lot of awesome titles are attached to books that are only average.

First off, rape is bad.

Sec...more
Mark
Dec 11, 2013 Mark rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Madame Defarge
Recommended to Mark by: Dan Schwent
Shelves: bizarre, comic-work
It was the title which grabbed me first. One of Dan's finest suggestions. How could anyone fail to want to take a look?

It is funny and weird and thought provoking and unsettling all knitted together with very few stitches being dropped.

It is funny because the humour is on the laugh out loud level.

Very early on n the book I knew I was going to enjoy the silliness of it all. The first 'victim' of the squad is a lecherous and arrogant dance master who tricks the founding mother of the squad, Brigit...more
Candis
A lightening-fast, almost stream-of-consciousness read, this piece of satire rides a politic and holds little back. Fun, silly, yet completely clear on its ultimate aim, this was really pretty satisfying all around. The no-bullshit, take-no-prisoners approach to rape and our rape culture (as well as the media and other institutions that work to perpetuate and maintain it) featuring interesting women of all ages and in a range of relationships was a refreshing change from my reading norm. Not onc...more
Ayla-Monic
Not everyone will "get" this book. It's not fantastically written - my inner editor cringed pretty often, to be perfectly honest. But, if that is what stops you from finishing or liking this book, you are sorely missing the point. This book is not about knitting. It's about knitters who are radical feminists.

This book is a treatise against passively standing back while the patriarchy controls our lives and men and women alike police and abuse other women.

This is a book about empowerment and reco...more
Rosalie
I reviewed this book in the latest (September 2013) issue of the literary journal Stirring. Here's the link.

Years ago I attended a women writers conference where a woman in our fiction-writing workshop read aloud to us from a novel she had started. As I recall, the plot involved members of a book group, all women and all survivors of domestic violence, who agreed to a revenge pact. Each one, they decided, would kill a man who had abused someone else, a man with whom she had no connection.

It was...more
Melody (A Charles)
so, the rape culture is over the top, and this is an attempt at over-the-top satire, but it's really poorly written. even if i'm on board with quite a few of the political rants, there's no story stringing them together. i couldn't suspend my disbelief long enough to appreciate an unapologetic "fuck you!" to rapists. there is no such thing as a cheese factory that makes a different cheese every week, for starters. gaperon and roquefort are made in FRANCE. blah blah, the attempt to make fun of mi...more
Wendle
Generally, this book reads like it’s written for 9-13 year olds. At several points i considered giving this book to my 9-year-old niece, the only thing that stopped me was the fact that she wouldn’t understand a lot of the references. Generally, the humour is trying too hard. It’s past funny and into cringe-worthy slapstick territory. It’s not clever humour, it’s not even well done humour, it’s loud and poorly written humour.

Purely on quality, this book is really only worth two stars, but i felt...more
Joanne
What a bizarre little book. While I can appreciate an attack upon the rape culture, this book often left me feeling like I was reading it on the boat in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. I wavered between amused, bemused, nonplussed, avenged, impressed, horrified, insulted...

***spoilers ahead***

Things I heartily pondered while reading this:

Must one slaughter people to stop rape?

Would fear of murder actually stop rape from happening?

How easily could someone die from a simple stab wound made by a...more
Deianaera
I added this to my wish list a year or so ago on a recommendation whose source I don't even recall. I got it for Christmas and devoured it that day. This is not a story to be read for its own sake. It is a socialistic morality play couched as a feminist screed masquerading as chick lit fiction. Peopled with stock characters and featuring trite scenarios painted with broad strokes, on its own merits as fiction it fails utterly. For all that, it's an amazing thought exercise and well worth the tim...more
Amy Lawton
Wow, what can possibly be said about this book?

Primarily, you have to be in a good mental place to enjoy it. The satire is over the top but it still strikes at the heart of the truth, as all good satire does. If you are feeling totally bummed out about living in a rape culture, this is probably not the book you should read; it won't improve your mood. But if you are feeling fired up about American culture's endemic sexual violence and want to entertain fantastical daydreams about how it would be...more
Amity
This is a fantastic book. A group of women who knit realize they've all been raped & decide to do something about because no one else did. A commentary on how we treat rape and women now--women are usually 'asking' for it, women shouldn't dress slutty or go out after dark by themselves, it may start out as rape but then a woman will like it-and what the future could be.

It's sort of an AU; if we actually reacted to all the ridiculous bullshit we tell ourselves about rape instead of just acce...more
Cherie
B- Light read about a world where rape doesn't exist, looking back at how it was stopped - when a group of women took their knitting needles to murder all the rapists. I like Jensen's other stuff better.
Ana Barahona
Very satirical, and very over-the-top. however the times it is the most over the top, the most like reality it becomes, and then it makes you laugh out loud. recommended.
Audrey
A feminist comedy, Jensen is a master of parody and verbose sociopolitical humor. It is sure to offend many, as a love it or hate it novel. Not for the misogynists, conservatives, Christians, or douche bags of the world, but definitely a great read for those who love and appreciate women, equality, and comedy at it's finest. While knitting has become increasingly popular in the US, the place for it in feminism has been a question of art versus social place and gendered occupation. Without reserv...more
Alan Vedge
A fun read but don't go into it with high expectations. As a knitter and someone who likes a lot of Jensen's work and dislikes rape culture I couldn't NOT read this. It's pretty poorly written, really cheesy, and does have a few problematic parts BUT if you treat it like the ridiculous quick-read novel it really is it's a fun read.
Stephanie
Funny in parts, heavy -handed in others.
Dan Sharber
i thought this book was just ok. it was trying to hard to be tom robbins or kurt vonnegut. and while i expected a high level of absurdity and ham fisted-ness because of the type of robbins/vonnegut aspect of this book, it still got tedious at times. it's not the worst book as i did not stop reading it but it just felt more meh than i wanted. good, fun idea but just not executed all that well...
Marilee
Wow. This will be a first for me...I read three pages, and had this been a real, rather than a Kindle book, I would have brought it back to the bookstore. The writing is positively AWFUL. My 13 year old daughter can tell a better tale. There was so much promise in the title, but the author's inability to write just ruined it for me. Too bad, so sad. On to the next book.
Erin Christman
Amusing send up of rape culture (and activist culture) but lacking something. Kept reading waiting for the moment the Knitting Circle' message got through and the tide started to turn, but apparently that all happened "off screen". Just kill all the rapists and rape culture will suddenly disappear!
Molly
A light read--something humourous-looking I found at the bookstore as a last copy hidden among the fiction shelves. A little silly, in a fun way. Not a favourite, but a good humourous, fast read. A good book to be working on during a busy university schedule!
akc
Tried to wade through the present tense perspective (which I hate) and the twee writing, but had to give up. It felt like the author was just trying too hard to be clever and droll. I may finish it someday, but today is not that day.
Jodi
Funny and tragic, this book is as much a political commentary as it is a story of empowering women to fight back against rape. A black comedy that some may not appreciate but I was certainly able to find humor in it.
Karen
I had such high hopes for this book, but about one third of the way through, the thing just fell apart. Crappy writing, a plot line that became more shredded by the second, stupid characters. Blech.
Kylie
It starts out as a fun way of presenting a serious issue, then once you're hooked, turns into a ridiculous anti-capitalist diatribe with no plot.
I really like capitalism.
Beth
Satire! Good old fashioned satire. It is droll, amusing and disconcerting. I borrowed it from the library via my Nook and at half-way through, glad I didn't pay for it.
Katarina
Zanimiva fantazijska zgodba in miselna vaja, ni mi pa toliko sedel način, kako je napisana. Radikalna zgodba o tem, kako se je svet znebil posiljevalcev.
Flynn Connolly
Satire is difficult to do, but this one is well done. Women fighting back has always been my favorite theme. We need more books like this one.
Cassie
Straight up satire. Hilariously nails Manarchists and Men's Rights Activists. Good rapist-killing anti-capitalist vigilante fun.
Amy
Although I never LOL-ed, I applaud the authors for this book. Also for Grandma Ahn.
Debbie
Not my typical read, but it is knitting related.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Derrick Jensen is an American author and environmental activist living in Crescent City, California. He has published several books questioning and critiquing contemporary society and its values, including A Language Older Than Words, The Culture of Make Believe, and Endgame. He holds a B.S. in Mineral Engineering Physics from the Colorado School of Mines and an M.F.A. in Creative Writing from Eas...more
More about Derrick Jensen...
A Language Older Than Words Endgame, Vol. 1: The Problem of Civilization The Culture of Make Believe Endgame, Vol. 2: Resistance Walking on Water: Reading, Writing, and Revolution