The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit

The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Emma Thompson celebrates 110 years of Peter Rabbit with a new, original tale written by Oscar-winning actress and screenwriter Emma Thompson, based on the original tales by Beatrix Potter.
In this story, Peter's adventures take him beyond the boundaries of Mr. McGregor's garden and all the way to Scotland With 72 pages of beautiful text and illustrations, this hardcover pic...more
Board book, 72 pages
Published September 18th 2012 by Warne (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit

Rekha
I have a definite fondness for Potter's Peter Rabbit so that's probably most of it. The drawing and story are perfectly done for Beatrix Potter fans- cozy, comforting, pastoral sweetness. Thompson did a great job of keeping the tone of the original books in her language, while gently updating the feel just the right amount. It's a bit long and has some challenging words so would make a good one-on-one read aloud.
Lisa Pollison
Very clever and sweet. I'm just very jealous that Emma Thompson got a LETTER from Peter Rabbit himself asking her to write the book. Benjamin Bunny makes a cameo and so do the McGregors and their garden. Thompson works in a clever vocabulary word on one page, much in the same manner that Potter often did. We do get to meet a HUGE Scottish bunny in a kilt named Finlay McBurney. How Peter wound up visiting them is very typical. if you grew up on these books or simply read them a hundred times to t...more
Kathy
Well, I work at a bookstore and this book came across my desk this morning. I have never read any Peter Rabbit books before, but I have always meant to. So, with that in mind, I just had to pick it up.....and then I couldn't put it down. What a sweet story! Now, I definitely have to catch up and read the original Peter Rabbit books!
ღ Carol jinx~☆~
I love Beatrix Potter's art and stories of Peter Rabbit and all his friends.
This is a really good story for kids and the illustrations are amazing. I want more adventures to read about that rascally rabbit.
Zen
I rolled my eyes the entire way through. I can't imagine any child finding this entertaining either.
Alice Bliss
As far as picture books go i really loved "The further tale of peter rabbit"It was sweet and cozy and i felt it worked well with the other peter rabbit books.The illustrations where nice and i enjoyed reading to my younger siblings.In fact i learned to read peter rabbit books by seeing this one.And i even found a television series that created all Beatrix potter's books into a show "it's called "the world of peter rabbit and friends",i really fell in love with it.I kind of miss interesting child...more
Katy Noyes
Lovely, beautifully illustrated and a very faithful story.
Andrew
Review Taken From The Pewter Wolf

I always thought I was a Beatrix Potter fan. I loved Peter Rabbit, Benjamin Bunny, Jemima Puddle-Duck, Tom Kitten. I always thought that Mrs Tiggy-Winkle and Mr Jeremy Fisher would make the perfect couple (I have no idea why!). And my favourite tale by Beatrix Potter is The Tailor of Gloucester. So, when I heard that Emma Thompson was writing a "further tale", I decided to do some research... and discovered that I haven't read even half of the Beatrix Potter coll...more
Melinda
I have two confessions about this book. First of all, I decided to read it to my kids based solely on the fact that Emma Thompson wrote it. I adore Emma Thompson and I've always felt that she had a good way of relating to children.

Secondly, and this may be a bit blasphemous, but I enjoyed this book far more than any book written by Beatrix Potter. I remember not especially liking the original books as a child and was rather aghast to discover how harsh they could be when I re-read them to my own...more
Jessica Harrison
Full review at Cracking the Cover
“The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit” is perfectly in keeping with its predecessors. Both the story and the illustrations are charming. At more than 60 pages, it’s longer than most picture books, but the text is sparse and simple, which makes it feel shorter than it is.

This edition also comes with a CD recording by Emma Thompson. And while I thoroughly enjoyed how the actress/screenwriter/author brought the characters to life, I did have some issues with the recordi...more
Nicolette
IMAGINE my surprise and delight when I picked up The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit to find that British actress Emma Thompson had written the story. Thompson holds a special place in my heart because I interviewed her in February 2007 in Grahamstown’s township when she came to South Africa to talk about HIV/Aids and violence against women and children.
But back to the book. In the foreword to The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit Thompson says she was surprised when she opened her front door one day to...more
Chenoa
Problems I had with this book:

1. The plot made no real sense, and lacked the urgency of Beatrix Potter's stories.

2. The picture are a poor imitation of Potter. While Beatrix Potter carefully drew each leaf to reflect a real species of plant life, these illustrations exhibit none of this careful eye for detail. Peter Rabbit is devoid of much facial expression, and his eyes look blank.

3. Thompson's Peter Rabbit is relatively passive, and his personality is seriously lacking. Lots of stuff happe...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Peter Rabbit is off on a new adventure and this one may prove more exciting than his visit to Mr. McGregor's garden and his escapade with Cousin Benjamin Bunny. Peter takes a nap in a picnic basket and ends up in Scotland.

What I Thought: Beatrix Potter and her books have long fascinated me. so much so that I undertook a Beatrix Potter Reading Project in 2010-2011. Emma Thompson and Eleanor Taylor's The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit is charming. Thompson stays true to the character Potter created...more
Thebruce1314
I saw this book when it was originally published and thought it looked cute, but the fact that the new edition matches my Beatrix Potter set sold me on it. While this isn't exactly in the same style, it is very close, and I like that Thompson added a bit of her own personality to it. A sweet little story, with the added bonus that Peter gets to visit Scotland! A beautiful addition to baby's (my) library!
Marie
Oct 23, 2013 Marie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
It was wonderful, true to the tradition of Beatrix Potter in both format, writing, and illustrations. Of particular delight was the inclusion of two letters between Emma Thompson and Frederick Warne, the publisher as they embarked on this journey of once again celebrating Peter Rabbit. I may only be slightly biased as I adore Emma Thompson and my sister (who quite possibly loves her more than I do)and I got to meet her, talk with her, and have our pictures taken with her at a book signing. She i...more
Jenn
Fantastic recreation of the illustrations. A nice attempt at continuing Miss Potter's work.
Kate
I'm normally not one for children's books written by celebrities...although I always end up curious. Emma Thompson's "Further Tale of Peter Rabbit" is more imaginative than most celebrity books and doesn't require you to be a fan (although, admittedly, I love her in her various Jane Austen adaptations) to enjoy the book. It really is a creative retelling of Peter Rabbit and the size of the book and beautiful images make it ideal for storytime for older children. I do wonder if many of the jokes...more
Kandice
The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit is easier for children of the 21st century to comprehend rather than the original works of Beatrix Potter. By the time children would understand the language used in Potter's series, they would totally be over bunnies, rodents, and other small animals. So bravo to Emma Thompson for keeping with the Potter theme, yet crafting her story telling to compliment Potter without losing the audience for which it was intended.
The illustrations are beautiful, but I prefer...more
Ashley
What a charming continuation of an already beloved character. Emma Thompson does a wonderful job bringing the wit, spirit, and mischief of Peter Rabbit back into the literary world for a new generation to enjoy. This tale is true to the spirit of Beatrix Potter but also full of fun and adventure.

The tale is even further enhanced through her marvelous reading (if you get the version with the CD include). It is charming, enjoyable, and giggle worthy for adults and children alike.
Michel
One of the great things about a 6-year old grandson is you have an excuse to read things like this (just to be sure it's age-appropriate, you see).
A fantastic book! Wakes up the little boy (or girl) in us: the words, the thoughts, the questions, the marvel and the anguish of not understanding everything.
And the story is told with such gusto, why even the typefaces participate.
Highly recommended, whether you have a 6-year old to share it with or not.
Jane Williams
A lovely little book, with just enough plot to be fun - well, it is, like the original, aimed at children, and very nostalgic adults like me. The language is spot on, the landscape illustrations are spot on (as far as I can tell on a B&W Kindle display - may have to get the hardcopy), only Peter himself is a little disappointing. Somehow, he isn't quite right in all the scenes.
Still very glad I got it.
Christiane
It's the "further adventures" of a beloved children's book character and it's by a celebrity author...I was completely prepared to hate it. However---it is utterly charming and manages to pay homage to the original and still be charming and funny all on its own merits. This will be a lovely gift book for this holiday season! I also highly recommend the companion CD, read by Emma Thompson herself.
Sarah BT
I was nervous when I heard there would be a new Peter Rabbit book, but Emma Thompson captures the essence of the original tales perfectly. It's a fun, delightful tale that fits Peter wonderfully and I really enjoyed it. It has a sly sense of humor. The illustrations are beautiful and look just like the original Peter Rabbit tales. A very nice addition to any collection.
Barbara
I love the graceful way Thompson picks up Peter's tale. It feels like it has only been a short time since the end of the original story. And who doesn't want a change in scenery?

The art is lovely, gently humorous and of a size that I can use in it story time, unlike the charming tiny size of Potter's original series of books.

Thank you, Emma.
Jess
Full disclosure: Never read more than one or two Peter Rabbit stories. I'm good with that.

It's fine. I don't understand why the sandwiches would be cheese and pickle (how terrible) or why they run into Scottish rabbits for Highlander games but well, whatever.
Sidra
I found the storyline slightly choppy, it didn't have the smooth narrative usually found in children books.
Nancy
I, a huge fan of Beatrix Potter, was skeptical of anyone trying to recreate or continue Peter Rabbit. I was happily surprised. This one is set in Scotland, which is delightful. Peter still has a big appetite for trouble. The illustrations are just different enough but eerily close to the originals. It totally works! Bravo!
Jocelin
Emma Thompson you are totally incredible. You act, you write is there nothing you can't do? This has the look and feel of the classic Peter Rabbit stories. Really great book. This is one that can be passed down from one generation to the next. It is a keepsake for any family library.
Beatrice Gormley
Really disappointing. I thought if anyone could channel Beatrix Potter, it would be Emma Thompson--I love her as an actor. But this story seemed wordy and coy, devoid of Potter's magical appeal to children. I was hoping to give this book to my 3-year-old grandson, but no.
Beverly
Thompson writes this little adventure in the style of Potter, and Taylor illustrates the story in the style of Potter. Peter is up to his old tricks of getting into trouble everywhere he goes. This story is an excellent sequel to one of the most famous rabbit stories around.
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine: Further Peter Rabbit 3 145 Jun 24, 2013 04:35PM
  • The Green Bath
  • Angus and the Cat
  • The Queen of France
  • I Loathe You
  • The Snatchabook
Emma Thompson is an Emmy-, BAFTA-, Golden Globe- and two time Academy Award-winning English actress, comedian, and screenwriter. She is also a patron of the Refugee Council.
More about Emma Thompson...
The Sense and Sensibility Screenplay and Diaries: Bringing Jane Austen's Novel to Film Sense and Sensibility The Screenplay Nanny McPhee Returns Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang The Christmas Tale of Peter Rabbit