Start by marking “The Second Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins #3)” as Want to Read:
The Second Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins #3)

The Second Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins #3)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,780 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Lawrence Sanders's masterpiece, The 1st Deadly Sin, set a standard for today's novels of psychological suspense. Now, retired Captain Ed Delaney returns to a distinctly urban milieu of paranoia and impulsive violence to solve a brutal murder that shocks New York's unshockable art world.

The victim is Victor Maitland. Long-considered one of the world's greatest artists, he
Published April 15th 1987 by Berkley (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Second Deadly Sin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Deadly Sin

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Best Series of Books Ever
29th out of 36 books — 7 voters
Sleeping Murder by Agatha ChristieElephants Can Remember by Agatha ChristieThe Cater Street Hangman by Anne PerryA Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis PetersAn Unsuitable Job for a Woman by P.D. James
Best Mysteries from the 1970s
72nd out of 84 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Aya Ammar
Apr 25, 2016 Aya Ammar rated it liked it
A classic crime book. It's been a long time since I've read one. It was an Ok read-nothing spectacular. I felt like the story dragged a bit. Also, the toxic masculinity ideals in this book are unbelievable. It felt like chief Delaney was this big awesome alpha male- it was annoying. Plus, the fragile women with sensitive sensibilities were also annoying. Other than that, a solid book with an interesting plot. I learned a bit about art dealers, the art scene, and the American tax system. Now, I'm ...more
Taylor Pet
Mar 31, 2014 Taylor Pet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
During third quarter I read the novel The Second Deadly Sin by Lawrence Sanders. This in a fiction, American novel in which a retired police captain for the NYPD comes out of retirement to help solve a very deadly case that continues to take lives of people in their art scene.

This novel is a very advanced read and I would suggest it a more mature audience as well as readers who are patient since the story does take a bit to get interesting. Although it is a more complex read once it gets moving
Michelle
Aug 05, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the second book more than the first one I think. I've started the third one and bought the fourth in anticipation of wanting to read more & more!

I love the main character and the way he thinks. Yes, the series is dated but it is still very interesting reading. I enjoy older books that don't include high tech police work but using the good old fashioned brain.
Andy Henion
Jan 16, 2016 Andy Henion rated it it was amazing
"Boone was raising his head in a drunk's delayed response, features changing comically to surprise, outrage. Delaney, swinging an arm from the shoulder, hit the sergeant across the face with an open palm. It smacked the man's head around, left him quivering, race reddening.

'"Cocksucker,' Delaney said, without expression."

Delaney, a retired chief of detectives in NYC, and his subordinate Sgt. Boone, an alcoholic, are partners trying to solve a high-profile killing. Boone gets shit-faced drunk. D
Kathleen Hagen
The Second Deadly Sin, by Lawrence Sanders, b-plus, Narrated by Marc Vieter, Produced by Audible Inc., downloaded from audible.com.

Retired Captain Ed Delaney from NYPD, returns. While he is retired, he is clearly bored. And when he is asked to re-investigate a case that the police seem to have mishandled, and to work with the police, he is eager to do so. The characters in this police procedural are wonderful. Maitland. Long-considered one of the world's greatest artists, he excelled in capturin
Dharia Scarab
Apr 12, 2014 Dharia Scarab rated it liked it

4 sta
Rohit P. Enghakat
Dec 10, 2012 Rohit P. Enghakat rated it it was ok
The pace is too slow. I do not particularly like the author but the title interested me so just picked it and started reading. Half-way through and I was just trying to kill my time and the book.
Cassandra
Jul 10, 2014 Cassandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-mystery
I enjoyed this book immensely, much more than the first, which in a way is odd because the first was much more adventurous and experimental, it took risks and did a few great things, whereas this is much more comfortable -- which is perhaps why I enjoyed it more. It is a rather standard mystery, unlike the first in that the reader does not know who the culprit is, and so has the joy of the investigation and discovery, seeing the art world through Delaney's eyes and trying to figure out who is re ...more
Lynne Favreau
Feb 23, 2012 Lynne Favreau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the series oh so long ago-late 1970's. I recall it being a favorite series, Don't know how it's aged.
Deepak
Jan 20, 2014 Deepak rated it it was ok
Frankly speaking, I found this boring and difficult to get through. The investigation procedure was not at all depicted interestingly. This is not usually a problem. However, I did not find the central mystery itself very engaging. The protagonist was insufferable. There is nothing worse than a hero-type who is forever dispensing advice to all. The remaining cast of characters was also not very interesting. The most interesting character for me was the huge cop who joins the investigating team.

T
Ruth
Jul 23, 2011 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"c1977. I love Lawrence Sander's (March 15, 1920 â“ February 7, 1998) writing style. The second deadly sin being gluttony (Gluttony is the over-indulgence and over-consumption of anything to the point of waste.)- it was always going to be interesting to see how this theme was going to be worked through the story. It concerns a brutal killing that shocked New York City's ""unshockable"" art underworld. In an essay about ""Menacing Characters"", the following quote appeared, ""By contrast, menace ...more
Caroline
The "Deadly Sin" series, is fun to read because of the fact that it is just a plain old-fashioned police investigation. No fancy twists or complicated police detectives as is found in most of my other books. in each of his books, Chief Delaney, leads the investigation, even though now he is retired and working as a consultant. There is always an underlying "sin" around which the murder is centered, so my friend, Ann, and I take turns trying to guess what it is before the book ends.
Aleisha Z Coleman
Mar 31, 2015 Aleisha Z Coleman rated it really liked it
The tone and feel of this Edward X. Delaney series is extremely satisfying to me. Dark, a bit brooding, old fashioned police work and good honest characters. Love them and look forward to the next in the series!
Kay
Feb 05, 2016 Kay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am just so hooked on these books. I love Edward X. Delaney and seeing how he solves the crimes. This one is about a murdered artist. Loved the new characters introduced in this one.
William Wood
Jul 16, 2015 William Wood rated it really liked it
Edward X. Delaney tracks down his second serial killer. I was committed to see him through it and was becoming comfortable with the old characters and enjoyed the new ones.
David K.
Jan 26, 2016 David K. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Lawrence Sanders book

I have always liked Edward X. Delaney books. I read this a long time ago. Thank goodness I forgot this plot.
Danny M
Aug 15, 2011 Danny M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults who enjoy suspense novels.
Recommended to Danny by: Book Review
This book was written in the 70''s and is a classic Police, murder novel. The characters are very realistic and likeable. The story follows an easy to read story line. The author Lawrence Sanders has an excellent writing style that will keep you engrossed in the storyline. This is the second book in a series of I believe 9 books. If you start reading this book you will not be able to put it down. Excellent!

The Second Deadly Sin
Nico Garassino
Novela polcíaca. Interesantes conceptos sobre el mundo del arte. Buena lectura de verano, no más que eso.
Josefina Wagner
May 04, 2016 Josefina Wagner rated it really liked it
Sürükleyici güzel bir anlatım ilginç konu.
Asma Qadriyah
Nov 26, 2014 Asma Qadriyah rated it really liked it
Shelves: awsome-towsome
A very good book after a very long time..
Bonnie Murray
Apr 25, 2014 Bonnie Murray rated it liked it
Good. New author for me.
Ross
Mar 13, 2016 Ross rated it it was amazing
Exceleent!
Richard Miller
Aug 05, 2014 Richard Miller rated it liked it
you know how it is going to end 3/4 into the book.
Steve
Apr 26, 2014 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but not great. A little long winded in my opinion. I'll still want to read the rest of the series, but it took a long time for this one to get interesting.
Theresa Sivelle
Apr 15, 2014 Theresa Sivelle rated it it was ok
This was just okay. I thought that the writing was dated and I'm not sure I would have appreciated it even when it was originally published.
Joni Holland
Jan 18, 2016 Joni Holland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doreen
Feb 11, 2014 Doreen rated it did not like it
I was rooting for the killer at the end. This book brings me all over the place. Finished it feeling disjointed
Phair
Aug 31, 2009 Phair rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club, mystery
Read for f2f Mystery group. This seemed very dated- women's lib is a new thing & a source of argument between husband & wife, disco is the new music, forensics are in their scientific infancy & psychological profiling is minimal at best. The ending was not satisfying- did I miss the motive for the perp's behavior? Of the 8 in the group, only one liked this book (not me!). One mystery that does not withstand the test of time.
Mel Allred
I read this book over three years ago and had to read the reviews to recall it. So that says something. However, after recalling it, I have some specific memory of it and it's overall sense is still intact. I did not read any of the author's other Deadly Sins books, so I would suspect that I wasn't that caught up in his value.
Jevon Scott
Sep 23, 2011 Jevon Scott rated it it was amazing
Lawrence Sanders nails in in these four series, I have read them all and one of them twice. I first read about him in the seventh grade, and although deceased I would still recommend these books to anyone who loves reading about a gritty, know it all, down to earth detective that lives for his job and solves the most hideous of crimes.
  • Streets of Blood (Shadowrun, #8)
  • The Delta Star
  • Firefox Down! (Mitchell Gant, #2)
  • Scent of a Killer
  • Joanna's Husband and David's Wife
  • Exposé (Sally Harrington, #1)
  • The Warlord
  • Escape the Night
  • Paloverde
  • Suspicion of Betrayal (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #4)
  • French Kiss
  • The Vines of Yarrabee
  • Sacred Ground
  • Captive Embraces (Captive, #2)
  • Mercy
  • The Animal Factory
  • Faller fritt som i en dröm (Välfärdsstatens fall, #3)
  • Leaders: Strategies for Taking Charge
There is more than one author with this name

Lawrence Sanders was the New York Times bestselling author of more than forty mystery and suspense novels. The Anderson Tapes, completed when he was fifty years old, received an Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America for best first novel. His prodigious oeuvre encompasses the Edward X. Delaney, Archy McNally, and Timothy Cone series, along with
More about Lawrence Sanders...

Deadly Sins (5 books)
  • The Anderson Tapes (Deadly Sins #1)
  • The First Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins, #2)
  • The Third Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins #4)
  • The Fourth Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins, #5)