Start by marking “The Second Deadly Sin” as Want to Read:
The Second Deadly Sin

The Second Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins #3)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,403 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Lawrence Sanders's masterpiece, The 1st Deadly Sin, set a standard for today's novels of psychological suspense. Now, retired Captain Ed Delaney returns to a distinctly urban milieu of paranoia and impulsive violence to solve a brutal murder that shocks New York's unshockable art world.

The victim is Victor Maitland. Long-considered one of the world's greatest artists, he...more
Published April 15th 1987 by Berkley (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Second Deadly Sin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Deadly Sin

Taylor Pet
During third quarter I read the novel The Second Deadly Sin by Lawrence Sanders. This in a fiction, American novel in which a retired police captain for the NYPD comes out of retirement to help solve a very deadly case that continues to take lives of people in their art scene.

This novel is a very advanced read and I would suggest it a more mature audience as well as readers who are patient since the story does take a bit to get interesting. Although it is a more complex read once it gets moving...more
Michelle
I enjoyed the second book more than the first one I think. I've started the third one and bought the fourth in anticipation of wanting to read more & more!

I love the main character and the way he thinks. Yes, the series is dated but it is still very interesting reading. I enjoy older books that don't include high tech police work but using the good old fashioned brain.
Kathleen Hagen
The Second Deadly Sin, by Lawrence Sanders, b-plus, Narrated by Marc Vieter, Produced by Audible Inc., downloaded from audible.com.

Retired Captain Ed Delaney from NYPD, returns. While he is retired, he is clearly bored. And when he is asked to re-investigate a case that the police seem to have mishandled, and to work with the police, he is eager to do so. The characters in this police procedural are wonderful. Maitland. Long-considered one of the world's greatest artists, he excelled in capturin...more
Dharia Scarab

4 sta...more
Rohit P. Enghakat
The pace is too slow. I do not particularly like the author but the title interested me so just picked it and started reading. Half-way through and I was just trying to kill my time and the book.
Cassandra
I enjoyed this book immensely, much more than the first, which in a way is odd because the first was much more adventurous and experimental, it took risks and did a few great things, whereas this is much more comfortable -- which is perhaps why I enjoyed it more. It is a rather standard mystery, unlike the first in that the reader does not know who the culprit is, and so has the joy of the investigation and discovery, seeing the art world through Delaney's eyes and trying to figure out who is re...more
Lynne Favreau
I read the series oh so long ago-late 1970's. I recall it being a favorite series, Don't know how it's aged.
Deepak
Frankly speaking, I found this boring and difficult to get through. The investigation procedure was not at all depicted interestingly. This is not usually a problem. However, I did not find the central mystery itself very engaging. The protagonist was insufferable. There is nothing worse than a hero-type who is forever dispensing advice to all. The remaining cast of characters was also not very interesting. The most interesting character for me was the huge cop who joins the investigating team.

T...more
Ruth
"c1977. I love Lawrence Sander's (March 15, 1920 – February 7, 1998) writing style. The second deadly sin being gluttony (Gluttony is the over-indulgence and over-consumption of anything to the point of waste.)- it was always going to be interesting to see how this theme was going to be worked through the story. It concerns a brutal killing that shocked New York City's ""unshockable"" art underworld. In an essay about ""Menacing Characters"", the following quote appeared, ""By contrast, menace...more
Danny M
Aug 15, 2011 Danny M rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults who enjoy suspense novels.
Recommended to Danny by: Book Review
This book was written in the 70''s and is a classic Police, murder novel. The characters are very realistic and likeable. The story follows an easy to read story line. The author Lawrence Sanders has an excellent writing style that will keep you engrossed in the storyline. This is the second book in a series of I believe 9 books. If you start reading this book you will not be able to put it down. Excellent!

The Second Deadly Sin
Bonnie Murray
Good. New author for me.
Richard Miller
you know how it is going to end 3/4 into the book.
Steve
Good, but not great. A little long winded in my opinion. I'll still want to read the rest of the series, but it took a long time for this one to get interesting.
Theresa Sivelle
This was just okay. I thought that the writing was dated and I'm not sure I would have appreciated it even when it was originally published.
Doreen
I was rooting for the killer at the end. This book brings me all over the place. Finished it feeling disjointed
Phair
Read for f2f Mystery group. This seemed very dated- women's lib is a new thing & a source of argument between husband & wife, disco is the new music, forensics are in their scientific infancy & psychological profiling is minimal at best. The ending was not satisfying- did I miss the motive for the perp's behavior? Of the 8 in the group, only one liked this book (not me!). One mystery that does not withstand the test of time.
Mel Allred
I read this book over three years ago and had to read the reviews to recall it. So that says something. However, after recalling it, I have some specific memory of it and it's overall sense is still intact. I did not read any of the author's other Deadly Sins books, so I would suspect that I wasn't that caught up in his value.
Jevon Scott
Lawrence Sanders nails in in these four series, I have read them all and one of them twice. I first read about him in the seventh grade, and although deceased I would still recommend these books to anyone who loves reading about a gritty, know it all, down to earth detective that lives for his job and solves the most hideous of crimes.
Deb
Dec 29, 2009 Deb rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teens & adults who like detective stories
Shelves: mystery-fun
I like how Sanders adds humor through character personality & perspective to the grim story of murders for greed. An added plus is that it is very hard to figure out "whodunnit." Despite these pluses, can't call it "great literature" and don't really know why. It's a fun easy read.
Joel Ungar
I read this book when I was 17 and on a 6 week trip to Israel. It was a great thriller with some good characters.

And if I remember correctly, the name of a major character was Victor Maitland, the same name as the bad guy in the first Beverly Hills Cop movie.
Sep 12, 2008 Laura added it
This is a murder mystery about a very "unlikeable" artist whose life ended sooner than it should have. I like murder mysteries and this one was no exceptions. It was hard to figure out the killer before the end because there were lots of suspects.
Brenda Romero
This book set the standard for me of not only what a detective story should BR, but also who the detective should be. Sadly, there will never be another Edward X Delaney.
Edward Creter
Sanders captures the talk and feel of the New York Cop novel so well you get hungry when the detectives go out for sandwiches!
Desiree1962 Oude Groothuis
All the Deadly Sin books are great!!!
His main character is a guy you will never forget!
Per
I liked this one, but not as good as the first deadly sin.. but still a must read
Boobie_angela Ocay
and the thrill keeps going... and those sandwiches....
Julie
The 2nd Deadly Sin by Lawrence Sanders (1999)
Ginny
A Delaney novel, murder in the art world.
Merja Pohjola
Rereading these ;) Great books!
Sandy
Quick read, always entertaining.
  • The Delta Star
  • Firefox Down! (Mitchell Gant, #2)
  • Suspicion of Betrayal (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #4)
  • Mercy
  • Sacred Ground
  • French Kiss
  • Escape the Night
  • Faller fritt som i en dröm (The Fall of the Welfare State, #3)
  • The Gentle Axe (Porfiry Petrovich, #1)
  • Nameless (Less Series, #2)
  • Wish Come True (Carson Springs Novel)
  • Beaches II: I'll Be There
  • Mysteries of Winterthurn
  • Captive Embraces (Captive, #2)
  • Curious George and the Pizza
  • The Animal Factory
  • The Abominable Man (Martin Beck #7)
  • Terrific
Lawrence Sanders was the New York Times bestselling author of more than forty mystery and suspense novels. The Anderson Tapes, completed when he was fifty years old, received an Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America for best first novel. His prodigious oeuvre encompasses the Edward X. Delaney, Archy McNally, and Timothy Cone series, along with his acclaimed Commandment books. Stand-alone...more
More about Lawrence Sanders...
The First Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins, #2) McNally's Secret The Third Deadly Sin McNally's Luck (Archy McNally, #2) The Fourth Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins, #5)